Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

krysten ritter is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The next Marvel Netflix show will be about how that window had a family and the window's son grew up to be a crime boss all because of Luke Cage and a choppily edited fight scene.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I would take every word of negativity back if that Damage Control show got greenlit and their first case was this window.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Does this series take place after his interactions with Jessica Jones? I only ask because I wasn't sure based on the content of the trailer, and it would make more sense to me if that were the case than it being a prequel.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Doctor Butts posted:

Does this series take place after his interactions with Jessica Jones? I only ask because I wasn't sure based on the content of the trailer, and it would make more sense to me if that were the case than it being a prequel.

It's after.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
The whole blatant disregard for property values could also be taking place in a flashback to a time before he figured out he shouldn't just go apeshit to stop a purse snatcher.

The show will probably have a fair portion dedicated to him figuring out he's invincible and super strong, so he better take it easy. There is no doubt to be an Uncle Tom Ben in this series somewhere.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Unctuous Cretin posted:

The whole blatant disregard for property values could also be taking place in a flashback to a time before he figured out he shouldn't just go apeshit to stop a purse snatcher.

Hopefully, but I doubt it based on other promo stuff I've seen.

quote:

There is no doubt to be an Uncle Tom Ben in this series somewhere.

The barber who tells him encouraging fatherly things about "going out to help people like them other folks downtown do." There's at least one shot in a promo of Luke shielding the guy in his barbershop against bullets. There is no loving way that barber isn't dead by the end of the season.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

PriorMarcus posted:

I can't even imagine the amount of sexist allegations that will start flying in they ever have a comic accurate She Hulk in live action.

Why's that?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Well if I had to guess what people would get pissy over, in no particular order:

* Openly sexual both from the perspective of the production and the character herself

* Openly promiscuous and unashamed about being promiscuous

* Not afraid to emasculate men

* Not afraid to show her preference for manlier men

* Holds a strong position and reputation in two traditionally male-dominated professions-- lawyer and superhero.

Yeah there's enough meat there to chew on for woman-haters and fringe feminists alike, often the same point for entirely different reasons.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
and here I was just figuring that a character who sometimes spends entire seasons completely in greenskin giantmode might be a little weird for some folks I kinda wish this score opened into "Land of the Gun" by Immortal Technique https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMrneLyUSdc

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Sep 8, 2016

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
From BSS.

achillesforever6 posted:

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/luke-cage/258287/luke-cage-review-spoiler-free
Early non spoiler review of the 1st seven episodes, didn't realize the guy who did the original score is also the guy who did the Black Dynamite score

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

My body is ready.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Unctuous Cretin posted:

There is no doubt to be an Uncle Tom Ben in this series somewhere.

The rice guy? :confused:

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker

PerniciousKnid posted:

That dude from the movie who tries (and fails) to make Toby not be a bitch.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

PerniciousKnid posted:

Yep

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

RareAcumen posted:

Why's that?

I feel like the internet at large would see a female Hulk who, instead of changing into a mass of muscles and rage, turns into a green swimsuit model, and call it sexist. It kind of is. Her design, despite whatever justifications have been given, is meant to be erotic. I don't care, but the poo poo storm would be impressive.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

PriorMarcus posted:

I feel like the internet at large would see a female Hulk who, instead of changing into a mass of muscles and rage, turns into a green swimsuit model, and call it sexist. It kind of is. Her design, despite whatever justifications have been given, is meant to be erotic. I don't care, but the poo poo storm would be impressive.

So don't make her a swimsuit model in this iteration? Just because the original was designed to appeal to 14 year old boys doesn't mean that the MCU version needs to be the same.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Part of the stuff about Bruce Banner's Hulk is it's meant to be representative of repressed rage at his father and the fact that he had to stand there and take abuse without having the strength to act on his anger. At least that's the version I always liked. I'm pretty sure in the MCU he was trying to replicate the Captain America process, which was described to take what was inside and put it out. Good becomes Great, Bad becomes Monstrous, Anger becomes the Hulk.

So if they really want to drive this angle they could totally make Amazonian She-Hulk reasonable, if the entire thing is she's confident and in control and mentally healthy then why wouldn't she get a perfect body like Captain America, but because the process isn't fully correct it gives green skin and bigger size.

The whole thing is this is what she always was on the inside, but the process made it the outside and she loves it, which is why she doesn't turn back unlike Bruce. Who is deeply disturbed by how much repressed rage he has and how it manifests.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

Well if I had to guess what people would get pissy over, in no particular order:

* Openly sexual both from the perspective of the production and the character herself

* Openly promiscuous and unashamed about being promiscuous

* Not afraid to emasculate men

* Not afraid to show her preference for manlier men

* Holds a strong position and reputation in two traditionally male-dominated professions-- lawyer and superhero.

Yeah there's enough meat there to chew on for woman-haters and fringe feminists alike, often the same point for entirely different reasons.

coyo7e posted:

and here I was just figuring that a character who sometimes spends entire seasons completely in greenskin giantmode might be a little weird for some folks

Personally, I asked because I lost track of Hulk backstory like, immediately. And now there's maybe a Red Hulk version of him- or maybe that's exclusive to only General Ross- and a Grey Hulk that isn't mostly feral and there's that whole Joe Fixit thing that I don't even know is still a thing or not since I just remember that from the Hulk: Ultimate Destruction game so I unno man.

PriorMarcus posted:

Again, I don't really know much about She-Hulk or normal Hulk to really be an important voice about this stuff but if she got taller and bulked up that'd be enough for me. Like, if she had biceps as big as like Chun-Li's thighs or something.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Jessica Jones won an Emmy! :toot:

For best theme? :confuoot:

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

RareAcumen posted:

Again, I don't really know much about She-Hulk or normal Hulk to really be an important voice about this stuff but if she got taller and bulked up that'd be enough for me. Like, if she had biceps as big as like Chun-Li's thighs or something.

