Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

The problem with Arkham knight is the stupid riddler trophies, the stupid car parts, and batman maybe committing suicide.

I want another Arkham game drat it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Mr Hootington posted:

and batman maybe committing suicide.
Social/financial suicide maybe.

I mean, you don't get all PREPARE THE SUPER SPECIAL PROTOCOL FOR JUST SUCH AN EMERGENCY and walk into your doom.

The fallout from Waynetech/The Wayne Foundation being seized and dismantled and caught in miles of red tape due to the association with a known vigilante would be fun, as would the way Dick and Tim's lives would be ruined.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

Social/financial suicide maybe.

I mean, you don't get all PREPARE THE SUPER SPECIAL PROTOCOL FOR JUST SUCH AN EMERGENCY and walk into your doom.

The fallout from Waynetech/The Wayne Foundation being seized and dismantled and caught in miles of red tape due to the association with a known vigilante would be fun, as would the way Dick and Tim's lives would be ruined.

Per the DLC Tim married Barbara Gordon and kept fighting crime so apparently it worked out pretty well for him!

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Why are so many newer cartoons using the 11-13 minute story standard? Is it a data-driven thing, with actual metrics indicating target audiences prefer it to full half-hour episodes? Is everyone just aping a couple of successful shows that used that format early on? Is it easier/more enjoyable for the creative talent? For the technical workflow stuff (e.g. getting more episodes fully produced more quickly)?

I have no complaints about it, but I don't understand if it's just a style trend, or a response to actual real feedback/research.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
It's probably data driven with regards to kid's attention spans. It also let's them spread a normal half hour's worth of content over 2 days instead of 1. Some shows will do double new episodes, but usually it is one new and one repeat if they double up at all. And if you do this once a week you can either have a normal season of material last longer than normal, or you can cut the content down but keep the season length generally the same.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
There was a near-constant stream of new Adventure Time episodes every week for well over a year because by just showing 11 minutes a week, you could effectively double the amount of time a show was on the air. Also it meant the other show paired with it in that timeslot got viewership too, whether it was Regular Show or Gumball or whatever.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Makes me wonder, when was the 11-minute format first invented? Stuff from Nick's launch in '91 was in that format, like Rugrats, and they continues to pump out a lot, I want to say that's when the format caught on and the then current and upcoming animation channels started ordering stuff in that format.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

There's also something to be said on an artistic level for shorter runtimes necessitating less filler and tighter boarding/writing. A lot of older kids' cartoons just had nothing to say for 21 minutes, but ran to the time because that was how long they had to be.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Android Blues posted:

A lot of older kids' cartoons just had nothing to say for 21 minutes, but ran to the time because that was how long they had to be.
I don't quite remember but wasn't Tiny Toon Adventures a mix of smaller episodes and longer 20-ish minute shows? Like they would do a Fields of Honey style Big Plot but a bunch of little random poo poo episodes like the singing frog one or the one with little Plucky Duck getting potty trained.

Kind of puts to light how Animaniacs was basically an animated variety show.

Something like The Centurions, though, has to have the requisite Danger Scene with the leads once or twice to pad the run time.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Three Shorts (ABA) has been used extensively all over.

Two Shorts (or AB) was mostly just Nickelodeon (Doug, Spongebob, and Rugrats) and then later Cartoon Network. Also, 80's My Little Pony 'n' Friends did it, because it rotated the second half between several different "'n' Friends" shows.

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

Toshimo posted:

Also, 80's My Little Pony 'n' Friends did it, because it rotated the second half between several different "'n' Friends" shows.

Let's see, we've got Disgruntled Goat, Uncle Ant, Ku Klux Klam...

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
Don't forget Flatulent Fox!

Based on a true story.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Huh, I thought that was just Garfield 'N Friends

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Makes me wonder, when was the 11-minute format first invented? Stuff from Nick's launch in '91 was in that format, like Rugrats, and they continues to pump out a lot, I want to say that's when the format caught on and the then current and upcoming animation channels started ordering stuff in that format.

I always assumed it was just a throwback to classic Disney and Loony Toons shorts.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Huh, I thought that was just Garfield 'N Friends

I know the newspaper strip is absolutely rubbish, but...was Garfield and Friends any good? I REMEMBER it being good, but nostalgia is a hell of a drug, and I don't think I want to go back and try rewatching the show to find out.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Dexie posted:

I know the newspaper strip is absolutely rubbish, but...was Garfield and Friends any good? I REMEMBER it being good, but nostalgia is a hell of a drug, and I don't think I want to go back and try rewatching the show to find out.

U.S. Acres can gently caress right off.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I remember watching Garfield as a child in that reluctant "no other cartoons are on" way that I put up with so many bad shows.

Why couldn't everything be Darkwing Duck?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Dexie posted:

Tried watching the first episode on netflix last year and noooooooooooooo. I wanna think it got better after a season or two but I do not want to confirm that and murder my nostalgia.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEG-UFWXCiQ

Garfield Halloween episode rules, though.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Professor Wayne posted:

Garfield Halloween episode rules, though.

candycandycandycandy

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

ImpAtom posted:

Per the DLC Tim married Barbara Gordon and kept fighting crime so apparently it worked out pretty well for him!

