Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

William F Cuckley posted:

IIRC she's based out of New York, which aside from California is one of the few places in the US you'd most likely run into nonwhite people at a metal show, and the fact they're pretty dang white (though admittedly nowhere near as white as it was back in the day) is mildly noteworthy.

I used to live in a city that's nearly 50% black and 10% Latino and you could count the number of nonwhite people at metal shows on one hand with a couple fingers left over.

But what if metal appeals to whites in those communities, more than it does to minorities? Why is that a problem in and of itself?
Reggaeton appeals mostly to Latin Americans, and nobody is (nor should be) up in arms about it.

Edit. poo poo, double post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Non Serviam posted:

But what if metal appeals to whites in those communities, more than it does to minorities? Why is that a problem in and of itself?
Reggaeton appeals mostly to Latin Americans, and nobody is (nor should be) up in arms about it.

All I'm saying is it's something that's universally observed (everyone I know has at one point played Spot the Black Guy at shows) and obviously interesting enough to have been commented on, including by nonwhites.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

All I'm saying is it's something that's universally observed (everyone I know has at one point played Spot the Black Guy at shows) and obviously interesting enough to have been commented on, including by nonwhites.

I will get that book now, thanks for the suggestion.

As for race; it's definitely based on the countries. Gigs in Chile, Brazil and Mexico, for example, aren't the go-to place for the caucasians living there, but instead show a fairly representative sample of the population.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Obviously. And even in the US it's going to be different depending on which part of the country you're in. Latinos for example have been involved with metal in California and to a lesser extent Florida since the beginning.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Great race chat, super interesting stuff! :rolleyes:

Onto some actual content, new Bolzer track: https://soundcloud.com/iron-bonehead-productions/bolzer-i-am-iii

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Non Serviam posted:

That's certainly one hypothesis, another one might be 'what about all these god drat nazis and white supremacists in this fanbase.'

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Now now ladies and gents, it's extremely important that everybody in this fandom behave rightly and be the correct color, else we will never achieve a morally laudable standard of behavior in how we listen to loud bad music about Satan's almighty penis

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

henpod posted:

Right, time to cause some trouble.

Ghost have a new track up - https://vid.me/nI9H

It's pretty catchy and all that but is definitely quite poppy when compared to the slightly psychedelic and sinister sounds of other stuff. S'alright though - good enough for a b-side I would say.

Edit - ok, it grows on you pretty fast.

ripoff of "California Dreamin'" by The Mamas & The Papas

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

Weaponized Cum posted:

Great race chat, super interesting stuff! :rolleyes:

Onto some actual content, new Bolzer track: https://soundcloud.com/iron-bonehead-productions/bolzer-i-am-iii

The irony in linking a nazi band's new song is killing me here.

[edit] For actual content, I randomly discovered Fractal Gates via Google Music random and it's killer. Think of the melodic death of the *omnium's but only from France ( if that matters ), in the same sort of vein as others like Enshine and so on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AONLsYDS0Ks The riff @ 1:46 is loving beautiful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrFT84FIxBU

TollTheHounds fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Sep 12, 2016

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.

TollTheHounds posted:

They aren't from Finland though. Plus the sun wheel is a pagan symbol man.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Bölzer are edgy new-agers, not Nazis. Also they suck

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

skasion posted:

Also they suck

:getout:

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

I got around to listening to the new Blood Incantation album and it's really, really good.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

TollTheHounds posted:

Do the thread a favor and shut the gently caress up

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Everyone in metal is secretly a Nazi. You can identify them by their code phrase "I'm not a Nazi."

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

TollTheHounds posted:

Lolololololololololol alright bruh

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Zodijackylite posted:

Everyone in metal is secretly a Nazi. You can identify them by their code phrase "I'm not a Nazi."
I'm not a Nazi.

Oh gently caress!

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

Weaponized Cum posted:

Do the thread a favor and shut the gently caress up

A TURGID FATSO posted:

Lolololololololololol alright bruh

Hey, I like Entranced by the Wolfshook too , but comparatively this new song is garbage.

