Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fart Cannon
Oct 12, 2008

College Slice
JOB POSTING

Edit: Position is closed. I will edit this if it reopens.

Fart Cannon fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Aug 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Ok, let's give this a whirl.

JOB SEEKER

Education: Some college and a lot of self teaching
My Experience: Personal projects ranging from small to large, worked with C#/.NET (and WPF), C++, and Java
What I'm looking for: Entry level application developer and contracting positions
What I'm NOT looking for: I would prefer NOT being the sole, in-house developer
Where I'm looking: Pittsburgh, PA but am willing to consider relocation
When can I start: Immediately
Requirements: Really don't have any...
Can be reached via: email - birdofplay61000 (at) gmail (dot) com

I was a cook until my restaurant closed last month. Luckily, I was gearing up to try shopping around for developer jobs already, so I took the few weeks to get some polish on my current project and started the big job search. I do have a GitHub and a more "professional" address, but both are under my real name.

If it helps, my project is a file editing application for a crappy, old strategy game called Shattered Union. I had to reverse-engineer the data file I'm working with to get started with the project and was one of the more fun parts of it. Currently I'm wiring up the remaining attributes for the units and writing up new ValidationRule subclasses.

And, yeah, I'm calling it reverse-engineering because of how cool it sounds, the data structure was pretty easy to decipher even though it was mostly binary data.

BirdOfPlay fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Aug 25, 2016

high six
Feb 6, 2010
Job seeker:

Education: Associates in CIS, B.Sc in unrelated field.
My experience: Most recently a Jr. network admin. I've got a CCNA, Windows admin experience, Powershell, Python. I've been doing this for about 3 years now.
What I'm looking for: Pretty much anything. Preferably system administration or networking focused jobs.
Where I'm looking: Pretty much anywhere. I'm open to relocating. No kids and not married, so, I can move quickly.
When can I start: Immediately.
Requirements: I am not picky. I'm willing to do contract or contract to hiree.
Can be reached by: email nickoutlaw (at) gmail (dot) com

Basically, I got let go after a merger fell through, so, am looking for something else.

high six fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Aug 25, 2016

the real blah
Oct 31, 2010
JOB SEEKER

My experience: 3 years at network/internet service providers supporting HSI, T1 DIA and P2P, MPLS, Switched Ethernet Services, etc. I started with repair/NOC roles and moved into provisioning/engineering, working with a nationwide network infrastructure. I have a CCNA R/S and am working towards a CCNP.

What I'm looking for: Mid-level network engineering. As I said most of my experience is in ISP, but I would be interested in the Data Center space as well.

What I'm NOT looking for: Call center; First line help desk; A position that is primarily repair focused.

Where I live: Rochester, NY

Where I'm looking: Most anywhere in the US. I'd prefer VA/MD, or staying in Rochester, but I'm not too picky.

When I can start: I would need to provide notice and make plans to move, but fairly quickly.

Requirements: Full Time, No contract, Health Insurance, 401K match, at least 3 weeks vacation to start. An environment that encourages and rewards continuing training and certification. I would like to work somewhere that is OK being flexible with telecommuting/working hours as long as work gets done.

Can be reached via: PM or eth at smpolymen dot com

This is a pretty crappy place be whiny and vent, but to sort of understand what I am looking for:

I loved my job of almost two years now. It wasn't a call center. When I was hired you could work from home as long as you let people know and the work got done. There was some flexibility with hours as long as it was 8 a day and you were available from 10-4. Now, team meetings are no longer the team discussing work that needs to be done, but have become entirely managers discussing making sure you are clocked into the newly instituted phone queues at your scheduled shift start. They are watching to make sure you aren't out of the queue for too long. If you want to work from home it is more hoops than just taking PTO.

I don't necessarily have an issue with any of those things, but I was sold on the job as I first described it. My main issue is that they have altered the deal. I recently had an opportunity that would pay a ton more, but I turned it down because it was a call center, with angry customers, a strict schedule and micromanaging queue minders. The freedom afforded by my current position offset the loss of pay in my mind. If I had known I would be in the same position either way, I would have taken the one that paid more.

DeusExIgnis
Aug 21, 2014

JOB SEEKER

Education: Associate: CIT Developer, about 3.1 GPA.

Experience: About two years working with C#, one to two years working with ASP.NET MVC, WPF, and JQuery, three years working with JavaScript. Three month internship with my college building a website with a small team using ASP.NET MVC. Mild experience with server stuff, enough to know the very basics.

What I'm looking for: Any kind of development, web or application. Willing to learn new languages if required, especially if it's C or C++.

What I'm NOT looking for: Sever administration, help desk stuff, really anything that isn't focused on writing code.

Where I live: Within an hour of Traverse City, MI

Where am I looking: Anywhere within the state, willing to move if pay is good enough.

Requirements: Prefer full time, but will take whatever I can get.

Contact Info: PM or (username) at gmail.com. I have a more professional email, but it has my real name tied to it.

I just got my associates degree, and now I'm looking to build up some cash so that I can get my Bachelor's without relying on student loans. I enjoy the nitty gritty aspects of programming, and I'm good at troubleshooting possible issues with code. Can start pretty much immediately if it's close by, but will need a bit of time if I need to move.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

JOB SEEKER

Education: Work experience primarily, with specific classes along the way

Experience: About 10 years now in IT; ranging from datacenter tech initially, to IT Operations lead presently. I'm in a contract position with some inklings that my present contract may or may not have legs going forward; having already gotten 5 years on a contract is pretty solid as it stands. I've primarily dealt with IT Infrastructure from a Windows / AD environment, been through many NIST audits and accreditations, and manages all the moving parts from start to finish. I'm also pretty well versed in SCCM, as well as PowerShell, and some C# (and have contributed small pieces of code to our production application, though not my primary duty).

I hold an MCDST (lol), MCSA 2012, and Security+. I dont mind certifications being a condition of employment; thats why I have what I have generally.

What I'm looking for: Either moving into the security side of things moreso or DevOps / Infrastructure as Code. I'm open as long as it's technically interesting, gives me a chance to learn new things, and has some semblance of a work life balanace.

What I'm NOT looking for: Software development or helpdesk.

Where I live: Baltimore / DC area (Annapolis)

Where am I looking: Baltimore / DC area

Requirements: Full time, reasonable benefits, and commesurate salary.

Contact Info: PM or setash at gmail

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Walked posted:

JOB SEEKER

Experience: About 10 years now in IT; ranging from datacenter tech initially, to IT Operations lead presently. I'm in a contract position with some inklings that my present contract may or may not have legs going forward; having already gotten 5 years on a contract is pretty solid as it stands. I've primarily dealt with IT Infrastructure from a Windows / AD environment, been through many NIST audits and accreditations, and manages all the moving parts from start to finish. I'm also pretty well versed in SCCM, as well as PowerShell, and some C# (and have contributed small pieces of code to our production application, though not my primary duty).

I hold an MCDST (lol), MCSA 2012, and Security+. I dont mind certifications being a condition of employment; thats why I have what I have generally.

What I'm looking for: Either moving into the security side of things moreso or DevOps / Infrastructure as Code. I'm open as long as it's technically interesting, gives me a chance to learn new things, and has some semblance of a work life balanace.

Open to doing consulting?

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

psydude posted:

Open to doing consulting?

Sure; with the caveat that there needs to be some semblance of work/life balance as I've got two kids at home, but otherwise entirely open to it.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
JOB SEEKER

Education: On the job and self-taught, with various classes & conferences, and a sysadmin certificate.

Experience: I've been building web applications for twenty years, and chances are that you and your friends have used my code at some point or another during your travels on the internet. For the past decade I worked for a server hardware manufacturer, and built & maintained their internal ERP/CRM/CMS package as well as their IT infrastructure. Previous job titles have included "Senior Developer," "Lead Developer," and "IT Manager." I've found over the years that getting the specification and work plan sorted out is the hardest part of software development, and is where most problems come into being.

I have two years of experience performing full-time remote development and sysadmin work.

What I'm looking for: Software dev wise, I prefer working with modern PHP (PHP7), MySQL/PostgreSQL, and frameworks and libraries like Zend Framework & Symfony. I use modern development practices, like using ORM (Doctrine) where it makes sense, using caching (memcached, redis) where appropriate, and using asyncronous background work (message & job queues) when practical. I follow the practice of separation of concerns (leading to MVC) religiously, and am familiar and comfortable with dependency injection and automated testing.

All of that being said, I am also comfortable working with and getting the opportunity to modernize legacy codebases. I work in PHP, working with weird legacy code is part of the job description.

I am familiar with the software development lifecycle, and have used a variety of techniques and methods to manage it. I've worked solo, as a member of a team, and as a team lead.

Sysadmin wise, I'm a jack of most trades, and have worked with moderately advanced networking concepts, SANs, virtualization (libvirt / KVM), security cameras, door systems, integration with Google Apps for Business, and more. I work best with the RHEL family. As IT manager, I coordinated vendor relationships, made purchasing decisions, etc.

What I'm NOT looking for: I'm not looking for helpdesk or standard CJ roles. I'm also not a designer, so some kinds of front-end work aren't really my thing. I don't mind startups, but I'm not looking for "startup culture."

Where I live: I'm currently in Eugene, Oregon. I'm moving to the Portland metro area before the end of October.

Where I'm looking: I'd vastly prefer completely remote work, but otherwise I'm looking in Portland, Oregon.

Requirements: I'm looking for anything, including small contracts, temp work, full time, and everything in between. Flexibility in scheduling work hours is important, as is "work-life balance."

Contact Info: PM me here or email at my username at my username dot com.

McGlockenshire fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Sep 9, 2016

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Job Seeker:

Education: AS in Computer Science, going back for BS once I have money and CU Boulder has their online BS in Computer Science program.
My experience: Field technician, T1 helpdesk, and so-called T1 helpdesk that worked on projects to the point it was more of a junior admin job.
What I'm looking for: Junior administrator or entry level developer.
What I'm NOT looking for: Sales
Where I live: Northern Colorado
Where I'm looking: Northern Colorado down to Boulder. Possibly Denver if the job is really good.
When I can start: Immediately, or as long as it takes to relocate if the job is near the edge of my range.
Requirements:Full time.
Can be reached via: PM, eargesplittensa@yahoo.com

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.
Edit:
New version of the job posting. This one includes a salary range, instead of just a minimum.

This posting is being reactivated. A candidate verbally accepted, but then changed his mind on the written offer, so we're starting our search over again. The same PVL listing should be active (the link in the quoted text below), but I've asked them to change the salary from a minimum to a range. A couple of other changes may or may not make it into the listing - I'm not sure how much they can change before they have to just make a new PVL.

Updates to the info I added before:
  • The new boss started in June. He's kind of the polar opposite of his predecessor - very dynamic and energetic, but not as interested in process.
  • We have started working on a new, homegrown LIMS (Laboratory Information Management System) for our center. Whomever we hire will almost certainly be working on that project much of his/her time.
  • The development group that has worked on the current LIMS has been combined with my group (i.e. me) into one larger group that reports directly to my boss.
  • It looks like we're sticking with Ruby on Rails for the time being, but in the future, we might investigate JavaScript frameworks for the front end of the new LIMS.
  • We're moving on from our two main legacy apps, and, aside from the LIMS, we're focusing on some other, smaller projects which actually look a little more interesting than those legacy apps.

