Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004
Anyone else play a round this weekend? I played a BAM event and did really poorly. Individually shot a 31 but only 50 as a team, one positive is I've been asked to play C grade pennants at the end of the year if I stay above 18 handicap which was my end year goal to get down to.

Spent the afternoon chipping into an old golf umbrella around the back yard giving myself difficult lies and more than anything trying to work out swing speed to distance to try and get some touch back. Now to see if I can get it to translate around the local par three course on Wednesday.

The next thing I want to focus on is getting my club distances dialled in, I've seen a few guys online have a distance book so they can fire a rangefinder at the flag and know what club to hit, does anyone here use a similar method if so what did you find worked and didn't work? The main issue I am having comes from 120 meters in so around 150 yards so PW, 50, 54 and 58 degrees as an example of what I'm carrying currently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

My PW is 46 degrees (Bridgestone J40 DPC) and then my Vokey SM5s are 50/54/58. I do have a bit of a larger gap between my PW and 50 degree than the rest of my clubs but I've been able to cover it pretty well. I've never used a book or anything, I just play a lot and have a pretty solid idea of my typical ranges with each club.

I played a new course yesterday that was longer than I usually play, plus my driver wasn't working very well and the fairways were pretty soft. All this meant I was hitting a lot more mid irons into greens than I usually do, and my distances were very accurate overall for the round.

One of the guys I played with was hitting his 3 wood for an approach shot on almost every hole, and even when he hit it well he couldn't reach quite a few greens, and he was the one who chose the back tees. I don't think I'd enjoy this game nearly as much if that was how I played, it seemed like he usually plays similar distances and just expects to come up short on most holes.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Played a course I'd never played before yesterday, Riverdale Dunes, out near the Denver Airport. Nice layout around some water, good condition, but they had punched their greens and not sanded well (and neither posted it on their website, nor changed their pricing). Our 4 ball easily had 15-20 putts that "wandered" out of line and missed. The longest putt made was a 6 footer. It was maddening to play well, stand over a 12 foot birdie putt and know it was just not going to drop. I played a 500 yard par 5 perfectly, 280 drive, hybrid to 8 feet, and watched the eagle putt hop it's way sideways to miss. The really sad thing was how beautiful their putting green was in practicing before the round. Really raised expectations.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

Tiger has a bad Ryder Cup record

Bringing this one back...

it's really no worse than Phil's.

Fowler who just got selected as captain's pick has never won a full point in a Ryder Cup match(0-3-5).

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah I didn't think Tiger was that bad in the Ryder Cup, all things considered.

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
Yeah most of the current or recent US players have bad Ryder cup records. But I am so excited for this year, kinda sad that I didn't end up going.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
The Kooch is the only one that can currently stare down Ragnar Henrik Stenson and not feel fear. :black101:

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
So last week I'm shooting terribly. Tonight I shot a personal best in my league playoffs. (almost) No 3 putts!

That's golf I guess.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
drat that's a good round. Good to see you're enjoying it again.

I had a weird round on Saturday where I was hitting well but straighter and longer than I usually do so I kept blasting it into the trees. Kinda hard to be mad but I posted my first round above 100.

It was a tough course with a bunch of long dog leg par 4's which were a real bitch. I'm not confident enough with my driver to cut a dog leg so I had to hit to the corner which often left 200+ to go.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Doglegs that leave you 200 yards if you can't cut the corner is a pretty lovely design IMO, unless you're talking par 5s. There's a handful of holes at courses locally that are like that and it's dumb. The 17th hole at a state park course is a 400ish yard par four, and if you can't hit a controlled fade/slice, you're going to have 250 yards to the green on your second shot which is lame.

I've been unhappy with my driving lately; distance and contact are good but I've been hitting some double-crosses when trying to fade and some huge push-fades when trying to draw, etc. Tonight my home course was pretty empty so I started experimenting and it seems like when I widen my stance a bit and add some spine tilt back towards my right side, it's a guaranteed draw. Hopefully that continues to be the case for a while, I've got a scramble this Sunday with a huge skins pool but it's at a course I've never played. I've got a tee time there tomorrow to try and get some feel for the place. For once I won't be the best golfer on the team so it'll be a different experience than what I'm used to.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
Nope they were par 4's and there were 3-4 of them on the course. Those holes weren't very fun to play. It felt like you needed to cut the dogleg to have a chance at GIR so I was playing for bogie at best. Probably an easy course for someone with a good driver though.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I'm headed down to Myrtle Beach this weekend, specifically staying in Surfside Beach which is south of Myrtle Beach proper.

