Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite/Favourite subtitle?
This poll is closed.
Revelations 11 12.50%
Resurrection 5 5.68%
Retribution 6 6.82%
All-Stars 66 75.00%
Total: 88 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

FutonForensic posted:

Pretty sure that's djynn flyssa's twitter

Whoah, Stux posted in that thread :eyepop:

It's always super weird when people link to really old threads and I see familiar names. I'm pretty sure my own lovely posting has remained fairly consistent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Stux posted:

actually id say start with ds2, easily. ds1 is extremely unfriendly at the start with having multiple ways to get lost instantly, and ds3 is probably one of the hardest games early on in the series. ds2 has very open and clear progression at the start of where to go, with both possible directions being viable, and although you start with less estus, the life stone mechanic is actually easier, as you can stock up on heals that way which helps.

also the health penalty is... no different to the other games? obviously ds1 doesnt have it, but ds3 and demons have the same/similar mechanics. i think ds2 is a great place to start, although vanilla over scholar if possible.

I love DS2, warts and all

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

precision posted:

It's always super weird when people link to really old threads and I see familiar names. I'm pretty sure my own lovely posting has remained fairly consistent.

i am forever

Lizard Wizard posted:

I love DS2, warts and all

ds2 was great, especially the dlc. i do not get the hate for it at all.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Stux posted:

its focuses on different elements of the formula and that is to different peoples tastes on these here angry internets my man

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Stux posted:

My two main issues where the disconnect between the areas (I just took an elevator up and I'm now above lava? what?), which was especially jarring coming from DS1 where the map was all interconnected, and that the combat was super bullshit where enemy tracking/your hitbox was concerned:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

DS2 is very good at encouraging co-op with its hollowing system, and I would say the only bad part was soul memory.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I just think the first half was boring and filled with a bunch of trash bosses, it's still a good game.

I mean most people think the same thing about DS1 and it's latter half so whatever, it's cool.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Aside from a few grabs (like that one) the hitboxes were fine.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
One thing I really didn't like is that they removed the ability to follow up heavy attacks with quick attacks. There's a bunch of weapons that could do this in DS1 that can't in DS2, and it's part of what makes combat feel slower.

But I've got probably over 200 hours in ds2 despite it being my least favorite soulsgame.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
In my recent attempts at DS2 the main problem is that all the weapons you are given have poo poo range, do poo poo damage, have poo poo scaling, and have a maximum of one attack animation that will hit dog enemies. That and whatever they did to parrying

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I beat Talos Principle and it's a very good puzzle game (I had to use a guide for the stars but I was pretty happy that I managed to do all of the actual puzzles on my own - I finished in a little over 12 hours) I kind of want to complain about so much of the storytelling being done through text dumps on the computer monitors but I guess I did like the story a lot by the time I was done with it

I still haven't played the Road to Gehanna thing though

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Andrast posted:

Aside from a few grabs (like that one) the hitboxes were fine.

They may have tweaked them at some point (I played at launch on PS3 and I haven't played PC or SotFS), but no they weren't. The knights at Heide's and the Smelter Demon in particular were infamous for this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVTXeuHrjvE

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Edmond Dantes posted:

My two main issues where the disconnect between the areas (I just took an elevator up and I'm now above lava? what?), which was especially jarring coming from DS1 where the map was all interconnected, and that the combat was super bullshit where enemy tracking/your hitbox was concerned:

that disconnect is explained in the ~lore~ though, and really even though DS1 is interconnected i dont think that makes up for areas like lost izalith, and in retrospect, DS1 is now the odd game out in the series in that sense.

also the tracking/hitbox stuff is like... one or two enemies in the game? and again not something unique to DS2 at all?

personally i was way more disappointed with DS3 than 2

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

precision posted:

I think the first like 2 years of me on SA is unrecognizable with who I am now. I probably called people fags a lot.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

southpark did some preview events recently
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1OUBf2q6Ps

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Can't wait for that game.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Edmond Dantes posted:

My two main issues where the disconnect between the areas (I just took an elevator up and I'm now above lava? what?), which was especially jarring coming from DS1 where the map was all interconnected

I'm sure you've heard this, but the distance you seem to travel is meant to feel unnatural.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Lizard Wizard posted:

I'm sure you've heard this, but the distance you seem to travel is meant to feel unnatural.

i swear everyone who played DS2 looked at that map once and then ignored it and what it meant

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Stux posted:

i swear everyone who played DS2 looked at that map once and then ignored it and what it meant

that you're in lordran, right?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

My problem with DSII is that 80% of bosses are large guys in armor with a sword and no health

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Summer of Multiplayer!

https://www.destructoid.com/blogs/cheetaman/summer-of-multiplayer-2016-385697.phtml

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Lizard Wizard posted:

yeah but also that its an entire continent this time

In Training posted:

