Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
It's a low risk contract, he'll probably play a partial season of winter ball then move on to double A were he gets bored and we never hear from him again. He won't be blocking any real prospects and maybe puts a few more butts in the minor leagues seats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Holy poo poo he just freezes when he sees a charging Colon. :stare:

Unrelated, this outfield play to force out Trout is a good illustration of why the Infield Fly Rule exists:

http://m.mlb.com/cutfour/2016/09/10/200559742/video-elvis-andrus-intentionally-drops-popup-to-trick-mike-trout

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

I'm at a bar, someone explain to me what the gently caress happened with Roberts taking Hill out 7 innings into a perfect game at 89 pitches
Rich Hill has had a lot of trouble with blisters so the Dodgers are being conservative with him. It'll all be ok when he throws a perfecto in October instead

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Atomizer posted:

Unrelated, this outfield play to force out Trout is a good illustration of why the Infield Fly Rule exists:

http://m.mlb.com/cutfour/2016/09/10/200559742/video-elvis-andrus-intentionally-drops-popup-to-trick-mike-trout

The infield fly rule is to prevent infielders from getting a double play by doing this. Dropping the ball to exchange for a slower baserunner is perfectly legal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJDH43XBmxM

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

bawfuls posted:

Rich Hill has had a lot of trouble with blisters so the Dodgers are being conservative with him. It'll all be ok when he throws a perfecto in October instead

I'm fully aware of the blisters that's still stupid as hell

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Atomizer posted:

Holy poo poo he just freezes when he sees a charging Colon. :stare:

I mean, wouldn't you?

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
The Phillies called up Jorge Alfaro and Roman Quinn; Quinn's going to be in the starting lineup, playing CF, this afternoon.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Inspector_666 posted:

I mean, wouldn't you?

Don't move! He can't see us if we don't move.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

I'm fully aware of the blisters that's still stupid as hell

Probably more important that he not develop another blister three weeks before the playoffs though

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
If he's really that fragile then you're in deep poo poo if you're counting on him for the playoffs

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

If he's really that fragile then you're in deep poo poo if you're counting on him for the playoffs

They'll still have Kershaw. He might be enough.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Get hosed, Billy.

https://twitter.com/susanslusser/status/775024299983851521

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Pierzynski to the DL so I guess maybe he is done?

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

what

https://twitter.com/YasielPuig/status/775065199216881664

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Pierzynski to the DL so I guess maybe he is done?

Obviously done but can't say it without losing his last couple paychecks. DL works out best for everyone.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Inspector_666 posted:

I mean, wouldn't you?

Well yeah, either that or run as fast as I could in the opposite direction!

Tom Gorman posted:

Don't move! He can't see us if we don't move.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mm83FTA89AY

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I hope the Red Sox sign Edwin in the offseason just so they never have to pitch to him again.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Tom Gorman posted:

My grandpa lives in MO and has been a Cardinal fan his whole life. At some point when cassette recorders became a thing he started recording Cardinal games. Tons and tons of broadcasts, putting the radio and cassette recorder next to each other. He's hanging in there and sits on the porch or in his chair listening to fuzzy recordings of Jack Buck. He's not really all with it so I think the outcome of every game is still a surprise.

I can never truly be mad at the Cardinals because of this.

you need to get those digitized

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

As long as he doesn't pull his hamstring cheering and force everyone to hate him again, I'm going to allow it. #PuigMyFriend

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

What a lovely, stupid contact

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
A's are also releasing Danny Valencia because...uhh...

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

Rand alPaul posted:

UFC 204

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Rand alPaul posted:

Has that actually happened yet? I love the guy's bat but his glove is loving horrible, so I feel like letting him DH a bit for the rest of the year would work out just fine, too.

Matt Olson is apparently getting the call when Nashville's playoffs wrap up, which is cool.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Senf posted:

Has that actually happened yet? I love the guy's bat but his glove is loving horrible, so I feel like letting him DH a bit for the rest of the year would work out just fine, too.

Matt Olson is apparently getting the call when Nashville's playoffs wrap up, which is cool.

