Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Another bad coincidence that kind of turned into a running goof was We Hate Movies telling listeners "don't worry about Paul Walker" during the She's All That episode like 2 months before he died in a horrible car crash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beeman
May 7, 2008

i just listened to high and mighty for the first time (hayes davenport ep). it seems good. i dunno why it took me so long to check out. i think gabrus is pretty great on CBB

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

beeman posted:

i just listened to high and mighty for the first time (hayes davenport ep). it seems good. i dunno why it took me so long to check out. i think gabrus is pretty great on CBB

I dunno. It's pretty hit and miss. I remember the gambling one being interesting and the power hours being pretty ridiculous. I forget most of em.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
The recent Nicole Byer episode was great, and the episodes on Schwarzenegger / JCVD / Segal movies are all great if you love those movies.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Is this the right thread to bring up The Last Podcast on the Left because holy poo poo it is insane.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

MariusLecter posted:

Is this the right thread to bring up The Last Podcast on the Left because holy poo poo it is insane.

If that show didn't have Ben Kissel on it it'd be great. But boy he just sucks the funny right out of the room

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Riptor posted:

If that show didn't have Ben Kissel on it it'd be great. But boy he just sucks the funny right out of the room

How you're able to say that when Henry Zubrowski is on that podcast, I have no idea. When he starts SHOUTING like a LOW RENT CHRIS FARLEY AH AH AH BAH GAH about some REALLY LAME IRONIC RACIST JOKE, it makes me want to scream. Ben is... Kinda unfunny. Henry can even be funny when he is a bit less worked up, but when he starts gabbling and stumbling over his own words, he pretty much is never funny.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Yeah I see your point and Henry's shtick needs to be dialed back significantly but I think he actually does have pretty solid comedic instincts. Ben meanwhile seems like he's half listening and then steps over actual comedy with a horrendous dadjoke that got a laugh from like, lindsey graham on fox news one time

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
You're right. That's exactly why I tried and immediately stopped listening to Abe Lincoln's Top Hat. But I'd rather he stay sleepy and reacting to Henry and Marcus than be the focus of the show. He's not quite so bad there.

Isn't there a standard belief in comedy that you spend a period of time mimicing someone you like? That's what I feel Zubrowski is doing with his lovely Chris Farley routine. The dude has gotten way better since the beginning of the podcast, and the only other good comedians-covering-serial-killers podcast is My Favorite Murder. They pretty well stay away from doing heavy hitters and big events, so it's LPotL or nothing if you like treating horrific poo poo with comedy.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Man Zebrowski is the only thing funny on that podcast. Kissel is dead weight a lot of the times, but he lays off a lot lately so it's fine.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Also yeah I'm down with people talking about it more because it's my favorite podcast I think, despite its flaws.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
I tried LPOTL and found it be a louder, more obnoxious Dollop. While they cover more macabre topics, which initially caught my interest, I really can't stand the hosts.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Took me a long time to get into Last Podcast, but I can now say that there's nothing I love more in the world of podcasting than their murderer episodes. Almost every story works out to a great pace and covers every minute detail while still making it interesting, and I love their sincere reactions to the horrific stuff they're talking about, especially Marcus who you can tell goes into an emotionally dark place for weeks while researching particularly awful topics. They also draw surprisingly convincing conclusions for how much Henry and Marcus are conspiracy nuts, like the insistence that Albert Fish wasn't a cannibal and that the Menedez brothers weren't molested, and back them up with enough facts that I usually agree with them. Even though Ben seems like he's not even present except when reacting to someone else's bit (you can even see him playing a textbook straight man in most episodes) and most of Henry's bits don't really land anywhere, it never gets more than an eye roll out of me now that I'm used to their brand of humor. I don't even really think of it as a comedy show, just an entertaining murderer infodump that's occasionally funny.

That said, I couldn't make it through the constant racist accents in the Leonard Lake & Charles Ng episodes (an issue that was noted and corrected in the excellent Aum Shinrikyo episodes), and I tried to listen to an episode on the worst ways to die and after every one, Henry's joke was some slight variant on "I bet that's someone's fetish!" so I haven't listened to a non-murder episode since. I'm trying to give other episodes a shot recently, hopefully I'll find more to love than hate about them.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
Is there a consensus top couple of episodes I should use to audition that show?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea I'm willing to give it another go if you can gimmie some good ones to try out. I listened before and Zebrowski was annoying enough to kill my interest but if there's one where he's especially interesting/funny I'll give it a shot.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
I feel like I had to just grit my teeth until I built up a Zebrowski tolerance, but if you want to see him not even trying to be funny, the 9/11 episodes are devastating as all the hosts are life-long New Yorkers with personal 9/11 experiences. That series was crushingly bleak even for me, though, so it might not be a good intro.

