Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
You sons of bitches, I (along with others) were mocked when we floated the idea of Tyrell being another of Elliot's personalities, but here we are talking about time travel?!

Come on, son!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

And also renewed questions of if this Tyrell is in Elliott's head.

Maybe that's why his accent isn't as thick :tinfoil:

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Khablam posted:

I'd laugh if phase 2 was just "hack e-corp, but with bitcoin". I'd be perfect on so many levels.

The link escapes me now, but what if Mr. Robot was just an idea from the random bitcoin idea generator?

"A Fight Club based suspense epic, but with bitcoin."

beeman
May 7, 2008

90% of this show is literally a character being framed in either bottom corners of the screen, as if to deter networks from putting in garish promotional ad overlays

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Oh man, I'm just clicking random Mr. Robot clips on Youtube and the season one stuff is tripping me out. I didn't realize the 'Bonsoir, Elliot' phone call was a callback to Elliot meeting Tyrell at the end of the first episode. Also Joanna's bodyguard/assistant was in the first episode too.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
I thought Wellick sounded like Christian Slater, and I figured it was supposed to indicate that he was another of Eliot's hallucinations, but I wasn't going to mention it because it sounded like a typical stupid/crazy goon theory and now I'm reading about time travel and replicants and AIs and just :psypop:

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
Don't you have to push the button on the speaker before you can talk to Alexa?

There is some poor guy who works for Whiterose whose job is to go down to the big aquarium, grab another fresh Interview Fish, then walk back up to the house, fill the tank back up and put the new fish in. The little girl with the bruise makeup fries the old fishes with some rice.

jongp4
Jul 7, 2008

Med School posted:

Don't you have to push the button on the speaker before you can talk to Alexa?

No

Siri on the iPhone 6S and 7 will also respond to voice commands with out a button as well

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

The AV club review also goes on and on about time travel and alt realities and I'm just :psyduck:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I just finished last night's episode. I skipped about 197 posts in this thread (which I will go back and read tomorrow morning) because I wanted to say my poo poo.

At this point I am wondering if phase 2 is dependent on shifting the world economy to cryptocurrency. Like, phase one crashed the regular economy, that never ends in fixing any kind of class struggle. Everything that's happened, up until now, is pushing the world towards a place where ECoin and Bitcoin are the future of currency. There is an obvious advantage for Price, as his money is gaining value. But what if Elliot has a way to compromise ECoin? What is happening is that that wealth is moving from existing structures into Elliot's domain. The attack on Ray's site? Where "the bitcoin wallets kept emptying themselves" and he didn't know why? Maybe that was a test. That was Whiterose's interest in that whole chain of events. They got to test their cryptocurrency destabilization exploit on an economy that wouldn't be able to out their exploit and it got shut-down before anyone realized what happened to it. The FBI doesn't even know about the problems Ray was having, they just busted him for black-market poo poo. So maybe, everything, the 5/9 attacks, Whiterose and Price working together, Tyrell, maybe it's all part of Mr. Robot and Elliot's plan to get the whole world running on cryptocurrency, so they can use their powers to truly redistribute wealth and power.

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?

Snak posted:

I just finished last night's episode. I skipped about 197 posts in this thread (which I will go back and read tomorrow morning) because I wanted to say my poo poo.

At this point I am wondering if phase 2 is dependent on shifting the world economy to cryptocurrency. Like, phase one crashed the regular economy, that never ends in fixing any kind of class struggle. Everything that's happened, up until now, is pushing the world towards a place where ECoin and Bitcoin are the future of currency. There is an obvious advantage for Price, as his money is gaining value. But what if Elliot has a way to compromise ECoin? What is happening is that that wealth is moving from existing structures into Elliot's domain. The attack on Ray's site? Where "the bitcoin wallets kept emptying themselves" and he didn't know why? Maybe that was a test. That was Whiterose's interest in that whole chain of events. They got to test their cryptocurrency destabilization exploit on an economy that wouldn't be able to out their exploit and it got shut-down before anyone realized what happened to it. The FBI doesn't even know about the problems Ray was having, they just busted him for black-market poo poo. So maybe, everything, the 5/9 attacks, Whiterose and Price working together, Tyrell, maybe it's all part of Mr. Robot and Elliot's plan to get the whole world running on cryptocurrency, so they can use their powers to truly redistribute wealth and power.

