Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

syscall girl posted:

And that bending the law poo poo that is rewarded by always bending it towards guilty people somehow. Amazing how that works out.
Hawaii Five-O is amazing for this sort of thing, it'd be awesome if there was a spin-off show that just showed you all of their cases being thrown out of court because they're loving terrible police. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Patattack posted:

Yeah, but she doesn't even respect the Westerosi royals - why would she want to copy their iconography in such a dedicated way?

She's been raised to covet it since birth and is utterly obsessed with the Iron Throne. Same reason she has a Queens Guard.

Edit: So that I'm not just "well, actually...."-ing all the time: Missandei's dominatrix bra is loving ridiculous Sword of Truth bullshit. What was wrong with her toga?

Strom Cuzewon has a new favorite as of 13:14 on Sep 15, 2016

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Gorson posted:

One might say that a random asteroid destroying Buenos Aires being blamed on alien bugs as an excuse to invade (conquer) is appropriate for a movie that contains so much satire and fascist imagery. It makes more sense than an alien race being able to launch an asteroid from across the galaxy and coming anywhere near hitting our solar system, much less a major South American city, without some course corrections along the way.

I have no idea if that's what Verhoeven was going for, just something to think about given the context of the film.

Yeah, that actually seems decently likely. The movie even makes a point of telling us that there's an anti-meteor defensive network around earth, which went conspicuously unmentioned after Buenos Aires was hit: https://youtu.be/S-s4lEk91ng?t=34s

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

syscall girl posted:

I liked the show when it started because of the leads but it went downhill fast.

I seriously worry about the misrepresentation of criminology that L&O, CSI, NCIS, Bones and all their ilk have on jurors.

And that bending the law poo poo that is rewarded by always bending it towards guilty people somehow. Amazing how that works out.

NCIS would regularly have the leads tell suspects that they were being considered enemy combatants and going to gitmo in order to get confessions out of them. This is in stark contrast to Homicide where they take great pains to show them reading the suspect their rights and then convincing them to waive them, and then getting the department sued.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, that actually seems decently likely. The movie even makes a point of telling us that there's an anti-meteor defensive network around earth, which went conspicuously unmentioned after Buenos Aires was hit: https://youtu.be/S-s4lEk91ng?t=34s

I would even go so far to say that the defensive network is a reference to the "Star Wars" system of the Reagan years. In other words, a multi-billion dollar boondoggle to protect against a threat that only exists in propaganda (In Reagan's case, Soviet Russia).

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I loving hate this show. This irritated me more than the virus that was scanned off bones to infect a computer with malware.

That episode ranks up there with the SVU episode where they found a rapists hidden-in-the-woods secret cabin by using loving not-Second Life.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Schubalts posted:

That episode ranks up there with the SVU episode where they found a rapists hidden-in-the-woods secret cabin by using loving not-Second Life.

I have a special place in my heart for a scene on that show where they get hacked, and the gothy computer girl can't stop it, so another tech comes over and they both furiously mash keys on the same keyboard to stop the hack.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Canemacar posted:

I have a special place in my heart for a scene on that show where they get hacked, and the gothy computer girl can't stop it, so another tech comes over and they both furiously mash keys on the same keyboard to stop the hack.

And then Gibbs just unplugs the computer.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Canemacar posted:

Nope! They can't stop it together, so the curmudgeonly lovable old fucker main character unplugs the computer to stop the hack, because the show is for olds who love olds showing up the youth today with their computers and also the show doesn't bother pretending like understanding computers matters for the kinds of stories it wants to tell.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Len posted:

And then Gibbs just unplugs the computer.

He unplugs the monitor IIRC.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

VanSandman posted:

Nope! They can't stop it together, so the curmudgeonly lovable old fucker main character unplugs the computer to stop the hack, because the show is for olds who love olds showing up the youth today with their computers and also the show doesn't bother pretending like understanding computers matters for the kinds of stories it wants to tell.

