Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
Going to try Lemons for the first time ever at Buttonwillow this October. Has anyone done Lemons recently? Any advice much appreciated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
From what I've seen, it's still good and great. Go do it.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Expect a wide range of driving skill to be displayed.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Everyone you dive bomb is a loving moron who needs to be black flagged until they learn how to use their god drat mirrors.

Everyone who dive bombs you is a loose cannon and should probably be black flagged for their reckless and dangerous driving style.

On a serious note: always leave yourself an out. Have a plan and have a backup plan.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Phone posted:

Everyone you dive bomb is a loving moron who needs to be black flagged until they learn how to use their god drat mirrors.

Everyone who dive bombs you is a loose cannon and should probably be black flagged for their reckless and dangerous driving style.

So, iRacing is right!

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
Dive bombing is the best part about being on Hoosiers when most of the other classes in my race group run Toyo RRs.

For reference in a Chumpcar race when I was a pretty mediocre driver by my current standards (I'm still not great) I was out braking most cars in the rain with one of the directional front tires on backwards.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Phone posted:

Oh so true in all the chump, wrl, lemons races. Biggest thing I had to keep reminding myself is that even though you've been following them for a while and they should know you're there they absolutely do not know you're there and will turn into you if you try to take the inside line. Even if they give you a point by going into the corner that doesn't mean you're in the clear...

Also if you're used to braking hard and late don't follow people into corners.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

NitroSpazzz posted:

even though you've been following them for a while and they should know you're there they absolutely do not know you're there and will turn into you if you try to take the inside line

Sometimes because they keep looking in their mirrors to see where you are, and don't see you coming up in their blind spot.

Been doing a Swedish 24-hour-lemons simile a bunch of times, usually in a car with good grip but not much engine power and sometimes overtaking just can't be done very cleanly. Always had great success dive-bombing in one particular right-hander. Usually I can get far enough up inside that I'm actually in front of them when they turn in, which increases visibility.

King of all Machines Operate
Sep 23, 2005
uterus puncher ):
Track day at Thunderhill next week, Sept 10. #33 Miata come say hi if any of you are there!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Dumb question: cheapest place for magnetic numbers?

I don't want to shell out $35 per side of my car for 3 numbers / 3 letters :(

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Sab669 posted:

Dumb question: cheapest place for magnetic numbers?

I don't want to shell out $35 per side of my car for 3 numbers / 3 letters :(

I used Vistaprint and then found out that most of my drivers' door is Bondo.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Solotime has pretty cheap packages.

http://www.soloperformance.com/Solotime-8-inch-Magnetic-or-Reusable-Basic-Number-Package_p_10891.html

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
I've had varying luck with making my own out of Pro Mag magnetic sheets. You can get white 12"x24" sheets from Michael's or Amazon. You can also buy adhesive-backed magnetic sheets and different colored vinyl sheets separately.

My biggest success was using the adhesive and vinyl combo, cutting a wide radius at each corner, and applying them to a warm surface. Sometimes they last a long time, sometimes they don't. One day I'll try a thicker magnet.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I'm loaning my friend this helmet for track day:
http://www.gforce.com/products/helmets/3028.php
I'd never noticed before, but it doesn't have an SA rating sticker on it anywhere. I think it's pretty lax inspection, but how would it be verified officially?

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Maybe a dumb question, but did you look underneath the padding and stuff?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

mekilljoydammit posted:

Maybe a dumb question, but did you look underneath the padding and stuff?

I moved around the padding that I could move easily, but the side pieces seem to be glued, not velcroed or otherwise reversibly mounted.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

kimbo305 posted:

I moved around the padding that I could move easily, but the side pieces seem to be glued, not velcroed or otherwise reversibly mounted.

A lot of the padding should come out; I'd expect to find it on the hard foam, under the soft foam, in the back. I just know that tech inspectors for roadrace stuff anyway will verify SA rating by finding the sticker.

*quick edit* Note I said should - what I'm seeing yeah, the sides on that are glued but the some of the rest should?

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

The lining at the very back of the helmet should have a top seam that is not glued. The SA sticker will be just under it there.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Working on cars at the track isn't nearly as fun as driving them on the track.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Phone posted:

Working on cars at the track isn't nearly as fun as driving them on the track.

Quit breaking poo poo and getting hit by other drivers. What is it this time?

