Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Comb Your Beard posted:

Ate 2 big lobsters as sort of a celebratory thing and boiled down the bodies afterward to make lobster stock. Thinking of using it for something Cajun-esque. I usually make Gumbo but I'm thinking going for Jumbalaya from-scratch. Would that be good?

Also, is Jasmine rice acceptable? I also have Basmati on hand, but I figure the former would be better.

lobster stock seems kinda wasted for a chicken & sausage jambalaya, like it would get overpowered. I've done a seafood jambalaya one time that was pretty good though (kinda half jambalaya half paella). Or a shrimp / seafood etouffee?

For me, the best rice for jambalaya is good old uncle ben's converted. Parboiled rice stays firm despite the longer cooking time, and stands up to more abuse. With regular rice the grains break down if you need to give it a stir halfway and you get glue. Converted takes it and stays intact, and there's way less loose starch to begin with. I like my jambalaya heavy on the veggies, which can make the finished product a bit moist. So I want my rice to hold nice firm grains and not make that moisture into paste.

Don't really see the point of jasmina or basmati, the flavor they have on their own is gonna be overwhelmed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I ate a really good etoufee yesterday that I think was made with chicken stock. Now I'm wondering if I should try adding some chicken bouillon to my crawfish stock the next time I make gumbo, which will be soon. Like tomorrow.

Should I do it? Should I add chicken bouillon to my crawfish stock?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I ate a really good etoufee yesterday that I think was made with chicken stock. Now I'm wondering if I should try adding some chicken bouillon to my crawfish stock the next time I make gumbo, which will be soon. Like tomorrow.

Should I do it? Should I add chicken bouillon to my crawfish stock?

A scratch made stock will always be better than boullion / canned stuff. If you like the stock you made I wouldn't bother. It wouldn't make it taste bad or anything though.

If I am using a seafood base I use a seafood stock and if its sausage and/or chicken, chicken stock. Can't hurt to try it if you want though.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
The first thought on bouillon is that a lot of them (Knorr, Wyler's, Herb-Ox for example) use MSG, which does make things taste better. I think you'd be better off doing a bit of fish sauce than chicken bouillon, but I don't think it'd hurt and it might help.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
ramen packet gumbo

holttho
May 21, 2007

I would also always recommend using a home-stock, but if you looked in my pantry right now, you'd find both bullion cubes and a jar of MSG. The right tool is the right tool even if sometimes it is a bad tool.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I will be making a homemade crawfish stock. I'm just wondering whether I should try mixing it with chicken bouillon or not.

I think I'm gonna try it.

My last attempt at gumbo ended in failure. I oversalted it at the beginning of the cook and then I overcooked the shrimp.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Are you using crawfish shells and heads from a boil? If so you have absolutely no need for chicken stock. I would argue you have no need for chicken stock regardless.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Are you using crawfish shells and heads from a boil? If so you have absolutely no need for chicken stock. I would argue you have no need for chicken stock regardless.

I'm using whole uncooked crawfish.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Seems like a waste of crawfish to me.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

For a responsive response:

I don't know how you are making your stock but shellfish stock tends to be blander when I make it unless using cooked and seasoned shells. I like my stock to have no added salt in the stock, but that's my preference. Chicken and seafood usually are fine, but I've moved away for more focused gumbos--I don't mix shrimp and crab with chicken though I don't mind shrimp and okay with a little andouille.

Should you do it? Why not.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Made crab, shrimp, okra andouille gumbo. I was only cooking for myself so was ready to try some different stuff, and following the theme of the last few posts I used some frozen turkey stock from November to make seafood gumbo.

Turkey was fried so the stock is strong, and I boiled some soft shell crabs I had in the freezer from last year in it it to sweeten it up. I also cooked the trinity separately like That Works suggested earlier in the thread.

