Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

So I downloaded the RealityCapture demo to give it a try, and compare it to photoscan, and, honestly I'm left a little disappointed.

The program seems nice, and while I understand the demo not letting you export a model, I couldn't believe that it also has no way to view a model in software. The only thing you can view in the program is the point cloud, however it will render pictures of the full scene as .png files, which is how I was able to finally gauge its quality, but it was an awkward way to try and view your work. I was very pleased with how fast it worked, it was light years faster than photoscan, but the quality just didn't seem to match up.

Both of these are from the same source data, on the first one, done with RealityCapture, I set the settings to high:

On the second one, done with photoscan, I left the settings at medium:

The difference in quality is readily apparent, and the second one could almost be mistaken for a photograph itself.

Is it possible I'm doing something wrong with RealityCapture? I just kind of went off some basic tutorials, but theres so many options that it's certainly possible I'm missing some settings. I'd love if this is the case, because when I say RealityCapture was faster, like, wow was it ever faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Newbie VR user post.

I convinced myself to get a Playstation VR, after trying it out for an hour at the Sony showroom. I've been on the fence for a long time, but the cost is low enough and the first wave of content looks deep and sustained enough that I can indulge my curiosity.

FuzzySlippers posted:

That's one of the things Sony figured out. The PSVR sits a little more comfortably and this is especially noticeable for people who can't get a good rift fit I believe.

This is accurate, Sony appears to have almost nailed glasses accommodation. Looking ahead or down is perfect, but looking up more than a little exerted a bit of uncomfortable pressure, which I chalked up to the headset not being fitted right by the assistant and which will hopefully go away at home.

I had no problems using a Rift either (probably a DK2, it was a while ago), for what it's worth.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

StarkRavingMad posted:

Yeah, I can make the choice between eventually crushing my forehead or eventually crushing my cheeks. Maybe I just have a horrible misshapen head.

Nah, this happens to me too. One thing that's helped alleviate the pressure a little bit is loosening the top strap and pulling it waaay down on the back of my head.

ljw1004
Jan 18, 2005

rum

Bhodi posted:

If you're disabled, VR is life-changing.

:( Tried it yesterday with my father-in-law who has early-onset Parkinson's. I was hoping the Vive mountaintop demo (from the summit of a mountain his home state of Washington) would remind him of all the hikes he used to loved. He in his mind had got really excited thinking back of waterskiing, his all-time favorite activity before the illness.

Unfortunately the experience failed completely. VR requires you to have good proprioception, knowing where your body+limbs are just from muscle positions, without relying on sight. But proprioception is precisely the thing that goes early in Parkinson's - e.g. when walking in real life you often fall over because you no longer have a good sense of where your balance or limbs are. So although he could move around the room fine in his wheelchair with the VR goggles, he just couldn't "get" it.

As for his hope of waterskiing in VR? I think that's precisely the kind of game that would cause nausea.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

AndrewP posted:

Nah, this happens to me too. One thing that's helped alleviate the pressure a little bit is loosening the top strap and pulling it waaay down on the back of my head.

This is important. The back of the strap should be grabbing the very back of your head. Where your neck meets your skull is where the bottom of the strap should be about. When you have the strap set up right, the weight should be mostly evenly distributed.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

StarkRavingMad posted:

Yeah, I can make the choice between eventually crushing my forehead or eventually crushing my cheeks. Maybe I just have a horrible misshapen head.

Really hate that foam. It feels way too hard to really spread the weight. I found it worse on the forehead though. First time using it, I got a massive headache from that

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Really hate that foam. It feels way too hard to really spread the weight. I found it worse on the forehead though. First time using it, I got a massive headache from that

I bought one of those cloth VR covers which helps a little. Like I said, it still eventually crushes my face, but at least it isn't as unpleasant as that hard foam against the skin.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If you can get a good cover, it's pretty nice. The first ones from VRCover were complete poo poo. They just brought out a new version but I will not give them any more money.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
If someone could come up with a cover that alleviates 'VR face' (the ring around your eyes) that'd be pretty great.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
My home-made cover of neoprene layered with velcro and topped with ShamWow is pretty OK. I usually prefer it to the included foams, at least.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
Got sent a devkit, including a set of the experimental touch controllers. I've seen a bunch of the demos that use them, but unfortunately there's no demos available to developers through Oculus just yet.

