Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
oh my god

did tales of phantasia just pull the most incredible game over fake out in jrpg history

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

voltcatfish posted:

so did they gently caress up magilou or not

let me know if i should be disappointed

either way the game has subs built into it that the japanese version didn't have, which leads me to believe there'll be a JP voice option.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Endorph posted:

either way the game has subs built into it that the japanese version didn't have, which leads me to believe there'll be a JP voice option.

Yeah, I listened to that but you guys that have actually played the game actually have a complete picture and handle on her character so I would trust you guys to know whether or not her voice is actually fitting for the character.

I'm assuming from your previous posts the answer is no, but I just wanted clarification.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I think the voice is fine but has some room to grow/show its range, Caphi has some quibbles about the accent but I don't think he'd say' ruined,' you shouldn't really be looking for snap judgments about a dub voice for a game that won't be out in the us for another 4-5 months.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I mean I think the accent has an actual meaning in a way and they should do something with it but I'm not willing to condemn the entire localization on a few minutes of footage. There are other things to whine about, anyway. Like "Arte Attack." And "Therion."

Also, this is only the Funimation localization. They're already doing things that diverge from things we already know about the English game. The voice actors seem to be locked in but I'm not sure anything else is guaranteed.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Finally getting around to watching the TOZ anime and I'm enjoying it so far. I've only watched episodes 0 & 1 but I really enjoyed the skit at the end of 1. Was that in the game or was it an original for the anime? I can't recall since it's been a while since I've played. I'm glad I'll get to get to see the rest of the story since I gave up on the game after two(?) temples I think.

Also it looks great but what else do you expect from ufotable?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The end-episode skits are new, but they use the game's skit sprites.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

This water trial design really is baffling. Like how does this get past any amount of QA? It's one of the worst designed anything I've ever seen in any video game; completely unforgivable

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
My hot take like a Foes Meima: Le Fay wasn't that bad, but Guinevere sucked.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Paul Zuvella posted:

This water trial design really is baffling. Like how does this get past any amount of QA? It's one of the worst designed anything I've ever seen in any video game; completely unforgivable
There's lots of little tricks you can do to make it easier: counting floor tiles, counting steps, etc.

The game tells you about none of them. Heck, the game never even tells you that the stealth bubble runs on a step counter and not on a timer.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Endorph posted:

There's lots of little tricks you can do to make it easier: counting floor tiles, counting steps, etc.

The game tells you about none of them. Heck, the game never even tells you that the stealth bubble runs on a step counter and not on a timer.

This game doesn't tell you pretty much anything. Such why you should care about half of the characters, for instance.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I legitimately respect Le Fay for being a dungeon that's all about looking around, studying the architecture, and understanding the structure of the room and the tools you have available instead of furiously speedrunning and grinding. It's not very well executed and it doesn't really go anywhere, but, well, c'est Zestiria. (Really, given the leads' personalities (when the game remembers they have them), Zestiria should have been all about cool architecture and observation puzzles. Instead we got symbol doors.)

Frankly I think the biggest thing wrong with Le Fay is that it doesn't have any checkpoints.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Caphi posted:

I legitimately respect Le Fay for being a dungeon that's all about looking around, studying the architecture, and understanding the structure of the room and the tools you have available instead of furiously speedrunning and grinding. It's not very well executed and it doesn't really go anywhere, but, well, c'est Zestiria. (Really, given the leads' personalities (when the game remembers they have them), Zestiria should have been all about cool architecture and observation puzzles. Instead we got symbol doors.)

Frankly I think the biggest thing wrong with Le Fay is that it doesn't have any checkpoints.

Checkpoints are the one thing it does have, wut.

E: oh wow what a surprise, obviously evil character is evil.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

i like how theres a hidden eye RIGHT before the final warp out of there, like one final gently caress you that probably would have upset me had i not read about it before hand

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the ending to the main arc of graces f sure is an hour long

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

the ending to the main arc of graces f sure is an hour long
also the ending fmv repeats at the end of the future arc anyway for some reason

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
overall the main arc was pretty fun, the combat system is super fantastic and the party dynamic is hilarious, all i can really complain about is that it had way less heavy of an impact on me than abyss because the plot kinda sucked. i hope the future arc mostly consists of the party goofing off, or at least has a good amount of funny skits

after this i guess i'll start zestiria. i'm going in with pretty low expectations for everything other than the characters, music and gameplay and i got it pretty cheap so i think i'll have a decently fun time

