Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
For sauces that are hot, but not just focusing on the pepper, I've recently really enjoyed Basic Foodism's Hottest of the Hot, which has some onion, mustard, and turmeric as well. It's got a distinct mustard taste, and is good on sandwiches. Ol' Gringo's Trailboss Habanero has a really distinct black pepper flavor to it that I really enjoy on fries and whatnot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Anyone tried the Xochitl salsas? I'm trying to make my way through this fucker and it's tearing my face off:

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
So I feel like you guys can appreciate this...

I bought a bunch of hot peppers at my local farmers market over the weekend and canned up some pepper relish. Problem is during the deseeding step of the process I dropped a shitload of seeds on the floor, which I then stepped on.

Two days later my feet feel like they are on fire. Gets worse and worse throughout the day as my feet sweat.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

angor posted:

Anyone tried the Xochitl salsas? I'm trying to make my way through this fucker and it's tearing my face off:

I just saw they have these at my local publix, just not the Habanero :( I do enjoy their tortilla chips though.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Crazyeyes posted:

So I feel like you guys can appreciate this...

I bought a bunch of hot peppers at my local farmers market over the weekend and canned up some pepper relish. Problem is during the deseeding step of the process I dropped a shitload of seeds on the floor, which I then stepped on.

Two days later my feet feel like they are on fire. Gets worse and worse throughout the day as my feet sweat.

Soak them in yogurt. Bonus, soften those callouses up. Or a weak bleach solution. Or baking soda paste. Or vodka.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Or soak in buttermilk and drink the vodka.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Finally, truly ripe jalapenos are available in the market. Nice red colour with good corking to them, only really once a year up north here.

As the saying goes: "Smoke 'em if you got 'em!". Eventually to be made into a nice chipotle sauce after smoking for a day or so.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn
I've got an entire deep freeze full of habeneros and need to figure out what to do with them. I usually dehydrate and crush them because one gallon sized ziploc full of them reduces down to about half a shaker full of crushed dried peppers. The problem is that I have a small dehydrator that can only do about a gallon worth at a time (8-12hr process) and I seriously have like 8-10 gallon sized bags from this year's harvest.

I'm thinking about making some hot sauce or pepper jelly and wondered if anyone here knew of some good recipe resources or ideas to get rid of an insane amount of orange habeneros.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
I had the same problem last year. This year its going to be carolina reapers and scorpion trinidad peppers. Anyways here is what I did with my habs last year.

Strawberry habenero hot sauce (this was incredible)
Palisade Peach and Habenero hot sauce
Peach and habenero jelly.
Pineapple and habenero jelly.

If you want recipes let me know, I have them at home and can post them. I can't stress enough how incredible the strawberry hot sauce was.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn
As for the hot sauce topic:

My favorite "put on anything" hot sauces are Sriracha and the Mayan yucateca sauce that's brown and tastes smokey.

I'm not a fan of any sauce that says capsaicin oil or extract as it is pretty much just like eating mace and is more of a novelty than a condiment. I usually look for ones that have pepper or carrot juice as the main ingredient. I usually also stay away from vinegar sauces.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Flaggy posted:

I had the same problem last year. This year its going to be carolina reapers and scorpion trinidad peppers. Anyways here is what I did with my habs last year.

Strawberry habenero hot sauce (this was incredible)
Palisade Peach and Habenero hot sauce
Peach and habenero jelly.
Pineapple and habenero jelly.

If you want recipes let me know, I have them at home and can post them. I can't stress enough how incredible the strawberry hot sauce was.

That sounds amazing and I have two bags of strawberries frozen fresh from spring.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

That sounds amazing and I have two bags of strawberries frozen fresh from spring.

Without looking at home if I remember correctly it was:

2 cups fresh or frozen strawberries. I remember doing alot more than this
6 Habs
1/2 cup white vinegar
2 cloves garlic
1 lemon, juiced
2 shallots
1/4 cup pineapple juice
1/8 cup sugar

Cooked everything down. Threw it in my vitamix. Threw it back on the stove. Let cool. Bottled in hot sauce bottles, boiled in canning setup.

This year I found a recipe for strawberry habenero jelly that I am going to try.

4 cups crushed strawberries, washed and hulled
3 habaneros, seeds removed and finely minced
7 cups sugar
1 lemon, juiced
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 pouch of Liquid Fruit Pectin

Flaggy fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Sep 1, 2016

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

unknown posted:

Finally, truly ripe jalapenos are available in the market. Nice red colour with good corking to them, only really once a year up north here.

As the saying goes: "Smoke 'em if you got 'em!". Eventually to be made into a nice chipotle sauce after smoking for a day or so.

Yeah, when looking at that, I drooled a little.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
I got a bunch coming my way, is homemade chipotle so amazing I must try it, or is it just fun to make your own?

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I made a mango fish pepper hot sauce the other weekend. Delicious.

Hey yall it's hatch Chile season coming up. I'm getting a case from Wegmans. :getin:

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
I love those things but I am beginning to dread processing a case of them. gently caress that's a pain in the god damned rear end.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

pr0k posted:

I got a bunch coming my way, is homemade chipotle so amazing I must try it, or is it just fun to make your own?