I found it worked just fine. I used lard for the roux, results in a clear and very nice roux. Turned out rich and tasty.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Made crab, shrimp, okra andouille gumbo. I was only cooking for myself so was ready to try some different stuff, and following the theme of the last few posts I used some frozen turkey stock from November to make seafood gumbo.

Turkey was fried so the stock is strong, and I boiled some soft shell crabs I had in the freezer from last year in it it to sweeten it up. I also cooked the trinity separately like That Works suggested earlier in the thread.

I found it worked just fine. I used lard for the roux, results in a clear and very nice roux. Turned out rich and tasty.

That looks beautiful.

How did you like cooking the veggies separately?

Was thinking of making a pot of gumbo this week and was gonna try to cook it using the more standard method again to see how it goes.

Nhilist
Jul 29, 2004
I like it quiet in here
All in one pot.

Chicken and Conecuh cajun sausage and salt, pepper, paprika, garlic and onion powder and cayenne.

Garlic

Onion

Red and Green Bell peppers

Mushrooms

Pasta

Chicken broth

Heavy cream

Parmesan

All done

Sous Chefs

Ridley's wink of approval

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Looks great!

Made a quick pot of gumbo today.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Nhilist posted:

All in one pot.

Awesome, looks like done grub. How much pasta to stock and cream?

That Works posted:

Looks great!

Made a quick pot of gumbo today.

Are those carrots?

Nhilist
Jul 29, 2004
I like it quiet in here

Phil Moscowitz posted:

16oz of your favorite pasta, 5 cups of chicken stock or broth and a little over a half a cup of cream.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Are those carrots?

sounds good to me
pretty sure cajun food would have carrots in it keeping with french tradition, except for the fact that carrots don't grow in a swamp.

also, if any other northeast goons happen to be reading this thread, lemme recommend north country smokehouse andouille sausage ("cajun style - made in NH"). it's reasonably good for something made north of the mason dixon line. not as peppery as the real thing but otherwise much better than anything else I've found in grocery stores up here.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Are those carrots?

Nope,

red pepper instead of green pepper since that's what I had in the fridge.

Edit: Also this time I did the roux in the more traditional way, throwing the trinity into it without adding any stock or cooking down the vegetables separately (as I had done before). It turned out fine. I learned that if I use any more flour than in a 1:1 ratio it's not feasible and over time I had been creeping up to nearly 2 parts flour to 1 part oil since I like mine a little thick. Doing it that way means that when the veggies go in the whole thing really turns to a paste faster and is hard to stir and burns more easily which is probably why I had been doing mine that way before.

That Works fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Aug 8, 2016

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

That Works posted:

Nope,

red pepper instead of green pepper since that's what I had in the fridge.

Edit: Also this time I did the roux in the more traditional way, throwing the trinity into it without adding any stock or cooking down the vegetables separately (as I had done before). It turned out fine. I learned that if I use any more flour than in a 1:1 ratio it's not feasible and over time I had been creeping up to nearly 2 parts flour to 1 part oil since I like mine a little thick. Doing it that way means that when the veggies go in the whole thing really turns to a paste faster and is hard to stir and burns more easily which is probably why I had been doing mine that way before.

Is it terrible that I'm completely fine with using carrots in addition to the trinity? I like carrots. I can't grow avocados, but if I can't have them because they aren't a wetland crop, well just shoot me now. Tell me I can't have sauerkraut and I might as well go get eaten by a bull shark in the lake.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Mushika posted:

Is it terrible that I'm completely fine with using carrots in addition to the trinity? I like carrots. I can't grow avocados, but if I can't have them because they aren't a wetland crop, well just shoot me now. Tell me I can't have sauerkraut and I might as well go get eaten by a bull shark in the lake.

Like, I don't see any problem at all with people using stuff they like. By its nature gumbo is a catchall dish that adapts to whatever meats/ leftovers are available from season to season. It's not part of the "traditional" recipe because it was a poor growth environment for carrots historically. I would almost guarantee that if any of the locals back then found some carrots they would probably use them as well. If you like it with carrots and you think it makes it better then use carrots. I've never tried it, might throw in a few at some point just to see. Since it's a riff on the original mirepoix anyways it would probably be great.