Peristalsis posted:

JOB POSTING

We're looking for a web developer at a research center at UW Madison:

https://www.ohr.wisc.edu/Weblisting/External/PVLSummaryApply.aspx?pvl_num=86880

NOTE: The deadline is tomorrow, but if you're interested in the job and can get the an app in this week, go ahead and submit one. It's even possible that submissions later than that would be considered. In the past, we have had much more trouble getting good applicants than we have had winnowing down the field, so don't be shy about applying if you think you're interested.
[Edit: Position is open again, go ahead and apply.]

What we want
We're more interested in getting knowledgeable and talented programmers than we are in finding someone who checks off every buzzword exactly. Some web development experience is pretty important to have, but it doesn't have to be in Rails, as long as you are willing to learn it with a minimum of supervision. We just don't want to have to start from scratch explaining what a web server is, how MVC works, or how to use a relational database.

If you have some science background relevant to the center's mission, that can help. In the past, we've considered programmers with a little bit of science knowledge, and scientists with some programming experience. I'm not sure if we have a preference this time around, so don't feel like relative weakness in one area will exclude you from serious consideration.

$
The minimum pay is just that - the minimum. If you have some experience and decent qualifications, you can certainly ask for more than that. However, it is a university job, so you won't be getting rich. The benefits are still pretty good, all things considered, though our current governor seems hell-bent on making public employees' jobs/lives suck.
[Edit: I've asked the powers that be to include a salary range here, instead of just a minimum. Check back in a couple of days to see if they udpate that.]

The work
The center exists to do some pretty cool science, but our job has been to do fairly mundane software support. It's possible that some actual scientific programming will come down the pipe in the future, but I've been here almost 4 years, and I've never had to bone up on my college biology for work. Our main project has involved creating an app to track results file metadata. Our secondary app is sort of an inventory system, and the developer who just left made a third app that seems a little more involved, but I haven't hacked at it yet, since it may eventually be folded into another app from a partner institution.

The tools
It's an academic environment, so there's a decent amount of flexibility. The IT group only officially supports Windows and Mac, but I use a PC, and somewhat recently added a Ubuntu partition. I don't think I've booted into Windows in 2 or 3 months, but if you nuke your hard drive or can't find a printer driver for Linux, the IT group won't want to hear about it. You could probably get a Mac if you wanted, but I haven't tried.

All of our development to date has been in Ruby on Rails. I don't know of any plans (or reason) to change that. We recently upgraded our two main applications to Rails 4. There's no specific plan to upgrade to version 5, but we'll need to look at it eventually.

We use git for all of our source control. We were using SVN for much of it until early this year. We use Gitlab for most issue tracking, though one app is still on Trac. I'd be very open to trying out other tracking tools - neither of these really thrills me.

The work environment
So far, this has been a pretty relaxed work environment. 40 - 45 hours/week seems to be plenty to keep up with things.

I've liked working here, but there is some current drama within the group and the larger organization. Our group has a new manager, so nobody is quite sure what he'll be like (I've spent maybe 20 minutes with him total since he started last week). Further, the center is funded by a Department of Energy grant, and the recent grant renewal announcement had some surprises in it. So, the center may or may not exist after the current grant expires (another year or two), and if it does, it may not be doing the same research. That said, there are often several other development jobs available on campus, and this can be a good foot in the door for other opportunities (in fact, you'd be replacing someone who just bolted for another job on campus). Another possible source of drama: there has been some rumbling about making all of our code explicitly open source, and/or opening up our apps to external use. However, it's not clear that our funding agreement allows for this sort of thing, or that our code is likely to be useful to anybody else.

Right now, I'm the only developer on the team. So, the successful applicant will be working with me, under the new supervisor. There are sometimes student hourlies around, too, but I'm really trying to put a stop to that. I don't anticipate the team growing much in the foreseeable future*, so if you're not comfortable on a small team, well, this job won't excite you.

Due to cutbacks, our QA person is leaving this year, and won't be replaced. So, part of the new person's job will be doing QA on my code, and part of mine will be doing QA on theirs. It sucks, but the decision has been made.

So far, developers have had offices instead of cubes, but each office has two people (and a window). Whomever we hire will probably get put in the empty office next door to mine, though I can't promise that it'll be empty by the time they start. [Edit: They put other developers into that office, but my officemate is not long for this job, so I assume the new hire will be stuck in the office with me.] The building is new (we moved in in January of 2013) and pretty nice - very well lit, open, and airy. We share the building with some of the lab techs and scientists, so you get to see and interact with a variety of different people, not just other developers.

As I said, I've enjoyed working here, and being on campus is really nice. For the right person, this could be a pretty sweet gig.

* One way it could happen is if this team and the LIMS programming team were folded into one, bigger programming team. I hope this won't be the case, but it's one of the rumors I've heard floating around of late. [Edit: This did happen, and now we're all on one bigger team. So, it's 3 former LIMS developers, two guys from another campus who are on this project part time, some student hourlies, and me.

Peristalsis fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Sep 27, 2016

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Who I am : Nathan Malynn

My experience: largely school and hobbiest level stuff, plus a couple months in a labs program at Wayfair

What I'm looking for: entry level it or programming

What I'm not looking for: high level it or programming, anything that doesn't have a decent chance at training or advancement.

Home: south eastern Massachusetts, looking in Boston, though.

How to contact me: neito@nerdramblingz.com or PM me here.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Maybe you've already thought this through, but do you really want your first and last name on the forums?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Job Seeker:

Education: BA in unrelated field, have a cPanel cert as well.

My experience: 3.5 years Linux Systems Administration with a six month rotation as a trainer for our Linux Admins. My life is on a command line. If anyone gets interested from this posting, I can go into way more depth once I'm contacted.

What I'm looking for: Mid-level/career Linux SysAdmin or related kind of work.

What I'm NOT looking for: DevOps or anything that touches a Windows OS or any kind of helpdesk work.

