Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I don't think I have ever found content on the internet, other then wikipedia and a few forums, that are at all worth paying for. Needs just to just publish newsletter and zines about trains and puck rock just for fun, when did the idea that one should be able to make a living from that stuff come about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toxicitysquared
Nov 12, 2007

:jiggled:
Jiggled Again
:jiggled:
gently caress ads, content creators can suck my balls

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
At least we don't have to worry about sponsored content here yet. I'm just going to kick back and enjoy a delicious Coke Zero (with all the flavor but none of the calories!) and continue browsing these fine forums, fellow goons.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Wintermutant posted:

At least we don't have to worry about sponsored content here yet. I'm just going to kick back and enjoy a delicious Coke Zero (with all the flavor but none of the calories!) and continue browsing these fine forums, fellow goons.

Now let's pause a moment from Gaming Garbage to talk about MeUndies! Ever feel like your underwear just doesn't fit right? Well MeUndies are here to...

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

build it beautiful

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I would shill for Coke Zero, it has always been there for me when I want a kalimotxo but don't want to get fat(er).

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe
Yeah if you're blocking me because I have ublock on then I don't want to see whatever it was I clicked on.

I briefly remember a time when certain sites would check your browser version and then pop up something like "you know you really should be using Firefox" but iirc these were mostly noncommercial sites with weird owners. Still, gently caress off.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Every so often I'll try to browse newspaper sites with uBlock off in a moment of goodwill but get punished immediately by full wraparound movies, usually about cars. Always cars :confused:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I switched to uBlock Origin a while ago because of this thread. AdBlock not only let some ads through even before they decided to start selling ads, but it makes your internet go slower because it takes up so much space on your browser.

red19fire posted:

Yeah, NJ is amazing because you have some of the richest suburbs in america, then you cross a street and you're in grinding third world poverty. Like Cherry Hill cops basically sit on the border with Camden and pull over every car that passes, like they're defending the homeland from marauders. I'm not even sure if Camden has a police department anymore. NJ was at one point, and probably still is, the political corruption capital of the country.
West Orange and Asbury Park are two examples of the rich/poor divide within the same town. And I think New York might be worse on corruption, and according to one unscientific poll it was ranked the worst. We can't even hang our hat on being better than them on that anymore.

I still like New Jersey, though. I'm just more of a city guy.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I kinda missed bank chat, but if you don't qualify for USAA, Ally bank has been my dope online bank of choice for many years.

No bullshit maintenance fees, they refund your ATM fee from any ATM, and the overdraft fee is only $9 and they only do it once per day. (But I never overdraft :smug:)

E: Apparently they've gotten a bit shittier, fee is now $25 (still max of one/day) and they only refund $10 in ATM fees per month. Still great, though.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Y-Hat posted:

I switched to uBlock Origin a while ago because of this thread. AdBlock not only let some ads through even before they decided to start selling ads, but it makes your internet go slower because it takes up so much space on your browser.

West Orange and Asbury Park are two examples of the rich/poor divide within the same town. And I think New York might be worse on corruption, and according to one unscientific poll it was ranked the worst. We can't even hang our hat on being better than them on that anymore.

I still like New Jersey, though. I'm just more of a city guy.

Lol thei unlock site says safari can't download this file.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

WampaLord posted:

I kinda missed bank chat, but if you don't qualify for USAA, Ally bank has been my dope online bank of choice for many years.

No bullshit maintenance fees, they refund your ATM fee from any ATM, and the overdraft fee is only $9 and they only do it once per day. (But I never overdraft :smug:)

E: Apparently they've gotten a bit shittier, fee is now $25 (still max of one/day) and they only refund $10 in ATM fees per month. Still great, though.

I'm surprised they're even that good since I'm pretty sure they only exist because GMAC Finance needed to be a bank in order to qualify for TARP. They literally could have been the worst bank ever and still gotten that sweet taxpayer money.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

WampaLord posted:

Go to a credit union and manage your money better is my advice.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

MechaFrogzilla posted:

Now let's pause a moment from Gaming Garbage to talk about MeUndies! Ever feel like your underwear just doesn't fit right? Well MeUndies are here to...

Let me tell you about SquareSpace!