I've been making my own hot sauces for six-ish months now, nothing super fancy but it's fun. Ground up a can of chipotle peppers for another recipe and am tempted to mix some of it up with some vinegar to see what comes out, but drat do I wish I had a smoker to make my own chipotles (or even just a reliable source of red jalapenos)

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

C-Euro posted:

I've been making my own hot sauces for six-ish months now, nothing super fancy but it's fun. Ground up a can of chipotle peppers for another recipe and am tempted to mix some of it up with some vinegar to see what comes out, but drat do I wish I had a smoker to make my own chipotles (or even just a reliable source of red jalapenos)

When making chipotles yourself, it's the real extra smokey flavour you can get (which then gets passed to whatever you use them for).

I find that if I truly dry them out, they're not as nice and lose a bunch of flavour. I pull them out after 12-16 hours and they end up more like candied peppers than shrivelled black things than need to be rehydrated before use (also are sweeter flavour).

Pic of that batch after I pulled them.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Sudden Javelin posted:

Was just about to post asking if any UK goons could steer me in the right direction for stuff available here and Jose comes to the rescue. Smokey Naga sounds like it's my kind of thing.

For content, I bought some stuff from the Wiltshire Chilli Farm after I encountered them at a market/fair. Got the Caribbean:

And the Reaper Habanero:

Much prefer the Caribbean one, the Reaper Habanero has fallen into the trap of going for sheer heat whilst saying gently caress the flavour IMO. Usually use the Caribbean when I do fajitas/tacos although it's runny as poo poo so my hands get drenched. Still tasty though. After spending last year in North America I am distraught that hot sauce is so much less prevalent in restaurants here.

Might also want to check out South Devon Chilli Farm: https://www.southdevonchillifarm.co.uk/online-shop/extreme-heat-products

I always pick up a load of their stuff when I'm down there and can't get enough of it. The Bhut Jolokia sauce is an excellent all-rounder for adding a touch of ferocious heat to curries and casseroles. The Habanero sauce and Smokey Chipotle variants they do are much better suited as table sauces. There's also a new Reaper sauce which I've been meaning to try.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

This might be a retarded question, but... how is it that Ghost peppers naturally taste smoky? Without being smoked?

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Squashy Nipples posted:

This might be a retarded question, but... how is it that Ghost peppers naturally taste smoky? Without being smoked?

That's the flavor of your tastebuds melting away. :supaburn:

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Squashy Nipples posted:

As plants grow they naturally form aromatic compounds for a variety of reasons (most of them beyond my knowledge). The class of aromatic molecule that contributes to that smoky flavor is primarily phenolic, which also includes capsaicin. Peppers are very high in phenolic compounds in general, especially Capsicum chinense, the species that includes habanero, bhut jolokia, datil, and hainan peppers, among others.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

As plants grow they naturally form aromatic compounds for a variety of reasons (most of them beyond my knowledge). The class of aromatic molecule that contributes to that smoky flavor is primarily phenolic, which also includes capsaicin. Peppers are very high in phenolic compounds in general, especially Capsicum chinense, the species that includes habanero, bhut jolokia, datil, and hainan peppers, among others.

That's a drat good answer, thank you.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

This thing I read recently seems very relevant to the thread:

https://aeon.co/essays/what-kind-of-masochists-want-to-burn-their-mouths-off

I had always wondered why chillies evolved to be unpalatable (well, initially) to mammals. It's our "seed-destroying teeth" apparently. Birds don't feel the capsaicin though, or have teeth, happily eat the things, and then poo poo out the undestroyed seeds elsewhere. Thus spreading the chillies. Thanks, birds!

Plenty more great :science: here - I'm going to be bringing out "allyl isothiocynanate" next time I bore someone as to why wasabi isn't really hot.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

xiansi posted:

I had always wondered why chillies evolved to be unpalatable (well, initially) to mammals. It's our "seed-destroying teeth" apparently. Birds don't feel the capsaicin though, or have teeth, happily eat the things, and then poo poo out the undestroyed seeds elsewhere. Thus spreading the chillies. Thanks, birds!

Plenty more great :science: here - I'm going to be bringing out "allyl isothiocynanate" next time I bore someone as to why wasabi isn't really hot.

This means that every pepper you've eaten was in a bird's butt at some point in prehistory.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Any of you guys had this stuff?

Ordered a couple bottles, will post trip report when they get in.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Squashy Nipples posted:

That's a drat good answer, thank you.

No problem. I work with aromatic compounds for a living so it's pretty important that I know this stuff, and I really enjoy spreading knowledge.

As a completely unrelated aside, did you know that most vanilla flavoring doesn't come from beaver rear end like it used to? Castoreum is pretty expensive to acquire and has low yields, but you can just harvest ethylvanillin from pyrolysis of wood. In other words, "natural and artificial vanilla flavoring" is more often than not a byproduct of making charcoal. Ethylvanillin isn't the same as vanillin, and neither is the same as castoreum, but to the average palate and for the average use they're close enough. So, the next time you see someone post about beaver anal gland secretions, :spergin: all over their feed - it's a great way to make friends.

