Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Thanks for losing Cardinals!

Anyone have any idea when the NLDS drawing is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

Nail Rat posted:

Thanks for losing Cardinals!

Anyone have any idea when the NLDS drawing is?

Right now

https://securea.mlb.com/chc/ticketing/postseason-ticket-opportunity/

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

That's not the drawing that's the signup for the drawing(s)

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc
The Jays are just positioning themselves in a wildcard spot so that they can play the Rangers in the ALDS again. (This would own)

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Nail Rat posted:

That's not the drawing that's the signup for the drawing(s)

The legalese tells you when the drawing is (or in this case that they haven't picked a date yet)

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

CubsWoo posted:

A surprise narrator has a message for you

https://twitter.com/Cubs/status/776646530140823552

who was the surprise narrator

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

IcePhoenix posted:

who was the surprise narrator

Kyle Schwarber, with some idiot fans speculating that it means he may come off the DL and join the playoff roster

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

oh, that would be kinda neat

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Sneak preview of October:

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

CubsWoo posted:

The legalese tells you when the drawing is (or in this case that they haven't picked a date yet)

Yes, that would be why I asked, because someone might remember the timeline from last year. As in, was the drawing not until a week before the NLDS or did they have the drawing on the Friday after the signups end (which is on a Wednesday for the NLDS) or whatever.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Results of Cubs playoff seasons since I have been old enough to understand what was going on:

1989 - Lost NLCS 4-1
1998 - Lost NLDS 3-0
2003 - Lost NLCS 4-3
2007 - Lost NLDS 3-0
2008 - Lost NLDS 3-0
2015 - Lost NLCS 4-0

Look at all them sweeps! Unbelievable that the "best" result was the 2003 clusterfuck collapse.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

beejay posted:

Results of Cubs playoff seasons since I have been old enough to understand what was going on:

1989 - Lost NLCS 4-1
1998 - Lost NLDS 3-0
2003 - Lost NLCS 4-3
2007 - Lost NLDS 3-0
2008 - Lost NLDS 3-0
2015 - Lost NLCS 4-0

Look at all them sweeps! Unbelievable that the "best" result was the 2003 clusterfuck collapse.

What was hilariously sad about the '98 NLDS was how the broadcast team hyped Mark Grace's post-season stats entering the series. This was thanks to 5 games that were played almost 10 seasons earlier. Then he hit .167 in that series.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
https://twitter.com/cemma670/status/776649710098677760

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

beejay posted:

1989 - Lost NLCS 4-1
1998 - Lost NLDS 3-0
2003 - Lost NLCS 4-3
2007 - Lost NLDS 3-0
2008 - Lost NLDS 3-0
2015 - Lost NLCS 4-0

89: Clearly inferior team to SF
98: Clearly far inferior team to ATL
03: Maybe don't have 4 of your starters throw 200+ innings and 3 of them 210+ in the regular season
07: Yeah they beefed this one, starting with "we pulled Z early to save him for Game 4"
08: Yup this one too, and boy oh boy did I hate the Wrigley crowd for turning the place into a tomb at the first sign of trouble
15: Young strikeout prone team runs into amazing spread of power arms and the emotion runs out

But we can look at the 6 playoff runs the Red Sox had before 2004 too! They actually had a worse win% in those 6 prior runs than the Cubs (.257 vs. .306)

1988 - Lost ALCS 4-0 to Oakland
1990 - Lost ALCS 4-0 to Oakland
1995 - Lost ALDS 3-0 to Cleveland
1998 - Lost ALDS 3-1 to Cleveland
1999 - Won ALDS 3-2 over Cleveland, lost ALCS 4-1 to New York
2003 - Won ALDS 3-2 over Oakland, lost ALCS 4-3 to New York

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
Catch the excitement of really loving slow pitches tonight when RA Dickey and the Blue Jays take on Jered Weaver and the Angels!!!

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
http://www.newyorker.com/news/sporting-scene/the-most-pleasing-campaign-of-2016

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Good Dog posted:

Catch the excitement of really loving slow pitches tonight when RA Dickey and the Blue Jays take on Jered Weaver and the Angels!!!

The only difference will be that some of Dickey's pitches actually have movement.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Julio Cruz posted:

The only difference will be that some of Dickey's pitches actually have movement.

Weaver's poo poo moves too, it's the only reason he's giving up 2 HR/9 instead of like 8. Yeah he still sucks in the end but it's really remarkable what he's been able to do this year when you consider what he has left to work with

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Weaver's poo poo moves too, it's the only reason he's giving up 2 HR/9 instead of like 8. Yeah he still sucks in the end but it's really remarkable what he's been able to do this year when you consider what he has left to work with

Weaver is what every player should aspire to be: the crafty veteran. He throws 4-seam, 2-seam, no-seam and BP fastballs that all have slightly different movements on them. They all get hit hard but they do move slightly different.

I think more stadiums should install rock piles.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Every player should aspire to be either a physically freakish demigod or a jovial fatso. No in between.

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

elentar posted:

Every player should aspire to be either a physically freakish demigod or a jovial fatso. No in between.

Yep, nothing worse than a basic white guy

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

beejay posted:

1989 - Lost NLCS 4-1
1998 - Lost NLDS 3-0
2003 - Lost NLCS 4-3
2007 - Lost NLDS 3-0
2008 - Lost NLDS 3-0
2015 - Lost NLCS 4-0

Hey, at least the '84 series was close. And it was part of a very special Punky Brewster episode, where she learns about the evils of scalping.

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly
Didn't they sell her tickets to the games the last time the Cubs were in the World Series in that episode?

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Dingleberry Jones posted:

Didn't they sell her tickets to the games the last time the Cubs were in the World Series in that episode?

Kinda.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peoOu83Z0DM&t=173s

The urge to :goonsay: the poo poo out of that line is hard to ignore.

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?
Freddie Freeman can't play baseball tonight, he helped make a person.

https://twitter.com/chelseafree5/status/776906835722993664?s=09

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

God knows we needed another one of those things

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

TheChaosPath posted:

God knows we needed another one of those things

I assumed Punky Brewster chat would be the most esoteric thing on this page of the MLB Discussion thread, but here we are with some Antinatalism, why not.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Kershaw is the hero we deserve

https://twitter.com/dodgers/status/776963704021712896

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

LaRussa going to retaliate.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
Jon Daniels acquired Jonathan Lucroy, Carlos Beltran & Carlos Gomez for the stretch run. They've contributed 21 HR, 70 RBI.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

Jon Daniels acquired Jonathan Lucroy, Carlos Beltran & Carlos Gomez for the stretch run. They've contributed 21 HR, 70 RBI.

It is nice to have deals work out (glares meaningfully at former garbage Cubs rentals)

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

It is nice to have deals work out (glares meaningfully at former garbage Cubs rentals)

Hey, those deals worked out great! Well, for the side I care about.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I will always love RA Dickey, I don't care about the trade, he was and is a cool and good dude.

As a real thing, he makes it easy to cheer for sports because he's exactly what he says he is, and I wish more people did the things he did, regarldess of results on the diamond/ice/pitch/field whatever.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Thanks for Hendricks :v:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Thanks to those trades whenever I see Matt Garza's name I turn purple and pass out for a few hours. Biggest waste of time in forever.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Sydin posted:

Thanks for Hendricks :v:

I actually don't care about having traded him at all considering he was a longshot to even make the bigs at the time. I just wish we had actually paid up for Greinke instead of settling for Ryan "Flaming Dogshit" Dempster

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

there's nothing in the world sadder than that mascot attempting to salvage the brutal handshake sonning by doing a handshake fakeout hair comb of his own, but it's clearly late and he has clearly been owned and now needs to be put down.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

MassaShowtime posted:

I will always love RA Dickey, I don't care about the trade, he was and is a cool and good dude.

As a real thing, he makes it easy to cheer for sports because he's exactly what he says he is, and I wish more people did the things he did, regarldess of results on the diamond/ice/pitch/field whatever.

The only thing I don't like about RA Dickey is that he's a Star Wars nerd.

iKickDogs
Aug 31, 2001

MassaShowtime posted:

The Mets won the NL in part because of that trade, but my favorite part of the postseason was RA Dickey celebrating the Jays ALDS win with the fans:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UDT99z7SIw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
N: https://twitter.com/Boomskie/status/777237270386642944

V: lackeyfuck.gif

• Locked thread