Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I have never played a 3D sonic game with controls that didn't give me a heart attack every 3 minutes because the character on screen abruptly went flying off in a direction I barely intended them to turn towards, often off a cliff

Shadow the hedgehog was easily the worst in this regard, and sonic 06 was exceptionally bad, but the adventures definitely had this happen constantly too

I'm not sure how well the unleashed/colors/generations controls were, because I did not own any consoles those were on for a very long time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

The problem with Lost World? The players. :troll:

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011

Xad posted:

Further proving that Europeans are wrong about everything.

Like, my first exposure to Sonic 3 and Knuckles was the Windows 95 port that had replaced music for some levels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bO47alrxZIk

Sure, that's what I grew up with, but holy poo poo it's terrible MIDI garbage and the real BGM is sooo much better.

EDIT: Okay after checking, EVERY level had MIDI/FM version of their music, but some levels (Ice Cap, Carnival Night, Launch Base) had their music completely rewritten due to copyright issues.

Yeah the replaced music is kinda bleh but when you have the right hardware and OS you can get some great results.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr6s--5_nuw

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I remember being really excited when Sonic X got announced in Japan and even downloading a lovely RealPlayer or Quicktime version of the undubbed pilot. I remember the scene with Sonic racing that car was really awesome. But once I found out that the main character was some dumb human kid I checked out. I always hated hated hated the surrogate audience member character in these shows. Nobody gives a poo poo about the human kids in Transformers, and nobody gives a poo poo about the kid in Sonic X.

Years later in community college, I joined the film club and we were pitching ideas for a movie and someone pitched a movie where Sonic and pals come to the real world and had human forms. I left after that first session and no movie was made that year.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

elf help book posted:

It is a lot of neat ideas, but they are all done poorly. Many of those ideas are also never explained so many players probably never realize the multihit homing attacks work and wonder why a boss dies in two hits or don't use the kick because why does Sonic have a kick? And even if you know they're there, they aren't very satisfying to use. It's a bizarre game that constantly feels like you're playing it wrong.

It took me a very long time to kill the big red monster boss at the end of the game because the multi-lock on mechanic which was required to damage him was never explained or required ever in the game. I think I may have had to look it up online :negative:

In the end I accepted it as my comeuppance for constantly bashing all the dorks who couldn't defeat Senator Armstrong because of the blade mode section lol

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

beep by grandpa posted:

It took me a very long time to kill the big red monster boss at the end of the game because the multi-lock on mechanic which was required to damage him was never explained or required ever in the game. I think I may have had to look it up online :negative:

Same here, it was a pretty embarassing battle to witness and I was playing it with noone watching.

ninjewtsu posted:

I have never played a 3D sonic game with controls that didn't give me a heart attack every 3 minutes because the character on screen abruptly went flying off in a direction I barely intended them to turn towards, often off a cliff

Shadow the hedgehog was easily the worst in this regard, and sonic 06 was exceptionally bad, but the adventures definitely had this happen constantly too

I'm not sure how well the unleashed/colors/generations controls were, because I did not own any consoles those were on for a very long time

You'd love Heroes. Also Sonic 06 controls were WAY worse than in Shadow. At least in Shadow it was a pretty consistent shittiness, while in 06 every time you switch characters, it changes, and there are problems with every character. Plus the controls get worse due to the physics.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.
^Actually the multi-targeting is explained, I believe near the start of the game when you encounter the giant pink Caterkillers. Can't blame anyone for missing it though, and even that didn't help me against Zavok because once I reached him I didn't realize just how many target reticules I could trigger at once so I kept attacking before it was actually maxed out. So in my case I had to watch a video to see the proper execution of the strategy I was already using.

Spergatory posted:

So, kind of an odd question: can anyone tell me exactly what was wrong with Lost World? I've never played it, but looking at videos of it, it actually seems to have a lot of neat ideas. The parkour stuff looks pretty cool and is an interesting use of Sonic's speed (using spindash to climb a sheer wall, for example). It looks like when you homing attack you have the option to hit multiple enemies or kick one enemy in a given direction, which seems like it could have a lot of neat implications. Was it just the level design? The controls? The story? Whatever it was, unlike 06 and Boom, it's really not obvious just from watching videos of the game.