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Ford moving all production of small cars from U.S. to Mexico

In a move that could draw fresh fire in the presidential race, Ford Motor (F) says it is shifting all North American small car production from U.S. to Mexico.

CEO Mark Fields also says the automaker is committing $4.5 billion to develop more than a dozen new electrified models by 2020.

"Over the next two to three years, we will have migrated all of our small car production to Mexico and out of the United States," Fields said.

The industry has known for decades that domestic manufacturers struggle to make a profit on small cars. Shifting their assembly to Mexico can reduce costs. But it also puts Ford and the industry back in the political crosshairs. Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump, in particular, has singled out Ford for moving jobs to Mexico.

Fiat Chrysler has also made similar moves, shifting car production out of the U.S. in order to focus on pickups and SUVs in its domestic automaking operations.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2016/09/14/ford-moving-all-production-small-cars-mexico/90354334/

Kind of funny how toyotas are more made in america than fords are soon to be.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Neurion posted:

Let me tell you about SquareSpace!

But can i have a limited edition freddie?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Whats the main reason to move to Mexico? Labor costs?

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

WampaLord posted:

Maybe their personal banking is decent, but I've never seen a bank allow as lovely lease/auto loan terms as Ally. They allow some of the most predatory loans I've ever seen. We're talking massive buy-out terms (like if you want to sell your car to a different car company dealership, congratulations! Now you have to pay an extra $2500, which will almost certainly kill your chance at buying a car.) I've also seen people in their 80s smashed into 5 year LEASES at $500/month on base model Camrys, AFTER trading a car in where they had owned outright. (This equates to about a $15k total rip-off).

gently caress Ally, that poo poo is inexcusable.

Tumble has a new favorite as of 22:54 on Sep 14, 2016

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Lime Tonics posted:

Ford moving all production of small cars from U.S. to Mexico

In a move that could draw fresh fire in the presidential race, Ford Motor (F) says it is shifting all North American small car production from U.S. to Mexico.

CEO Mark Fields also says the automaker is committing $4.5 billion to develop more than a dozen new electrified models by 2020.

"Over the next two to three years, we will have migrated all of our small car production to Mexico and out of the United States," Fields said.

The industry has known for decades that domestic manufacturers struggle to make a profit on small cars. Shifting their assembly to Mexico can reduce costs. But it also puts Ford and the industry back in the political crosshairs. Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump, in particular, has singled out Ford for moving jobs to Mexico.

Fiat Chrysler has also made similar moves, shifting car production out of the U.S. in order to focus on pickups and SUVs in its domestic automaking operations.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2016/09/14/ford-moving-all-production-small-cars-mexico/90354334/

Kind of funny how toyotas are more made in america than fords are soon to be.

The lines on mechanical items and poo poo is so blurred anymore.

I used to work at a roller bearing company and we would receive huge pallets of chinese steel cut bearings, assemble them and mark them "MADE IN USA" then ship most of them to Mexico to be used in "American" made cars since they were "MADE IN USA" despite being the literal cheapest possible steel bearings in existence that were then sent out of the country for installation.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Jastiger posted:

Labor costs, and I'm sure the Mexican government doesn't give care how much garbage the plant pushes into the environment.

People who blame the UAW for the slow demise of the US auto industry say that labor here simply isn't viable at $35 an hour, but it isn't viable at $7.25 an hour either.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Jastiger posted:

Bribes are way cheaper than taxes

SatansChoice
Sep 14, 2016

by Smythe

Booblord Zagats posted:

Bribes are way cheaper than taxes

I'd bribe you any day :)

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

People who say that the UAW is such a cancer on the American auto industry weren't paying attention when a foreign carmaker, a German one I think, actively encouraged its workforce to unionize in their Tennessee plant. The state would have taken action against them if they succeeded because Republicans run on spite instead of any of their self-professed ideals (which includes non-interference in the private sector), but the idiots voted against it anyway.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
The whole union bashing thing is stupid anyway because "accepting a lower salary to save the business" is a loving pointless argument when children in China will make the poo poo for pennies an hour. Pretty soon people will be upset when American workers refuse to work for free.