Finally someone with a theory that makes sense!

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Snak posted:

This is roughly the same direction I was going 2 pages ago. Glad someone else is stepping away from replicants and time travel.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Not sure I like this show goind David Lynch. I really hope Tyrell is real, if he isn't, the virtual personalities thing will feel a little overused. Regarding him looking different - his hair is dyed black, that's it. Nothing else changed about his looks.

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot

Highblood posted:

I can't be the only one starting to get annoyed by the pace of the show. Right? The questions just keep stacking up and I don't see them being answered in 1 episode. The show should take a hint from whiterose and start using its time a bit more efficiently.

I was kind of frustrated by this one. It took the teasing too far and I think 5 minutes of air time was spent watching the FBI agent go to sleep.

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

A good pun is like a good steak: A rare medium well done
Someone on Reddit probably would have found a relation by now before I thought of this - but the HANG IN THERE cat poster on the wall in White Rose's test room jumped out at me beyond it's visual absurdity...

Have we seen that poster before somewhere? Was it up in Elliot's apartment at some point? I feel like there's something to it but I can't quite grasp it.

hip check please
Jan 11, 2012

I still don't understand where the time travel was in that episode.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

White Rose mentioned opening doors to possibilities, and there were Back to the Future II songs in the episode, and something is using a lot of power. Obviously a time machine?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Doctor Butts posted:

Out of all the loving shows on TV, how the gently caress does Mr. Robot get hit with the craziest theories reminiscent of Lost posters in its heyday.
Hey man, good job not reading what I was saying. All I did was point out what the show literally said with words and exclaiming how much I would hate it if the show goes the Lost route because, guess what, I watched 2 episodes of that trite poo poo and bowed out immediately. Boy am I glad I did because that wiki page full of unanswered questions would've left me sour. That kind of sour is what will turn my love-watching of Mr. Robot into hate-watching if they don't loving answer some questions next episode.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
when a record skips I too believe i've travelled in time

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Snak posted:

The problem with this theory is that cryptocurrencies don't really add anything of value to the world.

The season one plot of erasing all debt was also pretty nonsensical, but at least it made sense on a superficial, emotional level(crippling medical debts are a travesty that shouldn't even exist) and was also a homage to Fight Club.

But bitcoins? What positive effect could that ever have on the world? How does it solve income inequality on a national or international level? How does it stop the abuse of power by large companies or their disproportional influence on political decision making? It's just a very expensive, slow, inefficient and easy exploitable way of cashless payment.

Isaacs Alter Ego
Sep 18, 2007

Is this roughly the same as the poster that was in Tiny Angela's room? It was an easter egg in the ARG, found in some weird beeps and boops in like, episode 4 I think.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Okay well here we go. Here's my "actual" theory because drat this show if it's going to turn into Syfy channel bullshit.

Stage 1 is make paper money useless so all currency must be electronic. (Think start of Season 2 when they had Scott burn the cash, the statement was made.)
Stage 2 is take control of the electronic counterpart. This requires the pre-emptive action of taking down Ray's marketplace (the Silk Road analogy) as it is the largest (monopolistic) market of its kind and doesn't use ECoin.
Stage 3 is to use that control to reach the end goal of ~whatever~ because we actually don't know the end goal yet. Whatever it is, it ruins large corporations and "changes the world."

Wellick is taking Elliot to the server farm that's going to duplicate (think Ocean's 11 safe room duplication) the server farm ECorp uses to hold ECoin information. Instead of completely crashing the economy by breaking ECoin and ECorp, they are instead going to use the server farm to manipulate the new economy similar to using "time travel" tactics, by having ECoin servers occasionally "brown out" and when they come back online, the numbers all seem to be going the right way, when actually Elliot and Wellick have made indistinguishable transfers through changing timestamps on transactions. No idea what kind of transactions would take place since that's Stage 3 stuff we don't know yet.

Nice and simple while being fatty enough to include more hacking scenes.

As for Angela, we just aren't seeing the truth through her anymore. Consider her another version of Elliot: Completely terribly unreliable narrator.
Edit: She also has a brain tumor.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Sep 16, 2016

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

Is this roughly the same as the poster that was in Tiny Angela's room? It was an easter egg in the ARG, found in some weird beeps and boops in like, episode 4 I think.

