Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I did a Gentoo install a few months back (ref: my posts in this thread) and junked it after a few weeks of fooling around with setting up my dev environment because the project's documentation/website/wiki/everything is now impossibly out of date, you really can't tell what's remotely current and what isn't, what the authoritative source of an answer is for anything, nor get the slightest insight into what best practices are for customizing your package overrides, and you have to do that heavily because approximately nothing has been pushed into stable in the last 3-4 years. Gentoo's just a disorganized mess of abandoned initiatives with nobody cleaning up after the dead ones. Insiders presumably know what's up, but it's too much effort to become one IMO.

I'm sure you could ask questions in IRC and get reasonable answers, but I'm more into googling, dismissing bad-looking answers from neophytes, and figuring it out myself than joining a coffee klatch to discuss sysadmin basics with said neophytes.

I'm not sure how Arch compares, I gather their install is also several hours of bash command paint by numbers -perhaps they have the manpower and leadership to better keep things together on the doc side?

Realistically there's very little reason to venture out of Debian/Ubuntu/Fedora/RedHat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
arch setup is fairly simple and doesn't require much of a reference if you've done linux poo poo before

partition and format your disk, mount it, run "pacstrap" to infect the system with linux, install a boot loader of your choice (the correct answer is systemd-boot, nee gummiboot, assuming you have EFI firmware, which in tyool 2016 you really ought to by now).

the only downside is that you have to do all this from zsh. ok you can run bash first thing if you're a sane person.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I still have a non uefi bios, somehow

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Mr Dog posted:

the only downside is that you have to do all this from zsh. ok you can run bash first thing if you're a sane person.

What is wrong with you

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

gabensraum posted:

any reason i shouldn't use fedora as a home server? we're using centos servers at work now and i'll be doing work with them so i'm thinking of using it at home.

i currently use debian test so that i get more frequent package updates. can i similarly regard fedora server as a more up-to-date centos? or can i configure centos to do that too?

thanks pals

im using fedora as a home server + steam box and its v nice

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

atomicthumbs posted:

What is wrong with you

there is nothing wrong with bash in interactive use and it exists on virtually all linux systems whose command lines ever get interacted with

zsh is dumb bullshit for ricers who have nothing better to do with their time

now, if you find yourself writing a bash script, then don't. write a python script. the minute you find yourself looking up how to do a conditional in bash, stop. if you are looking up how to define a function in bash then it is already too late zalgotext zalgotext

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
in other news gnome 3.22 comes out on monday. it's gonna be good but you knew that already

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mr Dog posted:

there is nothing wrong with bash in interactive use and it exists on virtually all linux systems whose command lines ever get interacted with

now, if you find yourself writing a bash script, then don't. write a python script. the minute you find yourself looking up how to do a conditional in bash, stop. if you are looking up how to define a function in bash then it is already too late zalgotext zalgotext

Thus spoke a man who doesn't appreciate context-aware shell command autocomplete for those things that perhaps you should've scripted or documented but never quite got around to.

(Not a zsh exclusive, not a zsh user)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Mr Dog posted:

in other news gnome 3.22 comes out on monday. it's gonna be unusable garbage but you knew that already

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

i like being able to type sudo sy and press up to autocomplete the service i've been restarting

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

James Baud posted:

Thus spoke a man who doesn't appreciate context-aware shell command autocomplete for those things that perhaps you should've scripted or documented but never quite got around to.

Bash has context aware autocomplete.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

James Baud posted:

I'm not sure how Arch compares, I gather their install is also several hours of bash command paint by numbers -perhaps they have the manpower and leadership to better keep things together on the doc side?

Arch has really good documentation. Their wiki is very good. They break stuff in Arch all the time but they do tell you in the docs how to fix it.

quote:

Realistically there's very little reason to venture out of Debian/Ubuntu/Fedora/RedHat.
:agreed:

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

spankmeister posted:

Bash has context aware autocomplete.