Oh boy, :words: inbound!

-Lost World's biggest sin is probably that it didn't build off the boost based gameplay of its predecessors, which immediately turned some people off
-For the first time in the series it had a run button, which I pretty much just kept held down the entire time. I always thought the game would have better benefited from a walk button instead.
-Parkour felt really weird, and was tied to having the run button held down. It always felt like it took a bit too long to start up and things like wall running never seemed to have much speed so I kept feeling like I was about to fall off at any moment. Again, I think a better implementation would have been auto-parkour which could be disabled by holding down a walk button.
-In-game tutorials were horribly implemented. Literally every Sonic game prior to this had explanations scattered about the field which a player could trigger by touching and listening to the voice actor's explanation. In Lost World all the tutorials are a brief pop up on the GamePad that the player needs to notice, stop, and touch. And if you run past the area that triggered the pop up then you won't be able to read anymore unless you can turn around and walk back. This issue leads directly into the next point...
-The controls are very complex, moreso than most other Sonic games. You have two jump buttons, both of which do a double jump, except one of them is used for the homing attack if enemies are nearby. It would have been more intuitive if one always did a jump dash/homing attack and the other always did a double jump. Then you have the run button, the parkour, spindashing, kicking, multi-targeting, wisps; the control scheme is very complex and as per the previous point the game fails miserably at explaining its mechanics to the player.
-The spindash is weird for any seasoned Sonic player. Spindashes are supposed to be based on inertia, but in Lost World it's the fastest way to move around which I never even realized until I saw it in some gameplay vids.

And the crazy thing is, at the end of the day I actually enjoy Lost World. It's complex, and the parkour feels weird, but for the most part the game plays the way it's supposed to and the player just needs to know what they hell they're doing. It's flawed, and I'm confident 2017 will return to the boost gameplay, but I definitely don't think it's one of the "bad" Sonic games.

Dresh fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Sep 16, 2016

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

heroes was on par with the adventures in terms of controls, i think, maybe? i still had little moments of panic as sonic and friends would go flying to the right or something but it wasn't as bad as shadow

shadow was definitely worse than 06 there though. i played through 3 routes of shadow and at the end still felt like i was constantly fighting with the controls to perform basic manuvers, while in 06 by the end of, say, sonic's storyline, my control over sonic was nearing adventure levels of lovely (that is, bad, but functional on a base level)

it is true that 06 brought other awful characters to play as, but i rarely felt like control was the problem with those characters (actually in hindsight i'm almost shocked by the degree of control i had over tails, thinking about it) and more just how god awful the gameplay design was for them

but also i actually enjoyed 06 way more than shadow, because at least 06 had the creativity to constantly be bad in new and exciting ways, which kept how funny it was fresh, while shadow was just a laughably edgy opening cutscene followed by nonstop total garbage that i didn't even find funny after the first level

edit: actually i think i remember heroes controlling like total rear end in a proto-shadow kind of way. if i had my gamecube in this city i'd pop the game in and check

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Sep 16, 2016

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

the pc version of launch base zone is superior to the genesis one.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Dresh posted:

^Actually the multi-targeting is explained, I believe near the start of the game when you encounter the giant pink Caterkillers. Can't blame anyone for missing it though, and even that didn't help me against Zavok because once I reached him I didn't realize just how many target reticules I could trigger at once so I kept attacking before it was actually maxed out. So in my case I had to watch a video to see the proper execution of the strategy I was already using.

Oh boy, :words: inbound!

