Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eljackass
May 19, 2004

Caution is a word that I can't understand

YES thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eljackass
May 19, 2004

YES thank you!

EDIT: This so far reminds me, how I often have to explain to people who are new to pro wrestling that "they're not really trying to kill each other!" If they were all really trying to seriously injure each other, everyone would be dead or seriously injured within the first few minutes and then there'd be no one left to wrestle.

It's not fake, it's real entertainment! NO they're not gonna shoot each other or use those grenades and bombs. I had to explain this to a friend of mine just now :xd:

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Jesus Christ, Striker.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Nothing like referencing Hitler

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

eljackass posted:

It's not fake, it's real entertainment! NO they're not gonna shoot each other or use those grenades and bombs. I had to explain this to a friend of mine just now :xd:

Dario actually did kill a man and he got arrested for it. Just because it's allowed in a wrestling context doesn't make it legal!

eljackass
May 19, 2004

Great White Hope posted:

Dario actually did kill a man and he got arrested for it. Just because it's allowed in a wrestling context doesn't make it legal!

Well you got a point there

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

These loving bumps

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Charles Gnarwin posted:

These loving bumps

I'm doing a lot of yelling "aw faaaack" over here

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Oh dear, that driver on the ladder was a thing.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
ahaahh he just loving threw him out of the ring

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Matt Striker's overly strained war metaphors make me want to set my creative writing degree on fire and forget the English language.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
that reaction shot of Vampiro was the best

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Writer Cath posted:

make me want to set my creative writing degree on fire

I mean

I though those things were made for that.

This is a good hardcore match.

eljackass
May 19, 2004

Reminds me of last year's Iron Man match -- some of those bumps were so gnarly looking, "you realize that there's another human being on the other side of that ladder, right??"

A lot of this match has been pure OUCH, and Marty's head cut is the least of it!

:rock:

eljackass
May 19, 2004

HOLY poo poo

Hahaha that was awesome

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

It took loving forever to get there but that finishing spot was rad.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
That was a bump.

That sure was a fuckin' bump.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Dias posted:

That was a bump.

That sure was a fuckin' bump.

goddamn

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Sports Argument Stadium > Rowdy Ringsports > Lucha Underground Season Three: That's the Nutsack, Bro

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
oh poo poo the other half of the amulet

all sort of new stories happening here

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Erebus posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Sports Argument Stadium > Rowdy Ringsports > Lucha Underground Season Three: That's the Nutsack, Bro

It's

the

nutsack

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Melissa being terrified of Marty the Moth is one of my favorite stories these guys have going.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

That wasn't as :psyduck: as No Mas, but drat that was good. Between the ladder suplex and the final spot I was screaming.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
https://twitter.com/luchablog/status/776266124136636417

https://twitter.com/luchablog/status/776266986045120513

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
What's with the circa 2002 nu metal band they've had kicking off the show lately? I'm half expecting them to start playing P.O.D. covers.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Matt Striker was insufferable this week.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

ICHIBAHN posted:

Matt Striker was insufferable this week.

The thing about Striker is that he's never really annoyed me too much whenever I've heard him on any show, but this week with the "beep beep beep" and all the army, war, and battle references and puns did grate on me quite a lot.

That said, the main event was really good and the stories being set up were also intriguing to me. Joey Ryan, you no good son of a bitch!

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I legit want to put Matt Striker and Mauro Ranallo on a commentary team together and not tell either of them that they're in a competition with each other to see who can stretch a wedged-in reference further.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
The thing is, Mauro can stretch it out over the course of a match, whereas Striker will bludgeon a reference into every sentence, whether it makes sense or not.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Mauro keeps such an insane pace that the reference doesn't have time to make you face palm before he's back to calling every single move with enthusiasm. Also, I much prefer the "try-hard dad" tone of Mauro's stuff to the "I'm a smart guy because I skim Breitbart articles" vibe of Striker's references.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
At least Mauro doesn't feel the need to let the audience know how turned on he is whenever a female character does anything

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Grozz Nuy posted:

At least Mauro doesn't feel the need to let the audience know how turned on he is whenever a female character does anything

I've noticed this more from Vampiro than Striker. Although with Vamp, it's hard to tell if it's the women or the violence that does it for him. Probably both.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I think the violence is what does it, women just heighten the experience.

I did notice they didn't get weird until the very end of the women's match in the first episode this season. Maybe someone told them to calm it down?

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Grozz Nuy posted:

Maybe not any more, but I still have the "25 centimeter pole" line seared into my brain

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I gotta say that I have a love/hate relationship with Striker, but tonight was all love. This match was totally over the top ridiculous and Striker's war puns and one liners were loving perfect. This was the first time I watched an episode with my friend who likes it and we were laughing our asses off.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

PaybackJack posted:

I gotta say that I have a love/hate relationship with Striker, but tonight was all love. This match was totally over the top ridiculous and Striker's war puns and one liners were loving perfect. This was the first time I watched an episode with my friend who likes it and we were laughing our asses off.

Be honest: how baked were you guys

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Jenkem Delivery posted:

Be honest: how baked were you guys

Well we had been drinking for a few hours but I legitimately enjoy Striker in these types of situations.

DeNomolos
Jan 10, 2013

mild mannered meatspin historian
i feel like this would all make sense if we got two minutes of a backstage vignette where striker is begging to set the ring up in dumb army props just so that he has something to make easier puns and references.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Mauro keeps such an insane pace that the reference doesn't have time to make you face palm before he's back to calling every single move with enthusiasm. Also, I much prefer the "try-hard dad" tone of Mauro's stuff to the "I'm a smart guy because I skim Breitbart articles" vibe of Striker's references.
Striker's are about getting ALL of his poo poo in, while Ranallo's are about how far he can reach. Striker will talk about how a character is like The Beyonder or an anime, or probably both at the same time. Ranallo will talk about how one wrestler suplexing another is totally like the problems Apple users are having with the new iPhone and what 2Chainz tweeted about it recently. Don't get me wrong, I love that Ranallo knows his stuff and actually calls moves accurately. It's just gotten more noticeable the more I listen to him.

StarkRavingMad posted:

I've noticed this more from Vampiro than Striker. Although with Vamp, it's hard to tell if it's the women or the violence that does it for him. Probably both.
I don't think Vampiro has much of a filter. I had to laugh when Striker said some kind of euphemism for testicles and then Vampiro just goes "Nah that's the NUTSACK, bro."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007

sticklefifer posted:

I don't think Vampiro has much of a filter. I had to laugh when Striker said some kind of euphemism for testicles and then Vampiro just goes "Nah that's the NUTSACK, bro."

After two seasons of "Lower abdomen... upper thigh," this was the perfect payoff.

• Locked thread