I suppose we should have taken that as a sign that DC apparently has to put Barbara Gordon into a poorly written relationship with another member of the Batfamily for cheap drama, because apparently the audience wouldn't care otherwise.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

deong posted:

Here is a better trailer for the adam west batman.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5r6a8bOahFQ

Even if they screw up showing the joker stache, the most important thing is to censor this like something from the 60s as far as language goes. That would be above and beyond DC, but it'd be the most impressive thing they could pull if they avoided any swears.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Yvonmukluk posted:

I suppose we should have taken that as a sign that DC apparently has to put Barbara Gordon into a poorly written relationship with another member of the Batfamily for cheap drama, because apparently the audience wouldn't care otherwise.

That was such an odd change that honestly wasn't needed at all, but I guess you could say that about most of Arkham Knight

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

JT Smiley posted:

That was such an odd change that honestly wasn't needed at all, but I guess you could say that about most of Arkham Knight

You could say that about a fair few of DC's recent creative decisions.

JackBobby
Feb 26, 2016

Endless Mike posted:

I kinda doubt Dini was writing incidental environmental dialogue

Tom Bissell, a critic and writer, was super critical (along with a lot of people) of the "bitch" stuff in Arkham City. He ended up being brought on to write incidental dialogue in Origins in response to the backlash from City. There's an episode of Kumail Nanjiani's old video game podcast where Bissell talks about how hard it is to think up a million different permutations of lines for random thugs to say.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Patrolling the Mojave Almost Makes You Wish For a Nuclear Winter

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

JackBobby posted:

Tom Bissell, a critic and writer, was super critical (along with a lot of people) of the "bitch" stuff in Arkham City. He ended up being brought on to write incidental dialogue in Origins in response to the backlash from City. There's an episode of Kumail Nanjiani's old video game podcast where Bissell talks about how hard it is to think up a million different permutations of lines for random thugs to say.

Is he the dude who wrote the dialogue where you hear a random goon talking about how he doesn't want to be a criminal but he has crippling medical bills and a kid to feed and nobody will hire someone with a record right before Batman hops down and breaks his arms?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

While some of the lines mooks have in the Arkham games are loving garbage and uninspired, especially the ones they yell during combat. (IT'S THE FREAKIN BAT!!), a ton of the incidental conversations they have among themselves are amazing. Except the ones where they talk about how bad they wanna rape (insert any of the female characters here).

It helps that most of it is Joe DiMaggio talking to another Joe DiMaggio.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

"Firefly? Isn't Gotham supposed to have a Firebug, too?"

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Lurdiak posted:

It helps that most of it is Joe DiMaggio talking to another Joe DiMaggio.

But Joltin' Joe has left and gone away...

Hey hey hey... hey hey hey...

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I blame this oxycotin I'm on.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

So according to Google, Justice League Action is supposedly starting in October, but there doesn't seem to be an exact release date.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
"First Arkham Asylum... Then Arkham City... What's next, Arkham WORLD?!"

I was always kind of disappointed they didn't make any comments about that time Batman wore his goofy purple gloves. Or how about the time he had rubber bat-nipples. Ooh or how about the fabric cowl with the purple painted-on bat eyebrows!!!

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Sep 18, 2016

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

FilthyImp posted:

"First Arkham Asylum... Then Arkham City... What's next, Arkham WORLD?!"

Arky kham Country

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Acne Rain posted:

Arky kham Country

It'll be another prequel called Arkham Cul-de-Sac.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I guess Ultimate Spider-Man is done, so they are rebooting it again with a new series based on the adventures of a young Peter Parker called Marvel's Spider-Man.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

ToastyPotato posted:

I guess Ultimate Spider-Man is done, so they are rebooting it again with a new series based on the adventures of a young Peter Parker called Marvel's Spider-Man.

Can't be any worse, I suppose.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Specifically, Ultimate Spider-man will be done in early January with a two parter called "Graduation Day" and then (probably on August or something after the movie comes out) we get Spider-man with Kevin Shinick as story editor.

Cautiously optimistic. Also USM did a round 2 at Spider-verse and that was fun, did a re-imagining of Spider-Gwen where she's from Miles' universe since he spent most of the season with Peter.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

we get Spider-man with Kevin S-

Oh please no!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

hinick as story editor.

Oh thank god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I really wonder if this is going to be like the "start" of a new animated universe like Ultimate was or if it'll be its own thing or if the Avengers Assemble are just going to pretend they have never, ever met Spider-man before in their lives.
The current animated universe is simply bad, there's nothing that makes it unique and their unified art style is trash, so I kinda hope this breaks from it and, just, something good comes out. I wanna see a Spider-man cartoon and fully enjoy it instead of going "well, that was neat, it was an acceptable action cartoon I cannot really talk about much online because who the gently caress else is going to give it a shot after two seasons of trash and one of being kinda okay in some episodes"
I'm guessing Man of Action won't be involved since they're handling the new Ben 10 cartoon.

Also Hulk: Where Monsters Dwell is a thing. Magic adventure with Doctor Strange, Hulk and Banner are separated and all that.

CBR posted:

Dan Slott, who is working on the series, was then brought up on stage. Lane and Wacker said the show will “pull a lot from Dan’s run” on Spider-Man.
:negative:

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Oct 8, 2016