Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

juliuspringle posted:

Is there anything I should be prioritizing in Black Flag?
Metal. You'll need way more of that than you will wood & cloth when upgrading your ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Hannibal Smith posted:

Metal. You'll need way more of that than you will wood & cloth when upgrading your ship.

Yes, it is most definitely this. Also, from what I can tell, the best way to get metal is to actually let your "wanted" level to build up and take down the ships that come after you. When I played, I always just chose to lower my wanted level.

Finally, the little Kenway's fleet mini game is a good way to earn money when you aren't playing the game. You can play it through an app.

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007
Anything for This War of Mine? Thinking of diving in to it soon.

Longstreet
May 7, 2008
Anything for Dungeon Siege 2? The wiki has the first and third games, but not the second. I played it back when it was new, and I have nostalgia and want to give it another go without doing anything stupid. Which NPC's are useful/useless?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

juliuspringle posted:

Is there anything I should be prioritizing in Black Flag?
Just finished it this weekend, myself.

Repeating that metal is life, and that you should mainline the main story until you do the first diving bell mission.

Other notes:

The rope dart stays locked away for quite a while (75% of the story). It's cool looking but not nearly as essential as, say, getting the berserk darts or four pistols.

Berserk darts trivialize assassin contracts.

Hunting is fine but you can just buy literally any skins you need to do crafting. Use your fleet and the Jackdaw to stack paper instead.

The Mayan stelae are all fine and good, as is their reward, but the final one is locked out until you're about 85% through the main story.

In the meantime, keep an eye out for the outfit that unlocks when you get half the assassination contracts done. It improves your stealthiness and is fairly worthwhile, considering you should be 100%-ing the assassin/naval contracts anyway.

The companion app lets you work Kenway's fleet while on the go. After capturing about 6-10 ships, a day or two of working the app will give you lots of money to fully upgrade the Jackdaw.

Tips there include keeping a variety of ships as the schooner (in the high speed spot) is more than enough to take out a gunboat with no damage (and no lost currency to repair). Keep your shipping lanes safe, they go up a stage every hour or two. Brigs and frigates are more useful and the man-o-wars are only used for their high cargo cap for later-unlocked trading missions.

Fire barrels are basically useless. Mortar and heavy shot damage upgrades (as well as # of broadside cannons) are the most important. Swivel gun upgrades (particularly the elite one) are the next priority, as is hull armor.

The game is not super great at reminding you: aimed broadside shots have range, and are round shot. Don't use them, if you're far away use mortar instead. Unaimed broadside shots are heavy shot, lower range and much higher damage. The range is not always as low as you might think. Keep moving and maneuvering to always be heavy shotting, ideally behind other ships' rears.

Once the Jackdaw is upgraded to elites on everything shy of round shot damage and fire barrel storage, you're the king of the sea. The four corners of the map have special challenge fights but the individual rewards are only 20K reales each. All four gets you a ramming upgrade you'll probably never really use.

Kenny Logins fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Sep 13, 2016

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
In other news, I just started AC: Unity and apparently they took out the requirements for Initiates enrolment or using the companion app to unlock chests. They don't tell you this, either in-game or in the app or within Initiates, but it's good to know.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Kenny Logins posted:

Once the Jackdaw is upgraded to elites on everything shy of round shot damage and fire barrel storage, you're the king of the sea. The four corners of the map have special challenge fights but the individual rewards are only 20K reales each. All four gets you a ramming upgrade you'll probably never really use.

I agree with everything else above, but I'd like to offer a counterpoint to this: those 4 fights are great fun and are a nice challenge once you can take on everything else (including story missions) with impunity.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Gato posted:

I agree with everything else above, but I'd like to offer a counterpoint to this: those 4 fights are great fun and are a nice challenge once you can take on everything else (including story missions) with impunity.

Yeah, they're a good capstone to the naval battles.

I don't think the medium range broadsides are useless, especially against forts.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Gato posted:

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah, they're a good capstone to the naval battles.

