Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Surprise T Rex posted:

I should probably clarify that being afraid of being hit was (mostly :v: ) a joke, I'm gonna give some striking styles a go along with some grappling ones.

I'm in Nottingham in the UK, so If anyone has recommendations for Judo, BJJ, Muay Thai or Kickboxing around here, that'd be great. There's one MMA place here that does both BJJ and Muay Thai classes which could be interesting. I'm leaning quite heavily toward Judo from looking into things online, but a lot of the Judo schools nearby seem to be smaller less polished outfits run in a local youth club rather than a dedicated location.

I'm planning to just check out a fair few places for a bunch of different styles over the next couple of weeks and see what I enjoy most.

I can't give you any specifics but I am pretty that there's at least one legit MMA gym there, as that's Dan Hardy's hometown. He may not be an all-time-great, but he's pretty knowledgeable and well-regarded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Re preventing more knee injury, I think it's something you just have to approach more carefully than other students of your skill level.

In standup, the three areas that are probably most likely to injure knees are:
1. drilling/practicing round kicks. The support leg is under a lot of torque for the initial phase of the kick when the support foot is fully planted, so the knee experience a lot of shearing and twisting force
2. explosive/sudden footwork, especially if you're crouched deep and/or pivoting. You tend to get deeper down in boxing than in kickboxing, because you want to avoid getting kicked/kneed in the head and because you can use your kicks on lower targets
3. getting your kicks caught or taken down and fighting it
I would say roughly in that order of likelihood.

The first one you can avoid by starting light and paying attention to how your knee responds, and not going any further. There's no shame in having physical limitations you have to work around. I have a hip thing where I can't round kick above chest level with my left leg.

The second one is similar -- just don't go way too hard in sparring before you know how your knee responds.

The last one is one of the risks of doing real martial arts -- you can get injured sparring. If you're trying to take it easy, just go with the takedown initially instead of trying to fight it.

The most important thing is to tell your instructor about your injury/limitation and make sure he/she's responsive about tailoring the instruction, even if it's as simple as telling your partner to hold pads lower or not having you do some drills.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Kashuno posted:

I'm intrigued by learning some martial arts now that I've started losing weight and am a bit more healthy. One thing I'm worried about is that I have a pretty bad knee from being hit by a car when I was a teenager. Are there any specific martial arts I should avoid if my knee isn't particularly great?

If you're looking for local recommendations let me know.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Surprise T Rex posted:

I should probably clarify that being afraid of being hit was (mostly :v: ) a joke, I'm gonna give some striking styles a go along with some grappling ones.

I'm in Nottingham in the UK, so If anyone has recommendations for Judo, BJJ, Muay Thai or Kickboxing around here, that'd be great. There's one MMA place here that does both BJJ and Muay Thai classes which could be interesting. I'm leaning quite heavily toward Judo from looking into things online, but a lot of the Judo schools nearby seem to be smaller less polished outfits run in a local youth club rather than a dedicated location.

I'm planning to just check out a fair few places for a bunch of different styles over the next couple of weeks and see what I enjoy most.

Judo tends to be run as non-profits and as long as they''re members of the appropriate national org, should actually be decent enough. Quality will still vary, but not to the extend of McDojo's.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Judo tends to be run as non-profits and as long as they''re members of the appropriate national org, should actually be decent enough. Quality will still vary, but not to the extend of McDojo's.

Yeah to expand on this, it's actually impossible to get a legit black belt in Judo without someone important having reviewed your Judo in some way. If (when) I go for mine, I'll have to be tested by an octogenarian Japanese 8th dan who visits the Kodokan regularly and a guy who is a qualified world-level official. To register in a Judo tournament you need to be registered with the regional organization through a registered and certified club which has registered and certified instructors. In Canada, to become a registered and certified Judo instructor you also need to become part of the official Sport Canada organization, which has standardized registration (and background checks) across the country. That whole affair costs about $250 and requires a weekend's training + an online course for the absolute lowest level of involvement.

Despite all of its failings, the single international judo federation keeps lots of bullshit from getting on the market, and this is an effect of the Olympic infrastructure. I may not be able to grab anyone's leg, but I also don't have to explain why the guy down the street who claims to be teaching Ishu-no-Shizen Ryu judo who guarantees a black belt in two years is a scam artist - because he doesn't exist (or he teaches "Japanese Jiu Jitsu" instead of Judo).

