Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Troy Queef posted:

The great Youtube channel Regular Car Reviews has done more than a few reviews of bad '80s/'90s American cars, and here's some people here might be interested in:

Chevette: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yARgE9vosw

Dodge Aries (aka the one before the K-platform): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGnMVijx5GE

Chevy Cavalier: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAKdyOUas8k

A K-Car (namely, a Chrysler New Yorker): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBkjXdCf8DE

Ford Festiva: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfMFtXu3Lz4

GM B-Bodies: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcRbviyMPcU and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooFWD5w6pXA

WARNING: videos may be NSFW and contain gratuitous references to Eastern Pennsylvania

That cavalier video was spot on my high school experience right down to the trunk subs :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
What companies still exist, but more or less as a shell of their former selves or in just name only?

I saw some Altec Lansing stuff in a store recently and remembered that I thought they used to be a fairly big, respectable PC audio brand about 15 years ago, but looking at their wiki it seems like they've changed hands a few times and been sold to various companies for relatively little money.

toxicitysquared
Nov 12, 2007

:jiggled:
Jiggled Again
:jiggled:
my porsche and mercedes run perfectly and have no issues

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Waroduce posted:

I went to UMiami and have never heard that expression before. I dont think UM pretends to be anything but a rich party school that used to be good at football

hey, they're going to be good again now that they've hired Richt

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Waroduce posted:

I went to UMiami and have never heard that expression before. I dont think UM pretends to be anything but a rich party school that used to be good at football
I think Tulane is known as the Harvard of the South.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

JediTalentAgent posted:

What companies still exist, but more or less as a shell of their former selves or in just name only?

I saw some Altec Lansing stuff in a store recently and remembered that I thought they used to be a fairly big, respectable PC audio brand about 15 years ago, but looking at their wiki it seems like they've changed hands a few times and been sold to various companies for relatively little money.

Motorola.

loving Google.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Krispy Kareem posted:

Motorola.

loving Google.
What happened to Nokia? Same deal?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Saitek once circling the drain is given new life by Logitech.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

I drive one of these, an '03 model. I think that's one of the last years they made them. The interior is cheap as gently caress (like, it's really lovely omg what how is it this bad) but it has been incredibly reliable and a huge upgrade over what I drove before - an '89 Mercury Tracer that I had for 14 years and was rotting from the inside out. I put a lot of work into it in '11 and '12 to keep it running but it needed a new gas tank and they told me I'd have to find one in a junkyard because Ford didn't make them anymore so I said gently caress it. The exterior design of that '96 looks exactly like my car, and it's 7 years older. I find that kind of disturbing. Way to iterate on design, GM.

Ryoshi posted:

I think the Saturn died because it just wasn't very good and people were already trying to strap poo poo to their Genesises like Sega CD and the 32x, then Sega came out with the Saturn and people were like 'what the gently caress is this poo poo i'm going to buy a Playstation'. Classic market oversaturation.

This is a great joke post, and I completely agree with the idea presented in it, except for the system itself - the JP library is full of incredible arcade ports and actually it was Sega's first successful console to date in that region (the SG-1000, Mark III, Game Gear, and Mega Drive+addons were not popular). Western gamers don't care about arcade stuff and both NA/EU Sega and Sony were against 2D releases so yeah. Also, it launched 5 months early out of nowhere, pissing off retailers, and PS1 was 100 bucks cheaper.

Ofecks has a new favorite as of 21:46 on Sep 16, 2016

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Jack Trades posted:

Something Awful LLC

Has anyone made that joke yet?

lol

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Y-Hat posted:

I think Tulane is known as the Harvard of the South.

it's one of the most expensive private schools in the country

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
The other problem with Saturn is that they came out with a decent car, the SC\SL, then did very little with it for eleven goddamn years. A half-assed facelift and a few more horsepower for the underpowered, vibratory base motor was about it. You can't compete with the Japanese automakers without redesigning your vehicle at least every five years.

Plus, and I'm speaking as a professional mechanic here, they really weren't that good.

The base engine had a terrible problem with the head cracking between the oil galley and the water jackets; GM eventually agreed to pay for the $1500-$2K repair after like eight years , but most people either sold or junked their hosed-up cars by then.

The oil control rings wouldn't seal right due to carbon buildup if you drove them gently, then they'd burn oil perpetually, although it didn't really affect anything -if- you checked your oil often. And everybody does that, right?