The other issue with getting into the show is that the best episodes are multi-parters so it requires a bit of an investment. I recall Richard Ramirez's episodes being particularly strong, but all the Heavy Hitters (Bundy, BTK, Gary Ridgway, Ed Kemper, etc.) are of roughly equal quality (just avoid Son of Sam and Leonard Lake/Charles Ng for excessive racist non-jokes).

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Yeah as other have said any big known serial killer is good and well researched, so probably start there. If you don't like those then I doubt you're going to like the podcast at all. Maybe start with the Henry Lee Lucas eps. So much of it is absurd lies by the guy so the cops would keep giving him cigarettes and coffee during his confessions, it's pretty great.

And for the record I found the Son of Sam one to be pretty funny, especially the parts where Marcus was trying to get Henry to walk back his impression of him: "Do you ever want to work again?"

Non serial killer eps I personally liked:

Episode 208: David Bowie and the Occult
Episode 78: Lord RayEl: The Messiah Has Arrived
Episode 178: Columbine Part One - The Myth and Episode 179: Columbine Part Two - Creations, Exploitations, and Cover-Ups

edit: the Columbine eps were one's I avoided for a long time because I felt like it would just make me feel bad, but they lay out some pretty good arguments against the "nerds and outcasts pushed to the breaking point" narrative the media pushed right after it was happening.

edit2: also in defense of Ben Kissel: I think you need him on there because without him there there'd be no one present that doesn't literally believe in magic

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Sep 16, 2016

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Fiendly posted:

That said, I couldn't make it through the constant racist accents in the Leonard Lake & Charles Ng episodes (an issue that was noted and corrected in the excellent Aum Shinrikyo episodes), and I tried to listen to an episode on the worst ways to die and after every one, Henry's joke was some slight variant on "I bet that's someone's fetish!" so I haven't listened to a non-murder episode since. I'm trying to give other episodes a shot recently, hopefully I'll find more to love than hate about them.

Yea, I'm working my way backwards and JUST got to the Leonard Lake and Charles Ng eps after posting here.
Oh God. Henry. No. Stop. Please. I say as Henry slits my throat and dismembers me with his Charles Ng voice.
"He died a virgin." he writes my parents.

I'm giving him SOOOO much leeway with his bits cause of how much I love Your Pretty Face is Going to Hell.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

MariusLecter posted:

Yea, I'm working my way backwards and JUST got to the Leonard Lake and Charles Ng eps after posting here.
Oh God. Henry. No. Stop. Please. I say as Henry slits my throat and dismembers me with his Charles Ng voice.
"He died a virgin." he writes my parents.

I'm giving him SOOOO much leeway with his bits cause of how much I love Your Pretty Face is Going to Hell.

Those were pretty bad. Wait until you get to the Son of Sam episode. Henry needs to chill.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Now I'm very worried about the Bodega Boys' Viceland contract :ohdear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxKtH5OnxI4

It's a 45 minute video, but the long and short is a popular youtuber actually looked at the contract Viceland sent him, and it's the kind of 'please sign without reading, you trust us, right?' exploitive bullshit you'd get from a company known for ripping off freelancers.

Highlights include 10% of all current and future revenue streams in perpetuity, content control, auditing power, all for $1500/episode with no commission!

Forum Hussy
Feb 8, 2005
They've been on various MTV shows for a few years so I assume they have representation that would look over all that stuff, but yeah that's kind of lovely but not really surprising from Vice.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

A cool game to play is to pretend Pete Holmes is saying "Jesus" every time he says "Ramdas." Wouldn't surprise me if that's how his friends described him in 1999.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

The High and Mighty podcast about 90s tv shows it literally just Gabrus and Amir going "remember this?" and it is great. Of course Gabrus loved WMAC Masters, just like me.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

GoutPatrol posted:

The High and Mighty podcast about 90s tv shows it literally just Gabrus and Amir going "remember this?" and it is great. Of course Gabrus loved WMAC Masters, just like me.