Where I live: Texas

Where I'm looking: Anywhere in the US near a major metro; diverse population a bonus. If someone in Canada wanted me bad enough to sponsor, I'd do that too.

When I can start: Immediately or within a few months; right now I'm mostly just seeing what could happen.

Requirements: Full time.

Can be reached via: PM

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Internet Explorer posted:

Maybe you've already thought this through, but do you really want your first and last name on the forums?

Fair worry, but that name's already pretty heavily attached to this nick anyway, so it's not like it's going to make too much of a difference.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Dameius posted:

Job Seeker:

Education: BA in unrelated field, have a cPanel cert as well.

My experience: 3.5 years Linux Systems Administration with a six month rotation as a trainer for our Linux Admins. My life is on a command line. If anyone gets interested from this posting, I can go into way more depth once I'm contacted.

What I'm looking for: Mid-level/career Linux SysAdmin or related kind of work.

What I'm NOT looking for: DevOps or anything that touches a Windows OS or any kind of helpdesk work.

Where I live: Texas

Where I'm looking: Anywhere in the US near a major metro; diverse population a bonus. If someone in Canada wanted me bad enough to sponsor, I'd do that too.

When I can start: Immediately or within a few months; right now I'm mostly just seeing what could happen.

Requirements: Full time.

Where in Texas? If you're in SATX, we might have something for you.

Also we need C and PHP people. As well as other stuff that's not under my purview.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Walked posted:

JOB SEEKER

I hold an MCDST (lol), MCSA: 2012, MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, and Security+. I dont mind certifications being a condition of employment; thats why I have what I have generally.

Reposting this; just finished my MCSE 2012 "Cloud Platform and Infrastructure"

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Job Seeker:

Education: 2 year state technical college

My experience: 5 years supporting SharePoint in all it's iterations at Microsoft (vendor status yay). From supporting the unwashed masses for SharePoint Online to administrators within the government hosting on-premise. Trained in 2010-2016, fixed some 2007 stuff, and worked in every size environment imaginable.

What I'm looking for: SharePoint or Systems administration, or non-call center support internal to an organization.

What I'm NOT looking for: Call center positions

Where I live: Fargo, ND

Where I'm looking: Boulder or Denver, CO (or within a reasonable distance of either)

When I can start: Within a month or less of a job acceptance. Relocation assistance appreciated, not required.

Requirements: Full time, benefits.

or username at outlook.

Strongly considering making the move sooner and would take recommendations on good recruiters in Colorado as well.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Here's a hail mary from way back.

Job Seeker:

Education: 2 Associates Degrees in a mostly unrelated field (Geodetic Technician and Civil Engineering)

My experience: 3 years of direct computer technical support (Small computer shop, Tech Support in a 5000+ user hospital). 2.5 years of ISP Tier 3 Hell desk. Now going on 6 months of actual HL7 interface messaging in a hospital environment.
Certs: A+, Net+, Epic Bridges, working on my CCNA R&S.

What I'm looking for: Jr Admin/Entry Network Tech, even Sr Technical Support.

What I'm NOT looking for: Helpdesk.

Where I'm looking: Around this area. Greensboro/East of Charlotte, SW of Raleigh, may go to Fayetteville, but that's a bit of a drive.

When I can start: Give me time to put in my 2 weeks.

Can be reached via: PM, email: jmruss10@gmail.com (PM me too incase it gets flagged as spam for some reason)

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer

Gothmog1065 posted:

Here's a hail mary from way back.

Job Seeker:

Education: 2 Associates Degrees in a mostly unrelated field (Geodetic Technician and Civil Engineering)

My experience: 3 years of direct computer technical support (Small computer shop, Tech Support in a 5000+ user hospital). 2.5 years of ISP Tier 3 Hell desk. Now going on 6 months of actual HL7 interface messaging in a hospital environment.
Certs: A+, Net+, Epic Bridges, working on my CCNA R&S.

What I'm looking for: Jr Admin/Entry Network Tech, even Sr Technical Support.

What I'm NOT looking for: Helpdesk.

Where I'm looking: Around this area. Greensboro/East of Charlotte, SW of Raleigh, may go to Fayetteville, but that's a bit of a drive.

When I can start: Give me time to put in my 2 weeks.

Can be reached via: PM, email: jmruss10@gmail.com (PM me too incase it gets flagged as spam for some reason)

How would you feel about Durham?

Sorry, don't really know the area very well enough to have a handle on reasonable geography.

Triebeard
Oct 14, 2016
JOB POSTING

Apple - Hardware R&D | San Jose, California | Full-time | Onsite

Who are we looking for?
We're looking for a software engineer with a hardware / EE background for a test engineer position.

Who are we?
A research and development lab within Apple.

Where are we?
San Jose, California

Job responsibilities
1. Create and implement metrology systems to test and characterize product performance and quality
2. Develop and maintain test software for automated inspection and analysis systems
3. Perform reliability operational tests and analyze/report results
4. Investigate reliability/performance gaps and participate in failure analysis to identify root cause

When?
Immediately

Skills?
1. Bachelors or masters in engineering
2. Relevant work/research experience in metrology systems and electrical/optical/computer testing
3. Strong computer science background: basic design patterns, OOP
4. Languages: MATLAB, LabVIEW, C++, Objective C
* Bonus: PostgreSQL, MongoDB, Python, GO

Benefits include
*Insert generic silicon valley benefits package*

Contact?
Please send CV and cover letter to ntriesault@apple.com. PM me as well just in case.