The Saturn-only automatic tranny suffered from valve-body warpage that would start with a delay going into Reverse and eventually gently caress the whole trans if it wasn't fixed. And few people caught it in time.

You can't be competitive in 2000 with a vehicle that was kinda sorta almost as good as a 1991 Corolla. And everything else Saturn sold were either badge-engineered poo poo from GM or weird Eurocars that didn't fit the US demand. Well, I take that back, the Sky was cool, for all fifteen seconds they made it.

JnnyThndrs has a new favorite as of 22:17 on Sep 16, 2016

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

The Sky was just a badge-engineered Pontiac Solstice, anyway.

I cannot think of another car manufacturer that is as outright boring and bland as GM. Apparently their new cars are pretty decent but I would never, ever buy one after the ignition switch debacle.

I did have a 1998 Cavalier that I walked away from following a rollover accident at 60 MPH (sideswiped by a tractor trailer). No complaints about that.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Ofecks posted:

I drive one of these, an '03 model. I think that's one of the last years they made them. The interior is cheap as gently caress (like, it's really lovely omg what how is it this bad) but it has been incredibly reliable and a huge upgrade over what I drove before - an '89 Mercury Tracer that I had for 14 years and was rotting from the inside out. I put a lot of work into it in '11 and '12 to keep it running but it needed a new gas tank and they told me I'd have to find one in a junkyard because Ford didn't make them anymore so I said gently caress it. The exterior design of that '96 looks exactly like my car, and it's 7 years older. I find that kind of disturbing. Way to iterate on design, GM.

I had an '02 which left me stranded after the front subframe collapsed while I was slowing down at a tollbooth. The piece of junk was completely rotted and it wasn't even 10 years old. That thing was just unpleasant to be in. Between the road and wind noise at highway speeds you needed the radio cranked to 3/4 just to hear it over everything else and it started feeling a bit janky at any speeds over 65mph. Not shaking or anything dangerous, you were just very aware of how fast you were going because the car didn't really feel like it was meant to cruise at higher speeds.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

JediTalentAgent posted:

They were the gold standard in the 70s for home audio speakers; the Model 19s in particular were almost universally lusted after and out of reach for most, like Leica in the camera world.

I don't know the history, but I suspect this was yet another once mighty name licensed/sold to the highest bidder and there was little to no actual lineage between them. It might have been brought up in these very pages, but I believe Koss is the lone exception to this, as they never really went away and continue to produce headphones from throwaways right up to heirloom priced audiophile sets.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
My dad is an Indiana motorhead and was a Chevy dude to the bone. He bought a 1968 Camaro Z28 brand new the year it came out and loved it. He ordered a Blazer directly from the factory in the 70s exactly the way he wanted it and it was such a piece of poo poo he swore off Chevy forever and spent the next 30 years driving Volkswagens and Subarus.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Citizen Tayne posted:

The Sky was just a badge-engineered Pontiac Solstice, anyway.

I cannot think of another car manufacturer that is as outright boring and bland as GM. Apparently their new cars are pretty decent but I would never, ever buy one after the ignition switch debacle.

I did have a 1998 Cavalier that I walked away from following a rollover accident at 60 MPH (sideswiped by a tractor trailer). No complaints about that.

BUT THEIR TRUCKS ARE MADE OF FREEDOM AND COLD ROLLED STEEL LIKE SUBMARINES

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Citizen Tayne posted:

Toyota in the period between axing the MR2 Spyder and introducing the GT86. They still made reliable cars, but they were all 'appliance cars'.

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe
Thank you to whoever posted the regular car reviews, I have spent most of my free time in the past 24 hours watching them.

natetimm posted:

My dad is an Indiana motorhead and was a Chevy dude to the bone. He bought a 1968 Camaro Z28 brand new the year it came out and loved it. He ordered a Blazer directly from the factory in the 70s exactly the way he wanted it and it was such a piece of poo poo he swore off Chevy forever and spent the next 30 years driving Volkswagens and Subarus.
My dad was a longtime Ford guy before he bought his first Volvo in the 80s. His first car was a Corvair convertible that was so rusty he cracked the frame going over a railroad track, and to this day he'll see rust on a GM car and say something about "Body by Fisher." He drove Fords for a while after that but now that he's driven imports for 30+ years he'll probably never buy an American car again, and I grew up in imports and seeing and hearing that domestics are crap. So no matter how good Ford or GM makes a car, part of me just knows you can do better. Having owned "import" (my Honda was built in Ohio) cars as long as I've had my license, why take the gamble? Why pay a premium for a car made by lazy-rear end UAW workers? I have been to the Rouge plant in Dearborn and it does not inspire a whole lot of confidence watching them work.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Can we talk about my SUV and correlating small penis more? I'm kinda soft.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

two forty posted:

Thank you to whoever posted the regular car reviews, I have spent most of my free time in the past 24 hours watching them.