Anyone have any recommendations for courses to play while I'm down there? North Myrtle Beach is probably farther than my uncles would want to go to play and they're probably hesitant to pay more than $80-100 which shouldn't really be an issue for most places.

I can't for the life of me remember where we've played in the past. I'd love to play Caledonia or True Blue but they may be a bit steep depending on the time of day.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

Shrapnig posted:

I'm headed down to Myrtle Beach this weekend, specifically staying in Surfside Beach which is south of Myrtle Beach proper.

Anyone have any recommendations for courses to play while I'm down there? North Myrtle Beach is probably farther than my uncles would want to go to play and they're probably hesitant to pay more than $80-100 which shouldn't really be an issue for most places.

I can't for the life of me remember where we've played in the past. I'd love to play Caledonia or True Blue but they may be a bit steep depending on the time of day.

When I was a kid I played The Wizard and Man 'O War and remember them being awesome, but to be fair that was 15-20 years ago.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

EnsGDT posted:

When I was a kid I played The Wizard and Man 'O War and remember them being awesome, but to be fair that was 15-20 years ago.

I don't know either of those courses but I feel like any courses with names that fuckin' rad should be tried out, just on principle.

pmac
Jun 12, 2007

torgeaux posted:

Played a course I'd never played before yesterday, Riverdale Dunes, out near the Denver Airport. Nice layout around some water, good condition, but they had punched their greens and not sanded well (and neither posted it on their website, nor changed their pricing). Our 4 ball easily had 15-20 putts that "wandered" out of line and missed. The longest putt made was a 6 footer. It was maddening to play well, stand over a 12 foot birdie putt and know it was just not going to drop. I played a 500 yard par 5 perfectly, 280 drive, hybrid to 8 feet, and watched the eagle putt hop it's way sideways to miss. The really sad thing was how beautiful their putting green was in practicing before the round. Really raised expectations.

Another Denver golf goon checking in. I played Riverdale Dunes on the same day! I was also disappointed that I made the 30-minute drive to play greens that were punched a couple days before. I had played it the previous weekend and loved the course. I didn't find out about the aeration until paying at the golf shop where they had a little sign taped to the front desk. Let me know if you'd be down to get a round in some time.

I played in my last tournament of the season Monday and Tuesday and missed the cut. Really struggled on day 1 with a few blow-up holes. Came back day 2 and had it +1 thru 6 after making eagle on a driveable par 4 (my dumb rear end forgot to buy in to the side-pot skins, it would've been worth ~$800). Proceeded to triple the par-5 7th, double the par-3 8th and bogey the par-4 9th. Then I shot even-par 36 on my last nine to shoot 79. I also landed one in the hole (destroyed the side of the cup) on a 190-yard par 3 that ricocheted off the pin to 50-feet. Fun game.

pmac fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Sep 14, 2016

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

EnsGDT posted:

Definitely Man O' War. A lot of Myrtle courses have resident pricing, so if you know someone that lives in the area booking the tee times etc. They can be as much as 40 dollars cheaper than the normal touristy rate.

Edit: The Wizard is pretty nice too, more linksy and open, and unforgiving.

thebushcommander fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Sep 14, 2016

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

pmac posted:

Another Denver golf goon checking in. I played Riverdale Dunes on the same day! I was also disappointed that I made the 30-minute drive to play greens that were punched a couple days before. I had played it the previous weekend and loved the course. I didn't find out about the aeration until paying at the golf shop where they had a little sign taped to the front desk. Let me know if you'd be down to get a round in some time.