Triebeard fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Oct 14, 2016

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
Reposting (with some minor edits) in case anything new is out there:

Plank Walker posted:

JOB SEEKER

Education: Bachelor's in Computer Science
My Experience: 4 years as HMI (read: UI) developer for machine tool manufacturer. Working on a very small team so I have a large role in defining the interface between the visualization layer, coded in .NET, and the control layer.
What I'm looking for: Full-time developer position in a company where software development is a primary focus/end product. Up-to-date dev tools and methodologies. Diverse work environment. .NET preferred.
What I'm NOT looking for: Startup culture
Where I'm looking: Boston, MA or surrounding area
When can I start: Any time
Requirements: Full-time
Can be reached via: harrison (dot) paine (at) gmail

Current position is developing the HMI for a 2D laser cutting machine, which is about a 20/80 split between UI and backend development. Most of the backend work consists of parsing and analyzing CNC code, managing communication between the machine and its peripherals via various interfaces (OPC, file transfer over TCP, other semi-proprietary protocols), and developing internal tools. UI development consisted mostly of kludging around our parent company's Windows Forms based UI framework. Most of my work has been in C#/.NET, so that would be preferred, but absolutely not a requirement.

BaconBucket
May 31, 2011
Job Seeker:

Education : Postgraduate Diploma in Psychology.

My experience : 4 years in IT overall. 2 years on the service desk, 1 year of onsite network and wintel server deployment, 1 year of service desk team leading. Currently leading a team of 12 Level 3 help desk consultants and manage day to day operations of the service desk overall with 3000+ customers in the healthcare industry.

Unfortunately I don't have any certs but am working on learning Linux administration, Python on my home labs and ITIL foundation while at work

What I'm looking for : Another team leader/managerial role with an experienced team; any kind of process improvement/coordination work. Basically anything operations or daily improvement based which I am currently working on now but would like to work with a wider range of technology and not just wintel desktop stuff.

What I'm NOT looking for : Any kind of level 1 help desk work.

Where I live : Melbourne, Australia

Where I'm looking : Anywhere in Australia

When I can start : Looking for a quick turn around so around 4 weeks notice for my current role

Requirements : Ideally full time and permanent but anything at this point will do

Can be reached via: elemental _ 90 (at) hotmail (dot) com and PM

BaconBucket fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Oct 18, 2016

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Looking again.

Job Seeker

My experience: 3.5 years mixed IT experience in: professional services, databases, and technical support. Professional focus mostly on Windows sysadmin work (AD, SQL, IIS) plus general hardware/software troubleshooting/config and some networking.

Most recent positions were implementation roles working with enterprise clients (configuration, troubleshooting, training, jQuery/JavaScript/HTML/CSS, some VB scripting). 4 years of finance experience prior to IT.

Education: BS in Finance

What I'm looking for: Similar client facing positions: implementation, consulting, or pre/post-sales engineer in a technical capacity. Also ok with technical business analyst, sysadmin, and support engineer positions. Especially looking to get more hands on with Linux and AWS since I'm currently teaching myself both (and I'm willing to take a support position if needed).

What I'm NOT looking for: Sales/quota driven positions, anything in a call center environment

Where I'm looking: Austin, TX. Open to relocation.

When I can start: ASAP/negotiable

Requirements: Full time, competitive salary/benefits/PTO/remote etc all negotiable. Can consider contract case by case.

air- fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Oct 18, 2016

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
nm

milk milk lemonade fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Oct 26, 2016

bad news bareback
Jan 16, 2009

JOB POSTING

The position can pay $140K + (full time) – we are open to someone working 1 week in office a month and remote the other weeks during the month.

Additionally, we are open to going higher on the comp range.

Ecommerce Back End Web Developer – PHP

The Web Developer PHP designs, documents, programs, and implements technology solutions to support business requirements for the Harbor Freight eCommerce applications following approved development life cycle methodologies. Additionally, this position provides technical application support, resolving technical issues through debugging, analysis and investigation. The IT Web Developer must be able to translate business requests and needs into successful technical solutions.

Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Design, development, implementation and ongoing maintenance of Magento eCommerce applications.
• Translate functional requirements from business users into sound technical designs that meet business objectives.
• Develop specifications for new features.
• Provide subject matter expertise for development and integration of all supported application technologies.
• Ensure security and PCI compliance is developed into all applications.
• Interface with business and infrastructure teams in support of site modifications and new features.
• Work with the Web Infrastructure Administrator to ensure appropriate capacity is in place to service customer demand.
• Perform root cause analysis of any application issues and develop remediation plans.
• Perform application change control functions.
• Adhere to corporate standards with respect to problem, change, QA and configuration management.
• Project and workload management.
• Proactively offer solutions to complex technical problems.
Scope
• Supervises staff – no;
• Organizational Scope – All US locations/Single Category/Region/District/Distribution Center;
• Decision Making – Creates policy and resolves problems;
• Travel – Minimal;
• Location-HQ Corporate Office – Calabasas, CA.
Please apply online at the following link: https://jobs.brassring.com/1033/ASP/TG/cim_jobdetail.asp?partnerid=26281&siteid=6660&AReq=144BR

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

bad news bareback posted:

JOB POSTING

The position can pay $140K + (full time) – we are open to someone working 1 week in office a month and remote the other weeks during the month.

Additionally, we are open to going higher on the comp range.

Ecommerce Back End Web Developer – PHP
[...]
Please apply online at the following link: https://jobs.brassring.com/1033/ASP/TG/cim_jobdetail.asp?partnerid=26281&siteid=6660&AReq=144BR

Are travel expenses included in the week spent on-site?

Also, the description on the site includes this great bullet point:

quote:

Strong initiative, commitment, and a positive, “whatever” it takes attitude.

If that's intentional humor, I love you guys already. If it's not intentional then you should probably fix those quotes.

I'll be putting in my application tomorrow evening soon, as this description is exactly what I do (see my post earlier on this page)

McGlockenshire fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Oct 28, 2016

Klenath
Aug 12, 2005

Shigata ga nai.
JOB POSTING

Seeking one candidate: A tier-1.5 skilled desktop support person to work in a higher education environment to inventory client computer assets and assist other desktop support team members in supporting the campus's central administrative offices.