My dad was a longtime Ford guy before he bought his first Volvo in the 80s. His first car was a Corvair convertible that was so rusty he cracked the frame going over a railroad track, and to this day he'll see rust on a GM car and say something about "Body by Fisher." He drove Fords for a while after that but now that he's driven imports for 30+ years he'll probably never buy an American car again, and I grew up in imports and seeing and hearing that domestics are crap. So no matter how good Ford or GM makes a car, part of me just knows you can do better. Having owned "import" (my Honda was built in Ohio) cars as long as I've had my license, why take the gamble? Why pay a premium for a car made by lazy-rear end UAW workers? I have been to the Rouge plant in Dearborn and it does not inspire a whole lot of confidence watching them work.

The issues on the Blazer were less workmanship and more quality of materials. Everything loving broke on that thing within 5 years of buying it and it spent the next 30 in the garage as his pipe dream retirement project until he finally sold it to the scrap yard. He couldn't believe what a dip in quality there had been in 10 years. He did buy a Plymouth Grand Voyager in 1990 that I drove until it died, but we had at least 10 other cars that were either VWs or Subarus.

Apr 7, 2003

Cubey posted:

Toyota in the period between axing the MR2 Spyder and introducing the GT86. They still made reliable cars, but they were all 'appliance cars'.

There's nothing wrong with an appliance car, I had a 2002 Corolla and it was actually a shittier driving experience than my 1998 Cavalier. It was still a better car at the end of the day.

I'm not a fan of companies that are okay with murdering their customers in return for saving eighteen cents a unit.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

sharknado slashfic posted:

That cavalier video was spot on my high school experience right down to the trunk subs :stare:

Yep, the only difference for me was I had a Kenwood stereo with detach face and faux leather zipper case, not a Pioneer. Everything else was describing my high school life in 1996 in detail right down to the Swisher Sweets and late nights at the donut shop.

Apr 7, 2003

(Yes, the 1998 Cavalier was literally a better driving experience than a 2002 Corolla. The Cavalier felt like a car. The Corolla felt like I was driving a lawnmower with a windshield.)

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Citizen Tayne posted:

There's nothing wrong with an appliance car, I had a 2002 Corolla and it was actually a shittier driving experience than my 1998 Cavalier. It was still a better car at the end of the day.

I'm not a fan of companies that are okay with murdering their customers in return for saving eighteen cents a unit.

There's nothing wrong with appliance cars, but when that's all you make it becomes extremely boring. Especially for Toyota, a company who initially got its foot in the door in the US by selling cheap, sporty things.

Apr 7, 2003

Cubey posted:

There's nothing wrong with appliance cars, but when that's all you make it becomes extremely boring. Especially for Toyota, a company who initially got its foot in the door in the US by selling cheap, sporty things.

Toyota USA divorced their sporty cars and put them into Lexus.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Lexus is a luxury brand, not a sporty brand. The closest Lexus ever came to putting out an actual sports car was the SC 430, notable for being the worst thing to ever come out of Toyota.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Citizen Tayne posted:

Toyota USA divorced their sporty cars and put them into Lexus.

And the Suv division namely 4Runner

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Toyota got popular making cheap, reliable cars that got good mileage, other than the MR2, 'sporty' wasn't really Toyota's forte. Even the horribly overrated OG AE86 isn't that sporty until you dump a bunch of money into it.

I mean...1977 Celicas with 18R motors making 80hp might have felt 'sporty' compared to 5000lb T-birds with 160hp 400M engines, but that's about it. Toyota's always made appliance cars, they're good at it, but they seem even less interested in making interesting cars than they used to be.

