Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Arx Monolith posted:

Isn't 3k yen like... $30?

Well yeah but the king's thing is that he overreacts to everything so that 30 bucks is a big drat deal!

edit: But actually I mistyped what I meant to say, it's 300k yen and not 3k yen. Which is still only a couple thousand dollars at most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
One thing I remember from GTAV was that if you set a waypoint on the map, two contrails crossing in the sky will will be hovering over the spot in the world.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

SomeJazzyRat posted:

One thing I remember from GTAV was that if you set a waypoint on the map, two contrails crossing in the sky will will be hovering over the spot in the world.

:stare: I never once noticed that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm playing Persona 5 and like the previous games it has an All-Out Attack mechanic where knocking down enemies lets you use your entire team to attack them. The big difference is that at the end of this one the character who activated the All-Out Attack will get a special finishing pose at the end of the fight.

They're all pretty amazing but I'm particularly fond of Ryuji's.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I really wish the next elder scrolls game fixed its actor-limit poo poo and gave me one large city with a couple small villages in the outskirts, and lots of areas to delve into inbetween. Skyrim's cities were lifeless and dull, I want a GTAV city and a few villages in the Black Marsh

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

thecluckmeme posted:

I really wish the next elder scrolls game fixed its actor-limit poo poo and gave me one large city with a couple small villages in the outskirts, and lots of areas to delve into inbetween. Skyrim's cities were lifeless and dull, I want a GTAV city and a few villages in the Black Marsh

Then they'd have to stop using the godawful Oblivion base that they've been iteratively 'improving' for the better part of a decade which we know they will never ever do.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rigged Death Trap posted:

im the guy with the absurdly tiny head.

Did your parents have at the Rio Olympics?

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

MiddleOne posted:

Then they'd have to stop using the godawful Oblivion base that they've been iteratively 'improving' for the better part of a decade which we know they will never ever do.

Technically, Skyrim and Fallout 4 don't run on the Gamebryo engine (what Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3, and New Vegas run on), they run on the Creation engine... which Bethesda made "based on the Gamebryo engine". That's why it's largely the same, but different enough to make certain parts of modding awkward and/or annoying.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
In Deus Ex: Mankind Divided you have the option from the main menu to change your outfits for both combat and civilian sections of the game anytime you want. I did it when I was in Adam's apartment and noticed that whatever you switched to is now taken off his coat rack by the door and the one you were wearing is now hung up in its correct place, boots and all.

Though now I'm wondering what Adam does when you change clothes any other place. I like to imagine he's walking around with his extra coat rolled up under an augment. Maybe he has an umbrella there too in case it gets a bit drizzly.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

m2pt5 posted:

Technically, Skyrim and Fallout 4 don't run on the Gamebryo engine (what Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3, and New Vegas run on), they run on the Creation engine... which Bethesda made "based on the Gamebryo engine". That's why it's largely the same, but different enough to make certain parts of modding awkward and/or annoying.

I don't know what made you think that doesn't fit into "iteratively improving".

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

jojoinnit posted:

Maybe he has an umbrella there too in case it gets a bit drizzly.

Nah, the umbrella comes out of the top of his head.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

haveblue posted:

Nah, the umbrella comes out of the top of his head.

Deus Ex: Gadgets Inspected

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
One time I kept doing settlement quests to max out Preston's friendship and right as we were about to fight some raiders he pulled me over to talk about his problems. As we were both being pelted with bullets. I died.
The second time, I kept clicking fast to end it quicker and I ended up stabbing him accidentally with Pickman's blade. Hope that didn't mess anything up though because I think I offended him.

Also one time while defending one of the "mansion by the sea" settlements from mutants, a vertibird showed up, started gunning the mutants for like five seconds, and then crashed into them.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

ImpAtom posted:

I'm playing Persona 5 and like the previous games it has an All-Out Attack mechanic where knocking down enemies lets you use your entire team to attack them. The big difference is that at the end of this one the character who activated the All-Out Attack will get a special finishing pose at the end of the fight.

They're all pretty amazing but I'm particularly fond of Ryuji's.

Are you in Japan?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Just Offscreen posted:

Are you in Japan?

I imported it.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

ImpAtom posted:

I imported it.

If I buy it will you come over and translate it while I play?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

If I buy it will you come over and translate it while I play?

I'll translate. The top text says "FREAKIN BORING" and the caution tape says "CAUTION" a bunch of times.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

ImpAtom posted:

I imported it.

when's the na release?

Saints Row 4
the Johnny Gat rescue mission is a 2D sidescrolling beat em up. what's cool is that it takes your custom boss character and adds a pixelated filter to make them look 16-bit and even goes the extra mile of having heavily digitized voices for your boss and Gat, down to the weird robotic intonations. if that weren't enough there's a bunch of custom combo animations for beating up dudes, from shoryureppas to jumping backbreakers.

I never played the first game, but watching all the volition streams during the saints row anniversary made me realize that Ben King's rescue mission was an abridged reenactment of the first Saints Row's intro.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Saint Freak posted:

I'll translate. The top text says "FREAKIN BORING" and the caution tape says "CAUTION" a bunch of times.

But what does the hand signal mean?