The there's also the :smug: my job doesn't give pensions why should yours :smug: argument.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

how come car prices didn't drop after they moved all the factories to places where they paid pennies on the dollar compared to american workers and didn't pay pensions and poo poo.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
race to the bottom :911:

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Groovelord Neato posted:

how come car prices didn't drop after they moved all the factories to places where they paid pennies on the dollar compared to american workers and didn't pay pensions and poo poo.

Gotta pay for nanny state bullshit like 'crash tests'

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

Much like the ideology behind the post-Reagan Republican Party, neoliberalism is a bunch of lies covering up the fact that it ultimately wants medieval levels of economic inequality and taxation.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Citizen Tayne posted:

Labor costs, and I'm sure the Mexican government doesn't give care how much garbage the plant pushes into the environment.

People who blame the UAW for the slow demise of the US auto industry say that labor here simply isn't viable at $35 an hour, but it isn't viable at $7.25 an hour either.

Ross Perot was right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rkgx1C_S6ls

uli2000
Feb 23, 2015

Groovelord Neato posted:

Shareholders.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Clinton is piqued at giant sucking sound.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Groovelord Neato posted:

U.S. automakers don't make money off small cars so there's no room to discount even with cheaper labor. Small cars are mostly sold to boost CAFE numbers so they can keep selling high margin SUV's and trucks.

It's probably changing since the oil shocks. Ford in particular has been moving away from SUV's and towards smaller cars. But they still make their money off larger vehicles.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Krispy Kareem posted:

U.S. automakers don't make money off small cars so there's no room to discount even with cheaper labor. Small cars are mostly sold to boost CAFE numbers so they can keep selling high margin SUV's and trucks.

It's probably changing since the oil shocks. Ford in particular has been moving away from SUV's and towards smaller cars. But they still make their money off larger vehicles.

Is ford doing ok? I was pretty shocked when I found out they'd discontinued Econolines in 2015.

personable decorum
Sep 7, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Fly is cool

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Is ford doing ok? I was pretty shocked when I found out they'd discontinued Econolines in 2015.

Ford is easily the healthiest of the Big 3

uncleTomOfFinland
May 25, 2008

Ford is the only big American automaker that has any real traction in Europe. Theyre reasonably priced and judging by mandatory car inspection statistics also fairly reliable.

EDIT: 2 of top 10 most sold cars in Europe are Fords, the most sold non-Ford is Jeep Renegade at rank 71 behind such mighty brands as Lada. :laffo:

uncleTomOfFinland has a new favorite as of 06:19 on Sep 15, 2016

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Welp. He was (and so were/are liberal econonists who saw this a mile away)

What is CAFE in the context of the post above?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

uncleTomOfFinland posted:

Ford is the only big American automaker that has any real traction in Europe. Theyre reasonably priced and judging by mandatory car inspection statistics also fairly reliable.

EDIT: 2 of top 10 most sold cars in Europe are Fords, the most sold non-Ford is Jeep Renegade at rank 71 behind such mighty brands as Lada. :laffo:

The fact that anyone at all, in Europe or elsewhere, would buy any product from noted Worst Car Company In History, Chrysler, is astounding. I don't know how or why that shitterrible company was seen as worth buying by Fiat. It's as dumb as Nissan buying Mitsubishi (aka the Japanese Chrysler) earlier this year.

In fact none of the big 3 American car companies deserved to survive putting out the horrible dogshit vehicles they puked onto the market throughout the entirety of the 80's and 90's. If it wasn't for dumb blind patriotism, none of them would have survived, and even with that two of them very nearly didn't.

DEEP STATE PLOT has a new favorite as of 06:39 on Sep 15, 2016

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Krispy Kareem posted:

Why is there a larger margin on bigger vehicles anyway? I have been looking at SUVs and minivans (lol) and the drat price doubles compared to a sedan. I am sure they are more expensive to make but not TWICE as expensive. Is it because less people buy them so they have to inflate the price for that reason?

You can get 2 brand new Toyota Yaris' for the price of 1 of Toyota's cheapest minivan or SUV. Why not just increase the prices on the smaller cars a bit and lower the price on the bigger cars a bit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
this thread makes a giant sucking sound.

how do furniture and mattress stores still exist when they seem like they're literally always having a going out of business sale?