Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

I mean, you named him "For You", what is he supposed to think when he sees something he likes? :v:

(it is a Latin joke)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Well technically his name is Tiberius as in James T Kirk, but we shortened it to Tibi :v:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Alteisen posted:

Well technically his name is Tiberius as in James T Kirk, but we shortened it to Tibi :v:

He's just trying to boldly go where no cat has gone before.

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

Alteisen posted:

It frustrates me because I don't give my pets human food at all, never have and never will but for some reason tibi has a taste for it, he really loving loves it, he gets incredibly aggressive if he's inside and I'm eating human food in my room and I lock him out, like he wants to get in, if my mom leaves the spoons out for serving food tibi will be up there licking them, if we leave the chicken bones out, he'll fish one out and try to get at the meat on it.

there's probably some well-meaning but irresponsible neighbor who's putting out scraps for neighborhood cats.

Feliway has worked great for me, and we spray it on pee pads at the Hub to calm cats down. that does remind me I should order a kit when I get paid, though.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

cat_herder posted:

there's probably some well-meaning but irresponsible neighbor who's putting out scraps for neighborhood cats.

Feliway has worked great for me, and we spray it on pee pads at the Hub to calm cats down. that does remind me I should order a kit when I get paid, though.

Oh I know, this well meaning neighbor was also putting milk out. :ughh:

Edit: Ok according to my extensive research it seems Omega 3 Fish oil is what I need, its an anti inflammatory, I'll consult with my vet and give it a shot.

Alteisen fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Sep 14, 2016

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Alteisen posted:

better teach that cat the double fist overhead chop

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.
I have the opposite problem- Ranga stares intently at us eating so we cut a tiny piece of steak or whatever off for her. She sniffs it, licks it then leaves it on the floor and goes back to staring intently.

Occasionally she'll eat it so we'll cut another tiny piece which she wont touch despite happily eating the first piece.

She gets super excited about her lovely bland cat biscuits but not about fillet steak. Idiot cat.

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

Oh jeez.

Okay, I was going to class today and ran into a tiny black streak harassing cars. I scooped the little dude up because it was a dangerous situation and brought him home.

I gave him a look over and he seems healthy, but very hungry. I'm not sure how old he is--his eyes are still blue but he has a leggy lean little body. I've fed him some cat milk and left out wet, dry, and some water too. Currently he's shut up in the bathroom yelling. We're picking up some formula just in case and a litter box for him.

Good news: I already may have found his owners by asking around the neighbourhood!

Bad news: They might have been arrested yesterday!

One woman I met said the kitten looks like her neighbours, but when I popped across the street to get paper for a note the man I spoke to said he also recognized the kitten...from being walked out with a small child by the police.

I left the note anyway, but I don't know what to do. I don't want to steal some kid's cat after their parents got arrested. I called my local police and there's no way for me to find out about the people in question due to privacy laws, which I think is fair, just sucks for me and them.

I already have a kitten (who is very confused right now) so I have plenty of cat supplies. Is there anything else I should do for the little guy? Does anyone have ideas for getting word out about him?

Picture tax to come when he stops blurring my camera.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
:catbert: You should steal the cat.

Make it all plump and fat and happy.

if it makes you feel better put up a flyer or two, but chances are if the kids parents were arrested cps isnt going to make allowances for family pets.

But leaving a note is about as much as you can do in this particular case :smithfrog:

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
If they're not in a situation where they can keep the cat, let them know that you'll keep him safe and that he'll have a nice home where he's happy and loved.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Its 4am, I'm washing dishes when I hear yelping, suddenly the fattest, cuddliest, friendly puppy I've ever seen just ran out of nowhere, he's rubbing between my legs and demanding belly rubs and won't wagging his tail, seriously the tail is a blur.

I haven't the slightest idea what to do, usually its kittens that do this.

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

dog is broken, probably raised by a cat.

did he come in through a pet door or a window or what? present from SO? :psyduck:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Congrats on your new puppy. :v:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Alteisen posted:

Its 4am, I'm washing dishes when I hear yelping, suddenly the fattest, cuddliest, friendly puppy I've ever seen just ran out of nowhere, he's rubbing between my legs and demanding belly rubs and won't wagging his tail, seriously the tail is a blur.

I haven't the slightest idea what to do, usually its kittens that do this.

