Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Collateral Damage posted:

What do you all use for system integration? Our systems are currently a clusterfuck of half-baked integration attempts, best case involving using SSIS to dump data from one database into a file on a share and another SSIS job to read it back into another database, worst case someone writes data into excel and saves it as csv which gets copied by a vbscript and imported into an application using a black box .exe written ten years ago with no source code available. There's quite a lot of data getting shuffled back and forth this way, and there's at least one incident daily where a file contains invalid data, everything falls apart like a stack of dominos and I have to spend an hour chasing down an errant invalid character or something stupid like that.

All SSIS all the time.

The amount of error checking, redirection and mitigation you can do with a single integration server is amazing.

Simply being able to redirect error rows into a flat file (or database table) for later analysis while processing the rest of the records is a skill worth learning. Because gently caress opening a million row text file to edit a bad record by hand.

Do I dare ask why the database-to-flat-file-to-database job isn't just a database-to-database SSIS package? It would be far more efficient.

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Sep 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

wolrah posted:

On the plus side, you end up with a better setup when it's done. Sucks if it wasn't under your control until it became your problem to solve though.

Congrats on getting someone to spend :10bux: over a single post, usually that takes a few pages of back and forth argument. It's not like you defended using PPTP, just bitched about having to change it.
Getting upset at Apple over its removal is absolutely a defense of PPTP.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Sounds more like complaining about a shitton of unexpected work. And isn't that half of the poo poo that pisses you off thread?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Sounds more like complaining about a shitton of unexpected work. And isn't that half of the poo poo that pisses you off thread?
Getting mad at Apple for removing PPTP would be like getting mad at Google for removing NPAPI, or getting mad at Microsoft for not providing Windows XP patches, or getting mad at everyone for deprecating SHA1 certs. Have you ever worked in an IT position where someone has a thing that's old and lovely and possibly half-broken, but it's kept in production because of a combination of laziness, inertia, and ignorance? That's some poo poo that pisses me off.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Sure, it should have been updated a long time ago and it's probably his boss / boss's boss / director's fault, but it's an action by Apple that caused the change that he's presumably stuck doing.

Disclaimer: I don't know how long it would actually take to switch a network's VPNs over to something newer, and I obviously don't know how many tunnels he has to remake. This is the stuff I want to learn about, but end up stuck doing something manually that would take 15 minutes with a group policy or an actual deployment tool.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

anthonypants posted:

Getting mad at Apple for removing PPTP would be like getting mad at Google for removing NPAPI, or getting mad at Microsoft for not providing Windows XP patches, or getting mad at everyone for deprecating SHA1 certs. Have you ever worked in an IT position where someone has a thing that's old and lovely and possibly half-broken, but it's kept in production because of a combination of laziness, inertia, and ignorance? That's some poo poo that pisses me off.

I seem to recall bitching in this thread about all of those things, because it meant a shitton of work for people. And yes, the bitching was sometimes aimed at the vendor, sometimes aimed at the policy that meant all the work.

This is the thread where we bitch, not the thread where we make sure that the appropriate target is feeling our impotent wrath.

Edit: this isn't actually the poo poo that pisses you off thread. Oh well.

RFC2324 fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Sep 17, 2016

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Farking Bastage posted:

e: holy loving avatar
wow goongrats! That came swiftly and without recompense.

seriously though, as lovely as it is, you're doing yourself a favor.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Got a nice new desk, had a productive Friday afternoon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAlB35It7Gw

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Sure, it should have been updated a long time ago and it's probably his boss / boss's boss / director's fault, but it's an action by Apple that caused the change that he's presumably stuck doing.

It's still ridiculous to blame Apple for this. This lands squarely in the lap of whoever made the decision to standardize on PPTP for a VPN connection.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If the decision was made a really long time ago then it's not really that person's fault. Whoever manages their environment as though anything is set-and-forget and never needs revisiting as technology matures can have this turd in their lap.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
It's fine as long as you have anti virus

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Methanar posted:

oh god here we go

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

If the decision was made a really long time ago then it's not really that person's fault. Whoever manages their environment as though anything is set-and-forget and never needs revisiting as technology matures can have this turd in their lap.

Sounds like he was the one that had the power to change it, which means he should have pushed for the change earlier.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Methanar posted:

You just had to go there, didn't you? :v:

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

MF_James posted:

I had an issue with my previous router and DD-WRT not running OpenVPN properly, if you figure it out let me know.

I went ahead and called them before 9/20 came and muddled through it remotely.

Updated them to the latest stable version of DD-WRT and OpenVPN started behaving immediately.

Generated keys per: https://openvpn.net/index.php/open-source/documentation/howto.html#pki and installed Tunnelblick https://tunnelblick.net/ as their Mac OpenVPN client.

Router config below:

The pushed route is for the local LAN that you are accessing.

Client config:

code:
remote xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 1194
client
dev tun
proto udp
resolv-retry infinite
nobind
persist-key
persist-tun
cipher aes-256-cbc
float
tun-mtu 1500
ca ca.crt
cert client.crt
key client.key

ns-cert-type server
comp-lzo
verb 3
Generating certs is the most annoying step but it really wasn't that bad overall.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

ratbert90 posted:

Sounds like he was the one that had the power to change it, which means he should have pushed for the change earlier.

He literally said it wasn't his choice, though.

Farking Bastage posted:

Those Mikrotik PPTP setups weren't my call :( I just have to change it now in the middle of a total shitstorm.

e: holy loving avatar

See?