Traditional recipes are all fine and good but they also come from a time when you were pulling salted meats out of the larder while one of your kids was dying of yellow fever or cholera.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Got this recipe from a one-pot video, anything I can do easily to really improve it? Already subbing out the sausage for the proper kind

INGREDIENTS

Serving Size: 4-6

1 pound linguine
3 tablespoons butter (divided as 2 and 1)
2½ tablespoons cajun seasoning (divided as 1½ and 1)
1 pound peeled and deveined large shrimp
½ cup diced yellow onion
½ cup diced green pepper
1 pound kielbasa sausage, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon dried thyme
½ cup chicken stock
½ cup heavy cream

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

goodness posted:

Got this recipe from a one-pot video, anything I can do easily to really improve it? Already subbing out the sausage for the proper kind

INGREDIENTS

Serving Size: 4-6

1 pound linguine
3 tablespoons butter (divided as 2 and 1)
2½ tablespoons cajun seasoning (divided as 1½ and 1)
1 pound peeled and deveined large shrimp
½ cup diced yellow onion
½ cup diced green pepper
1 pound kielbasa sausage, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon dried thyme
½ cup chicken stock
½ cup heavy cream

Check the OP for a homemade Cajun seasoning by Phil Moscowitz. Also using fresh thyme, garlic and then tossing in a little parsley at the end. If you aren't using homemade stock that's always a great addition to a dish that helps. Maybe consider a little sharp cheese or splash of lemon on the dish before serving.

Those are just suggestions, should taste solid as is. You could try making a shrimp stock instead of chicken also.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Sorry to post Facebook but I thought this was pretty funny

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?st...2051499%2F&_rdr

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Sorry to post Facebook but I thought this was pretty funny

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?st...2051499%2F&_rdr

I'm glad you did, I've been sharing that all morning with friends. It's awesome.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
No kale in my gumbo!

http://www.gumbopages.com/food/soups/gumboz.html
?????

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I'm all for adding different poo poo to gumbo but there is so much random junk in that recipe that seems so bizarre that at some point just call it something else because it ain't gumbo no more ya herd?

e. BUT! I actually think whatever that is would taste pretty good. It might even have some gumboesque flavor shades because of the okra and trinity.

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Sep 14, 2016

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I thought the same. It might taste good but wtf if you don't start with a roux I'm of the opinion you should call it something else.

The quinoa on top sent me over the edge.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

It sounds like a lovely stew with lots of great ingredients. It just doesn't sound like a gumbo. I'm no expert, but I'm not going to call Romanian beet Borș a Ukrainian Borshch, though I'm sure both are pretty awesome.

Throw whatever you want in your stew pot. Just don't call it what it ain't.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

For the Jambalaya recipe in the OP, would there be any issue with preparing it as listed up until the point where you put it in the oven, then just taking it off the heat, letting it sit, and putting it directly in the oven at a later time?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

10 Beers posted:

For the Jambalaya recipe in the OP, would there be any issue with preparing it as listed up until the point where you put it in the oven, then just taking it off the heat, letting it sit, and putting it directly in the oven at a later time?

If you were using raw chicken or seafood I'd worry about how long you'd be letting it sit just for sanitary reasons.

Otherwise I don't know. The rice would pick up some of the liquid while it sat and that might change how long you'd need to cook it. You can also just cook it out on the stovetop on low for ~45 mins as well but I have better consistency in the oven personally.

You'll want to just try and see but do be wary of bringing raw meat up to just at cooking temperatures and then letting them cool and sit for a long time. That's not gonna end well at some point.

