Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Ammanas posted:

What made you change monitors?

Getting a bonus from work mostly, the XB271HU is one of the 1440p/165Hz/IPS/Gsync monitors, really expensive but really nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Buy an X34 instead :unsmigghh:

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Paul MaudDib posted:

Buy an X34 instead :unsmigghh:

This. An Ultrawide has been the next best thing aside from upgrading to a SSD.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
I really want that Samsung CF791 ultrawide thats coming. It has an aggressive curve, 100hz, freesync and an all white color.

So perfect and I am finding that 100hz is all I need.

Guess Ill sell the XR341ck and use my MG279q for now.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Roughly how far back do you guys sit from a 34 inch ultrawide? I've been considering a 29 inch one but the lack of height doesn't seem like much fun.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Guesstimating here, but I think the distance from my eyes to my monitor is around 2' and some change.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Roughly how far back do you guys sit from a 34 inch ultrawide? I've been considering a 29 inch one but the lack of height doesn't seem like much fun.

The 29 inch ones seem WAY too small. You would be better off going with a 27 inch 16:9 than a 21:9, 29 inch. The only use I could find for one is using it vertical.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I can't believe that people think a 29" is small. I have a 29UM67 and it seems fine. I'm also fine with my 23" 16:9 and my 21" 16:10.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

How far away do you sit from your monitor? Honestly, after getting used to a 42" 16:9 screen, even the 34" ultrawides seem overly short now for my comfortable viewing distance/desk setup (around 3'). 16 inches tall seems like a decent compromise height to me, but that would be equivalent to either a ~32/33" 16:9 or a 41" 21:9 screen. I'm guessing there won't be any higher resolution, high refresh panels in those kinds of sizes/dimensions for a while.

Comparing those 40" 4K screens to the 34" ultrawides makes me think I'd rather get 4K and set up a custom 21:9 resolution on it if I really wanted to use that. The resolution and dimensions would still end up bigger than a 34" ultrawide.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Well I'm only about 2 feet, max, from my monitor (more like 1.8 i'd guess) and I'm on a 24 inch. I'm just worried it'll stretch out too far to the sides if I get a 34 inch ultrawide. I suppose I could try getting a table-clamp vesa mount so that the huge stands don't push it 8 inches out from the wall.

Wall mounting is out of the equation.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Grog posted:

Comparing those 40" 4K screens to the 34" ultrawides makes me think I'd rather get 4K and set up a custom 21:9 resolution on it if I really wanted to use that. The resolution and dimensions would still end up bigger than a 34" ultrawide.

As long as you're happy to game without gsync and no more than 60Hz then that is the sensible thing to do.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
I sit about 2' back myself.

My opinion is that 29" is too short for ultrawide - 34" is great but it's essentially the same height as your usual 27" but with more real estate on the sides. For productivity use, the benefits are obvious, and with gaming it fills in the peripheral vision quite nicely.

With 29" UWD, you're sacrificing some of that height and it's going to make you feel cramped, almost. If price is an issue you'd probably be better off getting a nice 27" 16:9, with adaptive sync, maybe. (Of course with less pixels to push you're also going to get better framerates and that.)

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

wargames posted:

just let 16:10 die already, everyone knows wider is better.

Yeah, gently caress choice am I right?

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

The Deadly Hume posted:

I sit about 2' back myself.

My opinion is that 29" is too short for ultrawide - 34" is great but it's essentially the same height as your usual 27" but with more real estate on the sides. For productivity use, the benefits are obvious, and with gaming it fills in the peripheral vision quite nicely.

With 29" UWD, you're sacrificing some of that height and it's going to make you feel cramped, almost. If price is an issue you'd probably be better off getting a nice 27" 16:9, with adaptive sync, maybe. (Of course with less pixels to push you're also going to get better framerates and that.)

Yeah a 29 inch is the same height as a 24 inch, but when I cut out a sheet of paper to try and mimic it, I quickly realized I'd feel 'squashed' all the time where I don't have that issue from the 24 16:10 monitor I use.

A 27 inch 16:9 is a nice middle ground, I'm sure, but since a monitor is something I'm going to keep for ages, and I'm a true first-world-problem kinda guy and will hem and haw over this purchase likely for months.

Now if only I could rent a monitor and put it up on my desk to I can see how it looks. Or borrow one. I need to find a friend with an ultrawide who'd let me take it on a field trip.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Yeah a 29 inch is the same height as a 24 inch, but when I cut out a sheet of paper to try and mimic it, I quickly realized I'd feel 'squashed' all the time where I don't have that issue from the 24 16:10 monitor I use.

A 27 inch 16:9 is a nice middle ground, I'm sure, but since a monitor is something I'm going to keep for ages, and I'm a true first-world-problem kinda guy and will hem and haw over this purchase likely for months.