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Methanar posted:

*mic drop*

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Anyone have any suggestions for websites to gather side work? Is freelance.com any good, or is there something better? I would prefer something that isn't predominantly dev work.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I'm so proud of this thread for letting this sit for 36 hours

RFC2324 posted:

Anyone have any suggestions for websites to gather side work? Is freelance.com any good, or is there something better? I would prefer something that isn't predominantly dev work.

I just signed up for the Amazon Services thing, I really don't expect to get many hits in my area from it, though.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

RFC2324 posted:

I've used what used to be odesk a few times, but you're competing with a lot of guys from other countries who will do it for 1/4th the price. Occasionally you'll find someone who only wants to work with an American but you still have to come in low, and without a proper scope of work it suddenly becomes not worth doing.

I've had $200 jobs take 8 hours of my time because the client would say "I'm stuck at this one part" which turns into requiring licensing, upgrades, off hours maintenance windows. Just not worth it.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Nothing like being told last minute a client changed their schedule and now I have 8 hours to build this topology into a full demo iWAN solution using their existing IP Address

Balls.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
We are finally going to go O365 next year :toot: I am probably more excited about migrating this stuff than I should be

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Kashuno posted:

We are finally going to go O365 next year :toot: I am probably more excited about migrating this stuff than I should be

That will pass quickly, especially depending on that your current platform is.

Does anyone here have any hands on with Dell's FX2 platform yet?

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Motherfucking firefox and their goddamn stupid certificate setup is the worst

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

Kashuno posted:

https://portal.ondemand.quest.com/Auth/SignIn?product=quest.online.Migration&replyTo=https%3a%2f%2fmigration.ondemand.quest.com%2f

You'll thank me later.

Also there's a way to get a full exchange powershell to a 365 tenant(not just the azure user management side). I can build out an environment in minutes using scripts. I've recently migrated 3000 people to 365 and that Dell tool is amazing.

edit: appaarently {code} breaks tables

http://pastebin.com/i1Uhyeuv

I usually save that in my home directory as like "365" and invoke it with "./365"

Farking Bastage fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Sep 21, 2016

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

http://powershell.office.com is a decent resource that took far too long to arrive

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Farking Bastage posted:

https://portal.ondemand.quest.com/Auth/SignIn?product=quest.online.Migration&replyTo=https%3a%2f%2fmigration.ondemand.quest.com%2f

You'll thank me later.

Also there's a way to get a full exchange powershell to a 365 tenant(not just the azure user management side). I can build out an environment in minutes using scripts. I've recently migrated 300 people to 365 and that Dell tool is amazing.

code:
$UserCredential = Get-Credential
$Session = New-PSSession -ConfigurationName Microsoft.Exchange -ConnectionUri [url]https://outlook.office365.com/powershell-liveid/[/url] -Credential $UserCredential -Authentication Basic -AllowRedirection
Import-PSSession $Session

I was looking for something like this today! I'm all about it

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
See the pastebin. the forum software messed with that code in the code brackets. There's a cost ber mailbox with that tool but it will Migrate almost ANYTHING to 365. However, the limitation is non-exchange sources you will need to PST out any contacts, calendars, notes, or tasks.

Farking Bastage fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Sep 21, 2016

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
If all I am looking for is office 365 for licensing office 2016, is there a reason to federate over dirsync?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
It's a shame that they didn't call it 366 for 2016 only.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

adorai posted:

If all I am looking for is office 365 for licensing office 2016, is there a reason to federate over dirsync?

We just do AADConnect + password sync for our office suite only office 365 clients and it's seamless.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

adorai posted:

Yes, unless you want your users to have another loving password to deal with. Also everyone still calls it dirsync but just so you know it's "Azure AD Connect" now.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Best Software to document large network infrastructure (Tons of VPNs, External Colocation....)? It exists and is very shoddily documented.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

anthonypants posted:

Yes, unless you want your users to have another loving password to deal with. Also everyone still calls it dirsync but just so you know it's "Azure AD Connect" now.

When 365 was setup here AD wasn't synced actually exchange was apparently a separate domain with a trust for security. So email and login have always been separate.

Any time I mention syncing the 5 passwords users have with AD no that's not secure! At least I can randomize the passwords and make all the accounts with powershell but one. Which doesn't support AD, so rather moot.

There are a bunch of old policies that the C levels cling that look more like someone decided this would be more secure rather than research. And managers wonder why new users are so slow accessing everything and get rid of them 2 weeks later for lack of computer skills.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

SEKCobra posted:

Best Software to document large network infrastructure (Tons of VPNs, External Colocation....)? It exists and is very shoddily documented.

Visio.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Thanks Ants posted:

http://powershell.office.com is a decent resource that took far too long to arrive

Thank you for posting this. Really usefull.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Kashuno posted:

My university transitioned to Office 365 for their email system just as I was wrapping up my degree. Jesus Christ what a massive, unintuitive, productivity killing piece of poo poo the new Outlook is.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

anthonypants posted:

How is this actually set up?

I looked into it myself as loving nobody wants another password to deal with, and asked our MSP about it; I was told to use AD Connect you would need ADFS already in place being serviced across two servers. Then it was brought up 365 can use something called "Same Sign On" to which I mentioned the older DirSync, but that's as far as things have gone.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

a fleshy snood posted:

My university transitioned to Office 365 for their email system just as I was wrapping up my degree. Jesus Christ what a massive, unintuitive, productivity killing piece of poo poo the new Outlook is.

What? It's pretty much identical to 2013.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.
Outlook hasn't changed in years.