Holy poo poo. That's actually kind of cool they just having fun with their viewers.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

AwkwardKnob posted:

Someone on Reddit probably would have found a relation by now before I thought of this - but the HANG IN THERE cat poster on the wall in White Rose's test room jumped out at me beyond it's visual absurdity...

Have we seen that poster before somewhere? Was it up in Elliot's apartment at some point? I feel like there's something to it but I can't quite grasp it.

I don't think it's an accident that it's there, given Angela is constantly reciting those motivational audiobooks. It implies they understand her psyche well.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Hey for fun here's another connection that doesn't mean anything but, y'know, keeps a canonical lore going.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHrp8rvBLmM

This is when we first hear about the mines in the Congo that Price (it's not Pryce, for the record) talks to Colby about in S2.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Apparently part of the very last scene at the end of next week's episode was just leaked.

From Reddit:

Phillip Price: Your appointment to FEMA should be finalized within the week. I've already discussed the matter with the Senator.

White Rose: I take it he was agreeable?

Phillip Price: He didn't really have a choice.

White Rose: Has he been infected?

Phillip Price: Oh yes, most certainly. When I mentioned we could put him on the priority list for the Ambrosia vaccine, he was so willing it was almost pathetic.

White Rose: This plague -- the rioting is intensifying to the point where we may not be able to contain it.

Phillip Price: Why contain it? Let it spill over into the schools and churches, let the bodies pile up in the streets. In the end, they'll beg us to save them.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Blind Rasputin posted:

Apparently part of the very last scene at the end of next week's episode was just leaked.

From Reddit:

Phillip Price: Your appointment to FEMA should be finalized within the week. I've already discussed the matter with the Senator.

Phillip Price: Oh yes, most certainly. When I mentioned we could put him on the priority list for the Ambrosia vaccine, he was so willing it was almost pathetic.

White Rose: This plague -- the rioting is intensifying to the point where we may not be able to contain it.

Phillip Price: Why contain it? Let it spill over into the schools and churches, let the bodies pile up in the streets. In the end, they'll beg us to save them.

Hell yeah, they are going full Illuminati. There is a world conspiracy to dramatically reduce the world population with a "natural" epidemic and then create a sustainable, stable and prospering post-industrial global society out of the ashes.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

old men are the future

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Blind Rasputin posted:

From Reddit:

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Blind Rasputin posted:

From Reddit:

Bullshit, everyone knows the final line is actually "Why contain it? S'cool."

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I like the theory that they're going to blow up E-Corp's headquarters.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

This show reminds me so much of an old game called "Fate of World" where you play as a global organizations and try to survive climate change and transition to a sustainable global society.

The best way to play is to massively support energy research in North America, brutally bootstrap China into prosperity and then use their economic power to transition them away from oil/coal to natural gas and later renewables/biofuels/nuclear. Also contain the financial industry with a transaction/tobin tax to raise funds and stop them from periodically crashing the world economy. :tinfoil:

Ultra fun fact: it's extremely difficult to save the India region from total ecological and social collapse, so it's best to get the gently caress out of there for 50 years, pray that no nuclear exchange happens, and let them eat themselves. After they are down to 500mio people you can get back in and try to unfuck them.

I think there was even an expansion that added all kinds of Illuminati black-ops poo poo like artificial epidemics, hacking attacks, assassinations and so on.

If you ever wanted to roleplay as Whiterose or Price give it a shot.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

AwkwardKnob posted:

I was thinking it was in the Mr. Robot store back in the early 90s, but I haven't gone back to check.

waitwhatno posted:

The problem with this theory is that cryptocurrencies don't really add anything of value to the world.

The season one plot of erasing all debt was also pretty nonsensical, but at least it made sense on a superficial, emotional level(crippling medical debts are a travesty that shouldn't even exist) and was also a homage to Fight Club.

But bitcoins? What positive effect could that ever have on the world? How does it solve income inequality on a national or international level? How does it stop the abuse of power by large companies or their disproportional influence on political decision making? It's just a very expensive, slow, inefficient and easy exploitable way of cashless payment.

