Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is this show
Gay?
Sad?
Sad and Gay?
What the hell is wrong with you people?
View Results

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
What did Robot Chicken submit this year to best SU and Adventure Time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

RandomPauI posted:

What did Robot Chicken submit this year to best SU and Adventure Time?
Imagine if you will... a man getting hit in the groin by TWO footballs. TWO balls! In the groin! WHEELS WITHIN WHEELS!

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Man, I know no one watches AT anymore but Hall of Egress was so good. Easily one of the best episodes they've ever done.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I had no idea the Emmys were even on! I thought they happened already for some reason. Very disappointing to hear our show didn't win... baffling to hear it lost to Robot Chicken. Did they just draw it out of a hat?!

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I wouldn't be surprised. Animation barely gets any respect when it's done as a movie, how much do you think it's going to get on TV?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

MrSlam posted:

I interpreted it as a nightmare or Greg doing what Greg does

I guess Steven Universe lost at the Emmys to such greats as Robot Chicken and Archer
:/

I honestly wasn't sure Robot Chicken was still around

Alright Archer I can understand, but Robot Chicken? Who decides these things?

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I had no idea the Emmys were even on! I thought they happened already for some reason. Very disappointing to hear our show didn't win... baffling to hear it lost to Robot Chicken. Did they just draw it out of a hat?!

Media awards are always pretty arbitrary, in my experience. And that's before all the "campaigning" for particular awards. Which individual show teams would find difficult to do, probably, since those kind of campaigns are usually run by the studio, and in this case all the top entries were by Cartoon Network.

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

😤I am NOT Captain_Redbeard🧔
this is what beat the answer and hall of egress http://www.adultswim.com/videos/robot-chicken/the-robot-chicken-christmas-special-x-mas-united/

edit: not that you should waste your time watching it. I can picture the kind of person who would find this funny I'm just surprised they decide who wins emmys

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
I remember Robot Chicken was funny like 10 years ago but, hell, I was just out of high school back then.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Captain Redbeard posted:

this is what beat the answer and hall of egress http://www.adultswim.com/videos/robot-chicken/the-robot-chicken-christmas-special-x-mas-united/

edit: not that you should waste your time watching it. I can picture the kind of person who would find this funny I'm just surprised they decide who wins emmys

That was impressively unfunny.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Captain Redbeard posted:

Alright, I get it now.

The Answer is fantastic, but in order to appreciate it you have to know both the characters and the lore of the show. I doubt anyone on the Emmy nomination committee has ever seen any other episode of Steven Universe and thus don't really understand what they're watching.

That Robot Chicken thing is dumb as Hell and I haven't watched an episode of Robot Chicken in years, but some of those dumbass jokes still made me laugh. I didn't need to understand anything about the characters or the lore to appreciate it, I just needed to have a juvenile sense of humor (which I do).

For better or worse the Robot Chicken Christmas Whatever works as a standalone and The Answer doesn't. I still think The Answer is better and should have won, but I can understand why someone who doesn't care much for or about animation and has only ever seen one episode of each show (AKA the people who pick the Emmys apparently) would give the award to Robot Chicken.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

RareAcumen posted:

Hey guys, if you think this thread gets bad at times, check out this heated conversation over that comic that got posted earlier. Seriously, people get so loving riled up over it, it's like that blue or gold dress issue from months back.

Y'know, that one.

http://friendly-neighborhood-patriarch.tumblr.com/post/150245370317/sou-sai-takashi0-princess-has-a-pen

Probably guaranteed to make you go

http://i.imgur.com/DGLfkZg.mp4

"The gently caress is this?"

What was that quote someone in here had about how it's so weird how intense people get over a show about love or whatever?

Anyway, I just wanted to share this because I love trainwrecks like this.

there's a 200% chance that person is either 15 or trolling

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
That still doesn't explain it because Hall of Egress works well as a stand alone episode.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that the people at the Emmys are probably similar to the people at The Academy Awards and couldn't give half a flying gently caress about animation so they just choose the one with name recognition and not even bother watching the tapes they're given

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.

Captain Redbeard posted:

What the hell? Hall of Egress and The Answer were nominated, and Robot Chicken won? Why? Who would possibly make that choice?

I just watched it. WTF, that was so bad. What is wrong with people?