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Kashuno posted:

I'm intrigued by learning some martial arts now that I've started losing weight and am a bit more healthy. One thing I'm worried about is that I have a pretty bad knee from being hit by a car when I was a teenager. Are there any specific martial arts I should avoid if my knee isn't particularly great?

It's mostly going to be about a place that is safety minded and teaching proper fundamentals. And your awareness of your body /willingness to stop or do outside class prehab work to keep it strong.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Xguard86 posted:

It's hard to blame people when you're trying to run a profitable business and those tactics are proven successful. While being a good teacher and nothing else generally leads to failure.

The Gym I'm currently at is pretty great; good teacher and decent business sense, but the gym I first started at for BJJ had a good teacher; but the gym he taught in had a really scummy feel in their management team.

I ended up assisting in the little kids program, and was required to attend staff meetings. In these required staff meetings I wasn't taught better teaching skills, and other stuff like that, but was introduced to high pressure membership sales, how to sell proshop merch, was forced to read from a salesman ship book. I ended up leaving to my current gym sometime after, because it made me believe the purpose of the gym was to put as much money in the hands of the gym owner as possible rather than to learn manhugging/facepunching.

There has to be a middle ground; where the management team isn't reading "The Psychology of the Sale" and trying to take every dime from the student and where the gym isn't earning any money.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Personally I agree but if the instruction is legit I can't fault someone for trying to maximize their income.

I had a bjj instructor that was very similar and his argument was that he took the same time learning his craft as a doctor or dentist, why shouldn't he seek similar compensation? He also lived with his dad into his late twenties and started his academy from a garage. So, hard to say he hasn't paid his dues.

I stayed away from the grimier hard selling aspects of that gym but being around enough to see his pov gives me a lot more empathy.

You also knew he wasn't going to up and skip town one day, which I've heard happening more than once with more relaxed teachers.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

On the other side, my bjj instructor is an awful salesman. I don't even think he wants new students. I only kept up with it because I had friends already doing it, and now a decent portion of my social life is hanging out with people I've met through class.

Neeber
Nov 29, 2007
My gym is a former TLI-affiliate with the scammiest most mcdojo looking website (think random bold underlines, italics, yellow highlights) ever but the owner's a legit BJJ black belt under Fabio Holanda and our competition team brings back a fair number of medals every competition. I just show people the facebook page instead of the website whenever someone seems interested in hugging their fellow man.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Neeber posted:

My gym is a former TLI-affiliate with the scammiest most mcdojo looking website (think random bold underlines, italics, yellow highlights) ever but the owner's a legit BJJ black belt under Fabio Holanda and our competition team brings back a fair number of medals every competition. I just show people the facebook page instead of the website whenever someone seems interested in hugging their fellow man.

Good gyms tend to have the ugliest website though so it'S a good sign. A very web 2.0 polished website always makes me feel like that is a mcojo. Ugly website with spinning gifs? Trustworthy!

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
The guys talking about krav made me remember a story that happened a few months ago.

Some new dude at my BJJ school used to do Krav. He's uncoordinated, goes for useless/dangerous passes (he broke the orbital bone of a guy that was playing bottom by trying to somersault over the dude, he got a stern talking to and is much less spazzy now) and basically doesn't know anything about ground work which is totally fine, I'm still poo poo too so I'm not judging really that aspect.

The weird thing though is the kind of mindset that he seemed to bring in because of Krav. At some point he was in my guard and says ''hmm, this isn't working''. I then asked him what was up and he explains to me that he was doing Krav Maga pressure points or something. It was supposed to hurt and make it unpleasant and make me open my guard but it was basically just jamming his index fingers between two ribs or something. Does this kind of thing happen to others that come from Krav? I kinda thought it was weird the guy would try Krav stuff in a BJJ class.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Odddzy posted:

I kinda thought it was weird the guy would try Krav stuff in a BJJ class.

If he thought it would work and was legit under the ruleset, why shouldn't he try it? Sure, there's reason to stick to the curriculum when you're a rank beginner, but experimentation is fun.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
I honestly don't really mind it, but considering the spazzyness and experimentation kinda turned out to be a bad idea in his case I was wondering. At the end of the day nothing wrong went down and I don't really care as long as it's properly communicated in advance.