The worst part is when the mid-40s black dude that heads the agency and the lady that got him into it are playing 18 and 20 in a flashback.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

El Jeffe posted:

He unplugs the monitor IIRC.

Yep. That was a great scene all around.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
That was in NCIS, not SVU.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The thing I remember from SVU was an episode where the SVU team - a sex crimes unit, keep in mind - have to investigate an exotic animal smuggling ring and the episode culminates in them finding a monkey that's being smuggled in a basketball, which climbs out and hugs the captain when he frees it.

Is it SVU or one of the other police procedurals where practically every episode has a scene where the detectives go to interview someone and they're hefting something up on their shoulder and walking away while saying, "I dunno what to tell ya!" or some variation thereupon?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Canemacar posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8qgehH3kEQ

Also, how hackers communicate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2rGTXHvPCQ

Wheat Loaf posted:

Is it SVU or one of the other police procedurals where practically every episode has a scene where the detectives go to interview someone and they're hefting something up on their shoulder and walking away while saying, "I dunno what to tell ya!" or some variation thereupon?
That does sound very Law-&-Order-y.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

syscall girl posted:

I seriously worry about the misrepresentation of criminology that L&O, CSI, NCIS, Bones and all their ilk have on jurors.

I'll put it this way, I served on a murder jury a few years ago and during the selection process the prosecution specifically made mention of how unrealistic police and investigative procedures on TV were.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DpxwN1o43E&t=55s

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Alternative pants posted:

I'll put it this way, I served on a murder jury a few years ago and during the selection process the prosecution specifically made mention of how unrealistic police and investigative procedures on TV were.

That's very heartening.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I actually did a project once on how shows like CSI seriously gently caress with jury procedures because a lot of jurors will expect literal magic. One case I read about had a guy get declared not guilty of a sexual assault despite finding his semen all over the place because the jurors wanted to find out where the dirt on his boot came from.

That project made a lot of people sad. :( I dislike CSI.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Lawyers literally call it the CSI Effect.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I remember reading somewhere that a lady had gotten robbed, and she called in with "evidence" and when the cops showed, she handed them a jar.

Her reasoning was that it smelled like he farted, so she caught some air in the jar so they could do dna testing or something to help find him like on CSI.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What if jurists had to binge-watch The Wire before they could legally preside a case? Then they would know that the authorities use methodical police-work and not cyber-magic.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

"The Following" with Kevin Bacon had the following exchanges in the pilot:

quote:

Every Tuesday, Carroll was shackled and transported to the Sussex County law library, where he was confined to a sealed room, one guard.
And furnished with law books.
Actual books or digital files?
Digital.
Everything's archived on the library's server.
So he had internet access.
It would have been restricted.
Because that would stop Joe Carroll? drat it! We need to rip apart the library's ethernet! Get the cyber techs in here.

quote:

Carroll never visited same web address twice, which suggests he's using various URLs.
Who with?
Well, there's the rub. Every time I access an IP address, it mutates.
This is a fairly sophisticated virus.

Carroll was an english professor btw

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Do you rip apart the ethernet cable itself or take a hammer to the wall socket?

And really, what are IP addresses but electronic Flu strains?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

quote:

Carroll never visited same web address twice, which suggests he's using various URLs
well, technically

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What if jurists had to binge-watch The Wire before they could legally preside a case? Then they would know that the authorities use methodical police-work and not cyber-magic.

They would also realise that literally nothing they gave a verdict on mattered as the whole justice system is hosed and you'd have hung juries all over the place.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

bitterandtwisted posted:

Well, there's the rub. Every time I access an IP address, it mutates.

So this is how it feels to have an aneurysm.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Fil5000 posted:

They would also realise that literally nothing they gave a verdict on mattered as the whole justice system is hosed and you'd have hung juries all over the place.

Any jury I'm on is a hung jury :smug:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The carrying thing came up today when I was watching Always Sunny. Mac and Charlie are investigating something down by the docks and pick a guy to question because "he's carrying something, those guys always know something"

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Schubalts posted:

So this is how it feels to have an aneurysm.