Well I'm not saying that it makes any real sense, but the idea is that Elliot, being a super wizard-class hacker, will be able to directly redistribute wealth in a bitcoin economy in a way that he can't a regular one. So, phase one, create a world where bitcoins are as real and legally binding as real dollars, phase two, untraceably redistribute wealth as he sees fit. Elliot lets ECorp force lobby all these laws legitimizing and validating ECoin, but Price straight up said that he will have a backdoor into every wallet created, that he will control the means of the production. If Elliot has a way to compromise this, he might have a way to completely rob ECorp of their money, and distributed it in a way whose ownership is legally enforceable, due to the very laws ECorp had passed.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

waitwhatno posted:

This show reminds me so much of an old game called "Fate of World" where you play as a global organizations and try to survive climate change and transition to a sustainable global society.

The best way to play is to massively support energy research in North America, brutally bootstrap China into prosperity and then use their economic power to transition them away from oil/coal to natural gas and later renewables/biofuels/nuclear. Also contain the financial industry with a transaction/tobin tax to raise funds and stop them from periodically crashing the world economy. :tinfoil:

Ultra fun fact: it's extremely difficult to save the India region from total ecological and social collapse, so it's best to get the gently caress out of there for 50 years, pray that no nuclear exchange happens, and let them eat themselves. After they are down to 500mio people you can get back in and try to unfuck them.

I think there was even an expansion that added all kinds of Illuminati black-ops poo poo like artificial epidemics, hacking attacks, assassinations and so on.

If you ever wanted to roleplay as Whiterose or Price give it a shot.

This sounds excellent.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Can't the brownouts be explained simply by the fact that it's hard to maintain a reliable power grid if you've got no money or means to pay the staff to maintain it? It's the same as the garbage situation. Why do the brownouts have to mean that something is sapping the power on an otherwise properly operating power grid? When California's energy companies were being financially mismanaged several years ago they did managed rolling blackouts to prevent brownouts from an overloaded system. In the 1970s NYC also famously suffered from brownouts due to a crumbling system that wasn't being properly maintained.

For a show so grounded in reality (aside from Elliot's delusions) where does introducing science fiction elements fit?

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Sep 16, 2016

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
I think most of the science fiction theorizing stems from Whiterose and her secret project at the Washington plant. We've seen plenty of theories grounded in reality, but unless I missed something none of them touch what Whiterose has going on in that plant or why Elliot's dad and Angela's mom died "for the greater good."

The only problem I have with the taking over or destroying the crypto currency is the Dark Army is involved, thus Whiterose is involved, and I don't think she would benefit much from that. Of course we still need to know what she holds so dear at that plant to be sure.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

siggy2021 posted:

I think most of the science fiction theorizing stems from Whiterose and her secret project at the Washington plant. We've seen plenty of theories grounded in reality, but unless I missed something none of them touch what Whiterose has going on in that plant or why Elliot's dad and Angela's mom died "for the greater good."

The only problem I have with the taking over or destroying the crypto currency is the Dark Army is involved, thus Whiterose is involved, and I don't think she would benefit much from that. Of course we still need to know what she holds so dear at that plant to be sure.

It depends on what the plan actually is. If Mr. Robot and Whiterose are trying to engine some kind of global wealth redistribution, hundreds of millions of impoverished Chinese people could stand to benefit. Also if Whiterose and Mr. Robot are allied, there's no reason that Whiterose wouldn't be protected from whatever wealth redistribution is being planned.

And to be clear, I don't think that simply destroying crypotcurrency is the plan at all. I think they want to use it. I think that right now they could hack a bank or two, or an investment firm or two, or even a government, but with ECoin, and Price claiming to have a backdoor into every wallet, they want to be able to access the entire world economy, not to destroy it, but to reshape it.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
If the plant's a thorium reactor, I'm going to lose it

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Accretionist posted:

If the plant's a thorium reactor, I'm going to lose it

Maybe it's just a giant bitcoin mining facility.

edit: Also, I really like the idea of Elliot "switching places" with Mr. Robot as a thing they could do in Season 3. Having Elliot taking over in the middle of Mr. Robot's plans etc. Could be a neat twist on a dynamic that is in danger of getting stale. I really thought they were doing something interesting with it at the beginning of the season, but it seems to have gone back to "Mr. Robot doing plans behind Elliot's back constantly".

Snak fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Sep 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe they're trying to develop a Grays Sports Almanac in a secret bunker.

• Locked thread