Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Stan Taylor posted:

If you had asked me like a week ago if I wanted a new Blair Witch movie I'd have laughed in your face, but put Wingard behind it and It's my most anticipated movie of the year. I'm still kind of hoping they dropped the found footage aspect, but I know they didn't because it's loving Blair Witch. Either way, I've been waiting for this since The Guest came out.

It's my most anticipated movie as well. You're Next is really, really good, but, goddamn, The Guest might be one of my absolute favorite movies. I do kind of wish it was still just The Woods though. I can't help but really like Wingard's simple titles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

XIII posted:

It's my most anticipated movie as well. You're Next is really, really good, but, goddamn, The Guest might be one of my absolute favorite movies. I do kind of wish it was still just The Woods though. I can't help but really like Wingard's simple titles.

Too bad he couldn't have just called it "The Witch" :v:

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I can't think of anything good, help me make a thread title so people can know this is the thread for Blair Witch

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Blair Witch: Third Time's the Charm?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

GonSmithe posted:

I can't think of anything good, help me make a thread title so people can know this is the thread for Blair Witch

Blair Witch

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

GonSmithe posted:

How about just replacing the words "The Woods" with "Blair Witch" in the current title so that people who are fans of Adam Wingard still know he is involved.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Blair Witch: Don't go into The Woods

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Which Witch Witches Wingard's Woods? Blair Witch!

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

I'm sorry if I'm spoiling everybody's good time.

Adam Wingard's Bait and Witch

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

The Blair Woods Project

Uatu The Lurker
Sep 14, 2003

I can say no more!
Already I have over stayed my time in this ephemeral sphere!
The Blair VVitch

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Anisocoria Feldman posted:

Adam Wingard's Bait and Witch

Wingard's Bait and (Blair) Witch

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Adam Wingard Witches you a Blairy Happy Fall

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I feel like a movie-specific thread should unambiguously have the movie title at the beginning of the thread title from a basic usability perspective.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Thanks for the thread title change. Clearly the best suggested one other than just sticking with mine.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
This is out now right? Imdb says its meh. What does anyone think?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I'm going to see it this Saturday. I perused the RT reviews so far and most people who did not like it said that the biggest problem is that it's too much like the original, which is funny since all the glowing reviews we saw early on spoke about reinventing the horror genre and stuff.

But still, I'm excited because I like found footage movies and if the movie is "The Blair Witch Project but with more scares" then that's fine with me.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Seeing this after work tonight. I'm psyched because Blair Witch Project is my second favourite horror ever, behind The Exorcist. I really hope it doesn't suck.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Some people in the horror thread have seen it. They said it's good fun, but nothing amazing, and definitely not revolutionary or better than the original. That would be pretty decent in most cases, but in this circumstance I feel pretty disappointed, because I had high hopes/expectations for Wingard.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Ehud posted:

all the glowing reviews we saw early on spoke about reinventing the horror genre and stuff.

When a review for a horror movie talks about "reinventing the genre" or claims "a fresh new take on [x]", 99.9% of the time it just means the reviewer is lazy/inept.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Oh good, I forgot about this thread. It's an okay movie. I think at the end of the day, the thing that keeps it from not holding up as great in my eyes is it not feeling authentic. Wingard talked about it in the live Q&A that he wanted a balance between cinematic and found footage and that it would be something new, but I think he hasn't seen the worst this genre has to offer because that's exactly what they all do. They shoot with film quality cameras, they light the shots as they would a regular film, they often frame the shots like regular films. The only difference between a modern found footage film and a hand held shot movie is the FF is just a lil bit shakier.

What makes TBWP work so well, even to this day, is how real it looks. You could imagine this being a real tape. It's not that hard. You never get the sense that filmmakers made this. And that's why it works. While I think a lot of the new Blair Witch works, the overall aesthetic kinda dulls it down a bit. I mean I know they're not using RED cameras and stuff, and this day and age, people shooting birthday parties will add a cinematic flair, but it still takes you out. I wish they would've shot the whole film using the DV camera.

Since I'm on the subject of the stuff I didn't like, I'm adding that loving drone to the list. That drone could've been used to do pretty cool things, but it just didn't. It just fell in a tree and set up a jump scare. I was real disappointed at that.

I liked the characters for the most part. They were fairly likable. But outside of Peter and Lane, they never felt all that strong. Like who was the main character? As a person? I dunno. He misses his sister I guess. The main girl kinda likes the main character. Not so great.

But the end though! From the twig snapping scene to the end credits it's a blast! Especially the quick shot of.....something. Whatever it was. Creeped me the gently caress out.

