Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Horrible Taste posted:

Funimation posted a trailer for the US release:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgyq6YKeIms

Why the heck is there a shot of a bunch of gate valves at 0:50?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The imdb/com release dates page now has

Oh dammit where where :supaburn:

Edit: Village Cinemas have it listed for Oct 13
http://villagecinemas.com.au/movies/godzilla-shin-godzilla
:neckbeard:

There's a touring Japanese Film Festival in October so I wonder if it'll be a part of that?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It's so drat great to finally see Godzilla 1984 in its uncut glory. I've never seen it before and it's really good!

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

Jimbot posted:

It's so drat great to finally see Godzilla 1984 in its uncut glory. I've never seen it before and it's really good!

My bluray came today. It's a great film that got loving butchered.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I just really hate the look of Godzilla in that one compared to the other Heisei movies but I should give the original japanese version a shot. The sea lice freaked me out good as a kid.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Outside of Shin Godzilla, is every Godzilla movie available in the US? I'm pretty sure I have ever every available release, except Tristar.

Dylazodelan
Nov 9, 2009
Some of them (Son of Godzilla, Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla) were available but are now out of print, and no company's snapped up rights so they're second-hand only now.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Seeing it on Wed Oct 12. P pumped. Also got my 84 blu ray which is great. Still may be my favorite Godzilla film.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I think Son and vs Mechagodzilla are the only two that haven't been reissued, and most of those Sony releases ended up as Kraken titles so there's a chance.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
The number one thing you gotta worry about with US releases is dub-titles

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

They can be a pain in the dick, but sometimes you wait 40 years for a foreign movie to come out, you take what you can get.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I completely forgotten that the second greatest scene in Godzilla history (the first being the entire cyborg chase sequence in Godzilla vs King Ghidorah) was in Godzilla 1984: that homeless guy running away from a greenscreen'd Godzilla. It's so loving bad that it wraps around to being absolutely amazing.

That character came out of nowhere in that movie and ended up with the best scene. I had to pause the movie because I was laughing so hard when it happened.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Greatest Godzilla sequence is the first ten minutes of 2002. Also, please dig trailer of same:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cotXakan9ng

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I just really hate the look of Godzilla in that one compared to the other Heisei movies

Don't feel bad about this, he looks loving terrible somehow. What really blew my mind was finding out that BioGoji was largely the same suit from the shoulders down, and once you see it you can't ever unsee it.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Sep 15, 2016

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
I always liked the '84 suit - it's got the brutish vibes of the Kingu-Goji design.

My fave is GMK Goji

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Just so happened that while I was summering in Tokyo in 1994 one of the local retail hellmouths held an official Godzilla retrospective thing, and among other delights as one walked through this space there was the actual, goddamn near 20-foot-tall Cybot used in G84,. It was working great and, to say the very goddamn least, impressive.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
Has the Godzilla hotel been brought up yet?

Heres an article on it:

http://metro.co.uk/2015/04/29/roarsome-the-godzilla-hotel-in-japan-has-finally-opened-its-doors-5172282/

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
couple years old but drat, I would live in that room.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

The thing that really gets me about the 84 movie (having just watched that Blu Ray last night) is the switch between the suit and this upper torso head animatronic model for a lot of the roars and close ups that looks really stilted in action comparison to the rest of the full body action sequences. I've always had a soft spot for it as a suit. My only complaint is sometimes he ends up with puppy dog eyes in some of the wide open shots or close ups on his face. Also the breathing holes in the neck blu ray made that way more obvious than it ever was in earlier lower def releases.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Those aren't breathing holes, they're exaust ports for Godzilla's atomic breath.

Dylazodelan
Nov 9, 2009

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Also the breathing holes in the neck blu ray made that way more obvious than it ever was in earlier lower def releases.

That's been an unfortunate issue in all of the new Blu-Rays; I'm especially seeing a lot more wires holding up wings and such than I used to with the old DVDs or VHS.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
That sounds awesome, though.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
How does the mirror skyscraper effect hold up?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

K. Waste posted:

That sounds awesome, though.

Not if you like movies to look good

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Improbable Lobster posted:

Not if you like movies to look good

It's the same principle as when a Universal Studios ride breaks down while you're on it, the lights go up, and you see the apparatus - that poo poo is often more technically marvelous than the threadbare attempts to disguise it

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

K. Waste posted:

It's the same principle as when a Universal Studios ride breaks down while you're on it, the lights go up, and you see the apparatus - that poo poo is often more technically marvelous than the threadbare attempts to disguise it

I don't watch movies in the hopes of seeing how they were made. That's what documentaries are for.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Gojira 1984 ain't the best, but it's really good specifically because Godzilla is presented as a demonic statue, like Pazuzu in The Exorcist. He's almost invariably filmed head-on, usually motionless. Emphasis is always on the glassy cartoon eyes. The point is specifically that the character is 'unrealistic' - that no rubber costume can fully capture the divinity of the creature.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Improbable Lobster posted:

I don't watch movies in the hopes of seeing how they were made. That's what documentaries are for.