I friend of mine told me about WMAC masters a few years ago and I was super bummed I didn't know about it as a kid

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

I love how he mentioned Ian Karmel is basically the not-racist West Coast version of him. I started listening to All Fantasy Everything and he's just as enthusiastic as Gabrus is but with a lisp.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

The first post-election Smartest Man in the World is supposed to drop today, but so far there's no sign of the new episode

I couldn't bear to listen to last week's episode because Proops was sounding so confident about a Clinton victory :ohdear:

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
As someone who would have preferred if Hillary had won the election, Proops was so insufferably pro-Clinton that I'm going to listen just to hear how crushed he is.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

FBS posted:

The first post-election Smartest Man in the World is supposed to drop today, but so far there's no sign of the new episode

I couldn't bear to listen to last week's episode because Proops was sounding so confident about a Clinton victory :ohdear:

I'm in the same boat. I didn't listen to the last on because I assumed it was post election. I can't imagine what the next episode will be like. I suppose it depends partially if he recorded it live or at home.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

FBS posted:

Listening to Never Not Funny with Brian Huskey, which was recorded the morning of election day, was like getting another punch to the gut. I also just listened to the CBB recorded at Now Hear This and it has Gino talking about how very soon those we're gonna throw the Mexican attendees over the wall and it was so depressing. There is this two week gap of podcasts coming out that were so confident and it hurts me to listen. I deleted Proop's show from before the election because I know it would hurt too much to actually listen.

Mst3kmann
Aug 8, 2005

FOREST WHITAKER EYE

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

As someone who would have preferred if Hillary had won the election, Proops was so insufferably pro-Clinton that I'm going to listen just to hear how crushed he is.

Listened to the episode, and his reaction was to blame everybody else except, you know, Hillary herself. It started off as a typical episode for a while, but once he compared Trump to his abusive father (which I'm not even sure if he's talked about on stage before), it was off to the races.

If you're looking for any sort of introspection or humility after losing, you won't find it.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Mst3kmann posted:

Listened to the episode, and his reaction was to blame everybody else except, you know, Hillary herself. It started off as a typical episode for a while, but once he compared Trump to his abusive father (which I'm not even sure if he's talked about on stage before), it was off to the races.

If you're looking for any sort of introspection or humility after losing, you won't find it.

I don't know if he talked about his father being abusive, but he did sound distant and the only way he and Greg got along was by going to baseball games.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I like the Dana Gould Hour a lot but I didn't listen to the last "we got perspectives from the left, and the right" episode and I'm sure as poo poo not listening to this one.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.

Drunkboxer posted:

I like the Dana Gould Hour a lot but I didn't listen to the last "we got perspectives from the left, and the right" episode and I'm sure as poo poo not listening to this one.

I listened to a 50 minute commute worth, and you're not missing much. Love the show, Dana, but I'll hear you at Christmastime.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
The quality of any given Dana Gould Hour episode can be determined by whether or not Eddie Pepitone is a guest.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Is it still edited in that really grating way where every segment ends on laughter prompted by something Dana said?

Mst3kmann
Aug 8, 2005

FOREST WHITAKER EYE
Dana's "I can get along with both sides" schtick would have more weight if he didn't have the same token Republican every time, although Mike Murphy was actually relevant in this case considering he ran Jeb's Super PAC, and thus, thoroughly got his rear end beat by Trump.

I definitely wish he would have gotten Dave Anthony for this as well, but who knows if he'd even be willing to do it.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Drunkboxer posted:

I mean it helps that he has a sane right winger for a friend. Granted I haven't listened to this one yet but in the past the dude seems amicable enough and living in reality.

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

There are a million reasons to ruin things.

Ches Neckbeard posted:

I mean it helps that he has a sane right winger for a friend. Granted I haven't listened to this one yet but in the past the dude seems amicable enough and living in reality.

I kinda thought the same way as you but it was really frustrating to listen as the guy kept peppering in some really horrible distortions and lies and Dana either didn't know enough to challenge him on it or didn't want to be confrontational with his sane right-wing friend.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Does Dana still do the thing where he points out that he's a very mature adult because he has a conservative friend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Mst3kmann posted:

Dana's "I can get along with both sides" schtick would have more weight if he didn't have the same token Republican every time, although Mike Murphy was actually relevant in this case considering he ran Jeb's Super PAC, and thus, thoroughly got his rear end beat by Trump.

I definitely wish he would have gotten Dave Anthony for this as well, but who knows if he'd even be willing to do it.

Dave doesn't seem to be the type to have a nice civil debate with a right winger. I think he'd rather spit in their eye. and he'd be right to do it.

• Locked thread