Now if only I could rent a monitor and put it up on my desk to I can see how it looks. Or borrow one. I need to find a friend with an ultrawide who'd let me take it on a field trip.

For what it's worth I moved from a 24" 1920x1200 16:10 monitor to a 27" 2560x1440 16:9 monitor and the new one does not feel squashed, instead it just feels wider than the older monitor.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

29" Ultrawide is shorter than a 24" 16:10, whereas a 27" 16:9 is an overall great solution.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Jesus you guys have giant monitors.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

ThatOneGuy posted:

I would look at Dell Ultra Sharp monitors. They all come factory calibrated for color IIRC. Just pick the size you want, they all seem to be IPS.
I ended up just getting a Dell U2515H. The colors are absolutely gorgeous, and I've been willing to use it as the primary display for my mac over the built-in retina display just for the size.

In terms of games, I'm still using a GTX 960, and I haven't actually noticed that much of a performance hit in moving up from 1080p to 1440p. I'm not a "hardcore gamer" though, by any means.

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

A Reversal of Fortune, Perhaps?

KingEup posted:

You want a apt-x low latency equipped dongle. Not apt-x, apt-x 'low latency'. You'll need an apt-x low latency equipped receiver as well.

https://www.aptx.com/products?field_product_brand_tid=All&field_product_category_tid=128&field_aptx_type_tid=484

This is really helpful, thanks. I'm also thinking that since I intend to watch TV in a completely dark room, auto-dimming would be nice - initially this was a required feature for me, but maybe the thread can give me better advice. I vaguely remember seeing auto-dimming before (probably in various hotel rooms) and it was somewhat distracting - you'd go from a bright scene to a dark scene and see the backlight adjusting and sometimes other adjustments. I think what I want isn't really auto-dimming, but just automatic backlight adjustment based on the brightness of the room (so individual scenes wouldn't be adjusted). When the room is incredibly dark i'm currently going ghetto and just wearing sunglasses, rather than reduce the brightness and contrast which screw up the blacks on my old TV. But it would be super nice to be able to turn a light on and have the backlight instantly adjust.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

KingEup posted:

As long as you're happy to game without gsync and no more than 60Hz then that is the sensible thing to do.
Yeah, those are the main downsides right now. I'd rather wait to replace my current screen until they have bigger displays with a higher refresh rate and some form of Adaptive-Sync or at least G-Sync.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I was thinking about buying the ASUS VP247H-P gaming monitor today. Does anyone know how it fares? (I'm not real familiar with gaming monitors)

Question: Can you turn the quick refresh rate function on-and-off? For some games, I think it'd be really nice for some games, but for other games and video, I find that the quick refresh rate makes motion look 'off'.

I'm using a NVIDIA GTX 970 and Intel i7-4790K, if that's relevant.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
I wish that 4:3 was still a thing. I love my 4K screen, but imagine what a 3840x2880 screen would be like. :fap:

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

HalloKitty posted:

Yeah, gently caress choice am I right?

I mean 16:10 is the fedora hat of resolutions.

Cromlech
Jan 5, 2007

TOODLES
Hi guys, I was hoping maybe some of you guys could help me. I didn't see a template for these kinds of requests, so I hope this isn't too much of a faux pas to post.

Basically, I'm looking for two thin-bezel IPS monitors with no speakers, display port, 23-24 inches, VESA compatible, and 1080p. I'd like to mount these. I'll be watching movies, gaming, and doing general browsing on these monitors. Lower input lag would be nice - the big selling point would be having thin bezels. I'd like to pay, at maximum, 250 USD per.

My new setup will be running a Skylake i5, 16gb ram, and a GTX 1060.

Thanks!

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Cromlech posted:

Hi guys, I was hoping maybe some of you guys could help me. I didn't see a template for these kinds of requests, so I hope this isn't too much of a faux pas to post.

Basically, I'm looking for two thin-bezel IPS monitors with no speakers, display port, 23-24 inches, VESA compatible, and 1080p. I'd like to mount these. I'll be watching movies, gaming, and doing general browsing on these monitors. Lower input lag would be nice - the big selling point would be having thin bezels. I'd like to pay, at maximum, 250 USD per.

My new setup will be running a Skylake i5, 16gb ram, and a GTX 1060.

Thanks!

The Dell U2414H pretty much fits all your criteria and is cheap at B&H right now.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

wargames posted:

"I would like to spend more on having less resolution. No sorry, I don't want the same resolution twice on the same screen for the same price, please give me esoteric, obsolete formats only.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Wasabi the J posted:

"I would like to spend more on having less resolution. No sorry, I don't want the same resolution twice on the same screen for the same price, please give me esoteric, obsolete formats only.

Actually, I'd like to spend more on having more resolution.