Action Tortoise posted:

when's the na release?

February AND IT'S KILLING ME

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Valentine's day.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Cloks posted:

Valentine's day.

That's smart. They know their audience won't have any plans around then.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
In Ace Attorney Investigations 2 I love the little things with the side characters that the audience knows but Edgeworth doesn't, like the Master Thief and his overbearing wife from the third game, and Mr Sahwit from the series very first case. All are people that Edgeworth has never met because Sawhit was prosecuted by Winston Payne and the thief was prosecuted by Godot, so they are new to him while remaining fanservice for the audience. Feels natural that not every character knows every other character :3:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Action Tortoise posted:

when's the na release?

Saints Row 4
the Johnny Gat rescue mission is a 2D sidescrolling beat em up. what's cool is that it takes your custom boss character and adds a pixelated filter to make them look 16-bit and even goes the extra mile of having heavily digitized voices for your boss and Gat, down to the weird robotic intonations. if that weren't enough there's a bunch of custom combo animations for beating up dudes, from shoryureppas to jumping backbreakers.

I never played the first game, but watching all the volition streams during the saints row anniversary made me realize that Ben King's rescue mission was an abridged reenactment of the first Saints Row's intro.

I believe I'm right about this but I'm pretty sure the technique they used to make your Boss look pixelized is a lot more clever than just hitting you with a filter:

they rendered your model at a really low resolution, and then scaled it up.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

:pwn:

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Babe Magnet posted:

I believe I'm right about this but I'm pretty sure the technique they used to make your Boss look pixelized is a lot more clever than just hitting you with a filter:

they rendered your model at a really low resolution, and then scaled it up.

Also massively dropped the number of frames per animation.

I dislike/am terrible at the genre but goddamn if every screencap of CK2 doesn't make me want it badly.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Sad lions posted:

I dislike/am terrible at the genre but goddamn if every screencap of CK2 doesn't make me want it badly.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Sad lions posted:

:same:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
While I enjoy CK's mechanics a lot, the whimsical style really helps it to become more than just a glorified excel sheet.

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

When you have the poet trait in CK2, you can have your lovely poetry read to prisoners, which has a chance of making them go insane.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Sadly I didn't screenshot it, but a few months after that, a baby was found by the rosebush :stare:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Did you make him your heir? Did you go back for another thorny tryst? This sounds like the start to a literal War of the Roses if you can go back and get more rose bush babies.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Pretty sure this one came out of a mod but it's still my favorite CK2 screenshot of all time:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Ace Attorney Investigations 2 has the best meta-joke in the final case:

While investigating the movie set, if you examine the entrance Edgeworth and Kay remark that they can't see anyone notable at the tower - then the camera pans up to reveal Phoenix and Maya standing on the other side of the wall marvelling at the nearby tower, out of sight of all the characters. Edgeworth adds "No, not from this perspective anyway..."
:3:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
The guy who translated AAI2 is really fantastic and managed to make it feel like an official localization in the series.
I hope they get a job somewhere doing translation work.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Just the amount of fairly useless skills in Ultima Online.

I mean you could train taste ID and try to sell yourself as a food taster, or forensics and pretend to be a medieval detective.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

RagnarokAngel posted:

The guy who translated AAI2 is really fantastic and managed to make it feel like an official localization in the series.
I hope they get a job somewhere doing translation work.

I honestly forgot that AAI2 wasn't an official translation a few times while playing, they did an absolutely phenomenal job with it :allears:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Danaru posted:

I honestly forgot that AAI2 wasn't an official translation a few times while playing, they did an absolutely phenomenal job with it :allears:

Now I've finished it I have an appreciation for Sebastian Debest. He had a rough time of it in that final case, but it was just the crucible his character needed to come out of the other end stronger and more capable than before. I also love that his theme changes after his transformation from Icharyuu's Reasoning, the goofy song of a loving idiot, to Icharyuu's Farewell, a badass march that will eventually match the great prosecutor he'll work his rear end off to become.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

I don't play RuneScape, but this seems like a fun idea for an MMO:

quote:

RuneScape adds Storage Wars-style auctions for banned player bank accounts

On stage yesterday, as part of the rundown of what's to come in the now 15-year-old browser-based MMO, the creators of RuneScape announced they would be holding player auctions on the contents of banned players' bank accounts.

The activity called Bank Bidders, inspired by trash reality TV show Storage Wars, will not allow bidders to know the contents of the accounts they are bidding on adding a bit of mystery to the auctions.

While you might end up with an inventory full of dirt, occasionally Jagex does ban insanely high value accounts for exploiting XP farming methods so you could just as easily end up on top of a goldmine.

Just like the TV show, you are given a glimpse into the value of the account, though instead of getting 30 seconds to look at a pile of junk in a garage in the American mid-west, you're told how old the account was when it was banned, and how it ended up under the banhammer.
http://www.pcgamesn.com/runescape/runescape-banned-account-auction-bank-bidders-storage-wars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That is an interesting system, compared to say TF2 where thousands of dollars' worth of rare items (some of them totally unique and worth tons on their own) were just rendered completely inert due to the huge VAC banwave that swept through recently.