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
It turns out bolts have torque specs for a reason.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Turns out bolts have a grade for a reason.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
What grade bolt did you use?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Grade 8

point 8

To be fair, it was foremost a torque problem because the driver side's bolts were 100% straight. We asked some friends if they had any spares and we're currently running metric Grade 10 Integra caliper bolts. We also used it as an opportunity to toss the cool "racing" rotors because all of the cool "racing" grooves were causing vibration. The car ran fine the rest of the weekend outside of us basically destroying our exhaust.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
I went to Palmer Motorsports Park on Friday with the SCCA "Track Night" and it was fun! The course has a ton of elevation change, and all the turns are really challenging (super late apex/double apex hairpins). There's this one downhill bowl you go super late in, dive down, then power out, while trying not to understeer off the course. Really fun, and only ~2 hours away from my parents place.

I went in the advanced track day group, and while my car could've been competitive (although there were some ripping well driven GT3 Turbo Porsches, an Audi R8 Turbo, some sort of modded GT86 (I have almost 400whp and I couldn't catch him going flat out in fourth on the back straight (!!))), my driving was awful and I couldn't get a good line, so I was doing a lot of point bys. Didn't spin the car, but the Advans got pretty greasy at the end of the third session enough for me to have to calm down. Track temps were north of 90°F, but I recorded a peak of ~118°C oil temp, and ~108°C Water temp, which was their absolute max when I just decided to "not give a poo poo" about my warning lights on my external gauges, and that's pretty good for the humidity. Had some partial throttle stutter on the first session, then I replaced the plugs, and it went away. I'm chewing through some oil, but I actually chew through less on the track than I do just driving around street wise. Definitely a valve seal thing... I threw out a couple of patches of smoke while driving from the PCV valve coming out (the threading seems shot?) I also lost my exhaust manifold nut, but that's not really a big deal.

All and all, it was a pretty good day, and I'm glad I went. It was nice to have a "good track day" finally. People were pretty impressed with my little Eclipse, and when I went to Autozone, some employee took a photo of the car. Hell yeah badass carz.

This shows how much elevation goes on in the course.

One small note:

I can't emphasize enough how much I like Track Night more than Corvettes of Massachusetts (aka COM), a regional time trial group. No instructors if you don't need it, no anal retentive inspection system, no wahoo wannabe racers (which COM had a bunch of in a "point by" club), just open track sessions that are laid back and actually fun. Sure, maybe I hosed up some lines more than I would if I had an instructor, but you don't get those if you actually do SCCA "Real Racing" anyways. I got 3 sessions and an open lap pace to let my dad drive the course before running SCCA IT7 yesterday and today for 150.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Octopus Magic posted:

I went to Palmer Motorsports Park on Friday with the SCCA "Track Night" and it was fun! The course has a ton of elevation change, and all the turns are really challenging (super late apex/double apex hairpins). There's this one downhill bowl you go super late in, dive down, then power out, while trying not to understeer off the course. Really fun, and only ~2 hours away from my parents place.

I can't emphasize enough how much I like Track Night more than Corvettes of Massachusetts (aka COM), a regional time trial group. No instructors if you don't need it, no anal retentive inspection system, no wahoo wannabe racers (which COM had a bunch of in a "point by" club), just open track sessions that are laid back and actually fun. Sure, maybe I hosed up some lines more than I would if I had an instructor, but you don't get those if you actually do SCCA "Real Racing" anyways. I got 3 sessions and an open lap pace to let my dad drive the course before running SCCA IT7 yesterday and today for 150.

My friend was there in a white ND (and the helmet I asked this thread about). He was in the beginners group and still didn't have instructors in car.

He said the tech was super lax, just self reported? Depending on which cars show up, I might be nervous about that.
You're right that COM is way overboard, but it did give me peace of mind.

He also mentioned that a couple areas didn't have enough runoff.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

The way people were driving in COM in more advanced groups gave me more issues than a car breaking down/spitting fluids everywhere, but honestly most of the cars looked decently reliable and weren't hooptie. I also didn't know they didn't have instructors in the novice groups. That gives me a lil mixed feelings. :/ How hard do they tech cars at the 'ring?

Anyways, I'm probably never going to run COM again, but then again, I also had someone run up to me and literally start swearing in the paddock when I got mixed up in their stupid "I'm a real race car driver" games and tapped brakes early at Thompson on T1, so I guess I just carry a personal grudge. :toot:

Yeah, Palmer doesn't have any runoff, but you'd really have to gently caress up *hard* to bang into a barrier (versus something like NHMS T3).

A couple of areas could use some more coping, which will hopefully happen, along with real bathrooms and a gas station (I had to run out for a refill after two sessions) at track vs. 10 minutes down the road.

Octopus Magic fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Sep 12, 2016

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
I'd like to make it out to Palmer one of these days, it just seems like a bad track to make any mistakes on; good to hear that it's fun.

I did lime rock this weekend for the first time and it was great. There were a few guys in our run group who were really scared by something that started a few trains, but ultimately they made way.