That said, castoreum does have a really wonderful aroma. It's different from, but I think every bit as enjoyable as, the scent of actual vanilla pods.

xiansi posted:

Thanks! I should've guessed that it was for purposes of self-defense. Evolution can be pretty clever.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

unknown posted:

When making chipotles yourself, it's the real extra smokey flavour you can get (which then gets passed to whatever you use them for).

I find that if I truly dry them out, they're not as nice and lose a bunch of flavour. I pull them out after 12-16 hours and they end up more like candied peppers than shrivelled black things than need to be rehydrated before use (also are sweeter flavour).

Pic of that batch after I pulled them.

Oh baby :jackbud: I need a house with a backyard so I can get a smoker.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Jmcrofts posted:

Any of you guys had this stuff?

Ordered a couple bottles, will post trip report when they get in.

This came in today. It's really good, starts out sweet but then has a decently hot finish. My only complaint is I feel like you kind of need to put a lot of it on, I went through like 1/5 of a bottle for one order of fried chicken.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
My Sri Lankan friend turned me on to this stuff:

It creeps up on you, but it's not really that hot, and works well with a lot of foods. I especially like the consistency, which reminds me of ketchup or cocktail sauce.

Failed Nihilist
Apr 10, 2015
Been browsing this thread for a while, lot of good poo poo in here I'll remind myself to try. Wanna thank Butch Cassidy for making me aware of the Try Me Tiger sauce, which I picked up at the store today. Great flavor, decent heat, and I like how the label makes me think of some lady saying "Try me, tiger.." in a sensuous Jessica Rabbit-style voice. Yeah, I just sexualized hot sauce. Deal with it.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Failed Nihilist posted:

Yeah, I just sexualized hot sauce. Deal with it.

Uhhhh...

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Just got an order in for myself and a few buddies. Sadly it is stuff most have already heard of like daves insanity, blair and ring of fire bottles. I miss the days when I would order bottles just from looking at their cool labels.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

evilmiera posted:

Just got an order in for myself and a few buddies. Sadly it is stuff most have already heard of like daves insanity, blair and ring of fire bottles. I miss the days when I would order bottles just from looking at their cool labels.

When I was a little kid in preschool and hated veggies my grandfather showed me how he would put Louisiana hot sauce on them to make them taste better and ever since then I was the little kindergarten kid asking the lunch lady for hot sauce.

My family found out I loved hot stuff from an early age and so pretty much every birthday/Christmas gift was some form of hotsauce when I was growing up. I had an entire fridge door full of them. It was always cool finding a new label or sauce that nobody has heard of and there are still some that I wish I could get back again from small local producers.

Highblood
May 20, 2012

Let's talk about tactics.
E: wrong page, wrong time. I'm bad ignore this. Talk about late as gently caress

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

My family found out I loved hot stuff from an early age and so pretty much every birthday/Christmas gift was some form of hotsauce when I was growing up.

I'm really trying to get my family to take the hint and do exactly the same. Lucky duck!

King Kool
Mar 28, 2011

Who has tried this stuff?

I'm not too fond of most of the habanero sauces I find. I think I just don't like the taste of a habanero. But this stuff isn't that hot. The ingredients list mustard as the second-highest ingredient rather than vinegar, so it's not super vingerary like Tabasco (which I also like). It's mildly hot and tastes decent. I'm thinking of trying it on some kind of chicken. That sounds good.

My go-to hot stuff was the Bookbinders Habanero Mustard, which apparently got discontinued, and the Melinda's Habanero Ketchup, which was mentioned earlier. Those are both very nice.

See, I'm the kind of guy who feels like an rear end in a top hat buying a whole thing of sauce and throwing it away if I don't like it. So I'm really gun-shy about buying sauces without having a chance to try them somewhere else. If it could be described as 'buffalo,' get it away from me. Can't stand it.

Mostly, I'm trying to find a sauce that's as nice as the "Ghost Pepper sauce" you can get at Red Robin. That stuff is delish, and I don't care who knows it.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

His Divine Shadow posted:

I checked the brand on the bottle and it's flying goose brand, so perhaps the one I liked was the original.

Other than that I like the Texas Pete sauce the OP posted, I always buy it from the US shelf in the local supermarket.

Flying Goose is garbage. Huy Fong is good. I've made the same mistake before.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

King Kool posted:

My go-to hot stuff was the Bookbinders Habanero Mustard, which apparently got discontinued, and the Melinda's Habanero Ketchup, which was mentioned earlier. Those are both very nice.
Mostly, I'm trying to find a sauce that's as nice as the "Ghost Pepper sauce" you can get at Red Robin. That stuff is delish, and I don't care who knows it.

If you like Melinda's, then try for some of the Marie Sharp's (aka original Melinda before the Figueroa Brothers screwed her and stole the name and recipes).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Kool
Mar 28, 2011

unknown posted:

If you like Melinda's, then try for some of the Marie Sharp's (aka original Melinda before the Figueroa Brothers screwed her and stole the name and recipes).

Really?

I will have to keep my eyes out for that.