The neatest thing so far is that Steam VR supports them completely, so you can use them as a surrogate for the VIVE controllers.

I'm optimistic about VR, I'm interested in seeing what Sony can do with VR on consoles, and if that can act as an entry point into VR for the masses. They are certainly pouring a bunch of resources and money into it, so I hope they know what they're doing anyhow.

Kernel Monsoon fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Sep 11, 2016

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Supernorn posted:

Got sent a devkit, including a set of the experimental touch controllers. I've seen a bunch of the demos that use them, but unfortunately there's no demos available to developers through Oculus just yet.

Do you have the Vive? Interested in hearing some comparisons between the two now that you have the Touch controllers.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Supernorn posted:

The neatest thing so far is that Steam VR supports them completely, so you can use them as a surrogate for the VIVE controllers.

I'm optimistic about VR, I'm interested in seeing what Sony can do with VR on consoles, and if that can act as an entry point into VR for the masses. They are certainly pouring a bunch of resources and money into it, so I hope they know what they're doing anyhow.

This looks great but unless your hands are huge, why the gently caress is the handle so short? This would bother me so much.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

s.i.r.e. posted:

This looks great but unless your hands are huge, why the gently caress is the handle so short? This would bother me so much.

Im glad I'm not the only one to notice this. It took me a while to get used to, but I don't like the way my ring and pinky fingers have to overlap to hold the controller.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

AndrewP posted:

Do you have the Vive? Interested in hearing some comparisons between the two now that you have the Touch controllers.

We've had a Vive for a lot longer, yes. They are comparable, but the interesting difference in the demos i did try is that the touch controllers try to represent your hands themselves, rather than a tool that you're holding. I'd personally lean towards the touch controllers because I like that it can track certain hand gestures, but I'd like to have spent more time with some demos that use them in that way before I could say one is better than the other.

s.i.r.e. posted:

This isn't final hardware, but the size of the handle doesn't seem to be an issue for me personally. It's comfortable to hold and is sized pretty comparatively to that of an Xbox controller:

Kernel Monsoon fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Sep 11, 2016

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
^^beaten
Looks about the same as the xbox one controller. I just held mine, and the palm rest part stops at about the same area as it does in that picture.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Supernorn posted:

Can you use the Vive lighthouse controllers with the CV1 headset? Can you hook up the Rift wands with the Vive wands at the same time (each using their own tracking system) for four tracked controllers?

Looking forward to low cost third party full body motion capture systems, and whatever crazy obscure uses people come up with for them.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

How is the hand tracking? It's a neat idea, but if the SDK or tracking itself is wonky then it may be a pain to work with.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Supernorn posted:

We've had a Vive for a lot longer, yes. They are comparable, but the interesting difference in the demos i did try is that the touch controllers try to represent your hands themselves, rather than a tool that you're holding. I'd personally lean towards the touch controllers because I like that it can track certain hand gestures, but I'd like to have spent more time with some demos that use them in that way before I could say one is better than the other.

This isn't final hardware, but the size of the handle doesn't seem to be an issue for me personally. It's comfortable to hold and is sized pretty comparatively to that of an Xbox controller:

How easy are the battery doors to open? I have the previous sample and it's a total bitch to replace the batteries.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
so has anyone demoed the VR yet? i am tempted to get it at christmas or for my birthday and i want to hear peoples demo impressions.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Basic Chunnel posted:

But seriously, the only obvious internal VR use that I can envision is telecommunication, eg creating those virtual corporate star chambers that cyberpunk fiction always features. Everything else I think it would depend on the scale of public adoption and its use as something beyond novelty - that is, will consumers not think it strange or laborious to move through a virtual grocery isle to make their selections in Freshdirect?

Not groceries, but Ikea already have a VR environment to show their kitchens and I'll be astonished if by, say the end of next year, there isn't a virtual showroom in all of their stores where you can show up with the dimensions of your room and they'll recreate it to let you room plan by dragging and dropping sofas and tables around.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Dapper_Swindler posted:

so has anyone demoed the VR yet? i am tempted to get it at christmas or for my birthday and i want to hear peoples demo impressions.

