Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

smuh posted:

why does the handgun set include a condom

Extra protection :wink:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Cuz you bout to get fuuuuuuuucked

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Because you have to play on hard

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

smuh posted:

why does the handgun set include a condom

Extra prote-...

Golden Goat posted:

Extra protection :wink:

Oh god drat it.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

blackguy32 posted:

Yeah, they are completely gone when you return to the mansion. After that, the only ones I think you will see are in the lab. Once the self-destruct sequence is activated, any zombies left that weren't burned or decapitated instantly turn into crimson heads, regardless of time.

thankfully there's a kerosine jug right at the start of the lab level. But running that plus those bugs would be rough

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

frank.club posted:

thankfully there's a kerosine jug right at the start of the lab level. But running that plus those bugs would be rough

Well I think it's really only in that one entrance hallway with the 2 zombies. It's really hardly something you should bother with, especially considering that the zombies are easily ran past in the first place. I have played way too much remake over the years :(

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
It's kind of hard to run from Crimson Heads when you're so busy screaming and flailing at the screen

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008

Scalding Coffee posted:

Probably because you kept using the knife so much, the game thought you were doing a knife only run, and gave you enough to stagger.

Oh my god, this is a thing? That's what I get for being economical. Welp, time to reset and shoot everything like a pleb

This does kinda make sense now that I think about it, I've been butt-knifing and taking baby steps to rifle-snipe everyone before they notice me, and rifle ammo is the one thing that I get alot of

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Crowetron posted:

Is this the first time you've seen a pre-order bonus before? I mean, yeah, those are terrible, but games have been doing the whole "Get exclusive weapon/ammo/items only if you preorder at where ever" for years now.

I would like to meet the person who makes his purchasing decision based on those pre-order bonuses. I feel like I could learn from him.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I would like to meet the person who makes his purchasing decision based on those pre-order bonuses. I feel like I could learn from him.

its me, i'm the guy that's on the fence until some lovely shotgun gets added to gamestop preorders

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

the only good pre-order bonuses I've ever seen were that one Spider-Man game that gave you playable Stan Lee and Mass Effect 2 for giving you a gun what shoots black holes.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Crowetron posted:

the only good pre-order bonuses I've ever seen were that one Spider-Man game that gave you playable Stan Lee and Mass Effect 2 for giving you a gun what shoots black holes.

Well there was the Ocarina of Time Gamecube port for preordering Wind Waker. Also, the Castlevania soundtracks that they gave for preordering the PS2 games were badass. But I assume you were talking about in game bonuses.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

blackguy32 posted:

Well there was the Ocarina of Time Gamecube port for preordering Wind Waker. Also, the Castlevania soundtracks that they gave for preordering the PS2 games were badass. But I assume you were talking about in game bonuses.

Actually, I honestly forgot that preordering was thing before the PS3/360 era.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

tenderjerk posted:

Oh my god, this is a thing? That's what I get for being economical. Welp, time to reset and shoot everything like a pleb

This does kinda make sense now that I think about it, I've been butt-knifing and taking baby steps to rifle-snipe everyone before they notice me, and rifle ammo is the one thing that I get alot of

I dunno of that will really effect anything, the PS4 version was just super stingy with ammo for me until towards the end and I barely used the knife.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
The only pre-order bonus that ever actually got me to pre-order a game was getting my official Terry Bogard trucker hat for pre-ordering King of Fighters: Maximum Impact.

Worth it.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Ocarina of Time Master Quest was worth the preorder. The half-digested cows in Lord Jabu-Jabu were some crazy poo poo to behold.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I meant the Resident Evil bonuses specifically. Like who's looking at the list thinking "Hmmm do I want some herbs or do I want some bullets?"

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

I meant the Resident Evil bonuses specifically. Like who's looking at the list thinking "Hmmm do I want some herbs or do I want some bullets?"

o

i am a huge coward so i'd probably go with the herbs for safety. gonna assume that the spooky not-sadako can only be temporarily stunned with bullets and not actually outright killed

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I forgot to mention this when I posted that bonus list. It leaked from a Swedish retailer called "Disc Shop" and apparently the pre-order bonus is ALL of those items. So I assume that they'll straight up sell those items individually but the pre-order bonus is a collection.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Policenaut posted:

I forgot to mention this when I posted that bonus list. It leaked from a Swedish retailer called "Disc Shop" and apparently the pre-order bonus is ALL of those items. So I assume that they'll straight up sell those items individually but the pre-order bonus is a collection.

their facebook account says

quote:

Here are the retail pre-order in game bonus items! But no micro-transactions will be featured in #RE7!

so who knows

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Feels like cheating. If thats the case then I would go out of my way to specifically never order from there, just so I wouldn't (presumably) trivialize the early game. See: Saints Row 3 and Sleeping Dogs.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I don't remember if there was a Discard option in the Demo/Teaser thing, but if there's one in the game itself, you could just gather up all your ill-gotten gains and toss them under a couch or something. Even easier, you could just not download the preorder bonus.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

abagofcheetos posted:

their facebook account says

so who knows

It's not a microtransaction if they call it DLC!