-Lost World's biggest sin is probably that it didn't build off the boost based gameplay of its predecessors, which immediately turned some people off
-For the first time in the series it had a run button, which I pretty much just kept held down the entire time. I always thought the game would have better benefited from a walk button instead.
-Parkour felt really weird, and was tied to having the run button held down. It always felt like it took a bit too long to start up and things like wall running never seemed to have much speed so I kept feeling like I was about to fall off at any moment. Again, I think a better implementation would have been auto-parkour which could be disabled by holding down a walk button.
-In-game tutorials were horribly implemented. Literally every Sonic game prior to this had explanations scattered about the field which a player could trigger by touching and listening to the voice actor's explanation. In Lost World all the tutorials are a brief pop up on the GamePad that the player needs to notice, stop, and touch. And if you run past the area that triggered the pop up then you won't be able to read anymore unless you can turn around and walk back. This issue leads directly into the next point...
-The controls are very complex, moreso than most other Sonic games. You have two jump buttons, both of which do a double jump, except one of them is used for the homing attack if enemies are nearby. It would have been more intuitive if one always did a jump dash/homing attack and the other always did a double jump. Then you have the run button, the parkour, spindashing, kicking, multi-targeting, wisps; the control scheme is very complex and as per the previous point the game fails miserably at explaining its mechanics to the player.
-The spindash is weird for any seasoned Sonic player. Spindashes are supposed to be based on inertia, but in Lost World it's the fastest way to move around which I never even realized until I saw it in some gameplay vids.

And the crazy thing is, at the end of the day I actually enjoy Lost World. It's complex, and the parkour feels weird, but for the most part the game plays the way it's supposed to and the player just needs to know what they hell they're doing. It's flawed, and I'm confident 2017 will return to the boost gameplay, but I definitely don't think it's one of the "bad" Sonic games.

On PC, if you touched a hint thingy and clicked accidentaly, there was no way to open it again :v: Or I never found one.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Stairmaster posted:

dear lord

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Kikas posted:

On PC, if you touched a hint thingy and clicked accidentaly, there was no way to open it again :v: Or I never found one.
I'm pretty sure this happened to me and at least one mechanic took me most of the remaining game time to figure.

But I played through most of 12 sonic games this summer and I think SLW is the only one that disappointed me. It is so close to being a great game, and you could rework the controls and use the engine/assets to make a great game. But it just isn't in lieu of jamming in weird gimmicks and weird contextual nonsense. The game has no self-confidence and is very upsetting having just played through Generations.

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.

Stairmaster posted:

...Get out...

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Been thinking about this all day today...

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

titan tails is the strangest thing i still cant believe came out of the archie comics and not the uk sonic comic

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7-NPV0eiAM
woah.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

beep by grandpa posted:

If Eggman isn't trying to steal the master emerald why would Knuckles need to defend it?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

beep by grandpa posted:

Has the master emerald even been in anything lately?

I'm pretty sure he's high as gently caress in Sonic boom so maybe he just forgot about everything

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

launch base zone act 2 pc: a melancholic transcendent piece

launch base zone act 2 gen: the same bullshit again

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Spiderdrake posted:

Has the master emerald even been in anything lately?

I'm pretty sure he's high as gently caress in Sonic boom so maybe he just forgot about everything

Do the emeralds even exist in the Boom universe?

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

All I ever seen from Sonic is that he would just run. He is not skating, not California surfing, he just struck me as someone who would just go. No rules applied. He didn't need some board or rollers to move around; to me Sonic just needed his shoes and laces and just go. I don't even think he ever needed the chaos emeralds either. Why? Why does Sonic have an electric guitar now?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I think sonic would also roll around.

e: infact I think he would roll around more than sega would lead us to believe

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Stairmaster posted:

I think sonic would also roll around.

e: infact I think he would roll around more than sega would lead us to believe

Possibly even at the speed of sound?

I bet he'd follow rainbows.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Yeah, like the kind of guy who can't stick around, he's got to keep moving on.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I think Sonic is a good guy who is very brave and loyal to his ftriends but would make for a disappointment as a dad (no offense intended). Too much of a "free spirit" tio settle down, in this poster's opinion.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

No offense.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the "no way" song is the best sonic song.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Whatever else goes wrong with Sonic, at least the music is pretty :krad:. The Lost World soundtrack has violins for days. Hell, even 06 had a lot of great music. Aquatic Base is the best song featuring a robotic woman concerned about her email that I've ever heard.