It's a decent flick. Maybe worth checking at a matinee or when you're bored one night and one a fun horror flick to check out. Really great sound design. But it's nothing I'd go out of your way to see.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Well that's a bummer. Going to check it out tomorrow night still but I was hoping for some kind of spin on it like You're Next had. I guess once it's a legit licensed Blair Witch movie you only have so much wiggle room.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I mean, the only way this could've been as unique as the original is if they got a bunch of random kids, shoved them into the woods and started loving with them without their knowledge. Pretty much the same thing they did in the original except no notes and no direction. Just 3 days of terrorizing people.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Just saw this at the cinema and overall really liked it. Not as great as the original, but a lot of fun with an interesting cast. A bit heavy on really dumb jump scares, but there's a nice bit where a character openly calls out how stupid the unearned scares are, and they stop... Then poo poo gets real crazy. Like the intensity of the original film's ending amped up full.

Great use of time and space fuckery like the original (and the sequel) and a bit of expanding on the mythology which was nice.

Criminally underused drone camera though. So much cool stuff could've been done and they do nothing with it.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

I mean, the only way this could've been as unique as the original is if they got a bunch of random kids, shoved them into the woods and started loving with them without their knowledge. Pretty much the same thing they did in the original except no notes and no direction. Just 3 days of terrorizing people.

There was a movie my friend saw at a film fest where it was all told from the point of view of these kids who were harassing/hunting/killing this other group of people, and most of the movie had no dialogue as the killers communicated via texting as they stalked their victims. I wish I could remember the name of it.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Gonna see this in an hour. Dont have a lot of expectations even though I love the first movie ill be satisfied as long as its a fun ride ill be good. Im also gonna be drunk which will help

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

ruddiger posted:

There was a movie my friend saw at a film fest where it was all told from the point of view of these kids who were harassing/hunting/killing this other group of people, and most of the movie had no dialogue as the killers communicated via texting as they stalked their victims. I wish I could remember the name of it.

That sounds cool as hell. Gonna try and find that if i can

Soylent Green
Oct 29, 2004
It's people
I really didn't enjoy it, which is especially disappointing after You're Next and The Guest both being great. It felt like a remake of the original but there is unambiguously a witch this time; all arms and legs stretched from her execution which misses the whole point. The Blair Witch Project was scary because being lost in the woods is scary. As soon as Pete sees the witch you know exactly where it's going to go and all the tension drains out. I will give it credit for the twig/back break but about 30 seconds after that it throws it all away again.

For what it's worth I'm one of those folks that loves The Curse of the Blair Witch. There's a decent chance what some people want out of a Blair Witch film differs from what I do.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Saw it. Liked it.

Confirming what others have said in that the very first hour is largely a retread with a few changes here and there. Last 30 minutes are definitely the best part of only because the movie decides to go 90mph from that point on.

Something that was spot on though was the sound design god drat. Theres a part of the movie where it sounds like the forest itself is slowly closing around the cast. Great stuff.

Russian Guyovitch
Apr 22, 2008

Some little mice sat in the barn to spin. Pussy came by and popped her head in. What are you doing my little men?

ruddiger posted:

That sounds like Preservation. It's streaming on US Netflix right now. It's not told completely from the killers' p.o.v., though. It's primarily follows the victims until the reveal of the killers' identities.

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

Soylent Green posted:

For what it's worth I'm one of those folks that loves The Curse of the Blair Witch. There's a decent chance what some people want out of a Blair Witch film differs from what I do.

If you're into the whole "mythology" horror angle, you should check out Noroi. It's a Japanese mockumentary that does some cool stuff along those lines. The Wailing is another recent film that kind of did something similar.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
Film is legit good but it definitely is just a modern found footage film. Also a member of the audience correctly yelled out Slender Man, upon seeing the Blair Witch. I like monsters but come on

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I loved it. Very spooky and I loved the characters, the added lore and just in general it being a crazy roller coaster ride once it gets rolling.

Honestly I don't mind if it was like the original or wasn't completely original. Very fun movie, very stressful too!

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Why is this movie happening? I liked the original, it was pretty good, not THE BEST HORROR MOVIE EVER, but solidly good. Is this just studio greed/sequelitis going on? If the movie's not doing something new or unique then what's the point of using the Blair Witch title and setting?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This movie already happened. And it's just a love letter to the original by two filmmakers who are fans.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
The movie really grew on me after watching it, with me not really sure how to feel about how so much stuff is lifted from the originals at the end. The more I think about it, the more I accept that.

I think what made the movie work for me was the temporal chicanery. The fact that the hoaxers had to deal with five days of darkness, and the Male Hoaxer dealt with seemingly a lot longer was powerful as poo poo.

The movie couldn't do a "was there really a ghost" thing, because while the first movie kinda hints that there's not, the movie is called The Blair Witch Project, there's a loving ghost. The random appearance of Crazed Male Hoaxer really works to provide a different, equally good reframing of things we've previously saw: he probably killed the black girl and dragged the body away.