Uh what?

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

So, I finally got around to trying some more photogrammetry experiments, with the largest one yet. While I was on holiday I recorded thousands and thousands of pictures of various things I wanted to try and reconstruct in 3D, this one was of my parents cabin out in the woods.

Again I'm using photoscan, and with this test roughly 1300 photos were taken of every inch of the place. I ran the alignment, and dense point cloud all in one go, which took about 3 days of on and off processing to complete. I tried to do the mesh all in one go but it just wouldn't go, I would constantly run out of ram and blue screen or just crash the program. I've only got 24gb of ram, and thought about getting more, but my motherboard/cpu can only handle 32gb anyways and I don't think theres a chance that extra 8gb would help. I'm pretty sure when I upgrade next year I'm going to put in 128gb of ram because I'm an insane person.

Anyhoo, what I ended up doing was masking off the area to create a mesh of 1/3 the cloud, and doing 3 separate models. That was enough to go just fine, and I made 3 sets of 8192x8192 textures for each model, total polygon count is around 1.5m. The trickiest part though was just carefully lining up the models as seamlessly as possible. I made sure there was some overlap to use as a guide, and it mostly worked out ok.

As to the quality, I'm pretty happy with this first test, and this is without even delving into fixing up the model in a 3d editor of some kind, just the raw build. There are still plenty of errors as you can clearly see, specifically in the more poorly lit areas, as well as anything reflective or with too complex/thin of geometry. I'm quite disappointed one of the tables was too reflective and disappeared a bit, I can't really retake the pictures for some time.

Oh yeah, and I didn't realize until I already edited the video that I left my friggin' mouse pointer on top of the window, but I'm far too lazy to record and edit again so, eh.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybdKP45IVDQ

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Hadlock posted:

Can you use the Vive lighthouse controllers with the CV1 headset? Can you hook up the Rift wands with the Vive wands at the same time (each using their own tracking system) for four tracked controllers?

Looking forward to low cost third party full body motion capture systems, and whatever crazy obscure uses people come up with for them.

As a general rule you can't get accurate tracking across multiple tracking systems without putting some serious effort in to calibration. Relative positioning within the systems is easy, relative positioning between them is really hard.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Helicon One posted:

Not groceries, but Ikea already have a VR environment to show their kitchens and I'll be astonished if by, say the end of next year, there isn't a virtual showroom in all of their stores where you can show up with the dimensions of your room and they'll recreate it to let you room plan by dragging and dropping sofas and tables around.

Yeah, besides things like architecture and whatnot benefiting from VR, stuff like this is one of the major potential non-gaming uses I see for it. This is an especially good use because space is very important when furnishing your home, and not having enough room for things can be a huge problem.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

I think by "the VR" he means the PSVR.

One time I was in line outside Best Buy to get the PS2 at launch, and a hick drives up and asks the crowd "Are y'all here for the player?!"

ljw1004
Jan 18, 2005

rum

Supernorn posted:

I really enjoy playing Unseen Diplomacy with my Vive. The dev wrote that the Touch controllers won't work as well for this game:

quote:

"As for hardware support - even though we have Touch, we are still only working on Vive for Unseen Diplomacy. The Vive is the only device at the moment that can track the full height and volume of the room space we need, and the design of the Touch controllers means that you cannot crawl with them (darn that loop!). We don’t want to compromise the physical nature and design of the game trying to support other hardware. I don’t believe that there is anything that can stop players from trying Touch, but see this as a warning as we don’t want you to be breaking your Oculus hardware trying to play Unseen Diplomacy! For future games we will always design the game for capabilities of the hardware we plan to launch it on, so to offer the best experience for that platform."

I'd love to know if that's a real problem. Does the loop really prevent you from getting on your hands and knees and crawling through ducts?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Zero VGS posted:

I think by "the VR" he means the PSVR.

One time I was in line outside Best Buy to get the PS2 at launch, and a hick drives up and asks the crowd "Are y'all here for the player?!"

Oh, you mean the Nintendo!

Yeah, it's pretty good.

ljw1004 posted:

I'd love to know if that's a real problem. Does the loop really prevent you from getting on your hands and knees and crawling through ducts?