Or, at least it usually is. I haven't heard much about Boom's soundtrack. Is it any good, or is it as painfully generic and undercooked as the rest of the game?

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i still think 06's soundtrack is bad for a sonic game. like the songs are all fine but only the character themes reach what standards i'd expect from a sonic game

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Spergatory posted:

Whatever else goes wrong with Sonic, at least the music is pretty :krad:. The Lost World soundtrack has violins for days. Hell, even 06 had a lot of great music. Aquatic Base is the best song featuring a robotic woman concerned about her email that I've ever heard.

Or, at least it usually is. I haven't heard much about Boom's soundtrack. Is it any good, or is it as painfully generic and undercooked as the rest of the game?

it's a Jak and Daxter soundtrack. No buttrock.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

His World is great, and so is Zebrahead!

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

sharrrk posted:

i still think 06's soundtrack is bad for a sonic game. like the songs are all fine but only the character themes reach what standards i'd expect from a sonic game

06 has my second favorite Eggman Boss theme. Egg Cerberus/Genesis is the perfect mix of calm and menacing with a nice mechanical rhythm, and it fits 06's Eggman well. Egg Wyvern is a great escalation, too. It kinda gives off a feeling of Eggman finally coming completely unhinged, like "oh, you've done it now, hedgehog, YOU'VE REALLY DONE IT NOW :black101:"

For the record, my #1 favorite Eggman Boss theme is Unleashed's. It's aggressive and threatening while also being kind of goofy; the way I think Eggman should be. :colbert:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Spergatory posted:

For the record, my #1 favorite Eggman Boss theme is Unleashed's. It's aggressive and threatening while also being kind of goofy; the way I think Eggman should be. :colbert:

The Egg Beetle boss was a revelation. It's incredibly fast, super fun, well executed, has great music and was everything I wanted a Sonic boss to be in 3D in a way that previous games just hadn't captured. It was the moment when Unleashed earned a permanent place in my heart.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
THe loving jazzy werehog battle theme song is atrocious tho

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Its awesome

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Detective No. 27 posted:

I remember being really excited when Sonic X got announced in Japan and even downloading a lovely RealPlayer or Quicktime version of the undubbed pilot. I remember the scene with Sonic racing that car was really awesome. But once I found out that the main character was some dumb human kid I checked out. I always hated hated hated the surrogate audience member character in these shows. Nobody gives a poo poo about the human kids in Transformers, and nobody gives a poo poo about the kid in Sonic X.

Years later in community college, I joined the film club and we were pitching ideas for a movie and someone pitched a movie where Sonic and pals come to the real world and had human forms. I left after that first session and no movie was made that year.

I just want to second the amount of angry childhood stomping I did when I realized the show was about Chris Thorndyke instead of about Sonic the drat Hedgehog. I just wanted to see him fight badniks and Egg Robos and Shadow and Sonic Heroes with Tails and Knuckles or whatever poo poo. Sonic stuff. Not playing around with a dumb kid.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Kikas posted:

The main battle theme is only bad by virtue of being used for nearly every drat fight in the game. They should've gone the Kingdom Hearts route and composed a unique battle remix of each of the game's night songs. The Miniboss theme and the Night Boss theme are both amazing though. Miniboss has that great crazy syncopated beat, and Night Boss has the goddamn elephant horns, and the clarinet (I think?) just going loving crazy in the background-- it seems like it belongs in a fight scene between 1930s mobsters in the most kickin' jazz club in New York. :c00lbert:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Kikas posted:

I will fight you

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

SonicRulez posted:

I just want to second the amount of angry childhood stomping I did when I realized the show was about Chris Thorndyke instead of about Sonic the drat Hedgehog. I just wanted to see him fight badniks and Egg Robos and Shadow and Sonic Heroes with Tails and Knuckles or whatever poo poo. Sonic stuff. Not playing around with a dumb kid.

Thirding it. The first episode seemed to have potential until that brat showed up and was declared the star.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
Sorry but this is the only good unleashed music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yODLkaF8F-Y