If I had to list some criticisms, one of them would have to be the black lady's character. They begin to hint that there's something in that wound, and begin to go with the notion that she's going insane, but then in the end she's just another person who dies. Felt like a wasted opportunity.

Oh, and the minute it started raining, I knew that the video from the beginning was going to be the Final Girl. I wasn't thinking about it before, but once that happened, I knew it.

Half criticism, half question: How did Girl Hoaxer die? One minute there's a bit of an argument going on, the next minute she's on the ground bleeding. Did the black lady hurt her, and I just missed it?

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Sep 16, 2016

Soylent Green
Oct 29, 2004
It's people

MisterBibs posted:

Half criticism, half question: How did Girl Hoaxer die? One minute there's a bit of an argument going on, the next minute she's on the ground bleeding. Did the black lady hurt her, and I just missed it?

Talia had just found a stick figure held together by her hair rather than twine, Ashley snatches it off her and snaps it in half. This also breaks Talia's back!
That bit I did really like but it seems like it's easy for people to miss what's happening; I had a few friends confused there too.

Soylent Green fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Sep 16, 2016

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

I seriously loved this. Starts out kinda clumsy and awkward, but the final act is one of the most harrowing things I've seen in modern horror.
Adam Wingard and Simon Barrett loving rule at making endings.

Never actually saw the original, so I kinda came into this with more of a "Hey, a new Adam Wingard movie!" mindset.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Just back in from seeing it and while i did like it overall, i can't help but feel that the moment they literally showed [supernatural goings on] it drained the tension out of the film.

Part of the charm of found footage films are their ability to suspend disbelief. While you don't often get that (and the original Blair Witch is one of the few that actually nails it) the moment you show something that's clearly hosed up, is the moment that you just destroy the engagement you have with the premise.

As such, from the moment the backbreaking happens, everything after just feels like we slip right into horror movie territory with a bunch of actors running around a spooky set being chased by a CGI monster they're just not showing all that often.

The ending also felt like it was trying too hard to one up itself and ultimately, led to the very rational characters acting 100% irrationally.

Instead, i'd have preferred it if they retained the theme of not showing a single inexplicably supernatural thing, but instead, built up more unease and tension with extensive time/perception fuckery. They even had the perfect vehicle to do this with by having multiple cameras.

Imagine if, instead of them ending up back together again in the house (with all the creepy jump scare closing door poo poo), they stay split up but escape it through rational 'gently caress this noise' attitudes. Then we see the perspective of one of them stumbling through the woods looking for the other person only to come across the cars from the beginning (we should be getting 'things ain't right' vibes here). He/she breaks into one of them and with the same 'gently caress this noise' attitude drives off to get help.

Then we cut to the second person stumbling through the woods. They too start coming across the familiar car park, but now we expect them to be hosed because their car is gone. Except when the second person gets there both cars are still present. They then get thunked on the head and the film ends leaving us with a feeling something messed up just happened whilst giving a plausible reason for the 'found footage'.

Kin fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Sep 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Kin posted:

Just back in from seeing it and while i did like it overall, i can't help but feel that the moment they literally showed [supernatural goings on] it drained the tension out of the film.

Part of the charm of found footage films are their ability to suspend disbelief. While you don't often get that (and the original Blair Witch is one of the few that actually nails it) the moment you show something that's clearly hosed up, is the moment that you just destroy the engagement you have with the premise.

I don't get that premise. Regardless of how ambiguous films like this try to paint their goings-on. unless the movie actively and blatantly provides another explanation for the events, the movie about a supernatural thing is going to have the supernatural thing being true and real.

Take the first film. Three kids go into the woods and get lost. Okay, that's realistic (people just can't walk in straight lines after all) but the minute piles of rocks are cropping outside of their camp (that nobody knows about), their tent gets fluffed up with the sounds of giggling kids, they walk into a house that literally is not supposed to exist, the whole ambiguity goes out the window. Not to mention the whole "we found pieces of our friend and now we're hearing him in random places begging for help" thing, or tie-in stuff explains that the footage for the film was found surrounded by dirt that has been unmolested for so long that there's a layer of ash from when they burned down Rustin Par's house fifty years previously*.

In the first film, Healther undercuts the notion that there's a mundane explanation for all of this - "Nobody knows we're out here, though." The second movie ramps up faster because it's hinted that the Blair Witch targets people who know too much about her and what she's done. The trip is sponsored on someone who was related to Healther, Hoax Duo gets hit the hardest, and the first dude to be murdered was a guy who tromped in her forest after the events of the first film.

* I know, outside footage, but what made BWP so memorable was how far they pushed the 'this was real' angle.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Sep 17, 2016

• Locked thread