Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

spankmeister posted:

Scuttlebutt is that it's very young Lagavulin. I have a bottle and it's definitely worth the money.

The beauty of not naming the distillery is you can source it from multiple distilleries. Don't be surprised if one bottling of Finlaggan tastes like Lagavulin and another batch tastes like Laphroaig.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
I just got home from TJ's - they had the Finlaggan OR for $19. I ended up not buying any, though - as I said, I already have too muchno shortage of Scotch in the place.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

kidsafe posted:

The beauty of not naming the distillery is you can source it from multiple distilleries. Don't be surprised if one bottling of Finlaggan tastes like Lagavulin and another batch tastes like Laphroaig.

They claim it's always been from the same distillery but :shrug:

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I was just in Louisville, Kentucky for a Magic: the Gathering tournament, and after scrubbing out we went to a bunch of Bourbon bars to drink away the pain (of being an MtG player). Tried Blanten's, Baker's, Willit's Johnny Drum, Old Forester Birthday Bourbon 2016, Angel's Envy, and then topped it off with a Buffalo Trace Mint Julep. The best was the birthday bourbon, but it was also stupid expensive. Of the more affordable ones, Baker's was my favorite, a very hearty taste that filled your senses. After that, probably the Johnny Drum was my next favorite followed closely by the Blanten's. I did not like the Angel's Envy comparably. It was almost like Southern Comfort, it was so sweet. Don't get me wrong, it was still a delicious bourbon, but it's not what I was looking for, and after hearing so many people talk it up over the course of the evening, I was expecting more. Also, after you've had 12 ounces of straight bourbon, a mint julep to end your night is ridiculously sweet, even though it had followed the Angel's Envy it was almost sickening. I'm sure I'd have enjoyed a Mint Julep more on another night, it seems to have all the sorts of things I'd want in a drink, but it ended up seeming more like Dr. McGillicuddy's Mentholmint Schnapps. Overall, though, I had a great time, spent a stupid amount of money, got a lot of bourbon history, and got to check out downtown Louisville as I smashed my previous record for locations in a pub crawl. I would recommend it if you have the time and ease to get down there. If you have more time, a lot of the people we talked to seemed to have had a ball touring the distilleries earlier in the day, but we didn't manage to make it out to any.

americong
May 29, 2013

Shovelmint posted:

12 ounces of straight bourbon

what the gently caress

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Um, you drink from 4 to midnight at a reasonable pace, and that's what you end up with? 6 2oz pours

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"

Shovelmint posted:

Um, you drink from 4 to midnight at a reasonable pace, and that's what you end up with? 6 2oz pours

Unless you're Dylan Thomas.

americong
May 29, 2013

Shovelmint posted:

well, okay, I overreacted and am a big sissy lightweight

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

ChickenArise posted:

Montgomery County, primarily. http://www2.montgomerycountymd.gov/dlcsearch/ check sales and prices before you go.

I got me a bockle of quarter cask for 40 bucks today thanks friend

Also how'd you know of this sale?

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Planet X posted:

I got me a bockle of quarter cask for 40 bucks today thanks friend

Also how'd you know of this sale?

Just luck. I think there's an e-mail list (and you might be able to get some limited stuff that way), but the price differences are so different from NoVA that it's worth a trip even when there's no sale.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
I'm going to be out of province next weekend, and able to have a little different selection than I'm used to. This time, I'm doing some online store research to see what's in stock.

Can anyone tell me if Bernheim Original, FEW Bourbon or FEW Rye are worthwhile? Normally I'd splurge for a taste test but they are coming up above $70CAD which is a little steep for a dice roll, shy of an actual recc.