Dara O'Briain has a bit where he talks about the film 2012 and specifically how it contains the line "The neutrinos have mutated". It's like lovely writers just throw the word "mutate" in to scripts willy nilly.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Fil5000 posted:

Dara O'Briain has a bit where he talks about the film 2012 and specifically how it contains the line "The neutrinos have mutated". It's like lovely writers just throw the word "mutate" in to scripts willy nilly.

2012 was an amazing satire

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

We need more media where step-parents aren't jerks by default, and aren't temporary obstacles who die so the "real" parents can reunite.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
In GATTACA the big reveal of how Vincent is able to beat Anton at swimming is that he doesn't save enough energy to swim back to shore. But he swims back to shore every time and the last time when Anton runs out of energy he is able to swim back to shore while carrying Anton.

Obviously, you saved SOME energy Vincent.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My favourite movie is The Blues Brothers but it sort of irritates me how the Good Old Boys show up after Bob's Country Bunker has closed and everyone's gone home. I mean, they're so late that the Blues Brothers are able impersonate them and play an entire set. And then Bob (and I get this is the joke) is more upset that the Blues Brothers stiffed him on paying for their beer than he is at them for not showing up until after the entire audience went home.

I don't know why that irritates me but I suppose that's why it's irrational.

Dark Juno
Mar 10, 2013

by zen death robot
Source Code:

Instead of doing real investigative work, let's build a machine that costs god knows how many millions so we can create an entire alternate dimension of a terrorist attack scene (based on the incomplete information of a victim's last living moments) and ASK the bomber if he's going to bomb anything else later? Touted as being a powerful weapon against terrorism! Assuming of course the bomber survives and is going to bomb something else later on.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Well to them it isn't creating another dimension its constructing a computer simulation to confront the suspect when they can't actually do that in real life.
The fact they don't know what it's really doing comes up later.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Inspector Gesicht posted:

We need more media where step-parents aren't jerks by default, and aren't temporary obstacles who die so the "real" parents can reunite.

The only movie I can think of where the parents don't magically get back together is Mrs. Doubtfire. Are there any others?

Liar Liar was so poo poo for that reason alone. Oh nooo cool new guy can't do the monster noise the kid likes! Poor him, out you go!

It is so hard to find a good movie that actually makes you pause and go, wait, in another movie ABC would happen and everyone gets what they want. I watched Paranorman with the kids recently, and the football player jock was a loving masterpiece. Naturally the blonde airhead sister cheerleader falls totally for the muscled hunk, and he is oblivious to her, which makes for the usual comedy. But after all the nightmare is over and the zombies defeated, she asks him out to a movie. And he squeals and says he totally wants to go to a scary movie but his boyfriend hates those so let's do a horror flick! It was just so well done without being over the top and "the more you knoooow" poo poo.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Cowslips Warren posted:

The only movie I can think of where the parents don't magically get back together is Mrs. Doubtfire. Are there any others?

Liar Liar was so poo poo for that reason alone. Oh nooo cool new guy can't do the monster noise the kid likes! Poor him, out you go!

Ant Man is probably the most recent. The cop stepdad was completely justified in thinking the criminal-leaning Scott was probably a bad influence on the daughter.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Cowslips Warren posted:

It's been a while, but at the end doesn't he actually successfully drive away Pierce Brosnan though? They don't remarry, but Robin Williams wins over the wife and kids and basically goes back into a normal relationship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBlackVegetable
Oct 29, 2006

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

In GATTACA the big reveal of how Vincent is able to beat Anton at swimming is that he doesn't save enough energy to swim back to shore. But he swims back to shore every time and the last time when Anton runs out of energy he is able to swim back to shore while carrying Anton.

Obviously, you saved SOME energy Vincent.

It irked me too the first time, but it makes sense as a triumph of willpower; people think they've run out of energy well before they really have.