I don't think the medium range broadsides are useless, especially against forts.
Fair enough. Between the four ship battles there's at least one any given player will probably enjoy a lot. Just don't do it for the rewards, is all.

For the record, the Templar Hunt missions, while rewarded with a lacklustre armour, are pretty fun missions too.

The ranged broadsides are helpful against forts, as cleanup. Mortars (and powerful swivels) are way more important to complete those successfully.

Importantly, though, ranged broadside (i.e. round shot) damage is far less important (for taking on forts, and otherwise) than number of cannons, which also benefits heavy shot. Heavy shot is pretty drat difficult to score hits against forts, admittedly.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Scientastic posted:

Anything for Mass Effect 3 that's not in the wiki? I've already got the extended cut DLC.

Talk to your squadmates on the ship after every mission including sidequests (combat mission sidequests, that is, not the fetch quests) as they'll have unique dialogue after nearly all of them, and the interactions with your squadmates are the highlight of the game's writing.

e: in terms of DLC, consensus opinion (on SA at least) seems to be:
From Ashes is highly recommended as it gives you a cool, well-written companion who rounds out the crew really nicely. It's day 1 DLC so they're very well integrated.

Leviathan has some neat missions and expands on some interesting elements of the lore, but it's not a must-buy.

Omega is somewhat meh unless you're a massive fan of Aria T'Loak.

Citadel is a fun, character-focused send-off to the cast of the trilogy. It's funny and genuinely touching and probably makes a better finale than the actual ending, Extended Cut or not.

Gato fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Sep 13, 2016

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gato posted:

Citadel is a fun, character-focused send-off to the cast of the trilogy. It's funny and genuinely touching and probably makes a better finale than the actual ending, Extended Cut or not.

Citadel is definitely best saved for after you've finished the game, as it's very obviously the writers deciding to have one last fun final adventure just because they could, and the tone of it is much more light-hearted than the rest of the story.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Witcher 3, particularly with regards to starting skills. Are there any must-haves like there were in Witcher 2?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Mordja posted:

Witcher 3, particularly with regards to starting skills. Are there any must-haves like there were in Witcher 2?

You can create some insane builds by focusing on green skills and upping your toxins resistance, allowing you to stack one or more very strong potions without much drawback.

Aside from that, it pays to have three of whatever you choose in the same slot. You get bonuses for matching colors with the large mutagen; if you put two blues and one green on a blue mutagen then you are only going to get the bonus for the two blues.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Mordja posted:

Acquired tolerance in green skills, that increases max toxicity for every recipe you know, so eventually lets you take triple amounts of potions that you'd be allowed without it.
Armor specific skill for the set you like, with 1 point you get as big of a bonus as 5 points get you in some other skills.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Just as a quick tip to anybody going into Ace Attorney: Spirit of Justice

After the first time you see the dance, you can skip it on all subsequent viewings, nothing changes :v:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Mordja posted:

Which (besides riposte) would you call must haves in Witcher 2? On the other hand, which would you call terrible?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Mordja posted:

The Gourmet skill is op as gently caress, which you may or may not like.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Sep 15, 2016

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Xander77 posted:

Which (besides riposte) would you call must haves in Witcher 2? On the other hand, which would you call terrible?

Riposte and the one that greatly decreases the damage you take when attacked from behind were vital, and I remember if you levelled Yrden up it could get ridiculous.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Technically it's been out for 3 years, and maybe something will carry over from the original, but anything on Dragon Quest 7 remake coming out tomorrow?

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Mordja posted:

Sign build is really powerful too, in addition to what everyone's saying about alchemy builds. Stacking Igni intensity means you can win every fight by setting everything on fire.

IMO the DLC skews the balance in favor of alchemy being a little stronger (for reasons you'll unlock when you get there). You can respec at any time, but you probably won't have the money for it at first.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Eldred posted:

Sign build is really powerful too,
Nah. Signs make for good utility, but they scale very poorly at higher levels. It won't be long before any attempt to win a fight via Igni turns into long drawn out nonsense.