From what I've seen I definitely wouldn't want to put any significant weight on the loops.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Tom Guycot posted:

Photogrammetry stuff

Really enjoying these posts, keep it up!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I demoed the PSVR. It does what it says on the tin and has no obvious flaws, if you can wrangle a free one from your family go for it.

Pi Mu Rho
Apr 25, 2007

College Slice

Tom Guycot posted:

So, I finally got around to trying some more photogrammetry experiments, with the largest one yet. While I was on holiday I recorded thousands and thousands of pictures of various things I wanted to try and reconstruct in 3D, this one was of my parents cabin out in the woods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybdKP45IVDQ

That's a remarkable level of detail. A bit of cleanup and that could be almost perfect. That's the one thing I haven't quite got to grips yet - I can export a mesh into 3D Studio to clean it up, and there's apparently a way to reproject the textures in Photoscan after you've done that, but I haven't worked it out yet.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme

NRVNQSR posted:

From what I've seen I definitely wouldn't want to put any significant weight on the loops.

Maybe it's doable if you just crawl along on your elbows? But yeah, those loops don't look to be load-bearing, so it would be potentially risky.

Seems interesting to me that they say the Oculus cameras don't have a high enough tracking ceiling for their game. Wonder if you could get around that with a 4-camera setup? Regardless, the space requirements for Unseen Diplomacy are nuts - ~13'x9' area? I'm planning to clear out all everything in my computer room aside from the desk, and that'll still only leave me 9x9 to play with.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Yeah the space requirements are massive but its also the only game that really makes use of room scale so it absolutely needs it to work. I barely had enough space but was so glad I did

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

Kazy posted:

How easy are the battery doors to open? I have the previous sample and it's a total bitch to replace the batteries.

You still have to apply a bit more force to the panels than you feel comfortable doing with brand new hardware. It seems like they are aware of this as it's listed under "known issues".

quote:

I doubt the loops are designed to be load bearing so i wouldn't recommend crawling around on them, no. I don't think that means you couldn't simulate going through ducts with them, as long as you weren't an idiot about it.

As for PS VR, I briefly tried it at this years GDC and it's totally competent. If they can offer it at a good price point i think it might be the most cost effective route into VR. Maybe a little blurrier than the competition but that could be fixed with some adjustments. I love the look of it too, I'm not sure why "grey rectangle on face" was considered the best design for the Vive and Rift.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Does anybody know if they found an easy way to unlock VR functionality for Alien: Isolation? I know it's been done but I don't know if it's necessarily something you can just up and do, that will probably be my first stop when I get a VR setup.

I'm just now realizing that the area I'd use for VR is only like 7x7, probably not ideal.

ljw1004
Jan 18, 2005

rum

GlyphGryph posted:

Yeah the space requirements are massive but its also the only game that really makes use of room scale so it absolutely needs it to work. I barely had enough space but was so glad I did

My room met the space requirements just barely. But when I'm on hands and knees in the corner of the room almost underneath one of the cameras, then my Vive has a really hard time tracking me. Not sure what I can do about this. Maybe my cameras need to point more downwards?

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Basic Chunnel posted:

Does anybody know if they found an easy way to unlock VR functionality for Alien: Isolation? I know it's been done but I don't know if it's necessarily something you can just up and do, that will probably be my first stop when I get a VR setup.

I'm just now realizing that the area I'd use for VR is only like 7x7, probably not ideal.

I think the last time VR worked in Alien: Isolation was with the 0.4/0.5 SDK using the DK2, although people were able to get it running on the 0.6/0.7 SDKs as well through shenanigans. Since 0.8, however, The game was never updated to work with the later SDKs, and probably never will be.

If you're one of those people still running Windows 7 and can find someone ebaying a DK2 for cheap, you could probably install the older SDK and get it running that way, but I don't think there's currently any way to get it running on the modern hardware.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Well, poo poo. That's basically a dream game for me. Maybe in a few years if VR really takes off they'll bother to make a sequel.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
People have been working on backwards compatibility layers for older SDKs; last I checked they didn't quite go back far enough to run Alien: Isolation, but that was a couple of months ago and it was still in active development, so maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Basic Chunnel posted:

It's possible to use the VorpX injector to get it partially working, it's far from perfect and takes a lot of tinkering though.