Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I've never heard anyone complain about the dialogue on Deadwood, including the Internet :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Yeah if you want deadwood with regular dialogue check out Hell on Wheels

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

HoW is a not so great copy-cat of Deadwood that began to lose actors as the series zombied on and became unwatchable

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Isn't that an overtly comic-book show? I found it pretty unwatchable from the start and wouldn't think of Hell on Wheels and Deadwood as related in anything but setting, but maybe I just didn't give it enough of a chance?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

19th century english is torture to read and hear unless you're a loving guy named samuel clemens for some god damned reason and ive been repressing my hate for the antiquated speaking in deadwood forever. The show is so good but not everyone needed to trip on ten dollar words all the loving time! Its terrible!

Space Pussy
Feb 19, 2011

Flatscan posted:

David Milch is a mess of drug addictions, gambling problems and mental illness, that`s why.

This explains John From Cincinnati but not why Deadwood was canceled.

Pron on VHS posted:

Yeah if you want deadwood with regular dialogue check out Hell on Wheels

Uh, don't do this

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Deadwood was real good. Crazy that it got cancelled

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

hemophilia posted:

19th century english is torture to read and hear unless you're a loving guy named samuel clemens for some god damned reason and ive been repressing my hate for the antiquated speaking in deadwood forever. The show is so good but not everyone needed to trip on ten dollar words all the loving time! Its terrible!

:psyduck:

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

I recently binged through Deadwood and I'm super excited for Westworld.

Also Deadwood was great for the unusual dialogue and the fierceness that Swearengen delivered his lines.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I read series review for Deadwood and the author called it "Shakespeare in the mud" and that seemed accurate enough a description for the unique dialogue that made it so great a show.

Carnivale ended way too soon, but iirc the creator had something like 8 seasons planned or something, someone should have told him HBO was making the show

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Hooplehead is the greatest word ever tho.

Hell on wheels was hot garbage except for the startrek guy hamming it up.

Justified was a much better Deadwood substitute.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

zVxTeflon posted:

Hell on Wheels became much better when they dropped most of the generic western crap and started focusing on building the railroad.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Jim Beaver as Ellsworth was the best at delivering sublime and polite "fucks" in a non-threatening way.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Is it me or does any thread about an HBO show eventually derail to Deadwood discussion? I'm not complaining, just curious.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
its literally the greatest show ever made so its fine

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

lifts cats over head posted:

Is it me or does any thread about an HBO show eventually derail to Deadwood discussion? I'm not complaining, just curious.

You want the on-topic discussion but you need the bad pussy.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I think most show discussion end up going back to The Wire or Deadwood, I guess Game of Thrones now too

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We should talk about Dream On more.

UberAaron
Feb 11, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

zVxTeflon posted:

Truth.

quote:

Colm Meaney is the only reason to watch that show. It's still not enough.

quote:

It's a much better use of Timothy Olyphant.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

I'm old enough to remember Dream On in the early 90's, it was very good for its day and hilarious (and bonus boobies). It and The Larry Sanders Show owned the 90's.

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004

Rhyno posted:

I have a friend we still call Gibby One Nut since he lost a ball in the mid 90's.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Brian Benben is so awesome that I sat through multiple seasons of Private Practise just for him.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
New trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuS5huqOND4

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

We're spread, we're spread, we're spreading our.... wings! :v:

God drat. I can't wait.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Is this a one season thing? Or are they shooting for series?

Rewatched the original movie today for the first time in 20 years. I didn't know Michael Crichton wrote it when i saw it before, but knowing that now it's pretty obviously similar to his other works a theme park malfunctions and guests are trapped as a Velociraptor Yul Brynner chases them down.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

This looks really good

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Medullah posted:

Is this a one season thing? Or are they shooting for series?

Rewatched the original movie today for the first time in 20 years. I didn't know Michael Crichton wrote it when i saw it before, but knowing that now it's pretty obviously similar to his other works a theme park malfunctions and guests are trapped as a Velociraptor Yul Brynner chases them down.

I think they're hoping it will :turianass: replace :turianass: GoT, so multiple seasons are definitely a strong possibility.

At the same time: it's HBO and they hate spending money on sets/costumes, that they can't buy at a department store in Manhattan, for more than two seasons sooooo............

It comes down to ratings and reviews. If it earns them critical acclaim, it will almost certainly get a second season just because. But if it isn't pulling in subscriptions and hype (as in: are people having WW viewing parties ala Got/TWD?) it will get the can.

:shrug:

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
It has a good cast and is made by Jonathan Nolan so I think HBO are aiming high with it.

Also out of all those famous people, I'm weirdly mostly looking forward to seeing Jimmi Simpson.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

At the same time: it's HBO and they hate spending money on sets/costumes, that they can't buy at a department store in Manhattan, for more than two seasons sooooo............

Is this a current sentiment? I know the price tag for Rome, Deadwood, and Carnivale is what led all three to be canned before anyone realized DVD sales were a thing. But I thought HBO had learned from their mistakes.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

James Marsden posted:

It wasn’t about getting the first 10 [episodes] done, it was about mapping out what the next 5 or 6 years are going to be. We wanted everything in line so that when the very last episode airs and we have our show finale, five or seven years down the line, we knew how it was going to end the first season.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/09/08/westworld-plan

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009

Dazerbeams posted:

Is this a current sentiment? I know the price tag for Rome, Deadwood, and Carnivale is what led all three to be canned before anyone realized DVD sales were a thing. But I thought HBO had learned from their mistakes.

Utopia couldn't even get off the ground because of budget concerns, I was really looking forward to that one.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Dazerbeams posted:

Carnivale :smith:

Professor Shark posted:

This looks really good

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I'm not a fan of reboots . . .

but

Nah nah nah nah nah nah

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
New new trailer: https://discoverwestworld.com/video/intra/WW_TRLR_Dreams_V6.mp4

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
I'm not sure where Roy Orbison fits in but :magical: this looks so loving good.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yeah every trailer has more hosed up stuff in it, it looks like the... robots? (What are they calling them?)... get out

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Shark posted:

Yeah every trailer has more hosed up stuff in it, it looks like the... robots? (What are they calling them?)... get out

:crossarms:

Have you not seen the original movie?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I think I watched it like 8 years ago. HBO has it on their site, I'll have to rewatch this weekend

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Next time you watch the original Westworld just remember that it's written by Michael Crichton, and see if you notice any common themes amongst it and Jurassic Park.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Abner Assington posted:

I'm not sure where Roy Orbison fits in but :magical: this looks so loving good.

The same song was used in Blue Velvet and helped to reboot his musical career.

• Locked thread