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe
Toyotas have been appliance cars since day one, a tarted-up Corolla sold as a Celica or whatever isn't really what made their name, it was the fact that you could buy a Toyota, drive it for 100k miles, and it still didn't have one foot in the junkyard. Or you could get easy 15% terms on a 1982 Starlet because you need to have a new car. Sure they've always made vaguely-but-not-quite-halo cars, but their bread and butter for a long time was a stripper corolla with a stick shift.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Cubey posted:

Lexus is a luxury brand, not a sporty brand. The closest Lexus ever came to putting out an actual sports car was the SC 430, notable for being the worst thing to ever come out of Toyota.

They also made the LFA which was an amazing piece of machinery and could hold it's against European supercars. Lexus engineers can definitely work magic when management lets them up for air.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4OfY9EYuUg

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

JnnyThndrs posted:

Toyota got popular making cheap, reliable cars that got good mileage, other than the MR2, 'sporty' wasn't really Toyota's forte. Even the horribly overrated OG AE86 isn't that sporty until you dump a bunch of money into it.

I mean...1977 Celicas with 18R motors making 80hp might have felt 'sporty' compared to 5000lb T-birds with 160hp 400M engines, but that's about it. Toyota's always made appliance cars, they're good at it, but they seem even less interested in making interesting cars than they used to be.

The Celica was a sports car from day one, and a very successful one up until the half-assed shitbox that was the final generation. And don't forget about the Supra, though that didn't sell anywhere near the numbers that the Celica and MR2 did as it was a good deal pricier.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I love that Roadmaster and everything that guy did to it.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

The_Franz posted:

I had an '02 which left me stranded after the front subframe collapsed while I was slowing down at a tollbooth. The piece of junk was completely rotted and it wasn't even 10 years old. That thing was just unpleasant to be in. Between the road and wind noise at highway speeds you needed the radio cranked to 3/4 just to hear it over everything else and it started feeling a bit janky at any speeds over 65mph. Not shaking or anything dangerous, you were just very aware of how fast you were going because the car didn't really feel like it was meant to cruise at higher speeds.

Hm, that's unfortunate. I should probably disclaim that mine has rather low mileage for its age. I'll confirm the highway noise, it's annoying, but it otherwise feels fine at high speeds. Sometimes something whistles/whines if I push it over 80, probably an airflow thing somewhere.

Apr 7, 2003

Cubey posted:

Sporty is luxury. It's way too late tonight for me to dig up examples, but Lexus wanted to confuse BMW (sporty) with Mercedes (comfortable) and tried to do both. They succeeded, as we can see today.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

two forty posted:

cheers.

here's some other of his Greatest Hits:

BMW E30: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSgZGOCyYcY

The Mini: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C52pizDWow

JDM Honda Kei van: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bL_T4Lr0uu8

Mazda RX-7: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAkJYnxFYJQ

Apr 7, 2003

The_Franz posted:

Sounds like you didn't keep up on maintenance. My Cavalier was incredibly reliable, and when it got ran over by a truck it died respectably and left me in good shape.

Apr 7, 2003

*dumb rear end in a top hat buys 10 year old car for $500 and then is shocked when it falls apart*

"$car sucks!"

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Cubey posted:

The Celica was a sports car from day one, and a very successful one up until the half-assed shitbox that was the final generation. And don't forget about the Supra, though that didn't sell anywhere near the numbers that the Celica and MR2 did as it was a good deal pricier.

I dunno about 'day one', there was nothing sporty but the ads when talking about early Celicas. The '82-86 GT-S was the first remotely sporty Celica, and the Supra is cool but more of a GT than a sports car due to its size and weight.

I remember being at an autocross in ~1987 and a guy almost punched the announcer in the face 'cause he, over the PA, said the guy's Celica had a 'forklift motor'. Announcer was right, though, 18/20/22R's are wonderfully reliable and about as sporty as those tractor motors w/SU carbs that MG used to make. Back in the day the guys with Celicas and money would import Japanese 2T-G motors, and those ran pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
Toyota has always bland-but-reliable cars. It became especially obvious between '98 and 2012 - you can still buy a 99 Camry with 220k on the odometer that will go for another few years, but it's going to be a banal loving car to drive. And that's usually alright, since most people just want transportation above a fun car to drive.

What sucks is when Toyota makes a great sports car like the FR-S/GT86 and it sells like shiiiiiit. They made a sports coupe that handled like a dream and people still poo poo on it for being "underpowered". And while I think another 30 or 40hp would have made it a bit more fun, people just don't know how to drive it - you have to wring the piss out of it; the engine is happiest and most fun when it's at 4-5k RPM. The gearing makes it obvious but still people couldn't fathom that, and so they derided it.