Ah, for the days of TW1, in which you could play a fire-mage.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Xander77 posted:

Nah. Signs make for good utility, but they scale very poorly at higher levels. It won't be long before any attempt to win a fight via Igni turns into long drawn out nonsense.

I think you mis-spelled Aard there. I miss the days where every battle was
"Aard!"
*stabs everyone in the throat as they writhe on the ground*

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Xander77 posted:

For a while, I was so bad at Witcher 3 combat that, near the beginning, I had to glitch a boss enemy into a wall and spam Ingi for an hour. Any sort of buff on top of that would have probably shaved off half that. Ugh.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Xander77 posted:

Nah it's mid game where signs are a bit tedious. Early game you kill everything with igni, late game you kill everything with an aard upgrade you can get from the 2nd dlc.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

Xander77 posted:

Are you talking about NG+ levels? Even through the end of Blood & Wine burn damage meant I could just cast Igni once and watch entire groups of enemies die.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Eldred posted:

Are you talking about NG+ levels? Even through the end of Blood & Wine burn damage meant I could just cast Igni once and watch entire groups of enemies die.
Is that a thing that happens on easy or something? I invested in all the afterburn effects, and not a single bandit five levels below me would burn to death after a single cast.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

Xander77 posted:

Is that a thing that happens on easy or something? I invested in all the afterburn effects, and not a single bandit five levels below me would burn to death after a single cast.

Normal difficulty. Maybe not a single cast, but it makes everything flammable (which is everything but specters and elementals) wave their hands around until they die.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Zaodai posted:

That's grog-wargame logic. "Well it's not LITERALLY a pile of poo poo, so you have no right to talk bad about it". There are far superior games, includind two other Witcher games! that someone could purchase and play. Telling them to skip the lovely one is relevant advice.
I know this is from a few weeks back but I have played through the Witcher 2 tutorial like five separate times and I just cannot for the life of me get excited about the way the game plays compared to the first game. It is not like it is objectively superior in every way. Maybe the story and choices are way cooler or something, but if the game is too frustrating to play in the first place...so what?

(Seriously I have never found a game where I get owned in the tutorial over and over again such that I am not comfortable moving on to the game itself; usually tutorials are...you know...easy?)

Ramagamma posted:

The Witcher 1 is a janky, ugly, slow, padded, low quality crap fest, and that was in 2007.
ZOLTAN

CHIVAY

I loved Witcher so much I MARRIED IT

Zomborgon posted:

For a while, I was so bad at Witcher 3 combat that, near the beginning, I had to glitch a boss enemy into a wall and spam Ingi for an hour. Any sort of buff on top of that would have probably shaved off half that. Ugh.
I imagine I will be just as inept as well. I am good at, like, every CRPG's combat, why is Witcher 2 so hard (yes I realize it is action-based, but it is not like I mean only turn-based CRPGs)

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So what exactly are the tips on the Wiki refering to in the section for Yakuza 2, because uh..they don't make a whole lot of sense.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So what exactly are the tips on the Wiki refering to in the section for Yakuza 2, because uh..they don't make a whole lot of sense.

The first one is just about using weapons in general, once you use a weapon enough, you'll unlock the heat move for it. some of them are fuckin crazy.

the second one is for an unspecified boss, but could apply to basically any lategame boss in any yakuza game. i want to say the laser sword has the stun effect, and using that on a hard fight will make it trivial. I just beat yakuza 5 and i had to stop attacking a boss so that he could play his "i'm getting mad" cutscenes because i had him completely stunlocked.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Dr. Quarex posted:

I know this is from a few weeks back but I have played through the Witcher 2 tutorial like five separate times and I just cannot for the life of me get excited about the way the game plays compared to the first game. It is not like it is objectively superior in every way. Maybe the story and choices are way cooler or something, but if the game is too frustrating to play in the first place...so what?

