Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Farking Bastage posted:

A recent version of RouterOS would randomly and unfixably poo poo all your GRE tunnels.

HAHAHA! I'm glad I don't have to deal with that now. I would be loving livid.

:bsdsnype:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Sepist posted:

That's surprising, the 6500 is one of the most bullet proof devices cisco ever made. I've seen them sitting around for 14 years running catOS before a fan dies (which of course requires downtime because the someone ran the cables to both sides covering the fan module).

There's probably more outages weekly caused by the POS that is the nexus brand than 6500 outages ever.

This. I've literally never had issues with a 6500 chassis with redundant sups. What was the bug in particular? I have seen an instance where someone had redundant sups but never bothered to enter the two lines required in order to turn on SSO. Eventually the primary fell over and welp.

I currently have an undiagnosed bug with an ASA that is inserting strange mysterious static routes in its own routing table seemingly at random to route the connected MPLS interface subnet towards the outside interface, breaking all MPLS bound traffic when it does so. Cisco wanted me to setup a local syslog server (which normally is over the MPLS) so I could get logs as they couldn't figure out what the gently caress with the tech support files.

Instead of doing all of that I put in this beautiful route to the MPLS network next hop:

code:
route mpls 10.176.255.1 255.255.255.255 10.176.255.1 1
which seems to have prevented it from breaking itself ever since :v: The Cisco guy seemed a little salty that I just slapped a lovely bandaid on it and called it good, but eh I don't want to setup another syslog server so go find some other customer to be your bug testing environment.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Sep 16, 2016

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
It's not your job to be Cisco's QA/bug testing team, screw them.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

heh We ran into some really weird mikrotik problems at my last job.
Like VPN traffic being transmitted out of order, ports randomly disabling themselves...

I remember some real good ones with the CCR and RB2011
You plug in a usb and the router shits itself.
It wouldn't boot unless something was trying to PoE - turned out to be a lovely power supply.
The IPSEC tunnel would get pissy and just drop all packets. You couldn't restore it until after you rebooted ALL of the endpoints.

It got even worse after I posted that. We ran into 3 bugs:

DHCP ACK/OFFER for phones were being dropped by the firewall - fixed by disabling hardware offload
CAPWAP discovery responses would get dropped by the firewall - fixed by disabling hardware offload and a reload
DHCP ACK/OFFER for clients were being dropped by the firewall - Had to failover to the secondary unit, no amount of disables would fix this one

Apparently the hardware accelerated FIB (don't know the real term) become corrupt for some routes somehow and persist through reboots, and for the last one they don't even know WTF.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Farking Bastage posted:

I'd like to extend a personal gently caress YOU to apple for killing PPTP in MacOS and making me reconfigure all 60-ish VPN routers I have.

PPTP has been considered broken from a security standpoint for many years now. This is a good thing. You shouldn't be using it.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

wolrah posted:

PPTP has been considered broken from a security standpoint for many years now. This is a good thing. You shouldn't be using it.
You'd think!

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Farking Bastage posted:

I'd like to extend a personal gently caress YOU to apple for killing PPTP in MacOS and making me reconfigure all 60-ish VPN routers I have.

So you've been running an insecure VPN solution for your users? Think of this as a lesson in actually securing your network (which is your job and probably aren't doing properly at that) and not causing problems later on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWXP3DvH8OQ

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Farking Bastage posted:

I mean, maybe you should've reconfigured them 4 years ago?

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

:stare:

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Ugh I have a relative who has been running PPTP to their old DD-WRT router with mac clients. It's just a 3 person business but I expect I'll be getting that phone call and do not look forward to trying to upgrade the stupid thing.

Last time I was there I tried changing it but there was some kind of bug in OpenVPN on the current version of DD-WRT and I threw up my hands rather than gently caress with it. Has anyone gotten that working or am I better off just getting them to buy something like a 5506x? It comes with two licenses which would be enough.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Ugh I have a relative who has been running PPTP to their old DD-WRT router with mac clients. It's just a 3 person business but I expect I'll be getting that phone call and do not look forward to trying to upgrade the stupid thing.

Last time I was there I tried changing it but there was some kind of bug in OpenVPN on the current version of DD-WRT and I threw up my hands rather than gently caress with it. Has anyone gotten that working or am I better off just getting them to buy something like a 5506x? It comes with two licenses which would be enough.

I had an issue with my previous router and DD-WRT not running OpenVPN properly, if you figure it out let me know.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

MF_James posted:

I had an issue with my previous router and DD-WRT not running OpenVPN properly, if you figure it out let me know.

gently caress

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
The only thing I ever think of when I hear PPTP.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Colonial Air Force posted:

The only thing I ever think of when I hear PPTP.

:wtc:

also as I am about to have a baby boy in 2 months, this is surprisingly relevant to my interests

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Farking Bastage posted:

Good, stop using insecure garbage.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Docjowles posted:

:wtc:

also as I am about to have a baby boy in 2 months, this is surprisingly relevant to my interests

It happens. A lot.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

CrazyLittle posted:

It happens. A lot.

Yeah, so I hear. Our first was a girl and while that comes with many other challenges, "literally getting pee sprayed on your face at every diaper change" was not one of them.

So I am 100% seriously interested in these goofy rear end things :)

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Docjowles posted:

Yeah, so I hear. Our first was a girl and while that comes with many other challenges, "literally getting pee sprayed on your face at every diaper change" was not one of them.

So I am 100% seriously interested in these goofy rear end things :)
It's okay, without knowing how to roll back to belly he'll figure out how to flip himself 360 degrees to get this thing off as he's pissing at fire extinguisher velocity

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

CrazyLittle posted:

It happens. A lot.