Seriously, The Answer was gorgeously drawn, beautifully animated, had great music, voicework and writing... and it lost to a hideously ugly horrible sounding comedy that lacked any humor.

This is criminal. Art is dead, etc etc. And it's not even the fact The Answer lost. If it lost to an Adventure Time episode or a Gravity Falls episode, or a Starr VS The Forces of Evil episode or even a Regular Show episode...fine. I'd accept that.

Like someone else said in the thread, Robot Chicken was good for a hoot when I was drunk on the couch with friends at the tail end of high school and early college...which was when it first came out. Some skits I still get a chuckle out of (like the Muppets Gordon Gecko sketch) but some of it is so painfully moronic you can't wrap your head around why it's lasted...8 seasons? Criminy.

Someone gave me the first season on DVD back then and I'm still ashamed to have it on my shelf. I can't sell it for anything so no one will buy it off me.

LemonLimeTime fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Sep 12, 2016

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I'm not mad the answer didn't win an award because the awards are basically meaningless.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
The Answer is really not a good episode to showcase the show, at all. It's far too reliant on understanding the context of who Garnet is, what fusion is, and what it means.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Attestant posted:

The Answer is really not a good episode to showcase the show, at all. It's far too reliant on understanding the context of who Garnet is, what fusion is, and what it means.

Hall of Egress also relies on a strong knowledge of Finn to capture its full effect. That's why Jake the Brick was such a good entry - you could know literally nothing about the show and it was amazing. Knowing about the characters added things at the side, but the main meal was just Jake narrating the story of the squirrel.

NIghtmare Hospital or When It Rains would probably have been better episodes from that perspective.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Ok so the past few episodes have been good overall but what I wanna know is how come everyone in Steven Universe is a friggin' stunt driver?
Stevonnie, who is basically two kids in a trenchcoat can somehow drift race and now Pearl who never even got a driver's license can outmaneuver the cops. It's stretching my suspension of disbelief.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Applewhite posted:

Ok so the past few episodes have been good overall but what I wanna know is how come everyone in Steven Universe is a friggin' stunt driver?
Stevonnie, who is basically two kids in a trenchcoat can somehow drift race and now Pearl who never even got a driver's license can outmaneuver the cops. It's stretching my suspension of disbelief.

The car was like everyone else and just wanted to impress Stevonnie with how well it could handle for her.

Pearl has never got a license because of bureaucracy, not because she was unable to drive. When she learned is up for discussion.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Pearl's always been able to drive, and Amethyst has mentioned she usually hotwires cars instead of using keys, so who knows what shenanigans they've gotten up to before.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Applewhite posted:

It's the power of the Supremo!

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005

Cavelcade posted:

Hall of Egress also relies on a strong knowledge of Finn to capture its full effect. That's why Jake the Brick was such a good entry - you could know literally nothing about the show and it was amazing. Knowing about the characters added things at the side, but the main meal was just Jake narrating the story of the squirrel.

NIghtmare Hospital or When It Rains would probably have been better episodes from that perspective.

I can see Nightmare Hospital, but When it Rains is one of the most plot-dependant episodes in the show. The scene at the beginning is fairly powerful, but going in blind you'd have no idea about the significance of Peridot starting to see Earth differently, and the rest is almost entirely spent setting up the rest of the Cluster arc. Also it's our first introduction to Lamar Peridot and uh, I'm not so sure that would do them any favors.

If I had to pick an episode that came out in the appropriate time frame as being the most Emmy-worthy, it'd be We Need to Talk. If they could've somehow make the judges watch Story for Steven along with it for context, I feel like that would've been their best chance.

I looked it up and apparently Avatar won an Emmy for the Lake Laogai episode, so maybe there's still some hope for a serialized show to win the animation category again someday (though that is a 'long-form' show, do those have different judges?) but I'm not holding my breath.

Flying-PCP fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Sep 12, 2016

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Flying-PCP posted:

I can see Nightmare Hospital, but When it Rains is one of the most plot-dependant episodes in the show. The scene at the beginning is fairly powerful, but going in blind you'd have no idea about the significance of Peridot starting to see Earth differently, and the rest is almost entirely spent setting up the rest of the Cluster arc. Also it's our first introduction to Lamar Peridot and uh, I'm not so sure that would do them any favors.