Pre-cooked / smoked sausages are probably fine to treat like this, but raw sausage and other meats would not be.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

That Works posted:

If you were using raw chicken or seafood I'd worry about how long you'd be letting it sit just for sanitary reasons.

Otherwise I don't know. The rice would pick up some of the liquid while it sat and that might change how long you'd need to cook it. You can also just cook it out on the stovetop on low for ~45 mins as well but I have better consistency in the oven personally.

You'll want to just try and see but do be wary of bringing raw meat up to just at cooking temperatures and then letting them cool and sit for a long time. That's not gonna end well at some point.

Pre-cooked / smoked sausages are probably fine to treat like this, but raw sausage and other meats would not be.

Ahh, yeah, I wasn't even thinking of that, really. Good call! My fiance is going to a football game/tailgating tomorrow and I'm staying home, so I was gonna have a big pot made for when she gets back. I'll just do all the prep work and chopping and put the stuff in the fridge till it's time.

Thinking I might do some red beans and rice on Monday in the slow cooker as well.

10 Beers fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Sep 16, 2016

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

10 Beers posted:

Ahh, yeah, I wasn't even thinking of that, really. Good call! My fiance is going to a football game/tailgating tomorrow and I'm staying home, so I was gonna have a big pot made for when she gets back.

Thinking I might do some red beans and rice on Monday in the slow cooker as well.

It reheats well, you could just make it the day before and refrigerate then put into an oven at like 160F for an hour or something before serving.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
When I make jambalaya with raw chicken, I quickly sear the chicken in a frying pan while my veggies & sausage are sauteeing in the main pot. Get some color on them, then chop em to bite-size and add just before the rice.

+ More flavor
+ Easier to cut up cooked chicken
+ I always use chicken thighs so this gets most of the fat cooked out in the pan
- More work, dirties an additional pan (if you have a cast-iron dutch oven you can do the chicken first and take it out, dutch ovens are the best for jambalaya)

I'd feel comfortable using this method with having a moderate few hours break between assembling the pot and finishing later.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Jambalaya turned out great! Gonna make red beans and rice tomorrow. Gonna make the rice separately, but any tips for the beans themselves?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

10 Beers posted:

Jambalaya turned out great! Gonna make red beans and rice tomorrow. Gonna make the rice separately, but any tips for the beans themselves?

Soak em beforehand or quickboil for 5m and let them sit for an hour then rinse thoroughly. This will help with the gas and you'll want to bring red beans to a boil for a few minutes at least to prevent some toxic molecule buildup that they can produce.

Biggest thing for them is some people like them as all individual beans floating in a more watery liquid, others like to take out 1/4 or 1/3 of the beans and mash them up then add back in to make a creamier topping for the rice (this is how I like mine).

If you're using sausage I wouldn't add that in until the last hour or less of cooking otherwise you can end up with some fairly flavorless sausage if you dumped it in at the start.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

10 Beers posted:

pickled pork hocks rule. Works' suggestions are good. The GWS wiki for RB&R is a solid recipe as well

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

THE MACHO MAN posted:

pickled pork hocks rule. Works' suggestions are good. The GWS wiki for RB&R is a solid recipe as well

Oh poo poo, yeah I forgot about pickle meat. Good call.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Gotta say thanks to "me your dad" for pointing out a good butcher to get Andouille in the DC area.

I made the gumbo recipe in the second post and everyone in TFF thought it was too thick but wifey and I really enjoyed it. Thanks for the thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Hed posted:

Gotta say thanks to "me your dad" for pointing out a good butcher to get Andouille in the DC area.

I made the gumbo recipe in the second post and everyone in TFF thought it was too thick but wifey and I really enjoyed it. Thanks for the thread!

I saw that in the GDT. It looks like it came out real good except the noted thickness. I like mine a little thicker than the usual but probably not quite that much.

If you do like that consistency try making some etoufee sometime. Basically just a lighter roux and usually tomato heavy and I serve it over more rice than I'd have in gumbo.