TheCardhouse
Oct 7, 2005

Just went to my first BJJ class ever and it was pretty different from what I was expecting after reading a decent amount about others' first experiences. The gym was way more packed than I expected, there must have been 50+ people there.

They had a group broken out just for newbies with about 12 of us in it. I was not alone in being brand new, two other people I talked with also started just this week and I got the impression that everyone was in their first month or two. What we did was drill I think 5 different moves instructed by a couple blue belts. 1 from guard and 4 from mounted. Mounted stuff was about how to maintain mounted position plus 3 different submissions (americana, armlock and some blood choke using their arm and your bicep) that could be used if the bottom person tried to bench press the top person off.

The weird part was I ended up paired up with someone going through their second class so both of us were basically going through the drills extremely slowly trying our best to copy what they showed but still getting it wrong. We did often have one or another of the blue belts talking us through it as we were drilling it so that helped, but it still felt bizarre drilling against someone else who was just as clueless as me. I guess the most surprising part of it was that when it was over after an hour(all we did was those drills) I had barely broken a sweat because of how slowly both of us were going just to try to figure out the motions.

It wasn't bad but I really wasn't blown away excited by it like a lot of people are after their first lessons and like I expected/hoped to be.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

TheCardhouse posted:

Just went to my first BJJ class ever and it was pretty different from what I was expecting after reading a decent amount about others' first experiences. The gym was way more packed than I expected, there must have been 50+ people there.

They had a group broken out just for newbies with about 12 of us in it. I was not alone in being brand new, two other people I talked with also started just this week and I got the impression that everyone was in their first month or two. What we did was drill I think 5 different moves instructed by a couple blue belts. 1 from guard and 4 from mounted. Mounted stuff was about how to maintain mounted position plus 3 different submissions (americana, armlock and some blood choke using their arm and your bicep) that could be used if the bottom person tried to bench press the top person off.

The weird part was I ended up paired up with someone going through their second class so both of us were basically going through the drills extremely slowly trying our best to copy what they showed but still getting it wrong. We did often have one or another of the blue belts talking us through it as we were drilling it so that helped, but it still felt bizarre drilling against someone else who was just as clueless as me. I guess the most surprising part of it was that when it was over after an hour(all we did was those drills) I had barely broken a sweat because of how slowly both of us were going just to try to figure out the motions.

It wasn't bad but I really wasn't blown away excited by it like a lot of people are after their first lessons and like I expected/hoped to be.

different school do it differently. I'm personally very favourable to having newbies roll against experimented dudes the very first day just so they get to feel just how much they don't know how this work. I also believe it's good to drill with more experimented people often. But I know a lot of school split newbies and others completely until the newbies have the basics which doesn't seem ideal to me, but it still works.

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Sep 15, 2016

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Yup. In my Gb beginners class, it's most experienced working with least experienced. Think it's a great system for the new dudes.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.

TheCardhouse posted:

September is also a time when a lot of gyms get an influx of new people and that was probably their way of dealing with it. Ask the instructor if it's usual that many students in one class - if not then you'll have a good chance to roll and drill with experienced students. If it is normally that many students in a class I would try a different school.

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever
I've been doing capoeira for two years and can answer questions about being really bad at Sexy Dance Fighting, in case anyone wants a discipline where you aren't supposed to hit your target and have to play musical instruments to advance in rank.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Hoover Dam posted:

... a discipline where you aren't supposed to hit your target...
https://twitter.com/axecapoeiravan/status/713835764228829184

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Hoover Dam posted:

I've been doing capoeira for two years and can answer questions about being really bad at Sexy Dance Fighting, in case anyone wants a discipline where you aren't supposed to hit your target and have to play musical instruments to advance in rank.
Which instruments? I play guitar alright, do I get a rank boost?

TheCardhouse
Oct 7, 2005

KingColliwog posted:

different school do it differently. I'm personally very favourable to having newbies roll against experimented dudes the very first day just so they get to feel just how much they don't know how this work. I also believe it's good to drill with more experimented people often. But I know a lot of school split newbies and others completely until the newbies have the basics which doesn't seem ideal to me, but it still works.

ICHIBAHN posted:

Yup. In my Gb beginners class, it's most experienced working with least experienced. Think it's a great system for the new dudes.