I played in my last tournament of the season Monday and Tuesday and missed the cut. Really struggled on day 1 with a few blow-up holes. Came back day 2 and had it +1 thru 6 after making eagle on a driveable par 4 (my dumb rear end forgot to buy in to the side-pot skins, it would've been worth ~$800). Proceeded to triple the par-5 7th, double the par-3 8th and bogey the par-4 9th. Then I shot even-par 36 on my last nine to shoot 79. I also landed one in the hole (destroyed the side of the cup) on a 190-yard par 3 that ricocheted off the pin to 50-feet. Fun game.

Where do you normally play? I play the Lakewood/Golden area most of the time.

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
I could also use good suggestions down there. Played Indian Trace in Arvada a few weeks ago and was a nice course for the price. Set up was a bit confusing though.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Unknownmass posted:

I could also use good suggestions down there. Played Indian Trace in Arvada a few weeks ago and was a nice course for the price. Set up was a bit confusing though.

I play Fossil Trace (Golden, love the course, somewhat expensive, slow), Fox Hollow (Lakewood, like the courses, good condition, slow), Homestead (Lakewood, great condition, tricky, but short and par 65). Occasionally, my hometown course of Evergreen, but it's always in terrible condition.

pmac
Jun 12, 2007
I play Commonground more than anywhere else because it's a cool track without a shitload of houses on it. I met the head pro at Legacy Ridge in Westminster earlier this week so I may try to get out there sometime in the next couple weeks.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

So I had a pretty awesome round today.

Driver was on point and I was sticking my wedges like I've never done before.

If it was for the stupid loving design of the 18th green I should have had a par. Lemme tell you about 18, the #1 handicap hole on the course with a loving mini putt course for a green.

Ok, so the top of the image, just before the water is the end of the fairway, from the black tees which is one in from the tips it's about 250 to not put it into the water, and then you're left with about 150ish to the center of the green. Nothing bad so far, 4 iron off the tee left me with 165, nothing horrible.

So the green,

It's long and very very thin, the middle of green is essentially the top of a hill with about a 5 foot flat area at the top of said hill, otherwise it slopes away in every direction, the loving greens keeper there loves to put the pin halfway up the hill on either the back or the front of the green making it near impossible to go at the pin. Also, not only is it a big hill from front to back, it slopes away from the water. You can kind of see in the picture above where the pin is, that location is at the top of the hill and to the right of the flag it slopes down and towards the bottom of the picture, the back of the green basically.

So today the pin was to the right of the sand trip, halfway down the hill and on an extreme right to left(according to the picture) slope. I put my 6 iron a little short but I'm on the front of the green. So now I have to go up the hill and at the top of the hill the ball is going to start running down hill and also right to left. Hit it too hard and it's going to run right by the green, not hard enough and it's not going to make it up the green, don't put it out far enough to the right and, well you can see how this is a loving stupid green and no one I've ever played with at this course likes it, just a horrible finishing hole. Anyways, I loving 3 putt the hole because I didn't hit it hard enough so it made it up the hill but not far enough to get close. Now I'm still left with a big downhill right to left. Miss that one too. Have I mentioned I hate this loving hole. Next time I'm out there I'll take a worms eye view of the hole so you can see how ridiculous it is.

Anyways, besides that I was on point all day, sorry for the rant, just a frustrating way to end an otherwise great round.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Golf sucks I hate this sport bring on the winter so I can regroup and maybe get some lessons.

I shot my season best 93 2 weekends ago, was on pace for 94 last week but got stuck behind a logjam on the back 9 after 3 holes and decided to call it a day, then went out today and shot the most inconsistent round and finished with a 105.

My slice is back with a loving vengeance. Only its a pull slice. And every now and then a pull hook. I was hitting so many shots fat on the front 9 then thinning them on the back. Ive got so much poo poo going on in my head now that Im basically just out there playing whack gently caress and its just not fun. :(

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Furnaceface posted:

Golf sucks I hate this sport bring on the winter so I can regroup and maybe get some lessons.

Well if your pb is a 93 then you shouldn't be all that surprised or upset when you put up a score in the 100s, bad rounds happen to all of us!

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
So, one of the courses in my rotation is Fox Hollow. It has a sister course, Homestead, and they share equipment sheds, cart sheds, management, but not maintenance. Homestead is one of the best courses at aeration I've ever seen. The day after, they've dressed the greens so well that they're slow, and a little bumpy, but otherwise fine. They keep a good eye on them, and the healing is so good, one week later there's no complaining.