EDIT: Posting is closed! Thanks to all who applied!

Klenath fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Nov 18, 2016

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

JOB POSTING

Looking for 1-2 network security engineers to join a consulting team providing professional services.

Who are we?
A small VAR and consulting firm located in the DC area focusing predominately on federal customers.

Where are we?
Headquarters is located near Annapolis, but we also have a satellite office located in Herndon. We're very lenient on working from home once you've established yourself as someone that can manage their time.

When
Now.

Remote
Mmmmaayyyyybe. Like I said, we have a good work from home policy. Most (but far from all) of our customers are in the Baltimore/DC area so you'd want to be within a reasonable commute.

Relocation
No idea. Gonna say no, but that's a discussion to be had with my boss.

Job Description
We're looking for 1-2 Jr-Mid to Senior level security engineers to join our consulting practice. Most of what you do will be professional services (installation/upgrading of equipment) for Cisco and Palo Alto firewalls, IPSs, IDSs, and NAC solutions; however, we also do security assessments (soft-core penetration tests) and general consulting for customers. Specifically, we'd ask that you have experience with 2-3 of the technologies/focus areas below:

-Cisco firewalls (including FirePOWER)
-Palo Alto Firewalls (wildfire and panorama a plus)
-Cisco catalyst and Nexus switches
-Cisco routers
-Cisco ISE
-Splunk
-General security operations
-Linux
-F5 load balancers and WAFs

Other Required Stuff:
-Some sort of CCNP (or ability to get it within 90 days. Sorry, we're a partner. You need to have it.)
-Security+, CISSP, or other random security cert for compliance with DoD 8750.1
-Neat stuff like OSCP or PCNSE certainly helps, especially if you don't have your CCNP

This position is entirely client facing. Being able to meet with and brief both technical and management (including C-level) personnel is critical, as is the ability to work with difficult people. We work on multiple projects for multiple customers simultaneously, so the ability to project and manage your own time is important. Although scopes and BOMs are typically developed by the pre-sales engineering team, you also have a good amount of leeway with regards to how you design and deploy the network, so if you really enjoy the design aspect of things then you'll like this. You'll be required to obtain at least a Top Secret Clearance, but there's a high degree of probability that you'll also need SCI eligibility. CI and full-scope polygraphs also show up as a requirement every now and then. If you already have all of that, great. If not, they'll get it for you.

Travel is about 50-80%. Of that, 75% is local/regional (get a satellite radio or books on tape subscription), with the last 25% being national/international. Projects requiring you to travel nationally or internationally may have you spending upwards of 2-3 weeks on site, so it's a good way to rack up airline and hotel elite status.

What else?
Standard benefits - HMO, PPO, HSA, 401k with match, 3.5 weeks of PTO to start

They also reimburse your cell phone up to $110 a month and give you $200 for a new phone every two years.

Compensation: Depends on qualifications and good old fashioned negotiations. If this ain't your first rodeo, don't settle for less than six figures.

PM me for more details if you're interested.

psydude fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Nov 10, 2016

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

JOB POSTING

Looking for ~3 NOC techs in Detroit, MI. Official Posting.

Who are we?
Quicken Loans, a giant national online mortgage lender.

Where are we?
Detroit, MI

When
ASAP

Relocation
No.

Job Description

Despite the title, there's very little network involved in this job. We're essentially 24 hour junior server admins. This is really the next step up from help desk. We support the internal developers and server owners, with a giant range of duties. We don't take calls, mostly end up dealing with SCOM alerts and email requests for help with IIS and windows services. Despite being in the financial industry, it's a very chill environment.

Responsibilities
Respond to and resolve critical server, application and network alerts
Perform troubleshooting, updates and regular maintenance on Windows and Unix Servers
Send communication to technology teams and business users regarding technology issues, outages and downtime during planned maintenance
Coordinate and communicate with external vendors and partners for support
Order and replace failed/faulty server parts
Participate in deep dives/root cause analysis to prevent and reduce the severity of future issues and outages
Update and add documentation for support procedures and system information
Actively seek and implement ways to improve the team’s processes, technical knowledge and relationships with other technology and business partners

We work 4x 10 hour shifts with no on call, but you'll start at the bottom of the seniority totem pole. You'll be working weekend (Thurs-Sun) evening/overnights until some more people move on. There's a 401k match, decent benefits, 4 weeks PTO, and lots of room for education/advancement.

Pay starts around $60k, closer to $70k if you have a degree or relevant prior experience.

Either apply on the website or send me a PM for more info.

xsf421 fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Nov 11, 2016

AbrahamSlam
Jun 12, 2013

Mess with the bull, you get the WANG!
Any of you have a line on a job in Alberta, Canada?

I've got a year and a half of help desk experience through Geeksquad, hold a diploma in Computer Systems, and an A+ certification.

Not necessarily looking for anything fancy, just a step up from GS.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

My team is expanding, again, looking for two junior people, preferably you have experience doing nightmarish IT and want to be part of the solution, rather than the problem (because that's what the product we sell does)

Two positions, one in south bay area California, the other is in Sydney, Australia. The Australian position will focus on doing QA of machine learning, dynamic realtime data analytics with room to grow in to a full software engineering position after one year

JOB POSTING

Who are we looking for?
- Junior QA position

Who are we?
-We are a 4-5 year old recently B-round funded start up in Silicon Valley making enterprise server configuration software. We have ~22 engineers out of about 75 people, plan to grow that more over the next 12 months. If you like the word "devops" we do devops. If you like the word "agile" we do agile.

