Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Mintergalactic posted:

I believe Houston is a pretty good place to be right now for guilty gear, have you considered giving that a try

I've put in a bit of time with Revelator. If that's the game around here then I'll put in some more time. Sin seems really cool...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

cloofish posted:

I've put in a bit of time with Revelator. If that's the game around here then I'll put in some more time. Sin seems really cool...

good choice, sin is fun to mash buttons with

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

cloofish posted:

Ok well I live in Houston so I could probably find competition at even my university. Better work from there, I guess.

Tell Faulty pomp says hi

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Houston has the best Sin in the US so you're in a good place if you wanna learn the char

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Zand posted:

no actually you should keep owning them im not suggesting you dont play them. i think variety in opponents is good. i just think that playing people like that exclusively wont help. eventually once you get better and better it wont be fun for them unless they get a "taste for blood" or a "yearning for battle" or whatever you want to call it. i know that in learning fgs a lot of players have a turning point where they feel a desire or some sort of craving for competition where the idea of trying/seeking stronger battles seems less like a chore and more like something they really want.

everyone starts out flailing around, or hating "spammers," or under the delusion that fighting games are hard before they even get to the point of being a scrub. some people just never make it to scrub status even and those people will eventually be people you dont want to play with and people that won't want to play with you, and there isnt anything wrong with that. this isnt just true in fgs, its true in most games. i still remember the day nobody would play scrabble with me anymore :[

lol scrabble

the best way to find the "taste for blood" against good players for me has been to just focus on *one thing* every match. it doesn't matter if you win or lose, just get that one ky setup or whatever and feel good about that. Then you can see how they react and adjust further, etc.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

In Training posted:

Dropping 40 straight wins on your friends FTW

I have a buddy who's better at basically every single fighting game than I am (I can't keep up in 2D fighters but I can hold my own in fighters like Tekken or DOA) but I made him so mad one night stomping his rear end 25 times in a row on Soul Calibur 5 that he silently left my house and walked home a mile and a half in the rain

bad metaphors
Nov 6, 2014

Here's my hot take. Fighting games are like riding bikes. As you get more comfortable with your character and the controls, you stare at your own character's sprite less and keep an eye on the opponent more. Eyes on the road bitch!!!!!

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I went 0-60 against my friend who's a self described "washed up Bedman" while prepping for my first tournament back in July.

I'd like to try again sometime, I think I got 1-59 or 2-58 in me now.

Gonna check out locals in Calgary on Thursday, I'm curious what it'll be like compared to out east. I've anecdotally heard the city has a reputation for being poo poo/just nobody playing much. But I mean I'm poo poo so as long as I can get find a small handful of people to get Xrd matches with on the reg I'll be happy.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

bad metaphors posted:

Here's my hot take. Fighting games are like riding bikes. As you get more comfortable with your character and the controls, you stare at your own character's sprite less and keep an eye on the opponent more. Eyes on the road bitch!!!!!

Yeah this is probably right, there's so much you need to internalise cause you have no time to think when responding to something split second, you just need to train your hands/fingers/whatever to react instantly before you can even think about playing reactively.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

my goal when i went to locals for melty was always just to land nrvnqsr's basic combos. and then hey i landed those combos twice and therefore won because i was playing a busted rear end character. that's my protips. what were we talking about again.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Babe Magnet posted:

I have a buddy who's better at basically every single fighting game than I am (I can't keep up in 2D fighters but I can hold my own in fighters like Tekken or DOA) but I made him so mad one night stomping his rear end 25 times in a row on Soul Calibur 5 that he silently left my house and walked home a mile and a half in the rain

sometimes i blindside my local chipp with something really stupid and the way he loudly expresses his dismay just encourages me

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
the look on his face when he gets hit by Judge Better Half is real good too

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Pomp posted:

sometimes i blindside my local chipp with something really stupid and the way he loudly expresses his dismay just encourages me

I felt bad after a while but then I remembered all the times he was sandbagging me in Marvel or he would get way into poo poo-talking while I flailed uselessly against his Kens and his Bisons and his inability to grasp my sick Dampierre tech delighted me to no end

I tried to offer him a ride home but he looked like he was ready to clean my clock and I kind of just let him go. JMJ has three passions in life: animation, fighting games, and getting swole, whereas my only passions are crying and sweating so I wasn't about to be ultra-comboed IRL

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Booyah- posted:

the best way to find the "taste for blood" against good players for me has been to just focus on *one thing* every match. it doesn't matter if you win or lose, just get that one ky setup or whatever and feel good about that. Then you can see how they react and adjust further, etc.