Well first thing you need to do is take photos and share them with us:cheeky::3::allears::kimchi:

After that I'll admit I don't know, someone else can probably be more helpful:sweatdrop:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Well it is my birthday today...

God awful quality since its so dark out but there ya go.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
Whats up fellow call of the wild person :frog::respek::unsmith:

It only gets worse when dogges start responding to your super animal call. Might need a bigger yard soon. Wait till the pitbulls show up.

if you are intending to keep it, might want to drop into the dog owning for dipshits thread and at least browse the OP before asking one of the million questions covered there.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3471773

Dogs are a lot more work though fair warning, of course thats always offset by you being the center of their world so congratulations.

TehRedWheelbarrow fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Sep 15, 2016

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

Update on the stupid goblin living in my bathroom:

So the potential owners are...not interested, evidently. They didn't call despite the note I left and they have barricaded their front door shut. I don't think the barricade is related to the cat.

Would it be ethical to start trying to rehome her soon? She (pretty sure she's a girl) is a very energetic, friendly kitten who craves cuddling and attention. I'd say it shouldn't be so hard to find her a home, but the shelters here are all overflowing with kittens--which is one of several reasons I'm not giving her to Animal Control.

I just want to do the right thing by this kitten and even her deadbeat owners, if I can.

Also, if my existing kitten is barely hissing at her in a closed carrier, that's good, right? I think we might have this kitten for a while and it'd be nice to have our bathroom back.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Tiny Deer posted:

So the potential owners are...not interested, evidently. They didn't call despite the note I left and they have barricaded their front door shut. I don't think the barricade is related to the cat.

Would it be ethical to start trying to rehome her soon? She (pretty sure she's a girl) is a very energetic, friendly kitten who craves cuddling and attention. I'd say it shouldn't be so hard to find her a home, but the shelters here are all overflowing with kittens--which is one of several reasons I'm not giving her to Animal Control.

I just want to do the right thing by this kitten and even her deadbeat owners, if I can.

Also, if my existing kitten is barely hissing at her in a closed carrier, that's good, right? I think we might have this kitten for a while and it'd be nice to have our bathroom back.

Congratulations on your new kitten!

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Tiny Deer posted:

It sounds like they don't care and given the situation they might not have been the most responsible people in the first place, so I'd say go ahead and try to find her a new home (even if it's just yours).

edit:

Iron Crowned posted:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Iron Crowned posted:

This

And dont worry too much about your existing cat. Kittens are somehow magical and usually make friends with everything (ymmv with this however). The current kitten: Special Agent D.O.G. pretty much thinks its a dog now, lays down and sleeps in the dog crates and will attempt to wrestle and play with the pibbul puppy, steal the big hound dog's sleepy spot, and do flying leaps off the bulldogs head as well as every other animal in the house since the little fucker seems to think he's 10 feet tall and bulletproof.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Pupper update, it apparently belonged to someone who's big dog got out and the pupper followed after it, pupper is safely home now.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
That's good to hear. I'm glad the pupper's adventure had a happy ending.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I would like to see update pics on all fosters! If you don't mind sharing, can you please post pics? :allears:

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

my cat is norris posted:

I would like to see update pics on all fosters! If you don't mind sharing, can you please post pics? :allears:

Yes, and there at least needs to be a Butterscotch pic on every page of this thread. Please do the needful.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
welp its not fosters but I'll take pictures of the horde..

Behold.

:iia:

Intruder

The Doyle

Echo

Lady

Loki

Harley

Special Agent D.O.G.

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

Iron Crowned posted:

time to rub feliway and catnip all over both of them and then set them loose in the living room, IMO.

also SneakyFrog you have a nice collection there! Buncha cuties if you ask me.

We aren't fostering atm because I've been sick and we're still heartbroken from Rio :( the season is nearly over tho, so I think we're gonna be sleeping well until next May.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

cat_herder posted:

time to rub feliway and catnip all over both of them and then set them loose in the living room, IMO.

also SneakyFrog you have a nice collection there! Buncha cuties if you ask me.

We aren't fostering atm because I've been sick and we're still heartbroken from Rio :( the season is nearly over tho, so I think we're gonna be sleeping well until next May.