I'm also considering Old Forester, which is quite a bit more recklessly affordable, but if I should steer clear I'd appreciate knowing.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

A bartender is willing to hook me up with a pour of Yamazaki 18 for $30. They only have a few left in the bottle but I want to wait until next week to hear back about a job offer.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Sep 24, 2016

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Cheap whiskey talk: Benchmark is really good for the price. I think I actually like it better than Evan Williams. I really does taste like a cheaper Buffalo Trace, which makes sense since it's the same distillery.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
Well regular Knob Creek is loosing its age statement, more bourbon boom craziness. On the plus the side the much better single barrel is left alone.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Snagged one of the last bottles of 2014 Garrison Brothers from my local store.

God drat I'm sorry for you if you can't get it, it's delicious.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Welp, my mom solved my Scotch dilemma, at least temporarily - coming back from England, she picked up a bottle of Lagavulin at the duty free. So lovely and peaty and smoky. And other adjectives I'm not enough of a whiskey sperg to describe, but so good.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

mekilljoydammit posted:

Welp, my mom solved my Scotch dilemma, at least temporarily - coming back from England, she picked up a bottle of Lagavulin at the duty free. So lovely and peaty and smoky. And other adjectives I'm not enough of a whiskey sperg to describe, but so good.

It's my favorite scotch which I can reasonably afford.

Avenged
Jun 9, 2005
Don't know how well regarded it is around here, but I always promised that if I saw a bottle of rip/pappy I'd buy it.

Went to a liquor store I haven't been to in a while to pick up beer, and out of the corner of my eye I saw a bottle of 10 year Rip Van Winkle in a glass display. I asked the salesman how much for the bottle, being super excited as I've never actually seen a bottle in person. The gentleman tells me "oh, it's not for sale. We just like to show it off."

I was pissed. Bourbon Blue-Balls.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

So I'm starting to really like sherry monsters after trying GlenDronach and Glenfarclas.

Anyone got any good recommends for other sherry casked whiskies which are reasonably priced? (<~ £/$/E 50)

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Kenny Logins posted:

I'm going to be out of province next weekend, and able to have a little different selection than I'm used to. This time, I'm doing some online store research to see what's in stock.

Can anyone tell me if Bernheim Original, FEW Bourbon or FEW Rye are worthwhile? Normally I'd splurge for a taste test but they are coming up above $70CAD which is a little steep for a dice roll, shy of an actual recc.

I'm also considering Old Forester, which is quite a bit more recklessly affordable, but if I should steer clear I'd appreciate knowing.

FEW is terrible, don't be confused by the awesome bottle art. Bernheim is good, especially at the price (US $28 around these parts). The Old Forester whiskey row stuff isn't too bad, although I haven't had the 1920 yet. There are a million other BiBs I'd probably get before buying the standard Old Forester though. I'd buy the Bernheim over the Old Forester too though, but that's just me.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Jamsta posted:

So I'm starting to really like sherry monsters after trying GlenDronach and Glenfarclas.

Anyone got any good recommends for other sherry casked whiskies which are reasonably priced? (<~ £/$/E 50)

Aberlour A'bunadh

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Aberlour A'bunadh

I was gonna say the same thing. To me it is one of the most sherry bomb drams out there, especially being cask strength.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

2DCAT posted:

FEW is terrible, don't be confused by the awesome bottle art. Bernheim is good, especially at the price (US $28 around these parts). The Old Forester whiskey row stuff isn't too bad, although I haven't had the 1920 yet. There are a million other BiBs I'd probably get before buying the standard Old Forester though. I'd buy the Bernheim over the Old Forester too though, but that's just me.
Thanks for the feedback!

Man, American prices depress the hell out of me.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Kenny Logins posted:

Thanks for the feedback!

Man, American prices depress the hell out of me.

Then don't ever venture into Canada.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

mojo1701a posted:

Then don't ever venture into Canada.
yeah, that's where I'm at :canada:

Mahler
Oct 30, 2008

Haven't bought a bottle of scotch in Ontario for 5 months and suddenly I'm rich?! A'bunadh is 95-100 bux here. I still have a third of a bottle of batch 47 lying around. Along with Glendronach 12 it's one of the good "affordable" sherried scotches available here.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Aberlour A'bunadh

Paul Proteus posted:

I was gonna say the same thing. To me it is one of the most sherry bomb drams out there, especially being cask strength.