(Seriously I have never found a game where I get owned in the tutorial over and over again such that I am not comfortable moving on to the game itself; usually tutorials are...you know...easy?)

The Witcher 2 is notorious for having a tutorial that is crazy hard. You don't have any skills but the game expects you to. Its weird. Once you get into the main game and start leveling up things become MUCH easier.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
As the 3DS remake is out today, anything for Dragon Quest VII?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

I know there's at least a few people in the thread who are catching up on the Assassin's Creed series along with me, so figured I'd post a few things for AC: Unity I've found in the first dozen hours or so on the PS4.

* In 2016 there is no need (or benefit) to participating in the Companion App or Initiates program. All rewards those things offered (i.e. Nomad and Initiate chests, full stop) as well as Companion missions are now unlocked by default.

* There are four (down from 5!) "currencies" to keep track of in this game. Livres are the most common, found in chests, looting dead bodies, mission rewards and through CT income (more on that later). You use them to buy consumable items (medicine, ammunition, etc) at shops but also to buy weapons/armor through your Customization interface. Creed points are like experience you get from actions (air assassinations, disappearing from alerts, head shots, etc.). These are used to buy one-time "upgrades" for each piece of gear. Certain gear gives you a % increase in Creed points earned so invest in those early on. Sync points are skill points earned via completing story missions but also via co-op missions. They're used to unlock abilities like being able to use a firearm (!) or double assassinations. Lastly, there are the premium "Hack" points which you can mainly buy through IAP. They can be used in lieu of Livres to buy weapons/gear, or in lieu of Creed points to one-time upgrade said gear. Don't buy Hack points.

* The fifth, Nomad points, are basically defunct as they were the Companion's currency. You can find some in-game but they are really of no use anymore.

* The game is very linear until you finish Sequence 2 (i.e. are initiated into the Assassins. Once you have that under your belt the game opens up considerably: you can more-or-less freely explore all of Paris, unlock all viewpoints, etc.

* When the game opens up, you have the option to progress along the track of the Café Theatre improvement side quest chain. Do so. It gives you a chest that refills every 20 minutes with Livres depending on your progress in that quest chain, and how many Livres you have "invested" in renovating the CT or else acquiring Social Clubs around Paris. It's similar to AC2, and there's a limit to how much the chest can hold (generally about an hour's worth of income). Doing all the CT quests and buying all Social Clubs gives you 10K+ Livres every 20 minutes, so get on that ASAP if you want to get your gear game on point, which you will need to. Combat's quite a bit harder than prior games, especially with crappy gear.

* Fully buying into the CT income takes at around ~75K livres IIRC, but there's a lot of small increments along the way for renos. The largest single renos are 3 x 10K, and a single 15K. Companion missions are usually a simple assassination contract, and are a fast way to get Livres, as are Nomad/Initiate chests. You'll want to be unlocking viewpoints to find your Social Clubs around Paris to renovate anyway. Higher difficulty zones have more expensive Social Clubs than lower difficulty zones.

* At first you will have basically no skills beyond single (air) assassination. Not all skills are terribly useful but fans of the franchise will see which to gun for right away. Certain skills (i.e. Lockpicking 2 and 3) are gated behind story progression.

* The level of lockpicking needed to bypass a chest or door can be seen in the lock symbol when you're up close to it (look for the number of small bars on the padlock) but before you get into the unlocking minigame.

* Your overall level rank is determined by your lowest piece of gear's rating, nothing else.

* For reference, generally, level 2 gear's about 250 Livres each, level 3 are ~1K each, level 4 are ~5K each, with level 5 gear needing ~$25K Livres each.

* For that reason, mission difficulty isn't always very indicative of how you'll do. For example, the level 5 CT quest is quite doable with a level 3 geared Arno, provided you have a firearm and are patient with your stealthing.

* Rifles are actually pretty solid melee weapons but are generally crap firearms compared to pistols. They're just really slow.