It's really not the same, I didn't spell it out - autocomplete derived from your command history, with some degree of pwd-awareness in its suggestions (ie, it leans toward commands you frequently run when in any given directory). All I know is I get a few "wait, what the heck is that?" adopters every year from the people who see it while I'm showing them something unrelated without being an annoying evangelist.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Here's a ~30s video that shows the behaviour I mean slightly without some doofus talking: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfcRthJy6Vc ... the prompt is riced, the rest is out of the box.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

James Baud posted:

That and showing you which branch you are on in the command prompt. Reduced my "oh gently caress just committed to master" frequency amazingly

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

jre posted:

That and showing you which branch you are on in the command prompt. Reduced my "oh gently caress just committed to master" frequency amazingly

this is super easy to do in bash also

Mr Dog posted:

true in general, with the caveat of the one time its good to write a shell script: doing something in a initrd image when all you have is a shell

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
hey yospos, i really like source-based linux distros and think they're cool but has anyone been able to install source mage?

apparently the project owner decided that bootable ISOs are lame and boostrapping with another distro is the way to go, but those instructions seem to be out of date

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
zsh is good because unlike bash you can keep up to date with it, since it didn't switch to an unreasonable license

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

eschaton posted:

zsh is good because unlike bash you can keep up to date with it, since it didn't switch to an unreasonable license

quote:

bash --version
GNU bash, version 4.3.42(1)-release (x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu)
Copyright (C) 2013 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>

This is free software; you are free to change and redistribute it.
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.

Latest release is 4.4 as of yesterday. Tell me again how I can't keep up to date?

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
petition to rename the Gnu Public License the Yak Shaving License

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
printer jammed again ???? *codes an entire userspace*

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
reminder that stallman is smarter than every single poster itt and a force for good in the world and almost always ends up being right in the end

"a bloo bloo bloo i want to use the fruit of somebody else's labour but i don't want to abide by the terms that the creator offers"

"a bloo bloo bloo i want to enjoy all the benefits of civilization and the rule of law but i don't want to abide by the obligations (tax) imposed upon me by that very same system of law"

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Mr Dog posted:

reminder that stallman is smarter than every single poster itt and a force for good in the world and almost always ends up being right in the end

"a bloo bloo bloo i want to use the fruit of somebody else's labour but i don't want to abide by the terms that the creator offers"

"a bloo bloo bloo i want to enjoy all the benefits of civilization and the rule of law but i don't want to abide by the obligations (tax) imposed upon me by that very same system of law"

yes but he ate a thing off of his foot

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
everything stallman ever knew or believed about programming is obsolete

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Gazpacho posted:

and everything stallman ever knew or believed about capitalism is as true as ever

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Mr Dog posted:

and everything stallman ever knew or believed about capitalism is as true as ever
e.g. grocery discount cards being the mark of the beast?

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
he literally wants shabbos goys to do every little thing for him so he doesn't get "surveilled"

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
mr. dog is right. RMS is cool and good.

quote:

I'm looking for people to…

write a recipe for how to connect to the WiFi in a Mcdonalds without running its nonfree Javascript code. The recipe could include a free Javascript program I could run, or it could consist of instructions for what I would type into IceCat (our variant of Firefox). It doesn't have't be super convenient, it just has to work.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Mr Dog posted:

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

yes but he ate a thing off of his foot

you can be right about things and still be a gross weirdo

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Mr Dog posted:

lol right

he's not even right about having invented emacs, his original claim to fame

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Gazpacho posted:

and he wasn't very good at it to start with

you'll notice that he didn't get recruited to Symbolics, there's a reason for that

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Lysidas posted:

true in general, with the caveat of the one time its good to write a shell script: doing something in a initrd image when all you have is a shell
Always
Be
shell sCripting

code:
xt_title()
{
        [[ "$TERM" == xterm* ]] &&
        [ $# == 1 ] && [[ "$1" != *[[:cntrl:]]* ]] &&
        printf '\e]0;%s\a' "$1"
}

xt_title 'yospos bithc'

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

jre posted:

i like my zsh + solarized dark + powerline

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Mr Dog posted:

php invented their own json decoder because the one they had been using beforehand, the standard one, had a license that contained the clause "The Software shall be used for Good, not Evil."

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Powerzhell

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

jobs did more for computers than stallman and he didn't even write code.

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

atomicthumbs posted:

i like my zsh + solarized dark + powerline

:yeah:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Gazpacho posted:

he literally wants shabbos goys to do every little thing for him so he doesn't get "surveilled"

rms is a middle-aged man with crippling nerve damage

go loving figure he has assistants to help him continue his mission despite physical infirmity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Mr Dog posted: