Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
I preordered the album and shirt but I didn't get the survival pack with the jeff rosenstock condoms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

Hat Thoughts posted:

Here's what I'm wondering, wasn't that song somewhere else? I swear I've heard it before but I can't find any evidence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBfwS4H8QMg

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Ahhhhhh thank u

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Hat Thoughts posted:

Here's what I'm wondering, wasn't that song somewhere else? I swear I've heard it before but I can't find any evidence.

Yeah, it's a PUP song, an Off with there Heads video and a Simpson's joke.

Rosenstock is clearly a master of originality.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Ferrule posted:

Yeah, it's a PUP song, an Off with there Heads video and a Simpson's joke.

Rosenstock is clearly a master of originality.

What Off with Their Heads video(s?) is it cribbing from?

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Hat Thoughts posted:

What Off with Their Heads video(s?) is it cribbing from?

Probably this one after watching the Jeff video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvzKZ1KNbnM

if "walking at the camera and having people not like you" is now an OWTH did it first thing

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
RIP Prince Buster

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Teemu Pokemon posted:

perhaps this is not the jeff thread anymore since no one seems to care that he's got a new album coming out this fall

fateo has won

WAIT WHAT

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
im preordering the poo poo out of the shirt/cd combo

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.
Time to make this the right kind of Jeff thread
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QH0pK7SaoI4

Battle Rockers
Aug 3, 2008

i wanna witness ur slit

Hat Thoughts posted:

RIP Prince Buster

Really loving tragic.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Depending on how my afternoon goes and whether or not it's sold out (I don't believe it is), I'm going to see Bim Skala Bim and King Django tomorrow :hellyeah:

aricoarena posted:

Time to make this the right kind of Jeff thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9g3--WYH8SY

??????

e: realtalk that is A Good Song and their singer reminds me slightly of Chuck Robertson so it's A O K in my book

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Sep 10, 2016

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Also, no one ITT cares about them anymore for reasons that I honestly don't really get, but I'm going to the Rx Bandits ...And The Battle Begun full album show next month and I'm loving stoked

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MR48KJJlOGE

I know they're not ska anymore but like what the hell that poo poo is dope fight me

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Sep 10, 2016

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Rx Bandits are loving great and they only got better with age. Mandala is excellent.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Gemini Her Majesty is one of the best albums I've heard since it came out and I honestly believe it's better than anything they did when they were a traditional third wave band, not that I didn't like their music from that era. I remember when it first came out it was kinda dissed in this thread and that blows my mind because that album is so goddamn good, it's been in a steady rotation for me since the first time I heard it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Hat Thoughts posted:

RIP Prince Buster

Towering genius of Jamaican music and popular music in general, really. RIP. :(

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Hat Thoughts posted:

RIP Prince Buster

The sad part for me is, I figured he was dead a long time ago.

In other sad, but nowhere near as sad as Prince Buster dying news, The Specials and The Skatalites are both playing in Chicago this week, except they're both playing Thursday night, so you have to pick one. I chose Skatalites even though I know there's only like two living members left. I guess I figure this is probably my last chance to see them, and The Specials might still come around one more time.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bird in a Blender posted:

In other sad, but nowhere near as sad as Prince Buster dying news, The Specials and The Skatalites are both playing in Chicago this week, except they're both playing Thursday night, so you have to pick one. I chose Skatalites even though I know there's only like two living members left. I guess I figure this is probably my last chance to see them, and The Specials might still come around one more time.

The Specials are a bit of a skeleton nowadays, aren't they? I mean, Brad died at the start of this year (RIP), Jerry was never part of the reunion in 2009, and Roddy Radiation and Neville Staple have both left. So the Specials at this point are basically Terry, Horace and Lynval, aren't they?

Did anyone ever listen to any of the "Today's Specials" era stuff? I've only listened to the Guilty Til Proved Innocnet album (where they decided they might as well make a bit of money out of the ska punk craze in America), but has anyone any thoughts on the album they did with Desmond Dekker? Worth listening to?

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Sep 12, 2016

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I had, or might still have, Today's Specials, and it was not good. I listened to it once, and that was enough.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Today's Specials were the version of the Specials who did that super energetic cover of Pressure Drop, right?? I liked that. It wouldn't surprise me if that's the best part of that album, though.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Did the Selecter ever have an album in the 1990s where they teamed up with an old Jamaican superstar? I feel like they might have done, but I'm not sure.

Honestly, I tend to assume all of the 2 Tone bands except Madness did that (they obviously had a lot of Blue Beat influence but I think their single biggest influence as artists was the late, great and inimitable Ian Dury, who they did record a song with).

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Is it Desmond Dekker that really, really hates gay people? Or am I thinking of Buju Banton

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

drunk asian neighbor posted:

Is it Desmond Dekker that really, really hates gay people? Or am I thinking of Buju Banton

I definitely remember Buju Banton having some shows cancelled because of it, never heard anything about Dekker

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Buju Banton is a notorious homophobe who broke into a house with a gang of dudes and helped beat up like 6 guys because they suspected they were gay

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Skatalites turned out to be just ok. The music was good, but the young guys in the band did not look terribly comfortable on stage. Charley Organaire played some songs too and he was good, but he also came out with The Skatalites and it was pretty clear that there wasn't any practice done because he had this constant look on his face that he wasn't totally sure what to do except for play a couple harmonica solos. Doreen Shaffer is still fantastic even though she's at least 70.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Got back from Streetlight in Boston and it was fucken awesome. Such a great live show and they said they will be back next year.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Remember when they had their final tour?

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
I wonder if they really thought it would be the last tour, or there would be a more lengthy break, or if they were just goofing.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Remember when they also said they'd be focusing more on releasing new albums now that their lovely contract was finally up?

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

I 'member

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Didn't they get countersued as they claimed the rerelease of Catch 22 Did not count towards the four albums they were required to release?

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Sep 20, 2016

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Their "final tour" was probably the last one they had planned but then needed to pay legal fees for what bobkatt said so look more shows

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Could they not have just made a live record and called it a day? I mean, I get not wanting to give Victory the satisfaction, but who needs the headache?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Could they not have just made a live record and called it a day? I mean, I get not wanting to give Victory the satisfaction, but who needs the headache?

Assume they will claim it's not original material so it will not count.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Assume they will claim it's not original material so it will not count.

I think victory said that part of the agreement to re record the album in the first place, instead of just re-releasing the original, was that it would not count towards the record deal.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

One day when we are long dead and the Earth has been swallowed by the sun, there will finally be the release of 99SOR Vol. 2

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Hometown Throwdown 19 tickets go on sale Friday 10 am

I was really hoping they'd do it over NYE :(

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Sep 22, 2016

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

I'm glad they're not. Hotel in kenmore square for those 3 nights is like $560. If you add NYE it's now like $900. Waaaay too much

The poster rules though. Hopefully the worldwide stuff means international acts and Jaya the Cat has been in Europe long enough to count

Fateo McMurray fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Sep 22, 2016

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

That's why I stay in the North End (but it's really because the bars are open later)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Just found out The Toasters are playing Philly tonight

Why didn't I know this earlier. Ugh