Thankfully we're now getting huge ultrawides that are essentially two 4:3 screens without the bezel. It's good VR just hit so I have an excuse to delay my monitor upgrade for a few more years for the prices to fall down though, I don't want to spend 1000 euros on a screen *again*.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

wargames posted:

Wasabi the J posted:

look it's as close as possible to the glorious godly golden ratio of 1.6180339887 dot dot dot used since ancient times okay????

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

look it's as close as possible to the glorious godly golden ratio of 1.6180339887 dot dot dot used since ancient times okay????

In this resolution I am euphoric

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I have a 16:10 just because the U2412 was the best monitor at the time (and still is pretty great).

I thought it was kind of neat that you can fit a full 1080 picture and still have a taskbar if you are a fancy video editor or whatever but I'm not so..

On another topic, does anyone do a mounting setup with a curved ultrawide above and a flat 24" below? I was thinking of doing that with the flat 24" being the gaming monitor and the ultrawide desktop and coding. Then eventually replace with another curved ultrawide when I get a vid card that can drive the resolution in games.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Truga posted:

Actually, I'd like to spend more on having more resolution.

Thankfully we're now getting huge ultrawides that are essentially two 4:3 screens without the bezel. It's good VR just hit so I have an excuse to delay my monitor upgrade for a few more years for the prices to fall down though, I don't want to spend 1000 euros on a screen *again*.

Yeah, 16:10 made some sense when it was an extra 120 pixels of height, less so when it's a bit more height (maybe, just get a 40" 4K) and acres less width.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Apparently FreeSync works better if difference between minimal Sync refresh rate and maximal Sync refresh rate is 2.5x. How important is that in practice? I am looking at getting LG 29UM68-P and apparently it has FreeSync range of 48-75Hz.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Xarn posted:

Apparently FreeSync works better if difference between minimal Sync refresh rate and maximal Sync refresh rate is 2.5x. How important is that in practice? I am looking at getting LG 29UM68-P and apparently it has FreeSync range of 48-75Hz.

The feature in question here is called Low Framerate Compensation. The idea is that if the framerate falls out of the bottom of the sync range it can just send every frame twice to keep it back in the sync range. However it needs the maximum sync rate to be at least 2.5x the minimum sync rate.

If you can keep your framerate in the sync range then it doesn't matter. It does help at the lower end since it stretches the sync range farther down, but FreeSync still won't fix the fact that you are only pushing 20 frames per second or whatever. It will be judder free but at some point you will still be able to detect the individual frames.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

It does mean you don't need to fret quite as hard with settings. Plus a lot of the ones that aren't that wide downright suck.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
I think those LG monitors can get a modded freesync range of 30-75 which gives you 2.5x min to max. Also I saw a post somewhere through testing that the minimum actually only needs to be 2x for LFC to kick in.

1024x768
Oct 25, 2004

oh god

PerrineClostermann posted:

In this resolution I am euphoric

hello

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

B-Mac posted:

I think those LG monitors can get a modded freesync range of 30-75 which gives you 2.5x min to max. Also I saw a post somewhere through testing that the minimum actually only needs to be 2x for LFC to kick in.

It seems to be more like "you can mod it to 40-75, or lower and pray that you got lucky with the internal HW".

Well, new question. Is there a nice ultrawide with FreeSync, at least 75hz refresh rate, with 30-75 sync range, thats not crazy expensive? :v:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Xarn posted:

It seems to be more like "you can mod it to 40-75, or lower and pray that you got lucky with the internal HW".

Well, new question. Is there a nice ultrawide with FreeSync, at least 75hz refresh rate, with 30-75 sync range, thats not crazy expensive? :v:

You could try camping Acer return for XR341CKs, I got mine for 600 USD. I think the price should be coming down with more variety in the pipes for this year and maybe a 100 Hz to take the halo from the 75 Hz screens.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

priznat posted:

On another topic, does anyone do a mounting setup with a curved ultrawide above and a flat 24" below? I was thinking of doing that with the flat 24" being the gaming monitor and the ultrawide desktop and coding. Then eventually replace with another curved ultrawide when I get a vid card that can drive the resolution in games.
I have that setup, but with the ultrawide on the bottom as my gaming monitor. I only push games to the 24" when I'm recording. I've got a gtx 970 pushing everything though, and I've found that pretty much everything I have that can hit 60 fps max settings on the 24" can still manage it on the 34".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

LogicalFallacy posted:

I have that setup, but with the ultrawide on the bottom as my gaming monitor. I only push games to the 24" when I'm recording. I've got a gtx 970 pushing everything though, and I've found that pretty much everything I have that can hit 60 fps max settings on the 24" can still manage it on the 34".

Oh really! Interesting, since I have the 970 too. Holding out for a good sale on the ultrawide now.. thanks for the info!