Yeah there's an art to finding stuff to take out from getting your rear end kicked. I'm an idiot '16er and losing twenty matches in a row when I just started playing Xrd kinda sucked and was frustrating but now I still lose 20 in a row sometimes and it's no biggie. The big thing for me as a completely new person was learning enough of the game/my characters techniques that I wasn't overwhelmed. You wanna be fighting the player, not the game (yes, I'm speaking in cliches). At the beginning when I lost there was just so much going on that I had no idea what to pay attention to/what was happening because I was just so unfamiliar with mechanics, controls, execution, etc. The games would start and I would just feel locked in constant pressure with no escape. Now when I get bodied at least I know what's going on, why it's happening and can develop ideas of how to stop it/develop techniques. I can focus on trying to land my own pet combo that I'm working on. If they're catching me 10 different ways, maybe I can focus on one of them by the end of the session they'll only be catching me with 9 different things. It's dumb, slow and incremental, but you can find your spots and work on them. I've lost shitloads in a row to a Raven and it's tough, sure, but since I'm getting knocked down so much it's also great chance practice blocking oki mixups.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

bad metaphors posted:

Here's my hot take. Fighting games are like riding bikes.

username + post combo

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

When I first went to local tournament I got blown up because I was trying to react to things as they come, but you're a lot more successful if you anticipate what someone might do instead of waiting for them to start doing it and then respond. It's the only way to break the minimum human reaction time barrier. Also don't be too aggressive or you'll put yourself into situations where bad things can happen until you learn what those bad things can be and you learn when to be aggressive more smartly. I think those are two good pieces of advice for any new locals player in any game, don't rush yourself and don't try to chase your opponent's choices, you'll never catch up.

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.
My first tournament, I was pretty nervous because I thought I was going to just get slaughtered. I crashed out of the tournament pretty much immediately but I actually gave a good account of myself and almost won my match in losers. It was really close and some of the people watching got hype when I almost came back. Even though I lost it was a really fun and positive experience :unsmith:

Fighting games are cool because it's one of the few types of games where it can be fun to get wrecked, and not just in a delayed-gratification "I know this is making me better" type of way, even though that's true as well.

I'm not sure what my point is but fighting games are cool and tournaments are cool. Thanks everybody

troofs fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Sep 14, 2016

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

username + post combo

I've seen them do that like five times, I'm starting to think it's an actual gimmick

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

So, have y'all transitioned to actually boxing/grappling or w/e

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

I don't really know if this is the right place to post this, but on UltraChen's show last night, they spoke about how Ed Ma is working on the new Ubisoft game, For Honor. Figured someone in this thread would appreciate this factoid.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

FanaticalMilk posted:

I don't really know if this is the right place to post this, but on UltraChen's show last night, they spoke about how Ed Ma is working on the new Ubisoft game, For Honor. Figured someone in this thread would appreciate this factoid.

ed ma has been a combat designer on a ton of 3rd person melee action games so yea thats not surprising at all.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

anime was right posted:

ed ma has been a combat designer on a ton of 3rd person melee action games so yea thats not surprising at all.