Fox Hollow. Ah, so much different. Last year, I remember hating how bad a job they did at aeration, considering how good the general maintenance was. They don't fill the aeration holes with sand. They leave ten inch deep holes unfilled. Never seen it before, never heard of it, can't find anyone who does it online. It has a deleterious effect on putting.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://twitter.com/GolfDigest/status/780201277309513728
Rip Arnold Palmer :smith:

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Why Arnold why him :negative:

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

I was surprised to learn he was only 87. I would have guessed he was in his 90s.

He lived a long life doing things he loved. That's all any of us can hope for. :unsmith:

:smith:

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
RIP :smith:

https://youtu.be/0rONXxy9kk0

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
badass

:saddowns:

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004
drat shame. He helped build the modern game into what it is.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Got my dad into golf which got me into it.

A true American icon.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Pure skill in human form, lost to us now. God Speed, Arnold.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
They better win this loving Ryder Cup for Arnie. What a guy. loving legend.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

RIP Arnie, you fuckin' owned :smith:

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund
That's sad news. RIP Arnie, a true legend. :sadwave:

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

torgeaux posted:

I play Fossil Trace (Golden, love the course, somewhat expensive, slow), Fox Hollow (Lakewood, like the courses, good condition, slow), Homestead (Lakewood, great condition, tricky, but short and par 65). Occasionally, my hometown course of Evergreen, but it's always in terrible condition.

Sup Denver goons. I just played Fossil Trace for the first time on Saturday morning. Absolutely gorgeous. The single that got put in our group put his tee shot on 11 about 3 inches from the pin. I'd definitely go back but the greens were terrible this weekend. Some were lightning speed but most were slow and a bit choppy.

geeteeslow
Apr 23, 2007
gangsta crizzabs
Came here to post about Arnie. He was an incredible guy, we met at the opening of Champions' Retreat, a local club with a Palmer Signature 9, a Player 9 and a Nicklaus 9.
They all did a demo out on the 1st tee of their individual 9's, and by far he was the most personable. He had charisma in a way that a lot of other players don't these days.
Aside from some local guys, a few I've met along the way have that "attitude", and Arnie just didn't have an ounce of that in his body. He was a professional people person,
aside from a great player. Thanks for all the memories on Thursday morning in Augusta.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Furnaceface posted:

I shot my season best 93 2 weekends ago, was on pace for 94 last week but got stuck behind a logjam on the back 9 after 3 holes and decided to call it a day, then went out today and shot the most inconsistent round and finished with a 105.

My slice is back with a loving vengeance. Only its a pull slice. And every now and then a pull hook. I was hitting so many shots fat on the front 9 then thinning them on the back. Ive got so much poo poo going on in my head now that Im basically just out there playing whack gently caress and its just not fun. :(

So here is how it went for me this summer. After breaking 100 last year, I set a goal to break 90 this year. I did it exactly once.

I had made the assumption that one I broke 90, I'd never shoot 100 again. It hasn't worked out that way. I shoot 100+ a lot less, but it's taking a while to figure out how to stay consistent.

On the plus side, I crushed it against my friend who shoots high 80's the last two rounds. I've beaten him by 5 strokes twice now!

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

mintskoal posted:

Sup Denver goons. I just played Fossil Trace for the first time on Saturday morning. Absolutely gorgeous. The single that got put in our group put his tee shot on 11 about 3 inches from the pin. I'd definitely go back but the greens were terrible this weekend. Some were lightning speed but most were slow and a bit choppy.

They're in recovery from the fall aeration, which takes a bit longer than spring. They say they keep the greens at 10.5 thru the year, and that's pretty close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
Does anyone have any speculation as to the real reasons Hazeltine has been re-routed for the Ryder Cup?

The PGA's official stance uses the word "safety" a lot, as any good press office would encourage these days. They make it sound as though walking around certain parts of the golf course on a brisk autumn evening is certain to induce a most painful death on undulating cart paths over treacherous chasms and crevasses that have swallowed many an unwary spectator whole. To which my only response is "lol".