Ah, I keep heard that name being mentioned.

I'm drinking the 12 double cask right now, and it's a decent "cheaper" daily dram but not on the same level as 'Dronach or 'Farclas.

Is the A'bunadh that much of a step up? I'm always concerned about NAS bottles.

This is the one I'm seeing at MoM: https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/aberlour/aberlour-a-bunadh-batch-55-whisky/?srh=1

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Abunadh is well worth it and the line started before the whole NAS thing became what it is today.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

It's cask strength and 100% sherry casks vs. the mix of bourbon and sherry casks that most other Aberlours are

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

I'll put that on my testing list, cheers chaps

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Mahler posted:

Haven't bought a bottle of scotch in Ontario for 5 months and suddenly I'm rich?! A'bunadh is 95-100 bux here. I still have a third of a bottle of batch 47 lying around. Along with Glendronach 12 it's one of the good "affordable" sherried scotches available here.

I had the same thing happen to me about two weeks ago. Except I went the opposite flavour route and got a bottle of Talisker Storm. Holy poo poo was I not expecting its strength.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Are my friends and I getting more sophisticated if we start giving each other Dewars White on our birthdays instead of Philadelphia and Sobieski?

UWBW
Aug 3, 2013

Permanently banned from the Alamo

Missing Name posted:

Are my friends and I getting more sophisticated if we start giving each other Dewars White on our birthdays instead of Philadelphia and Sobieski?
As one of those friends with whom you are shitposting from the club with right now, give me ketel one. Or jameson.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Avenged posted:

Don't know how well regarded it is around here, but I always promised that if I saw a bottle of rip/pappy I'd buy it.

Went to a liquor store I haven't been to in a while to pick up beer, and out of the corner of my eye I saw a bottle of 10 year Rip Van Winkle in a glass display. I asked the salesman how much for the bottle, being super excited as I've never actually seen a bottle in person. The gentleman tells me "oh, it's not for sale. We just like to show it off."

I was pissed. Bourbon Blue-Balls.

Dude probably did you a favor.

Speaking of which, my friend showed up to my birthday with a 1/4 full bottle of Pappy 20 that he's apparently been nursing for 5 years. He bought it for $90 well before the present absurdity got underway. The now-empty bottle is allegedly worth more than that at present.

Im disappointed to report that I enjoyed the flavor a great deal, got some pleasant cherry and apple notes that I don't normally taste in bourbon.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Given the option between any of the BTAC or Old Rip - I'd take the BTAC bottle every time.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Missing Name posted:

Dewar's White might be my least favorite scotch ever. It's probably not fair, since I only ever had it on an airplane when goddamn Spirit Airlines decided my make my bourbon/7 with it after they supposedly ran out if Beam, but good lord that was awful and I haven't been able to drink the stuff ever since.

Do you guys view Dewar's as a decent whiskey? Should I give it a second (3rd) chance?

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Nthing the A'bunadh recommendations. I bought a bottle (batch 50) after reading about it here and don't regret it at all. And the bottle is so nice to look at, too!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Inspector 34 posted:

Dewar's White might be my least favorite scotch ever. It's probably not fair, since I only ever had it on an airplane when goddamn Spirit Airlines decided my make my bourbon/7 with it after they supposedly ran out if Beam, but good lord that was awful and I haven't been able to drink the stuff ever since.

Do you guys view Dewar's as a decent whiskey? Should I give it a second (3rd) chance?

Naw. Don't drink Dewars. My grandfather likes it but he doesn't have good taste in liquor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Drinking this but not sure what I think about it yet.

I would say it's overpriced at $25, but it's interesting.

Only registered members can see post attachments!