You guys are so awesome for what you do. :glomp:

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

The kittens are warming up to each other, I think. We're doing short supervised visits and they seem to be trying a mixture of playing and slightly more serious wrasslin'. Goblin is the instigator, the little shithead :3:

Anyway, here are some pictures.

She's much more shiny than that now. I gave her a bath. I as in me singular, because this kitten does not give a gently caress. She crawls in the shower with us. She walks on Sticky Paws. She chases Spooky who is about twice her size. I have never seen her sleep. She shrieks like an infant harpy in the night. I am terrified of this kitten.

She's actually a doll, but definitely too energetic for her to mesh long-term with our current kitten, sadly. We also can't really afford another round of shots and spaying so soon after our first cat. ...I'm still tempted, mind you, but we're making an earnest effort to find her a good home before accepting defeat.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Ofecks posted:

Yes, and there at least needs to be a Butterscotch pic on every page of this thread. Please do the needful.

Alrighty then:

Bonus video of blankey nursing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRIyBjCUioQ

And a gif:

Chili fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Sep 18, 2016

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Thank you all for sharing. :kimchi:

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Oh, oh my. My life is miserable, but thank you for briefly transporting me to a world that is not miserable.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.
Oh Butty :allears:

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

And I was just lamenting last night; "where the hell's the new Butterscotch pics?!"

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Butters is looking thin these days, unless that is just a flattering angle.

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

The goblin has a home! A very nice grad student came by today, snuggled her once, and was instantly smitten. We packed up her meager possessions and sent her on her way. I'm so full of emotions, many of them mixed, but mostly I'm happy. I did a good thing for that kitten. You all do great things for pets, temporary or otherwise. I also kind of have a hankering for more work with kittens...

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm happy to report the Omega 3 has been a massive success with Tiberius, his personality has done a complete 180, he's eating more and more, he's more social, he still has some pain but its lessened quite a bit, he can almost do a full yawn!

And the things its done to his coat, my god its like petting a fluffy cloud.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Hooray for happy kitty stories!

ZoeDomingo
Nov 12, 2009
I posted this in the Cat Questions Megathread, but didn't really get any suggestions, so I thought I'd post it here, too.

My cat Henry has these scabs around his neck and on his head. The other two have one or two little dots, but he has a lot of them. I took them to the vet about two weeks ago to get their rabies shots, and the vet checked all of them for fleas but didn't find any (I haven't seen any in my apartment and I haven't had any bites myself). He said it might be mange, but he didn't take a skin sample. He just told me to put Neosporin on the spots if they look bad and to bring Henry back if it gets worse.

I can't really tell if it's worse or not. Some of the scabs get knocked off when they play with each other, and one spot was bleeding the other day, so I cleaned it up and put Neosporin on it. Henry seems to be okay otherwise, as do the other two. He scratches a bit, and so do the other two to a much lesser extent. But they're all eating and excreting normally, as far as I can tell, and they're very active and basically act like 4-month old kittens.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I can try to get a picture of one of the spots, if I can get him to cooperate.

Someone in the other thread suggested a possible food allergy, and asked if I'd changed up their food recently. They're eating the same canned food they did in the shelter, but I added a dry food because I can't come home and feed them in the middle of the day. I chose one of the ones listed as a "good dry food" in the Pet Nutrition Thread: Solid Gold Indigo Moon. Maybe he's allergic to something in that?

So I'm not sure what to do now. I wasn't impressed with this vet. He seemed sort of rushed and nonchalant during the examination. And he didn't know what the green tattoos on their bellies meant; I had to tell him it was to indicate they'd been fixed. I only took them to that office because they offered a free first visit to shelter-adopted pets, and I needed to get their rabies shots. I'm planning to take him to a different vet that a coworker recommended, but I was hoping someone here might have seen or heard of this before.

ZoeDomingo fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Sep 21, 2016

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
Second opinion time for sure. I hope another more competent vet can help you out.

Are the other 2 just playing too roughly with him? My Charlotte is always getting scrapes from playing too roughly with my Henry (best cat name btw).

Allergies seem plausible as well. Have you tried stopping the dry food to see if his condition improves?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZoeDomingo
Nov 12, 2009
Well, George plays a little rough, but Emily is tiny compared to Henry. Maybe she compensates with extra meanness. :)

I want to try stopping the dry food but since I work during the day I don't have any other way to feed them then. I may try to find a different one that has different ingredients.