* When shopping for armor, the bars in each category (Melee/Ranged/Stealth/Health) don't really indicate much: you're going to want to focus more on the modifiers they map to. Just pick modifiers that seem useful to you.

* Co-op missions generally require you to at least search for other players online looking to try either that mission or else a co-op mission of that difficulty. If you don't find anyone, you'll be given the option to try it yourself. Newer characters can probably handle up to level 2 co-op quests solo, however tedious they might be. It's a good way to get some Skills out of the way and/or kill time waiting on your CT chest.

* Some co-op missions are Heists. These have a fixed payout that gets better if you are unseen. A new player can tag along with an experienced co-op buddy to get a guaranteed 25K payout on the highest difficulty tiers of these, if you can keep them and yourself alive. You'll eventually come upon Helix Rift missions through the storyline, which are much of the same thing, in terms of grindability. The main gates on these are Lockpicking levels required to get through them easily, but there's usually a longer/harder way for people who don't have sufficient skill.

* Mainlining the story will give you access to quality of life upgrades like the Phantom Blade (i.e. silent ranged assassination) and the Berserk Blade (similar to AC4's Berserk game-breaking darts). If you're beating your head against the wall, try forging ahead for those.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
The wiki only has four lines for King of Dragon Pass but I remember a lot more.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

limp_cheese posted:

The Witcher 2 is notorious for having a tutorial that is crazy hard. You don't have any skills but the game expects you to. Its weird. Once you get into the main game and start leveling up things become MUCH easier.
I have no idea how I never encountered this advice before but I love you for it. No longer do I feel like there is no hope in even playing the game! Now...to play the tutorial like a sixth time since it has once again been like a year since I did it!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

PJOmega posted:

The wiki only has four lines for King of Dragon Pass but I remember a lot more.

You only need 2

Role play your clan

Don't gently caress with the ducks

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Dr. Quarex posted:

I have no idea how I never encountered this advice before but I love you for it. No longer do I feel like there is no hope in even playing the game! Now...to play the tutorial like a sixth time since it has once again been like a year since I did it!

Take the tutorial with EXTRA caution. If you think you are being too cautious in combat you're not. Don't just run into combat. Do your best to draw away a guy or two without alerting the others.

The Lavalette fight can be done a few different ways including no combat.

gently caress the dragon. That fucker will kill you a few times on the bridge regardless.

The stealth section afterwards is also a pain in the rear end but it's pretty short.

Be sure to take a good look around the inn when you get to the first city. I missed the Blue Stripes headquarters my first playthrough and you do not want to miss that quest.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Is the stuff for the original Deus Ex off the wiki still correct? I have the GOTY edition from Steam. I don't like ever being locked out of anything when exploring so should I take the advice of "Focus on Computing, Electronics, Lockpicking and Pistol" from the wiki?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

owl_pellet posted:

Is the stuff for the original Deus Ex off the wiki still correct? I have the GOTY edition from Steam. I don't like ever being locked out of anything when exploring so should I take the advice of "Focus on Computing, Electronics, Lockpicking and Pistol" from the wiki?

Taking one level of Computers is vital, more is overkill. One level each of Electronics and Lockpick is handy, but not a priority.

If you intend to go all MURDER DEATH KILL, rifles are your best bet. If you want to be sneak sneak sneak KILL, go unarmed. To be 100% sneak, take a second level of computers (to alter the allegiance of turrets) and weapons don't matter much.

You can't backtrack to previous areas. Other that that you can't get locked out of exploring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

owl_pellet posted:

Most things that you would get locked out if you focus on one thing usually have a few ways to operate them, like a door that can be picked might have a hackable terminal, which might have the username/password hanging around, or the door can just be opened with the universal lockpick (the GEP gun)

putting skill points into lockpicking and electronics isn't needed if you're not using a rebalance mod, since there's a glitch where opening your inventory while you pick a lock will continue to work on it, so you can use 1 lockpick/multitool on every door that can be picked