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Madness!

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I remember the previous Pokemon game had 'get 20 potions!' as a preorder bonus. The basic potion, restoring 20 health. This seems about as useful.

Also: iirc, upgrading weapons in RE4 would give you a gratis clip, which was super useful for rare stuff like the magnums.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Scalding Coffee posted:

Probably because you kept using the knife so much, the game thought you were doing a knife only run, and gave you enough to stagger.

This is the issue with how clever RE4 was. Going back to it is so much harder than just having started for the first time due to the dynamic difficulty. I can't make it past the bit after the first merchant anymore without dying a few times there for the game to lower the difficulty.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Yeah, I often forget about RE4's dynamic difficulty and it often makes me wonder if I'm good enough at the game or if I die enough to make the game pity me.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

New Game plus messed me up. It does a good job of evening out the difficulty, and I hardly remember my first playthrough and how difficult it was.

I remember when I was playing through on PS3, enemies were bullet sponges and if they hit me, I lost about 60-70 percent of my health.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Bogart posted:

Also: iirc, upgrading weapons in RE4 would give you a gratis clip, which was super useful for rare stuff like the magnums.
Yep, worth keeping this in mind just to make it (even) easier. RE5 did the same thing, and even the upgrade parts in RE2 would give you a fully-loaded weapon (resulting in using the Magnum in the research room next to the weapon box, against mere zombie plebs).

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Crowetron posted:

Actually, I honestly forgot that preordering was thing before the PS3/360 era.

Yeah, back when it was maybe actually useful too, pre mass online retail and digital distribution. It's an odd sensation to think back and remember a time that if i didn't pre-order a certain game i'd maybe not play it for a long time.

Leon Cross
May 10, 2016
I think RE4 does a pretty bang up job with it's sliding difficulty.

Just got around to doing a run on the PC HD version after having it sitting around for a few months.

Has anyone poked around in the source code for the details of the sliding difficulty? It'd be interesting to look at.

On ammo: I maintained 85-92% accuracy through the game, and I'm pretty sure ammo drop rates are tied to accuracy. Miss a bunch and it takes pity and gives you more ammo, so I generally had just enough pistol ammo to kill every enemy I ran into as long as I made use of staggering, kicking, and a little knifing.

I'm one of those players that's pretty bad at using the right weapon in the right situation, though. I used the pistol pretty much 95% of everything and the sniper on another 4%. Up until mid castle, anyways, when I finally ran out of pistol ammo and started using my clusterfuck of shotgun ammo. Between the massive amount I saved up and the free reloads on the striker I wound up never actually running out of shotgun ammo. The 100 round upgrade made things a joke.

Another thing that was a joke was the magnum and the free ammo from upgrading it's clip. Bosses went from requiring some degree of skill to outright being jokes.

On the PC version in particular: I felt like the aiming was by far the easiest with mouse / keyboard, second maybe only to the wii version (though it's been....more years than I'd like to think about since I played it, so could be my memory playing tricks on me as I'm pretty sure while I murked the shooting range in this version I had a little challenge with it on even the wii).

Maneuvering on the PC felt more cumbersome. I barely used quick turn at all and the knife much more sparingly than any previous versions. It might also be my lack of playing many first person shooters these days. I was a lot more methodical than previously. Lots more focus on well placed shots and perfect positioning rather than fancy combos and risky moves. Wound up with something like 8 full heals chilling in my inventory post Saddler. I think some time in mercenaries could cure this, but I was never the biggest mercenaries fan.

Difficulty wise, the game either isn't set up for methodical game play or despite my lack of reflexes and ingrained gamer "skills" these days I'm just better overall than when I was younger, but it was pretty easy. I had 11 deaths. 3 to Ashley getting pegged by something, 2 to Delago (something about the PC controls -really- didn't click for me there), and 3 to the Krauser quick time fight. That leaves only 3 that I legitimately played poorly and got punished for it.

I had some pretty bad lag at the waterfall and the Saddler boss fight. It's not my PC specs as it's a pretty high end gaming pc, so maybe some bad optimization in water physics given the areas they happened in. Other than those two areas, ran like a dream though.

All in all, though, I feel the game held up pretty well. It's easy to see why it's so well regarded. To me, 5 felt like 4 except trying too hard to take itself seriously, and 6 was an over the top action movie with fantastic melee combat.