The pptp barely helps. It redirects the stream into a cone that fires downward in every direction for a few seconds until it's blasted off, then you still get soaked in humiliation.

The true key is to have the new diaper ready as a shield. But even then, nothing will ever prepare you for the moment the poo poo-cannon goes off. Submit yourself to the eventual horror now.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Sepist posted:

Apparently the hardware accelerated FIB (don't know the real term) become corrupt for some routes somehow and persist through reboots, and for the last one they don't even know WTF.

Problems with the hardware acceleration have presented in various forms and bugs since like 2010.
Which ironically is about the same time they announced that they would no longer be developing OpenVPN in favor of SSTP.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Working in IT: Everything is bad in different ways

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Back on topic, WiFi anyone?

I'm running a Meraki eval of one of their routers with wifi built-in (for a small biz customer of mine) and lol, the auto-channel selection clearly chose badly.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Fudge posted:

Well, nslookup just won't function if the DNS server isn't reachable. Which is weird because you're saying you can still ping devices with just their IPs. How many DCs do you have? Are all of these devices domain-joined?

And when you say Windows do you mean just the native Windows VPN client? I had to google it - do you have a VPN set up on a machine on your network and you're doing port forwarding from a firewall or something by any chance?

When I say I can ping, I also mean that I can also access file shares or rdp into any other machine on the network, but only by IP address. Neither short names or fqdn's resolve due to dns timeout.

Everything is domain joined. There is one onsite dc, and two offsite.

Yea, we are using the built in Windows Vpn client. The vpn is managed by our meraki, but authenticates with AD.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Are you provisioning VPN clients with DNS servers in the IKE payload/L2TP? If you tracert to those DNS servers from your client, does the route look like you'd expect it to?

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

The Fool posted:

When I say I can ping, I also mean that I can also access file shares or rdp into any other machine on the network, but only by IP address. Neither short names or fqdn's resolve due to dns timeout.

Yea, we are using the built in Windows Vpn client. The vpn is managed by our meraki, but authenticates with AD.

We run meraki without any issues.

What subnets do you have in your network? Are you split tunneling?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I'm trying to help a friend with a website issue.

Old website is
www.example.com
New website is
www.example.org

When you type example.com into the address bar it redirects to www.example.org
When you type www.example.com it doesn't redirect.

Any idea on what I need to say to the hosting provider to get them to fix this?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I'm trying to help a friend with a website issue.

Old website is
www.example.com
New website is
www.example.org

When you type example.com into the address bar it redirects to www.example.org
When you type www.example.com it doesn't redirect.

Any idea on what I need to say to the hosting provider to get them to fix this?
Probably a CNAME, but maybe a 301/302 redirect. Depends on how the example.org server is configured. Is the DNS entry for example.com a CNAME record for www.example.org, or is it an A record to an IP address? You can use a tool like nslookup or dig to tell you.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Assuming the DNS is resolving to the correct server, it sounds like someone has forgotten to write the redirect rule to cover the www. subdomain.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Thanks Ants posted:

Assuming the DNS is resolving to the correct server, it sounds like someone has forgotten to write the redirect rule to cover the https://www. subdomain.

I was kinda thinking that based on what I saw by googling.
I've never done this aspect of IT.

.htaccess isn't publicly viewable, is it?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I was kinda thinking that based on what I saw by googling.
I've never done this aspect of IT.

.htaccess isn't publicly viewable, is it?
Not if the server is configured correctly.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I think you guys zeroed in on the problem.
They're clearly making changes right now. You guys are the best!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I cannot help but giggle and not take seriously anyone who says "whack" instead of "backslash".

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

CLAM DOWN posted:

I cannot help but giggle and not take seriously anyone who says "whack" instead of "backslash".

My references say the correct term is 'backslat'
http://www.muppetlabs.com/~breadbox/intercal-man/tonsila.html

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

Be careful about that if you go to New York, someone might backslash you.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

The Fool posted:

I'd run Wireshark on a client and the DC. Solved a problem with it today where McAfee firewall was blocking all UDP traffic to a physical VM host with a DC on it :laugh: Helped me narrow it down because the packets were going out and there was no UDP traffic on the DC

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
Those Mikrotik PPTP setups weren't my call :( I just have to change it now in the middle of a total shitstorm.

e: holy loving avatar

Farking Bastage fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Sep 16, 2016

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Also if I'm not mistaken Meraki devices have some native packet capture feature

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Farking Bastage posted:

Man, people are ready to throw cash at lowtax at the drop of a hat.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Judge Schnoopy posted:

The pptp barely helps. It redirects the stream into a cone that fires downward in every direction for a few seconds until it's blasted off, then you still get soaked in humiliation.

The true key is to have the new diaper ready as a shield. But even then, nothing will ever prepare you for the moment the poo poo-cannon goes off. Submit yourself to the eventual horror now.

Remove diaper, blow air at them quickly or wipe them with a wet wipe and immediately put the diaper back on before they pee. It's the shock of the temperature change.

Nothing you can do about the poo poo cannon though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Farking Bastage posted:

Those Mikrotik PPTP setups weren't my call :( I just have to change it now in the middle of a total shitstorm.

On the plus side, you end up with a better setup when it's done. Sucks if it wasn't under your control until it became your problem to solve though.

Congrats on getting someone to spend :10bux: over a single post, usually that takes a few pages of back and forth argument. It's not like you defended using PPTP, just bitched about having to change it.