I looked it up and apparently Avatar won an Emmy for the Lake Laogai episode, so maybe there's still some hope for a serialized show to win the animation category again someday (though that is a 'long-form' show, do those have different judges?) but I'm not holding my breath.

I...had completely forgotten about the second half of that episode.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Applewhite posted:

Steven mentions he learned how to drive in Lars and the Cool Kids. Connie is really smart and picks things up quickly. If you look at it from the perspective that their fusion brings their knowledge and experiences in sync it sort of makes sense.

As far as Steven learning how to drive though, Greg taught Steven all about playing the guitar (and apparently other instruments if Steven and the Stevens is anything to go by); and if they lived in a van for all that time he probably would've taught him everything he knows about driving.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

MrSlam posted:

Steven mentions he learned how to drive in Lars and the Cool Kids. Connie is really smart and picks things up quickly. If you look at it from the perspective that their fusion brings their knowledge and experiences in sync it sort of makes sense.

As far as Steven learning how to drive though, Greg taught Steven all about playing the guitar (and apparently other instruments if Steven and the Stevens is anything to go by); and if they lived in a van for all that time he probably would've taught him everything he knows about driving.

Yeah, one thing I've noticed is that Steven seems to pick up on things insanely quickly - in the extended opening Greg mentions that he's run out of things to teach Steven about playing the ukelele despite him being so young. It's entirely plausible that Greg taught him all that stuff.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

(x)

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

LemonLimeTime posted:

Someone gave me the first season on DVD back then and I'm still ashamed to have it on my shelf. I can't sell it for anything so no one will buy it off me.

Donate it to the library. Share the pain. :getin:

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

It's funny how you don't pick up gradual changes like this, even if you binge on the show real quick. I watched everything out so far in a week or so, and I still had to go back and check if that image is true.

It is. Almost everyone is super off model, and some characters even sound wrong.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

People are awfully fond of using that off model shot of Pearl even though she's a lot better put together in other shots.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Looking at the timeframe provided for the 2016 Emmys and the choice of episodes, I can't really say that any of them work well as a standalone (separated and understandable without prior knowledge), while also being impressive enough to win. The nominee would have probably a toss up between We Need To Talk and The Answer, and The Answer plays better with the technical aspects, with a better cohesive theme and general message (in my opinion), so I don't think there was a better choice. Of course, Robot Chicken won, so I don't know if being technically/visually impressive matters at all.

However. I feel like the potential nominees (using the above guidelines of standalone and impressive) for 2017 are going to be a lot stronger, and the window's still open for even more. Mr.Greg is very self-contained (other than the "...and Mom!" line) despite the length constricting the time to be informed of prior and current plot, and has a lot of strong visual and musical variety. Mindful Education is also a good contender; the required plot knowledge is a bit bigger (Steven's bad thoughts), but not knowing the context of that particular part doesn't affect the theme or message (which is much broader and more easily relatable to a general viewing audience), not to mention the visual/technical side being incredibly impressive and fitting the theme well.

Alternatively, they can also say gently caress it and throw Kindergarten Kid up to fish for Looney Tunes nostalgia and try and win the humor game.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Ramos posted:

People are awfully fond of using that off model shot of Pearl even though she's a lot better put together in other shots.

Well the post did mention they were using the same storyboard artist and IIRC the other two early episodes that artist did (Cat Fingers and Bubble Buddies) drew pearl the same way

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Steven Universe turned into a hardcore Pearl station so slowly none of us noticed

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

I <3 weird Regular Show Pearl

Sure don't miss that outfit though, her second one is way better.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
I just rewatched the episode and the moon not only has stars shining through it but in the scene where they're walking from the car to the show the moon teleports twice then disappears.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Illuminati confirmed.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
The show's also shown the sun set in multiple different directions. For all the care they've taken to display the alternate Earth geography correctly every time, I don't think they particularly care about getting the cosmology right and just draw whatever works the best for each particular scene.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
THE MOON ISN'T REAL. :tinfoil:

How else can you explain Steven and the Rubies being launched to the space by a simple air lock opening? The real moon has an escape velocity of about 2,4 km/s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Inside of the hollow earth, the sun and moon can both just go the wrong direction whenever they want, on account of the rail system not having been maintained in years.