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The Colonel posted:

i hope the future arc mostly consists of the party goofing off, or at least has a good amount of funny skits

It does. The future arc is just Richard and Malik trolling everyone. It's good.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

i hope the future arc mostly consists of the party goofing off, or at least has a good amount of funny skits

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

It does. The future arc is just Richard and Malik trolling everyone. It's good.

this sounds like the greatest thing tales of graces could ever cap itself off with

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

be sure to play as richard some while you have him in the future arc, he's one of the most fun casters in the series

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i guess playing as sophie for thirty hours is enough time spent playing almost exclusively as sophie

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also honestly i think the main plot writing improves in the future arc. it isn't saying much since it's like 8 hours long but it focuses in on one specific thing and brings that thing to a pretty satisfying conclusion. and the future-arc exclusive sidequests actually have some neat insight into the characters.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
some day i will probably play new game+ and beat riot peak master class

i didn't even attempt it on this playthrough because lol at fighting veigue and two other people without super endgame gear

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the most fun fight on riot peak isn't even veigue, it's poisson beating you over the head with a hammer as you desperately try not to die in one shot to her hammer

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
lol, i was wondering where pow hammer was

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

So are we just not going to talk about this Rose thing? Who the gently caress was that prince? Who are these characters that I don't know? What the gently caress is happening in this stupid game?????

I've played this game for like 25 hours and I feel like almost nothing has happened.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tales of zestiria is 15% of a game stapled together into something that vaguely makes sense

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08cGBoYUAg8

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Endorph posted:

tales of zestiria is 15% of a game stapled together into something that vaguely makes sense

It really is kind of depressingly pathetic. They had some gal trying to charge for day 1 DLC for this. There is literally no part of this game that feels finished.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the ost is pretty decent imo, mostly because of go shiina's work.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Paul Zuvella posted:

Checkpoints are the one thing it does have, wut.

E: oh wow what a surprise, obviously evil character is evil.

Huh, I thought there's only one pool you get warped back to in the first chamber. The thing that gets people is doing all the eye halls over and over again while the BGM sounds increasingly mocking.

But yeah, the point is that while I'm not saying they should have all been Wall Master: The Dungeon, Zestiria's pitch deserved to have more Zelda bits and less running in straight lines.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Boy, the constant globetrotting in Act 2 of Tales of the Abyss sure does get irritating.

Now that I'm giving it a fair shake it's obviously not as bad as I remembered it, but Vesperia's still better by a mile even if its setting and story aren't as coherent.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Are you playing the PS2 or the 3DS version? Load times and world map frame rates are better on the 3ds version, so it's a little less annoying.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Endorph posted:

Are you playing the PS2 or the 3DS version? Load times and world map frame rates are better on the 3ds version, so it's a little less annoying.

PS2 version. It's less having to deal with the world map's issues and more the constant shuttling back and forth without even having the benefit of flight to cut down on the tedium.

The constant railroading on top of that is just bizarre. For a while I couldn't go anywhere except where I was told because of thunderstorms, sandstorms, blizzards, or heavy mist blocking over half the map.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i finally reached the end of the war segment in tales of phantasia

yep, this is a game i probably won't replay outside of the day phantasia x is available in english and i can experience this without this combat system

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Caphi posted:

Huh, I thought there's only one pool you get warped back to in the first chamber. The thing that gets people is doing all the eye halls over and over again while the BGM sounds increasingly mocking.

But yeah, the point is that while I'm not saying they should have all been Wall Master: The Dungeon, Zestiria's pitch deserved to have more Zelda bits and less running in straight lines.

You always get teleported to the same pool, but there's a teleporter in the next room.

Personally I played Zestiria on PC, so I just abused quick saves in that dungeon.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Really, I'm pretty sure the one area where Zestiria doesn't feel rushed was the Tiamat fight, If only because ohmygodimfightingadragonandtheresawesomemusicandwhatsthisfeelinginmypantsohmygooooooooddddddd

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
here's the finished part of zestiria

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

The Colonel posted:

here's the finished part of zestiria

I don't think the soundtrack that came with the Collector's Edition contained ANY of the good songs.

I felt like the biggest sucker.