Bangkero posted:

September is also a time when a lot of gyms get an influx of new people and that was probably their way of dealing with it. Ask the instructor if it's usual that many students in one class - if not then you'll have a good chance to roll and drill with experienced students. If it is normally that many students in a class I would try a different school.

Yeah going against someone experienced, if for no other reason to just physically prove how valuable the training is, is definitely what I was missing. I know logically that I have no skills and would get destroyed by anyone with the slightest idea of what to do, but I imagine there will be a big difference from realizing that in theory and realizing it in practice.

It makes sense about September probably being a popular sign up time though and I know a huge chunk of new people quit quickly so I can understand why they'd want to do it this way. I'll try to stick with this school at least through the trial period because I'm convinced it's a great school even if the beginner program isn't what I expected.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
i'm out of shape due to taking months off (kid being born) and wanting to get back into a martial art / sport of some kind

we moved recently so my old boxing gym is out of the question, but i'd like to pick it back up, however i'm not sure about any of the gyms in my area (i'm looking for amateur boxing or competitive training, not fitness boxing if that makes sense)

if theres no boxing gym near me i would be interested in picking up a fighting style of some kind, BJJ probably being the most interesting to me

are there websites or trackers to view currently open gyms near me or is it more googling? i'd be visiting these locations first anyways but having a list would help immensely

im in columbus, oh if there are any cbus goons reading this, thanks in advance

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I've only heard good things about Grove City Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Smoking Crow posted:

I've only heard good things about Grove City Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

oh dang they offer muay thai, which would have been my third choice. nice

i'll check them out thanks. still looking for boxing first and foremost though

TheStampede
Feb 20, 2008

"I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that."

Odddzy posted:

The guys talking about krav made me remember a story...

My 2 cents. I taught MT for about 3 years (recently quit to go back to school.) and had a guy come in once to get a free first class and check us out. I asked new people if they have any previous martial arts training to get an idea of what their skill set will likely be, and this guy tells me he used to do Krav Maga. I don't have a problem with the art itself when it's practiced in a reasonable setting, but he made a point to let me know they trained him on how to rip a mans throat out, and various other "devastating techniques". Oh. Okay. Here we go...

So I begin teaching class. I've got 3 new students that night as well as the regulars, and I've been cycling through the new guys to demonstrate technique on for the class. I'm going to demonstrate the Thai clinch, and I ask KM guy to come forward so I can show the hand positioning for the plum grip. The MINUTE I lay my hands on the guys neck, he wraps me up in his arms, and starts driving me back and to the mat, Beast Mode style. This completely takes me by surprise obviously, but I maintain my footing and am able to stay up. I'm a pretty good humored guy, so I chuckle a bit and let him know, "Hey, you don't need to give me any resistance. I'm just demonstrating some hand positioning here". He looks a bit sheepish, and apologizes, so I don't think anything of it. I move in and, addressing the class, begin laying my forearms on him again. The INSTANT I make contact, he does the same thing. Full on 100% Beast mode. Okay, WTF?? I disengage, and a little more sternly remind him he only has to stand there while I show some simple hand positioning. He apologizes again, and says, "I'm sorry my training is so strong, I can't control my reflexes" Uh, okay... So, still a chuckly, good-natured dude, I laugh it off and let him know it's no biggie, but you really need to reign it in.

I tried a third time. The forth time I asked for a new volunteer.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

:stare: That's some conditioning right there.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Yeah right, dude was for sure trying to punk you.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

if anyone ever does the hand slap and fist bump thing to me outside of the gym i instantly shoot a double and lay atop them panting

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

TheStampede posted:

My 2 cents. I taught MT for about 3 years (recently quit to go back to school.) and had a guy come in once to get a free first class and check us out. I asked new people if they have any previous martial arts training to get an idea of what their skill set will likely be, and this guy tells me he used to do Krav Maga. I don't have a problem with the art itself when it's practiced in a reasonable setting, but he made a point to let me know they trained him on how to rip a mans throat out, and various other "devastating techniques". Oh. Okay. Here we go...

So I begin teaching class. I've got 3 new students that night as well as the regulars, and I've been cycling through the new guys to demonstrate technique on for the class. I'm going to demonstrate the Thai clinch, and I ask KM guy to come forward so I can show the hand positioning for the plum grip. The MINUTE I lay my hands on the guys neck, he wraps me up in his arms, and starts driving me back and to the mat, Beast Mode style. This completely takes me by surprise obviously, but I maintain my footing and am able to stay up. I'm a pretty good humored guy, so I chuckle a bit and let him know, "Hey, you don't need to give me any resistance. I'm just demonstrating some hand positioning here". He looks a bit sheepish, and apologizes, so I don't think anything of it. I move in and, addressing the class, begin laying my forearms on him again. The INSTANT I make contact, he does the same thing. Full on 100% Beast mode. Okay, WTF?? I disengage, and a little more sternly remind him he only has to stand there while I show some simple hand positioning. He apologizes again, and says, "I'm sorry my training is so strong, I can't control my reflexes" Uh, okay... So, still a chuckly, good-natured dude, I laugh it off and let him know it's no biggie, but you really need to reign it in.

I tried a third time. The forth time I asked for a new volunteer.

I wouldve told him to go gently caress off after the 2nd time lol. Not trying to sound cool or anything but ive taught those kinds of guys too, they are the idiots who get caught in a triangle choke and start trying to eye gouge their way out or something and are like "sorry bro i couldnt control my instincts". Its not safe and its not their "killer instincts" its just the fact that they cant stand being humbled or ever losing, even in a demonstration, which is like antithetical to the whole martial arts uh thing

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Never ever tell a cop/judge that you're trained and your "instincts took over". That's what these goobers would do. That's how to go to jail.

TheStampede
Feb 20, 2008

"I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that."
The thing was, he seemed genuinely embarrassed. I kind of felt like he really, sincerely thought he was supposed to do that, and not in an rear end in a top hat way. Like, that WAS how he had trained, ever day, up until that moment. I should point out that dudes superior Krav Maga razor-wire reflexes and technique failed to take down an unprepared and under sized opponent. 3 times.

TheStampede fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Sep 15, 2016

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Wanted to get this out there on the ground floor -- training BJJ and some other grappling arts will give you sick combat roll skills.
I watched some guy rolling all over the mats by himself between classes. Dark Souls fan? I hope so.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

that's pretty much how i warm up, how i navigate around my house, and how i dress myself

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Wangsbig posted:

if anyone ever does the hand slap and fist bump thing to me outside of the gym i instantly shoot a double and lay atop them panting

That might be less awkward than pulling guard at least.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
Had my first Judo class last night, and it was awesome. I felt like I was going to die during the warm up because I've done no cardio for ages, and I was completely overwhelmed and confused, but the guys there taught me Ippon Seoi Nagi and another throw I don't remember the name of. I was hoping to learn a bit about breakfalling before I got thrown, but we mostly were using crash mats and people were taking me down gently so it wasn't too much of a problem.

Randori was cool, though after a couple of opponent switches I was paired with a guy who just said "I'm not going to let you take me down" (not in a bad way) and showed me just how much everyone else was helping me along when I managed to put them down, and I just couldn't shift him at all. Newaza is good as well, I managed to get some kind of chest-hug thing down, and the guy I was paired with seemed to actually have trouble shifting me a few times, with me adjusting my weight to stop him rolling out.

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

Tread carefully, many normal people just like you have landed a successful ippon seoi nage in randori and have become addicted to judo.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Omglosser posted:

Tread carefully, many normal people just like you have landed a successful ippon seoi nage in randori and have become addicted to judo.

Yep. Now is the time to stop if you don't want to become a weirdo that pays to become better at hugging people and then thrusting his hips at them while wearing white pajamas for hours every week.

Congrats on your first class. Judo is on of the best thing that ever happened to me, I hope you enjoy it as much as most people in this thread. Getting experienced people to fall "for real" in randori is going to take some time, but in your typical randori people are supposed to accept the fall when your technique is good and people take risk that you can capitalize on, etc. so you'll get plenty of throws.

And newaza is the best because like you noticed, even a newbie can sometime get something "legit". May be the guy wasn't going 100% until then, but at some point when you're caught in a bad spot even someone inexperienced can give you a bit of a challenge if newaza isn't your strongest point (which is the case of the vast majority of judo guys).

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Sep 16, 2016

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

Wanted to get this out there on the ground floor -- training BJJ and some other grappling arts will give you sick combat roll skills.
I watched some guy rolling all over the mats by himself between classes. Dark Souls fan? I hope so.

iframes are real and you are invulnerable for a fraction of a second while rolling around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
can confirm, rolled though a semitruck the other day crossing the street