I read that they cast a big Samoan gal for The Expanse, maybe she'd work?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

howe_sam posted:

Jessica Jones won an Emmy! :toot:

For best theme? :confuoot:

It's a kick rear end theme, that's for sure. Then again, Sean Callery has been loving awesome since 24 so it's not a surprise.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

PerniciousKnid posted:

I read that they cast a big Samoan gal for The Expanse, maybe she'd work?

I'm dumb and my laptop is being slow so I couldn't find who you're talking about. But, being less hyperbolic, I think just having someone of her build would be fine.

Maybe they'll figure out a way to make her look taller than everyone, maybe they'll just roll with it like Hugh Jackman playing Wolverine. I dunno.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I looked it up, I was thinking of Frankie Adams, 6ft amateur boxer.

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011
we don't get many ripped women on tv and the ones we do get are supporting cast not main. I'm all for muscle equality.

btw have they mentioned she-hulk at all in interviews or panels or is this all hypothetical?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

It's just because I suggested her as a fun possible defense attorney for Cage, I think. No connection to anything "real".

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I would guess She-Hulk would be in the same limbo as Incredible Hulk in that Universal still has the....distribution rights or something like that in regards to solo films and that means less $$ for Marvel/Disney, but she could appear in ensemble films. How that would impact her appearance in the television world is anyone's guess.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

owl milk posted:

btw have they mentioned she-hulk at all in interviews or panels or is this all hypothetical?

Pretty sure not. Again my guess is they don't want to put out any info on She-Hulk given that they're not exactly running out of backlog to adapt and there are headaches to adapting her.

I'm sure "CGI" or "actress in makeup" could work and look well, but I doubt they want to deal with that when:

quote:

White Tiger, Spectrum, Spider-Woman, Echo, Ms. Marvel, Namora, Elsa Bloodstone, Songbird, Moonstone, Black Cat, America Ferrara, Kate Bishop, Typhoid Mary, Jocasta, Shanna, Silver Sable, Power Princess, Phylla-Vell, Spider-Gwen, Silk, and Coleen Wing

Are all right there with significantly lower production headaches, and those are just the prominent B and C-list names.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

America Ferrara is the actress from Ugly Betty, and 4 of those are Spider-Man characters.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Coleen Wing could show up/get name dropped in Luke Cage. Jocasta probably has the highest possibility of showing up in a movie beyond the "cameo" she had in Age Of Ultron. Or Kate Bishop if Hawkeye retires for reallies to be with his family.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Kheldarn posted:

Coleen Wing could show up/get name dropped in Luke Cage.

She's going to be in Iron Fist, which doesn't preclude a cameo or something in Luke Cage, but I'm betting it won't happen.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

America Ferrara is the actress from Ugly Betty, and 4 of those are Spider-Man characters.

Ah I forgot what her name was. The Young Avenger chick with the portals.

And yes 4 of them are Spider-man. So what? If Sony is sharing they're a possibility, even an oblique one.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

mind the walrus posted:

And yes 4 of them are Spider-man. So what? If Sony is sharing they're a possibility, even an oblique one.

America Chavez the new Miss America.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Also known as America Vasquez, until Marvel sends a C&D.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

mind the walrus posted:

Doesn't Marvel still retain the TV rights to the Spider-Man franchise and Sony only has the movie rights*? Or am I thinking of some other character?

* Which they've decided to share with the MCU in accordance with a very carefully worded contract

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

mind the walrus posted:

Well, you are saying they are significantly lower production headaches, but I dont think we know thats true. Less CGI would probably be required than she hulk, but we have no idea if disney have the rights to spider characters for live action TV (although we do know they have the rights to cartoon versions, so I guess you could have an animated version) or if Sony does, and if Sony does would they agree to allowing the characters to be used for a Netflix series. Just because they are willing to go halvsies on a MCU spiderman movie that'll make them all the money doesnt mean they want to be involved with a Netflix TV series. Honestly I'd reckon you'd have better odds holding out for a spider-gwenTV show to turn up on whatever its called that Sony uses to distribute Powers than on Netflix.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Doesn't Marvel still retain the TV rights to the Spider-Man franchise and Sony only has the movie rights*? Or am I thinking of some other character?

* Which they've decided to share with the MCU in accordance with a very carefully worded contract

SiKboy posted:

Well, you are saying they are significantly lower production headaches, but I dont think we know thats true. Less CGI would probably be required than she hulk, but we have no idea if disney have the rights to spider characters for live action TV (although we do know they have the rights to cartoon versions, so I guess you could have an animated version) or if Sony does, and if Sony does would they agree to allowing the characters to be used for a Netflix series. Just because they are willing to go halvsies on a MCU spiderman movie that'll make them all the money doesnt mean they want to be involved with a Netflix TV series. Honestly I'd reckon you'd have better odds holding out for a spider-gwenTV show to turn up on whatever its called that Sony uses to distribute Powers than on Netflix.

I should have clarified:

quote:

I am talking specifically about these characters being used in TV and/or Movie properties as supporting characters, co-stars, or stars in their own right

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Marvel has TV rights but since the MCU is all one thing they can't just have a different Spiderman pop up.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Nah but they could use the secondary characters if they wanted, whereas they can't in the movies without Sony's permission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

My broader point is that Marvel is at no shortage of female heroes to use before She-Hulk, almost all of whom slot into their existing tone right off.