I can see we're never gonna see eye-to-eye on this, but you still ain't hearin' me out. You being able to "see the strings" in 1080p is the inglorious fulfillment of chuckleheads since time immemorial falsely claiming that they could "see the strings" on their pan-and-scanned, washed out VHS tapes and cable television monitors.

It would be one thing if you told me, "The film grain and color balance isn't being accurately reproduced," because that's a genuine issue of bad transfer. But being able to see the strings guiding Rodan or the flamethrower in Gamera's mouth actually adds to the mystifying power of the spectacle for me. It's particularly satisfying knowing that I'm actually finally keying in on something that as a kid I could never see, but all the kids who picked on me claimed they could see just to spite what I liked. It would be like finding out a midget really did commit suicide in the background of The Wizard of Oz.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Don't let a few bad apples spoil the whole string spotting community. Most of us are pretty ethical.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Dylazodelan posted:

That's been an unfortunate issue in all of the new Blu-Rays; I'm especially seeing a lot more wires holding up wings and such than I used to with the old DVDs or VHS.

Couldn't they just CG those wires out? I've been noticing that with my blu rays as well and it's grating. I kinda regret buying them and wish I woulda stuck with DVD.

Dylazodelan
Nov 9, 2009

Yaws posted:

Couldn't they just CG those wires out? I've been noticing that with my blu rays as well and it's grating. I kinda regret buying them and wish I woulda stuck with DVD.

I wouldn't mind some CG retouching, if only to remove small SFX flaws like that. But I guess that would negate the "campy charm" that the early movies have.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Yaws posted:

That'd kinda defeat the point though - no one's going into a pre-96 Godzilla movie expecting to not see a dude in a rubber suit. Those things really drive home that they created tangible FX stuff, like a whole tiny tiny town and just went to fuckin' town on it. I like that.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I can't recall offhand any attempts to clean up quote unquote "bad" old special effects which were not horribly ill-advised, so it's just as well that Toho is one of the least likely studios to do something like that anyway.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The remasters for the original Star Trek were not bad but they went overboard in replacing every single optical shot.

Actually now that I think of it Blade Runner: the Final Cut looks good, they messed with the matte lines but that was enough.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

I, Butthole posted:

That'd kinda defeat the point though - no one's going into a pre-96 Godzilla movie expecting to not see a dude in a rubber suit. Those things really drive home that they created tangible FX stuff, like a whole tiny tiny town and just went to fuckin' town on it. I like that.

I'm not at all interested in seeing wires in my science fiction films. The filmmakers certainly would rather you not see them.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

I, Butthole posted:

Funny enough, the cities get even worse treatment from the "make fun of you for liking it" crowd, yet they're often a goddamn masterpiece, especially the early ones. Tsubaraya did some AMAZINGLY detailed work at recreating Japanese cities to look exactly like the real thing. Rodan especially has some impressive photo-realistic stuff. The big problem is most of these were in the 60s, when most architecture was just "plain square buildings" for the most part, so it's easy to overlook the detail level. Tsubaraya once got in trouble with the US military, because his aircraft carrier overhead shot (of a model, natch) was close enough to the real deal, that they thought he was actually doing illegal flyovers of their ships for the footage.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

There is beauty in imperfection.

Dylazodelan
Nov 9, 2009

Choco1980 posted:

Funny enough, the cities get even worse treatment from the "make fun of you for liking it" crowd, yet they're often a goddamn masterpiece, especially the early ones. Tsubaraya did some AMAZINGLY detailed work at recreating Japanese cities to look exactly like the real thing. Rodan especially has some impressive photo-realistic stuff. The big problem is most of these were in the 60s, when most architecture was just "plain square buildings" for the most part, so it's easy to overlook the detail level. Tsubaraya once got in trouble with the US military, because his aircraft carrier overhead shot (of a model, natch) was close enough to the real deal, that they thought he was actually doing illegal flyovers of their ships for the footage.

If anything, the 90s films live up more to the "cardboard buildings" stereotype; there didn't seem like much was done to make them look like read buildings and not mostly-hollow models.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Dylazodelan posted:

If anything, the 90s films live up more to the "cardboard buildings" stereotype; there didn't seem like much was done to make them look like read buildings and not mostly-hollow models.

Well, also, by then they blew up Godzilla to twice his original size, ironically to compensate for how much higher the average building height had gotten in major metropolitan areas. Trade off is less detailed miniatures.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
It's like how the workprint of X-Men Wolverine Origins was the preferred way to see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Choco1980 posted:

I absolutely adore those miniature cities and if I had the space and money I would totally build one myself.