My problem with DSII is that 80% of bosses are large guys in armor with a sword and no health

well good news, DS3 fixed that by making 80% of bosses large guys in armor with 2 swords and ton of health

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Even if you think DS2 is the worst Souls game, which would be insane, it's still really good.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Thankfully there's more to the game than bosses

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Stux posted:

yeah but also that its an entire continent this time

well good news, DS3 fixed that by making 80% of bosses large guys in armor with 2 swords and ton of health

Yeah but I wish they had even more

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

In Training posted:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

In Training posted:

i dont because ds3 has the worst bosses of the series by far and theyre awful :)

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Stux posted:

that disconnect is explained in the ~lore~ though, and really even though DS1 is interconnected i dont think that makes up for areas like lost izalith, and in retrospect, DS1 is now the odd game out in the series in that sense.

also the tracking/hitbox stuff is like... one or two enemies in the game? and again not something unique to DS2 at all?

personally i was way more disappointed with DS3 than 2

Lizard Wizard posted:

Fair enough, but some transitions, like the one from Earthen Peak to Iron Keep the whole of Lost Bastille (which you take a boat to!) felt weird and not in a "The Shining" unsettling non-euclidean geometry way, rather more like loading screens than anything else. DS1 had those as well, like the gargoyles in Anor Londo but still felt more... cohesive? as a whole than DS2 I think.

Lizard Wizard posted:

Not really, if I recall correctly Vendrick went "over the seas" (Lordran) to wage war and came back with "a prize" (and I think the Queen is from there as well? May be misremembering that), which if I'm not mistaken is a fragment of the Dark dude from the DS1 DLC.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

All the souls games are really good. Play all of them.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Stux posted:

i dont because ds3 has the worst bosses of the series by far and theyre awful :)

Pontiff is a really cool boss

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Edmond Dantes posted:

Not really, if I recall correctly Vendrick went "over the seas" (Lordran) to wage war and came back with "a prize" (and I think the Queen is from there as well? May be misremembering that), which if I'm not mistaken is a fragment of the Dark dude from the DS1 DLC.

there's a shattered lordvessel in the basement of the manor, and four specific bosses drop the lord souls in NG+

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I didn't like Seigward. There I said it.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Lizard Wizard posted:

there's a shattered lordvessel in the basement of the manor, and four specific bosses drop the lord souls in NG+

Yeah, but that's more of a "this has happened before" thing than anything else I think, the world doesn't match up.

From the game:

Dark Souls 2 posted:

King Vendrick "had a dear Queen, a woman of unparalleled beauty. Long ago, the Queen came to us, alone, from a faraway land."

The queen, Nashandra, has a secret, Dark and ancient. She is the smallest piece of Manus, the Father of the Abyss. Long ago, after his defeat in the lost land of Oolacile, he split into miniscule fragments. As the fragments recollected, they assumed a human form.

She convinced Vendrick to cross the sea and pilfer a mighty prize from the Giants. She brought a Dark-like peace to the Kingdom of Drangleic.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Vendrick was not approached by Nashandra until after he found the four souls.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Edmond Dantes posted:

Fair enough, but some transitions, like the one from Earthen Peak to Iron Keep the whole of Lost Bastille (which you take a boat to!) felt weird and not in a "The Shining" unsettling non-euclidean geometry way, rather more like loading screens than anything else. DS1 had those as well, like the gargoyles in Anor Londo but still felt more... cohesive? as a whole than DS2 I think.

no it is lordran, very clearly. all of the 4 lord souls and even the lord vessel are there! its just that things are weird and time and space are broken and the whole thing is stretched out as well. the map which lights up when you have been to different areas shows that now the locations are across a whole continent. unfortunately instead of going with this for 3 and pushing it even further they went really boring and conservative and it sucks.

In Training posted:

Pontiff is a really cool boss

half the ds3 bosses feel like they took the complaint about those giant enemies in DS2 having infinite stamina and thought "but what if we gave this to a boss instead"

also having a second Super Powered phase loses its impact if its 80% of your bosses

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I assumed the prize was the kiln (gwyn's boss arena) from the first game, so having to travel to pick it up would make me think that we're not in lordran

But time and space are pretty vague in this series

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

besides, ornstein is there. do you think ornstein walked across the ocean?

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Stux posted:

Nah DS2 had the worst bosses, the only nonshit one (skeleton chariot) is also a big pushover

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Not Lordran. :colbert:

(Don't care enough about DS2 to find out one way or the other though :v: )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Edmond Dantes posted:

Yeah, but that's more of a "this has happened before" thing than anything else I think, the world doesn't match up.

From the game:

like half the npcs in the game say over and over that many different kingdoms have risen and fallen on the same piece of land. and there are constant references to the old bosses like seath, nito and bed of chaos directly made by people who had contact with them or are descendant from people who had contact with them

i dont even really get why this is a discussion, its not like the game makes it unclear really

• Locked thread