It just popped on MLBTR but yeah I don't get dropping him before the season ends.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/dshemie8/status/775036849542852608

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

:stare:

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Bring. Back. The. Expos.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
See this is why we need the Expos back

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

William T. Hornaday posted:

What's going on at 2:15 where the Marlins are the home team against the Mariners at Safeco?

U2 had previously booked the Marlins stadium for a concert.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Sorry for linking to a Jeff Passan article, but:

http://jeff-passan.tumblr.com/post/150298840477/10-degrees-why-yanking-rich-hill-from-a-perfect

quote:

Dozier – who did not make the All-Star team, by the way, because Eduardo Nunez did

Did I fall asleep and miss this, because what the gently caress?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

fyi this link has really terrible and loud autoplay content.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Poque posted:

:smith: My computer even tried to warn me about reading Passan, but my muted speakers missed it.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Poque posted:

Summary: Fans complaining about Roberts pulling Hill are dumb because it was done in the interest of keeping Hill healthy and ready to be a #2 starter behind Kershaw for the postseason. And given the incredible amount of pitching talent in the NL postseason contenders, and the incredible amount of slugging talent in the AL postseason contenders, having Hill healthy is crucial to the Dodgers making a real push.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Red posted:

Sorry for linking to a Jeff Passan article, but:

http://jeff-passan.tumblr.com/post/150298840477/10-degrees-why-yanking-rich-hill-from-a-perfect

Did I fall asleep and miss this, because what the gently caress?
Brian Dozier's 2016 going into the last two weeks of June: .232/.324/.379 for a .704 OPS with seven home runs and 25 RBI's.
Eduardo Nunez's 2016 going into the All-Star Break: .321/.347/.489 for a .836 OPS with 12 home runs and 40 RBI's.

Brian Dozier since the All-Star Break: .319/.366/.733 for a 1.099 OPS with 17 doubles, 25 home runs, and 50 RBI's in 55 games.

This is Brian Dozier in a nutshell. Obviously he's in the best run of form of his entire career, but every year he goes into a prolonged slump where he feels like he has to pull absolutely everything:
  • Curveball in the dirt? Pull it
  • Shoulder-high fastball? Pull it
  • Slider that's six inches outside? Pull it
  • Aroldis Chapman throws a 105-mph at his head? Try to hit it down the third base line
This was basically how he tried to hit for the first two and a half months of this year (as well as the rest of 2015 after the All-Star Game).

Then at some points he figures out that...no...that actually doesn't work and he corrects himself. This year, he worked with Tom Brunansky on tweaking his swing (again) starting right around the time the All-Star rosters were announced, and he heated up very quickly. Twins broadcasts have stated that he did some more tweaking in late July, and he's been absolutely bonkers since then.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 12, 2016

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Nunez was also having a totally outrageous career year. Which I guess is obvious from the stats but it's not like Nunez stole the All-Star spot undeservedly or something.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Crazy Ted posted:

Tom Brunansky

Wait a minute, is this the guy who coached back to back to back AAU national championship teams?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

bewbies posted:

Wait a minute, is this the guy who coached back to back to back AAU national championship teams?
:lol: Close but not quite. That's Tom Emanski. Tom Brunansky was a Twins player from about 1983 to 1990, and he came back to the organization to coach after he retired.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

Nunez was also having a totally outrageous career year. Which I guess is obvious from the stats but it's not like Nunez stole the All-Star spot undeservedly or something.

But as someone who's been too busy to pay attention to a lot of baseball, it looks like some Rip Van Winkle poo poo at first glance.

/wakes up
/rubs eyes
/sees 'Eduardo Nunez, All-Star'
/faints for another year

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Red posted:

But as someone who's been too busy to pay attention to a lot of baseball, it looks like some Rip Van Winkle poo poo at first glance.

/wakes up
/rubs eyes
/sees 'Eduardo Nunez, All-Star'
/faints for another year
Yes it was kind of weird to see "Eduardo Nunez, All-Star", but he was having a major outlier of a season at the time and was an actual, legitimately productive utility infielder for the Twins. He's come back down to earth since he was traded to the Giants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

Also, Yost elected to take Cano as the Mariners' sole all-star giving him two 2nd base-only players and Dustin Pedroia was in the final vote so I think you can defend him not wanting to pick an additional 2nd base-only guy since he could end up with 4 of them.

• Locked thread