I just thought it was pretty funny that a band with swastika tattoos ( whether they are actually nazis or really just into male/female spiritual symbolism and super edgy :rolleyes: ) and dubious use of symbolism in general ( I didn't realize the SS symbol was based on the traditional wolf's hook emblem ) was the first band you link to after the bi-monthly Metal Thread race wars. Your angry retort seems to indicate that you didn't realize the irony.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Swiss people are genetically incapable of being nazis BUT that song sucks rear end so I think the truth is somewhere in the middle

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

TollTheHounds posted:

Hey, I like Entranced by the Wolfshook too , but comparatively this new song is garbage.

I just thought it was pretty funny that a band with swastika tattoos ( whether they are actually nazis or really just into male/female spiritual symbolism and super edgy :rolleyes: ) and dubious use of symbolism in general ( I didn't realize the SS symbol was based on the traditional wolf's hook emblem ) was the first band you link to after the bi-monthly Metal Thread race wars. Your angry retort seems to indicate that you didn't realize the irony.

Considering that Okoi's father is Paul Ubana Jones I very much doubt that he's coming at it from a racial point of view. Frankly, as far as I can tell and they are using most of that symbolism in order to turn it on its head... unless he's really pissed at his daddy.

A TURGID FATSO fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Sep 12, 2016

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The lyrics to Entranced by the Wolfshook are all about how nazis are retarded and we should just all just, like, be ourselves and all individual and poo poo, man. It's explicitly anti fascist song

That said Bölzer sucks

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The one saving grace of Noisey/Vice is Dan Ozzi, who writes really good longform stuff (often about Punk, his D4 article is really good) and is funny as hell on twitter.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
While that Bolzer track certainly wasn't one of their best, I really like the direction the vocals are taking. I'm excited for this one.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

What's important is that the conversation moves away from the stale "who's a nazi?" circle jerk.

And yes, Bolzer has one decent track.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

skasion posted:

That said Bölzer sucks

what's bad about them mate

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Seeing this thread turn against Bolzer, didn't see that coming

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

nerve posted:

Seeing this thread turn against Bolzer, didn't see that coming

I have to say that they're good, but also they def have one really stand out track. idk why this thread hates them tho.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

anyway this is cool: https://vrtrachasm.bandcamp.com/album/my-bones-hold-a-stillness

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

thread needs more death/doom imo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p43IDnLYRyQ

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

Varg posted:

thread needs more death/doom imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLdcpao8QO8

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Kumbamontu posted:

Yeah that song is super good

Fallujah, BTBAM, and Devin Townsend all owned super hard last night

Exactly what I came into this thread to post about. I didn't think Devin would be able to top BTBAM after their set was so good, but he absolutely did. I'd throw out my savings to see him again.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Seriously, this rules so loving hard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDINlp9ABHE

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

A human heart posted:

what's bad about them mate

I don't enjoy listening to their songs and would rather spend my time listening to other bands in a black death metal style that I like better, such as Antediluvian or Blood Incantation :)

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

I'm enjoying this. Thanks!

EDIT: HOLY poo poo THAT WAS SO GOOD

Redrum and Coke fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Sep 13, 2016

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Spanish Manlove posted:

Seriously, this rules so loving hard

Sounds like it was recorded in an abandoned Super Kmart.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

Sounds like it was recorded in an abandoned Super Kmart.

The phrase you're looking for is a trash can in mono.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
I think the full Crotchduster quote was recorded in mono into a boombox that was inside a metal trash can.

But I was referring mainly to the ludicrous amount of reverb on that song.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

I think the full Crotchduster quote was recorded in mono into a boombox that was inside a metal trash can.

But I was referring mainly to the ludicrous amount of reverb on that song.

oh yeah I think you are right haha. It is atmospheric black metal though so it's to be expected.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I decided I am going to take a solo trip to MN and see Abbath (meh on CoB).

Should be a fun ride from Winnipeg through the cold plains of the Northern Prairies.

Kinda fitting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alvarez IV
Aug 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
What's some music that isn't metal but that you can throw in a playlist of mostly metal and have it not stand out? I'm already thinking of is stuff like Nick Cave or Sopor Aeternus or even Geto Boys. Bleak poo poo. I'm not looking for any genres in particular, just non-metal. Serious answers only, no one say "Ghost."