Where are we?
We're based in Silicon Valley, California
--Otherwise you'd be expected to move out to the valley
--Possibly you could work from Sydney, Australia

Job responsibilities?:
Though the job will vary depending on your skillset, the primary roles include:
-Designing, building, bug fixing our app
-Designing, building, bug fixing our infrastructure
-Carte blanche to find and work on your own projects in between critical tasks

When?
-The job position(s) is/are open now and actively hiring

Skills?:

Essential-
-Good personality
-Actual, honest to god interest in nerdy stuff, actively learning new tech
-Able and willing to pick up new skills to complete new projects
-Must have excellent English skills
-Deep knowledge of at least one major programming language
-No US visa issues/requirements
-Must know Git

Bonus skills-
-Experience with Docker, CoreOS, Kubernetes, Cadvisor, Prometheus
-Experience doing Enterprise IT in the last 5 years
-Experience doing Enterprise IT for bank/finance... ever
-Experience building Ruby on Rails apps
-Experience building Golang apps
-Experience building C# apps, specifically working with WinRM
-Willing to learn Docker, CoreOS, Kubernetes, Cadvisor, Prometheus
-1 year+ Operations/ IT Admin Experience
-Experience with front end programming languages such as javascript, angular
-Experience debugging javascript, angular
-Deep understanding of Git Flow
-Follows tech news, can speak more than two sentences about Edward Snowden, Julian Assange, Oracle vs Google, has a favorite programming language and can defend it
-Has some knowledge of blockchain technology, cryptographic hashing of files, etc (or can fake it)
-Experience with Tripwire or Tripwire-like products
-Experience with Puppet, Ansible, Chef, Salt, Black Duck, Service Now
-Experience using JIRA
-Experience using Atlassian Bamboo
-Experience with Azure, AWS, GCE, Softlayer, BGP+VPN
-Experience with ESXi 5.5, 6.x, Hyper-V

^^ these "bonus" items are all things I touch on a weekly, if not daily basis, you will build a good resume with these items (maybe)

Benefits include:
-Work from home tuesdays, Wednesdays and thursdays
-Silicon Valley perks (free lunch, fun atmosphere, free beer in fridge, quarterly offsite barbeques etc)
-Fully covered health insurance, dental, optical for you + significant other
-9:20-5:20 work day, PDT (scrum is at 9:20 be there or be square)
-Pretty decent vacation + sick time

Contact?
-Shoot me a PM for email to send resume, and preferred job. I'll get back to you within 48 hours to setup a 10-15 minute meet and greet if you look like you might be a good fit for a proper interview. A link to your github as well if possible.

Your actual interview would include at a minimum, spinning up a CoreOS cluster using Vagrant and demonstrating a hello world web app running in a docker container in two languages: golang and ruby on rails, along with links to your github repos. Hello world web apps would need an automated testing framework and passing tests. Triple bonus points if they can talk to eachother using encrypted key pairs in some meaningful way.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Nov 30, 2016

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
edit: all good thanks

hihifellow fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jan 21, 2017

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

JOB POSTING

Quicken Loans: We're looking for IT Project Managers

Who are we?
We’re the #1 online lender in America, closing loans in all 50 states, and we’ve grown to be one of the largest full-service residential mortgage lenders in the country. For five years in a row now, J.D. Power has ranked Quicken Loans highest in the nation in customer satisfaction for Primary Mortgage Origination. We were also ranked highest in the nation for customer satisfaction among mortgage servicers the last two years, the first years we were eligible. There’s a simple reason we’ve been so successful: We care about the people we work with.

If you’re tired of stuffy, bureaucratic workplaces, then you’ll be delighted to find something different. We strive to make a creative, fun and collaborative environment you simply won’t find anywhere else. We've been on Computerworld's "Best Places to Work in IT" list for 11 years running, hitting #1 the last three years, and we’ve been named to Fortune magazine’s list of "100 Best Companies to Work For" for the past 12 years, ranking as high as #2.

Where are we?
Detroit, MI

When
ASAP

Relocation
Yes, potentially based on experience

Job Description

Responsibilities
-Formulate and define project scope and objectives based on team member needs and a good understanding of applicable business systems and industry requirements
-Identify resources needed and work with technology leaders to distribute work
-Analyze business and user needs, then document requirements
-Set and manage client expectations
-Manage basic project phases, coordinate and drive communication, facilitate decisions and follow through on project execution
-Facilitate regular client and project team meetings
-Maintain a solid understanding of the mortgage and technology industries
-Keep business units and stakeholders informed of progress and changes through written or verbal communication and minimize our exposure and risk on a project
-Effectively apply our project management methodology and project standards and help develop best practices and tools for project execution

Requirements
-One year of mortgage experience or project management experience in an IT environment
-Ability to assess problems and solve them with a strong sense of urgency
-Analytical and creative thinker
-Client-oriented approach for both internal and external clients
-Ability to motivate teams to work together in the most efficient manner
-Flexibility during times of change
-Ability to communicate with all levels of the organization and tactfully deliver sensitive or difficult information
-Good technical understanding of assigned projects and how they impact the business
-Ability to handle aggressive deadlines and juggle multiple responsibilities
-Experience with MS Project, Confluence or similar applications, TFS or similar applications required

Contact: PM me - Vyst or you can email jtwortley at g mail dot com - please include resume

vyst fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Dec 5, 2016

FUTURE JAZZ
May 17, 2009

"Like Jamiroquai, but with the beeps and boops of Jarre.
Ask me about my new weird america klesmer Christian chamber pop band."

Hadlock posted:

My team is expanding, again, looking for two junior people, preferably you have experience doing nightmarish IT and want to be part of the solution, rather than the problem (because that's what the product we sell does)

Two positions, one in south bay area California, the other is in Sydney, Australia. The Australian position will focus on doing QA of machine learning, dynamic realtime data analytics with room to grow in to a full software engineering position after one year

JOB POSTING

Who are we looking for?
- Junior QA position

Who are we?
-We are a 4-5 year old recently B-round funded start up in Silicon Valley making enterprise server configuration software. We have ~22 engineers out of about 75 people, plan to grow that more over the next 12 months. If you like the word "devops" we do devops. If you like the word "agile" we do agile.