I had two great sessions but my last one I started getting pissed at the focus RS in front of me that would periodically drive like poo poo and then pull away on the last straight so I couldn't catch him. I started making lots of mistakes and had to pit in before I drove myself in to the walls trying to force this guy to let me by. First time I experienced "the red mist".

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
I did TNIA at Thompson two weeks ago in intermediate for my first track day and it was great. Self tech seems a bit sketchy but most cars are in good condition. Self classing also leads to a bit of mixed bag of skill in int; even after just heavily doing autox I think if I were to sign up again for the first time I'd do advanced. The nice part of intermediate was having point by passing on straights only, people tended to dial it back and keep a pretty good distance in braking zones and through corners even with trains, and I almost always got a point by at the next passing zone when I caught someone under braking or cornering. The downside was I was close to 5-10s/lap faster than almost everyone even at a somewhat relaxed pace, so I didn't really get any laps at full pace.

Novice has instructors but they don't do it in car, I think they'll watch and tell you how to improve.

Also Palmer looks terrifying from the paddock. Watching the cars come through that two car wide chute with the two concrete walls at the edge of the track right after T1 from the parking area made me not want to do Palmer for my first track event.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Muffinpox posted:

Also Palmer looks terrifying from the paddock. Watching the cars come through that two car wide chute with the two concrete walls at the edge of the track right after T1 from the parking area made me not want to do Palmer for my first track event.

You're never gonna get the best Akina downhill time w/ that attitude.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
At least he won't ruin the tofu.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Octopus Magic posted:

The way people were driving in COM in more advanced groups gave me more issues than a car breaking down/spitting fluids everywhere, but honestly most of the cars looked decently reliable and weren't hooptie. I also didn't know they didn't have instructors in the novice groups. That gives me a lil mixed feelings. :/

Yeah, when I ran intermediate at COM, it felt like open season for various groups' instructors to just do racing in everything but name only, passing without waiting for point-bys among them.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

The club I run with/help organize has completely open passing in the advanced group. The onus is on the person passing to ensure its done safely & without incident. The group has worked out fantastically - everyone on track is incredibly attentive and aware of cars around them, and people still typically point by, just everywhere. I've been 2 wide through a corner, passed people in the braking zones, etc.

The group is also pretty well policed - you need a sign off to run solo in intermediate, and an additional sign off to run in the open group. We've done this for 2 years now without incident.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
If you are slow, drop the ego. It should be apparent if somebody is faster than you. The time attack club I run with are pretty respectful. Never had an issue.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Human Grand Prix posted:

If you are slow, drop the ego. It should be apparent if somebody is faster than you.

I don't see what ego has to do with it. I just think it's higher risk for instructors who are advanced drivers jumping into the intermediate group and passing without waiting for point-bys on guys who could've just graduated out of beginner.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Pretty much, it's a little different in the bike world:
A Group - Rubbing paint is not encouraged but it does happen and passing anywhere is allowed
B Group - Leave 3ft room, passing anywhere
C Group - Leave 6ft room, no passing in corners

The newer B riders coming in from C are fine since they are very timid about passing and very careful about getting close to other riders. I tell these people to use the hot pit if they are being held up.
The issue is more in B where you have guys that should be in A carrying a bunch of corner entry speed and stuffing people. I understand that it's a psychological leap to move to A but if you're passing constantly and never / rarely being passed... there's your sign to quit being an rear end in a top hat.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Sep 12, 2016

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
So, had a race during a hurricane. This is from qualifying.

There are 2 Miatas in front of me. One about 3 car lengths, the other about 5. I bailed on the race. Don't regret that decision at all.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Hi thread,

I race lo206 karts down at New Castle Motorsports Park, in new castle indiana. This weekend was my first top 10 finish, with me qualifying 12th and squeaking in 8th place out of 37, was a fun time, figured i'd leave the video, there are others on the youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZ7quuj5b2M

OhsH fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Oct 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

FatCow posted:

So, had a race during a hurricane. This is from qualifying.

There are 2 Miatas in front of me. One about 3 car lengths, the other about 5. I bailed on the race. Don't regret that decision at all.
White out downpour racing is terrifying. I'd say good move on dropping out if the conditions were going to be consistently that bad. How bad were the casualties from those that decided to race?

Had a race like that where one corner was downpour the rest were drizzle. Full on racing the rest of that course then get to white out corner and coast through playing follow the leader. For those that know the track, turn 2 at Brainerd hydroplaning at 30 mph.

Anyone racing with Chump at Road America next weekend? We'll be there with the ugly E30 vert. Also anyone in that region looking to buy a car ours will be going up for sale after COTA in early December. It isn't pretty but it's well built and very competitive for WRL, Chump, Lemons, etc.