Really, what else has he worked on. In fact, is there any good list of FGC folk who have worked on games, that'd be cool.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

FanaticalMilk posted:

Really, what else has he worked on. In fact, is there any good list of FGC folk who have worked on games, that'd be cool.

edma was a combat designer for most of the god of war series.

seth and maj on playstation allstars/rising thunder, both now riot i think, lead producer on pbr moved onto riot
buncha old school dudes worked on those awful 2.5d ones, one of them being the aforementioned producer
tragic worked on darksiders 1/2 iirc, no idea where hes at now
theres a bunch of random rear end fgc and smash ppl at riot that i know of, like jonlo (i think, unless its a different jonlo lol), clakeyd, etc
mike z is obvious
keits, jebaily, zinac all work on ki season 3 last i checked (well, jebailey is a CM not really a player). i think geoffthehero is a qa tester there?
the guy who made hyper fighting has been in the games industry for years (deejay), he worked on d3's combat design and ki season 1, no idea where hes at now

its almost like being reasonably good at fgs gives you the insight to make games in general (the joke here is that i am not good at fighting games because i am no longer working on video games)

anime was right fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Sep 14, 2016

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
i think you mean the joke is those games are all terrible

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
clearly i was banned from evo so fighting games would never be good.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

anime was right posted:

edma was a combat designer for most of the god of war series.

seth and maj on playstation allstars/rising thunder, both now riot i think, lead producer on pbr moved onto riot
buncha old school dudes worked on those awful 2.5d ones, one of them being the aforementioned producer
tragic worked on darksiders 1/2 iirc, no idea where hes at now
theres a bunch of random rear end fgc and smash ppl at riot that i know of, like jonlo (i think, unless its a different jonlo lol), clakeyd, etc
mike z is obvious
keits, jebaily, zinac all work on ki season 3 last i checked (well, jebailey is a CM not really a player). i think geoffthehero is a qa tester there?
the guy who made hyper fighting has been in the games industry for years (deejay), he worked on d3's combat design and ki season 1, no idea where hes at now

its almost like being reasonably good at fgs gives you the insight to make games in general (the joke here is that i am not good at fighting games because i am no longer working on video games)

you missed one:

brian (3s legend) works on those sort of money grabbing mobile games where you match things and pop bubbles but it's totally cool because it's angry birds honest

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Oh man, how could I forget David "Playing to Win" Sirlin.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Super dumb, general question coming up, just to see if I have this straight: if someone does a jump-in in a 2D fighter, is the tradeoff usually that the move is [more plus on block/a better combo starter/hits high] in exchange for vulnerability to anti-airs? As a follow up, do divekicks tend to be useful because they change the [angle/timing] of approach to make anti-airs miss, or do they often have some other benefit as well?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It's amazing how normal of a guy David Sirlin looks

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

In Training posted:

Playing video games with people is fun, try not to forget that in your quest for eSports cashola

not even god and la area traffic will stop me from getting the sweet sweet 40-80 dollar pot prize at wnf kof14 tonight

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

dhamster posted:

Super dumb, general question coming up, just to see if I have this straight: if someone does a jump-in in a 2D fighter, is the tradeoff usually that the move is [more plus on block/a better combo starter/hits high] in exchange for vulnerability to anti-airs? As a follow up, do divekicks tend to be useful because they change the [angle/timing] of approach to make anti-airs miss, or do they often have some other benefit as well?

You've pretty much got it. Dive kicks have a few other advantages as well, like how they can be used to punish throw techs and that they can let you punish fireballs in some situations where normal jumps would get AA'ed.

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

mysterious loyall X posted:

not even god and la area traffic will stop me from getting the sweet sweet 40-80 dollar pot prize at wnf kof14 tonight

Hyperhopping all the way to the bank.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Jmcrofts posted:

You've pretty much got it. Dive kicks have a few other advantages as well, like how they can be used to punish throw techs and that they can let you punish fireballs in some situations where normal jumps would get AA'ed.

Thanks crofts. Another follow up: what is the typical way to stuff a divekick? Meeting it in the air?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

dhamster posted:

Thanks crofts. Another follow up: what is the typical way to stuff a divekick? Meeting it in the air?

Most characters have some fast normals that cover that angle. Stand jabs are usually good too.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

brian posted:

you missed one:

brian (3s legend) works on those sort of money grabbing mobile games where you match things and pop bubbles but it's totally cool because it's angry birds honest

Did you do the Bust-a-Move Angry Birds clone?

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

My friend just posted this on facebook.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fQ3NdI7_B0

Anyone play this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

anothergod posted:

My friend just posted this on facebook.