Where are we?
We're based in Silicon Valley, California
--Otherwise you'd be expected to move out to the valley
--Possibly you could work from Sydney, Australia

Job responsibilities?:
Though the job will vary depending on your skillset, the primary roles include:
-Designing, building, bug fixing our app
-Designing, building, bug fixing our infrastructure
-Carte blanche to find and work on your own projects in between critical tasks

When?
-The job position(s) is/are open now and actively hiring

Skills?:

Essential-
-Good personality
-Actual, honest to god interest in nerdy stuff, actively learning new tech
-Able and willing to pick up new skills to complete new projects
-Must have excellent English skills
-Deep knowledge of at least one major programming language
-No US visa issues/requirements
-Must know Git

Bonus skills-
-Experience with Docker, CoreOS, Kubernetes, Cadvisor, Prometheus
-Experience doing Enterprise IT in the last 5 years
-Experience doing Enterprise IT for bank/finance... ever
-Experience building Ruby on Rails apps
-Experience building Golang apps
-Experience building C# apps, specifically working with WinRM
-Willing to learn Docker, CoreOS, Kubernetes, Cadvisor, Prometheus
-1 year+ Operations/ IT Admin Experience
-Experience with front end programming languages such as javascript, angular
-Experience debugging javascript, angular
-Deep understanding of Git Flow
-Follows tech news, can speak more than two sentences about Edward Snowden, Julian Assange, Oracle vs Google, has a favorite programming language and can defend it
-Has some knowledge of blockchain technology, cryptographic hashing of files, etc (or can fake it)
-Experience with Tripwire or Tripwire-like products
-Experience with Puppet, Ansible, Chef, Salt, Black Duck, Service Now
-Experience using JIRA
-Experience using Atlassian Bamboo
-Experience with Azure, AWS, GCE, Softlayer, BGP+VPN
-Experience with ESXi 5.5, 6.x, Hyper-V

^^ these "bonus" items are all things I touch on a weekly, if not daily basis, you will build a good resume with these items (maybe)

Benefits include:
-Work from home tuesdays, Wednesdays and thursdays
-Silicon Valley perks (free lunch, fun atmosphere, free beer in fridge, quarterly offsite barbeques etc)
-Fully covered health insurance, dental, optical for you + significant other
-9:20-5:20 work day, PDT (scrum is at 9:20 be there or be square)
-Pretty decent vacation + sick time

Contact?
-Shoot me a PM for email to send resume, and preferred job. I'll get back to you within 48 hours to setup a 10-15 minute meet and greet if you look like you might be a good fit for a proper interview. A link to your github as well if possible.

Your actual interview would include at a minimum, spinning up a CoreOS cluster using Vagrant and demonstrating a hello world web app running in a docker container in two languages: golang and ruby on rails, along with links to your github repos. Hello world web apps would need an automated testing framework and passing tests. Triple bonus points if they can talk to eachother using encrypted key pairs in some meaningful way.

I got a buddy who I feel would fit the roll but isn't a goon. That might be a positive depending on who you're asking.

Also, hi, I played BF3 with you at some point, thanks for the memories/server.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

FUTURE JAZZ posted:

I got a buddy who I feel would fit the roll but isn't a goon. That might be a positive depending on who you're asking.

Also, hi, I played BF3 with you at some point, thanks for the memories/server.

WookWook was fantastic and launched at least two careers (I know, right?) Glad you enjoyed it, those were good times.

Shoot him/her my way, I'd love to chat with them.

FUTURE JAZZ
May 17, 2009

"Like Jamiroquai, but with the beeps and boops of Jarre.
Ask me about my new weird america klesmer Christian chamber pop band."

Sent you a PM Hadlock.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Job Seeker

Education : MCSE certification; I'm also working on my Cisco certification

I also have NetApp and Hitachi NAS training, but no certification.

My experience :

Six years working as a NAS data storage admin with the Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce, working with NetApp and Hitachi technology in Windows and UNIX environments. Also, two years in an alert monitoring environment while working with Autosys, Cisco Tidal, and Informatica applications.

Previously worked at ATI (now AMD) for six years doing hardware and software troubleshooting for PC and Mac.

What I'm looking for : Data storage or similar IT positions; does not have to be for a large corporation; would love to expand into Big Data or Cloud

What I'm NOT looking for : Level 1 helpdesk types of positions

Where I live : Toronto (Canada) GTA

Where I'm looking : Typically Toronto, but I'm willing to move, even to the US (might need visa/green card help for the latter, though)

When I can start : Immediately

Requirements : Full time, permanent

Can be reached via: vshideler@gmail.com, or PM me here

RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009
Job Seeker

Got offered a job. Thanks!

RyuHimora fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Dec 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dreamer
Oct 15, 2013

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
Job Seeker

Education: Bachelor's in Business Administration - Management Information Systems

My Experience: General local IT guy work. Repairing and troubleshooting Windows PCs. Cleaning porn out of old people's computers and clearing the insects out of their PC fans. Mostly Windows 7, 8, and 10. I've also designed and deployed a few websites for local businesses and played around with Linux distros enough that I can do some basic troubleshooting and navigate a bash command line pretty well. Mostly I've been working for my families businesses and doing IT as side work for people around town. I'd really like to get out of here and do more in the field. I self studied and got myself the A+, Network+, Security+ certifications but they're about to expire at the end of the month.

What I'm looking for: I'm open to pretty much anything. I'd prefer not to do scripted call center work but if the pay is okay then its better than nothing. I just want to get my foot in the door somewhere and get started.

What I'm NOT looking for: T1 Help Desk if I can help it. Sales

Where I'm looking: Mainly Washington but I'm okay with moving for the right offer.

When I can start: Immediately

Requirements: Full time. Benefits would be nice