With RE7 going back to traditional horror (which I'll enjoy. 2 Was my first and favorite traditional RE game), I'd enjoy seeing a non mainline game that features Leon once more trapped in a B action/horror flick.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Leon Cross posted:

On the PC version in particular: I felt like the aiming was by far the easiest with mouse / keyboard, second maybe only to the wii version (though it's been....more years than I'd like to think about since I played it, so could be my memory playing tricks on me as I'm pretty sure while I murked the shooting range in this version I had a little challenge with it on even the wii).

i could be wrong because i didn't play the wii version, but didn't it have really forgiving auto aim / aim assist?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

http://residentevil.com.br/noticias/imagens-vazadas-de-resident-evil-7-mostram-armas-do-jogo

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Capcom has multiple "Resident Evil 7 Stages" at TGS this year so we'll probably get a real combat trailer soon. Good poo poo tho

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Leon Cross posted:

I think RE4 does a pretty bang up job with it's sliding difficulty.

Just got around to doing a run on the PC HD version after having it sitting around for a few months.

Has anyone poked around in the source code for the details of the sliding difficulty? It'd be interesting to look at.

On ammo: I maintained 85-92% accuracy through the game, and I'm pretty sure ammo drop rates are tied to accuracy. Miss a bunch and it takes pity and gives you more ammo, so I generally had just enough pistol ammo to kill every enemy I ran into as long as I made use of staggering, kicking, and a little knifing.

I'm one of those players that's pretty bad at using the right weapon in the right situation, though. I used the pistol pretty much 95% of everything and the sniper on another 4%. Up until mid castle, anyways, when I finally ran out of pistol ammo and started using my clusterfuck of shotgun ammo. Between the massive amount I saved up and the free reloads on the striker I wound up never actually running out of shotgun ammo. The 100 round upgrade made things a joke.

Another thing that was a joke was the magnum and the free ammo from upgrading it's clip. Bosses went from requiring some degree of skill to outright being jokes.

Maneuvering on the PC felt more cumbersome. I barely used quick turn at all and the knife much more sparingly than any previous versions. It might also be my lack of playing many first person shooters these days. I was a lot more methodical than previously. Lots more focus on well placed shots and perfect positioning rather than fancy combos and risky moves. Wound up with something like 8 full heals chilling in my inventory post Saddler. I think some time in mercenaries could cure this, but I was never the biggest mercenaries fan.

Difficulty wise, the game either isn't set up for methodical game play or despite my lack of reflexes and ingrained gamer "skills" these days I'm just better overall than when I was younger, but it was pretty easy. I had 11 deaths. 3 to Ashley getting pegged by something, 2 to Delago (something about the PC controls -really- didn't click for me there), and 3 to the Krauser quick time fight. That leaves only 3 that I legitimately played poorly and got punished for it.

I had some pretty bad lag at the waterfall and the Saddler boss fight. It's not my PC specs as it's a pretty high end gaming pc, so maybe some bad optimization in water physics given the areas they happened in. Other than those two areas, ran like a dream though.

All in all, though, I feel the game held up pretty well. It's easy to see why it's so well regarded. To me, 5 felt like 4 except trying too hard to take itself seriously, and 6 was an over the top action movie with fantastic melee combat.

With RE7 going back to traditional horror (which I'll enjoy. 2 Was my first and favorite traditional RE game), I'd enjoy seeing a non mainline game that features Leon once more trapped in a B action/horror flick.

Basically RE4 has difficulty levels from 1-10, and things like getting hit and dying decrease your rating by a certain amount of points, which, if you lose enough points bumps the difficulty down- it's the same going the other way as well.

Professional locks it at 10 and easy maxes out at 6, but a number of other changes are made on easy that make the game a lot easier.

When you get into RE5 or 6 they re-add selectable difficulty levels but the dynamic difficulty is still there, it's just within a bound dictated by your selected difficulty.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Now we're talkin Resident Evil!

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

A shame the Striker/Jail Breaker is kinda poo poo in RE5, at least compared to the Riot Gun equivalent. Like it loses a bunch of power unless you are point blank in front of the enemy and the only thing it really has going for it is the ammo which again has the 100 magazine thing.

Leon Cross
May 10, 2016

Panzeh posted:

Basically RE4 has difficulty levels from 1-10, and things like getting hit and dying decrease your rating by a certain amount of points, which, if you lose enough points bumps the difficulty down- it's the same going the other way as well.

Professional locks it at 10 and easy maxes out at 6, but a number of other changes are made on easy that make the game a lot easier.

When you get into RE5 or 6 they re-add selectable difficulty levels but the dynamic difficulty is still there, it's just within a bound dictated by your selected difficulty.

Ah, good to know.

I distinctly recall my first play through way back when it first came out that I died so many times to the Garrador cage match that he actually stopped spawning. Guess I managed to drop the difficulty to 1. :-p.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
M3 is the only shotty that matters in RE5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Is that the gun Chris holds out real far with the three barrels? Because if not, you're wrong. :colbert: