Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I haven't played Overwatch since the Battlefield 1 beta came out 2 weeks ago. Any big changes I should know about? Looks like the castle map is in, which is cool. Is D.VA still a badass?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
cool heroes to play if you can't aim but need tanks/supports: Winston, Rheinhardt, D.Va. Zarya is a little more demanding but not that much. Mercy. Lucio.

you can't just play [character] and get results, there's a process of seeing what your team has and filling in the gaps and seeing what the enemy team has and what you can do about that, and you not doing that cost most of your placement matches except the one where two tanks and a support carried you while you failed to kill a single Mei a bunch of times. if you're reaper and getting beaten in close range by Mei five times in a row and then you're still reaper for some reason and you still are only playing junkrat/reaper because you're taking advice someone gave you in a general sense over what you're seeing happen in the gameplay of the match you're in at that moment, you are not doing this thing.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

TheresaJayne posted:

I was told by people here, I cannot aim so choose someone who doesnt need to aim.
a Diamond friend suggested Junkrat.

No, people told you that you make bad decisions constantly and have no situational awareness or sense of the game, leading you to almost always be in the wrong place attacking the wrong person while playing the wrong character and using their abilities in the wrongest way possible. Harsh? Yes, but this is like the third time you've come to this thread asking how to get better and then ignored everything everyone told you.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Willie Tomg posted:

cool heroes to play if you can't aim but need tanks/supports: Winston, Rheinhardt, D.Va. Zarya is a little more demanding but not that much. Mercy. Lucio.

you can't just play [character] and get results, there's a process of seeing what your team has and filling in the gaps and seeing what the enemy team has and what you can do about that, and you not doing that cost most of your placement matches except the one where two tanks and a support carried you while you failed to kill a single Mei a bunch of times. if you're reaper and getting beaten in close range by Mei five times in a row and then you're still reaper for some reason and you still are only playing junkrat/reaper because you're taking advice someone gave you in a general sense over what you're seeing happen in the gameplay of the match you're in at that moment, you are not doing this thing.
Note though that if you can't aim you're not going to effectively tank as D.Va, because you'll spend too much time outside of the mech. Doing meaningful damage inside the mech also requires consistently aiming for the head.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Also, to give some feedback that perhaps is more fun to hear at least, find which heroes you like playing instead of just going on what people tell you. Try them all out in QP and find at least 1 in each category that you enjoy playing regardless how it goes. Then practice those, watch some streams to see when they might be useful and when it's better to switch off, try out the practice range to get a feel for how to aim at moving targets. It's worthless to play stuff you don't like, just for the sake of it.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Like, I didn't watch continuously but scrubbed through quick enough to see where the wheels were falling off in each of the matches, and you lost because you made bad picks and then played your bad pick not-nearly-well enough to offset the fact that you had only one tank or healer. That you're averse to the Tank and Support role even though you've diagnosed bad aim is mystifying to me and tells me you have trouble thinking about the events of the game in an ordered way.

Somberbrero posted:

I watched two minutes of that junkrat play on volskaya.

don't just throw your mine out and hope it hits something. as much as people rag on it, it's still a huge mobility boost. why keep shelling the same chokepoint no one is actually at when you could pop up to higher ground and actually see what you're shooting at.

oh dearie me don't use your riptire like that. you don't need to use it the second it is up. what did you expect just throwing it through the same chokepoint that everyone has covered?

seriously, move up. you're not doing anything to actually capture the objective. someone is trying to cap solo right now while you dick around.

stop using mines like that!!! at least layer them with snares if you're just going to throw them out into the universe and hope for the best. you could have set up an easy kill on zenyatta instead of just pushing his ult around the point.

i play a lot of junkrat and i don't know why you're on him right now. a tank would be choice in this situation. you're not super well equipped to handle their team as junkrat.

don't launch your riptire in direct view of zenyatta.

edit: don't amble all the way to the point when you could hop over terrain. during the overtime with 56:16 in the video you NAIL what to do with a mine during a firefight, wait until they're close enough you can pop it instantly. you could have also thrown it between you and reaper to buy yourself distance and do some damage. make sure you throw out your snare when you're capping in overtime, trap them right outside the point.

edit edit: 55:34 left, you throw your riptire out in front with no one in sight and the enemy team clustered by the choke in front of the second point. instead if you had hopped up on the structure by the platforms on the left you could have angled it behind them and then gotten at least a double. work on flanking, that's the key to using most ultimates.

also this

Main Paineframe posted:

No, people told you that you make bad decisions constantly and have no situational awareness or sense of the game, leading you to almost always be in the wrong place attacking the wrong person while playing the wrong character and using their abilities in the wrongest way possible. Harsh? Yes, but this is like the third time you've come to this thread asking how to get better and then ignored everything everyone told you.

also this

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

You should try out genji imo

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Ersatz posted:

Note though that if you can't aim you're not going to effectively tank as D.Va, because you'll spend too much time outside of the mech. Doing meaningful damage inside the mech also requires consistently aiming for the head.

i don't want to think about the kind of person who can't land headshots with a fully automatic shotgun but the gamesense in using Matrix and her ult is probably gonna short circuit her usefulness so yeah 86 D.Va, never mind that one...

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Willie Tomg posted:

i don't want to think about the kind of person who can't land headshots with a fully automatic shotgun but the gamesense in using Matrix and her ult is probably gonna short circuit her usefulness so yeah 86 D.Va, never mind that one...
Lol - fair enough.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Manatee Cannon posted:

the next new hero is actually megatron

his ult is turning into a gun that other people shoot

Why isn't Roadhog's ult summoning a motorcycle under an ally his reticule is pointed at, he steers and the ally can continue to fire while desperately hugging his butt or riding in a sidecar, motorcycle is really fast and runs over/stuns people it hits???

BLUNDERCATS! noooo
Oct 30, 2008

Anung Un Rama, Urush Un Rama
Opinion time: which do you like more: Reinhardt's Balderich skin (gaudy golden armor) or Stonehardt skin (get to see him without a helmet)?

I wanna get one but I'm so torn. Balderich is so over the top I can't help but love it, but Stonehardt is classy and has that dope lion theme. I only have 2k to spend so 1k is going to him and another 1k to someone else (tbd).

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Main Paineframe posted:

No, people told you that you make bad decisions constantly and have no situational awareness or sense of the game,
The stream was painful to watch and I think this is the root of it - no situational awareness. How does somebody fix that though? Like in one video, playing mei, she's got a reaper and a mercy in frame, reaper chases off after someone else and mercy follows, but she chases after the reaper and ignores the closer, extremely vulnerable mercy. Like I know there's a shitload going on on screen but to have any kind of success you have to be able to parse that and decide the best action and that... isn't happening.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Tactical analysis is one of the harder things to pick up for video-games. It reminds me of the old WoW raid days where someone who randomly be shooting/stabbing the wrong target from the rest of the raid, draw aggro, and then wipe everyone.

I think the best way to learn it is to play rock>paper>scissor games like Final Fantasy Tactics, Pokemon, Advance Wars etc.
Then prioritizing targets becomes instinctual.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Thor-Stryker posted:

I think the best way to learn it is to play rock>paper>scissor games like Final Fantasy Tactics, Pokemon, Advance Wars etc.
Then prioritizing targets becomes instinctual.

This

Also, look at your hero and decide who you need to/can kill on the other team or what job you need to perform. If you can't figure that out or successfully accomplish it then switch

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Ersatz posted:

I thought someone demonstrated that you reliably do more damage if you aim for people's upper bodies instead of their heads with D.Va?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

turtlecrunch posted:

Why isn't Roadhog's ult summoning a motorcycle under an ally his reticule is pointed at, he steers and the ally can continue to fire while desperately hugging his butt or riding in a sidecar, motorcycle is really fast and runs over/stuns people it hits???

Roadhog trolling people by doing snake river jumps at Ilios over and over again

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Rick posted:

I thought someone demonstrated that you reliably do more damage if you aim for people's upper bodies instead of their heads with D.Va?

I think that's reaper?

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
I'm not disregarding advice, it just tickles me even if it works, but reading Art of War and playing Pokemon to get better at Overwatch makes me giggle.

Squiggles Unite
May 29, 2014

BLUNDERCATS! noooo posted:

Opinion time: which do you like more: Reinhardt's Balderich skin (gaudy golden armor) or Stonehardt skin (get to see him without a helmet)?

I wanna get one but I'm so torn. Balderich is so over the top I can't help but love it, but Stonehardt is classy and has that dope lion theme. I only have 2k to spend so 1k is going to him and another 1k to someone else (tbd).

Balderich of course, for the same reason i have Blackhart (Blackhardt?). Such an over the top, awesome guy needs an over the top, awesome skin.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Edmond Dantes posted:

They should give McCree a Horse-shaped robot buddy.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
There should be combined ultimates.

Roadhog and junk rat riding a chopper and dropping a trail of concussion mines

Bastion and Zenyatta turning into mecha shiva

Ana and Pharah having some tag team skill

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
D.va grabs reapers shotguns, throws her mech into the fray spinning and firing the guns everywhere as it explodes

Winston goes primal rage and swings Reinhardt around while his barrier is out

Hanzo shoots his dragons into a graviton surge to drag enemies in and have them be circled by hanzo dragons

Tracer throws mei blizzard mechs and speeds them up to freeze faster

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Rick posted:

He's talking about the pilot form - you can get her back into the mech a lot faster if you can pump semi-consistent shots into heads at some kind of range.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Kashuno posted:

D.va grabs reapers shotguns, throws her mech into the fray spinning and firing the guns everywhere as it explodes

Winston goes primal rage and swings Reinhardt around while his barrier is out

Hanzo shoots his dragons into a graviton surge to drag enemies in and have them be circled by hanzo dragons

Tracer throws mei blizzard mechs and speeds them up to freeze faster

It should be canon pairs, so hanzo and genji going Double Dragon, Symmetra and Lucio spawning tron bikes that zip around leaving projectile blocking, damaging walls, Mercy floating Reinhart up into the air and dropping him like an atomic bomb, etc.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Mercy and road hog are canon did you not read the support ticket I posted

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Rick posted:

I hadn't heard that, but it's an interesting issue for medium range, given the spread on her cannons. That said, if you're going for a kill while in mech form, you're preferably very close, with every pellet hitting the head.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Winston hurls Tracer into the red team where she's horribly killed, everyone pauses to celebrate.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

They said anything else about this Sombra person?

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
nothing. its hilarious.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
literally the only excuse for this Sombra business is that they scrapped everything about the character in the last month and had to start from scratch

this has to be the absolute worst excercise in hype building I've ever seen in my life

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Kai Tave posted:

Winston hurls Tracer into the red team where she's horribly killed, everyone pauses to celebrate.

Winston throwing non-tank characters at the enemy fastball special style would be way better than his current Ult.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Main Paineframe posted:

He's talking about the pilot form - you can get her back into the mech a lot faster if you can pump semi-consistent shots into heads at some kind of range.

Oh yeah! That is definitely true.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

New D.Va strat: psychological warfare

https://gfycat.com/UnevenGorgeousIslandwhistler

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Semper Fudge posted:

literally the only excuse for this Sombra business is that they scrapped everything about the character in the last month and had to start from scratch

Well it's not like Chris Metzen just walked out, right? :v:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Semper Fudge posted:

this has to be the absolute worst excercise in hype building I've ever seen in my life

I've actually begun to suspect that someone at Blizzard pulled the trigger on that forum post countdown too early and this is them scrambling to stall for time. The whole thing smacks of "Bob the intern did WHAT? poo poo, okay, we can fix this."

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Kai Tave posted:

I've actually begun to suspect that someone at Blizzard pulled the trigger on that forum post countdown too early and this is them scrambling to stall for time. The whole thing smacks of "Bob the intern did WHAT? poo poo, okay, we can fix this."

It doesn't matter if they refuse to tell people (actually it simply doesn't matter). Of course companies aren't allowed to admit to making mistakes, so silence or lies are what we get instead.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

BLUNDERCATS! noooo posted:

It's Bundeswher, the epic army camo without a helmet.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I like the overgrown legendary, it's got a real Green Knight vibe going for it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Away all Goats posted:

Winston throwing non-tank characters at the enemy fastball special style would be way better than his current Ult.
Winston's ult is fantastic. You're a great big pile of HP, with a good shield, and on top of that you can insta-heal to 1000HP if you have your ult. I love it for knocking the enemy team off the point so my team can move in. Sure, there are characters that can kill 1000HP Winston pretty quick in the right circumstances, but the whole time his ult's up the enemy team can't do much more than try and deal with Winston.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

AceClown posted:

They said anything else about this Sombra person?

It's just over 40%! http://amomentincrime.com/