Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Key didn't even fit, which I didn't catch at first. The key opened the drawer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomewhatMystia
Sep 9, 2016

I'm also somewhat hungry.
I'm honestly surprised that we got the basement so... quickly, I guess, after another 'big' thing happening. I expected there to be at least a chapter of downtime.

Any guesses on the relationship between these new Outside Humans and the Shifters? Especially since Zeke knew Grisha personally.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

SomewhatMystia posted:

I'm honestly surprised that we got the basement so... quickly, I guess, after another 'big' thing happening. I expected there to be at least a chapter of downtime.

Any guesses on the relationship between these new Outside Humans and the Shifters? Especially since Zeke knew Grisha personally.

Zeke is either the son in the photo or his brother.

SomewhatMystia
Sep 9, 2016

I've heard a few folks mention the possibility of him being the son and I like the idea!

A related theory I've seen put forth is Grisha going through the same 'lack of aging' thing that Ymir experienced before becoming a Shifter.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
I assume that more substantial knowledge will be revealed in those books the photo was found with. Knowing they have photograph technology isn't really mindblowing since that ruined castle had crates of canned herring in it, which is another technology that only became available/widespread in the late 1800s/early 1900s.

And they also speak a different language outside, right? Harambe wasn't 100% sure that soldier he took the 3D gear off of would understand him, and Ymir could read a language on a tin of herring that Reiner couldn't.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I really like the idea that the outside world is more advanced, but still at about a Victorian era level of technology.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
Given the name of Chapter 1 I thought for sure it would be quite a bit more advanced (Or had been more advanced in the past.)

I also though there might be some kind of Matrix twist since I don't recall what the proposed solution to the most basic problem with giants was or if it was ever mentioned. All I remember is that they were described as being lighter than you'd expect. If it were a computer simulation that'd do the trick, but I guess it's not that.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
They're lightweight because they are literally full of hot air.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

And they also speak a different language outside, right? Harambe wasn't 100% sure that soldier he took the 3D gear off of would understand him, and Ymir could read a language on a tin of herring that Reiner couldn't.

The language outside is similar enough to the language inside the walls to still understand each other easily. Zeke didn't know exactly what language or dialect they spoke within the walls, but that guy still understood what he was saying.

The language written on the can might be old enough that it's not even spoken (in this part of the world, at least) anymore. Reiner, Bertholdt, and Annie are from the same group as Zeke, since he knew their names and knew exactly how to threaten Reiner into compliance: feeding him to another "Warrior" to transfer the armored titan. So he speaks/reads the same language as them, and if they couldn't read it, he probably can't. Ymir has been around for a long, long time, so it would make sense for her to be able to understand a, now dead, language.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

So as Bert said, the people of the walls are a "cursed race who all need to die", Uri Reiss said "there's a war coming and he wanted to keep the world a paradise for just a bit longer" and Zeke says the people are "bound to make the same mistakes of the past by fighting".

Based on all the Colossal titans hidden in the walls the Reiss family most likely made them in defense of this 'beyond the walls' society, and the lies about humanity being extinct were an effort to boost morale since noone would sleep well if they knew an all-powerful army of titan controllers are preparing to massacre them any moment.

So what makes a cursed race cursed? After seeing the Mule Titan I thought all the wall people were originally titan slaves the 'beyond the walls' people want back, but that doesn't make sense since Bert, Reiner and Annie were sent to kill everybody. My new theory is the original wall people attacked the main society for REASONS and are viewed as terrorists. When they started losing the war, the first king decided to turtle up all their Colossal Titans in the walls. Now after 100 years, the Beyond-the-Walls Society is sick of the constant threat of the Wall People deciding to attack again and now they've sent some soldiers to kill them and take their coordinate ability so they're no longer a threat. Bert, Rein and Annie probably grew up learning the wall people were crazy terrorists.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Good thoughts!

I think the cast are a cursed people because they've been modified to be able to turn into mindless Titans. The Reiss family almost certainly fought a war against the outside world, and then retreated to the city. Their elite trained soldiers are in the walls, but all the population can be forcibly conscripted by anyone with the Commander Coordinate.

That's why it's such a big deal - it's the key to activating the two-legged arsenal that keeps the outside world from invading.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

One immediate thought springs to mind: why are the wall titans facing *inwards*. If they were elite soldiers of the king, surely they would face out?

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Bilirubin posted:

One immediate thought springs to mind: why are the wall titans facing *inwards*. If they were elite soldiers of the king, surely they would face out?

I think that was just a thing to make the reveal come across easier, by showing the reader an enormous eye. It would be a little weird if there were just some hair on the back of a head or something.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Sub Harrison posted:

Bert, Rein and Annie probably grew up learning the wall people were crazy terrorists.

Seems kinda weird for them to keep that belief after living for years alongside the wall people and quickly learning that they know jack poo poo about anything beyond the walls.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Annie at least was having doubts, as shown with Marco. Reiner has literal brain problems. Bertholdt was just a doormat until recently.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
from doormat to delicacy

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
They are going to have a hard time recruiting after this. And who is going to do the training, and for how many years before they get new people?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

MeLKoR posted:

They are going to have a hard time recruiting after this. And who is going to do the training, and for how many years before they get new people?
The annihilation of the entire scouting regiment save those nine signals to me a serious shift in the direction the series will take especially if it's not close to finishing. Either we will have a lore dump breakdown next chapter followed by a short timeskip as they figure everything out, or the rapid advancements in technology will lead to new ways to deal with titans with less risk to the soldiers and they will be able to recruit that way. I predict some kind of hand-cannons similar to the ones the secret police used, but with exploding ammunition that can penetrate a titan's skin and then detonate, destroying the nape area from a distance either from impact or from within. Or, the more metal option, the Thunder Spears, but they can now be launched from a distance.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

MeLKoR posted:

They are going to have a hard time recruiting after this.

I don't believe this at all. If the new government has any sway over public opinion (and given that we had several chapters showing how the publishing companies are in the pocket of the new government, this seems like a given) then they're going to change the perception of the Scouting Legion from "the group we send pariahs to die" to "the heroes that just reconquered Wall Maria, enacted revenge for all the lives lost in the past five years, and guaranteeing Lebensraum for the human race."

This is an unimaginable victory for the Scouting Legion, and the massive amount of casualties simply isn't enough to counter that (if the casualty rate even became public knowledge, which I somehow doubt). Young men and women will be lining up in droves to join the Legion, members of the Guard and Military Police will be begging to be transferred, and people outside the military will be falling over themselves praising them.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I forgot about the surviving Guard and Military Police, yeah they'll get plenty of recruits from there, and they can handle basic training as well.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...
Is this still all not enough material for the anime to make another season or what?

I mean they're doing games and live-action adaptations as if this was on par with the giants like DBZ so I'm wondering what's taking so long.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Willsun posted:

Is this still all not enough material for the anime to make another season or what?

I mean they're doing games and live-action adaptations as if this was on par with the giants like DBZ so I'm wondering what's taking so long.

Isn't there a new season coming out, like, imminently?

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

Isn't there a new season coming out, like, imminently?

Crunchyroll says Spring 2017

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...
I just hope the next season then doesn't drag on like the first one because I got a real sting of filler-esque direction watching the latter half of the anime season. I know I can't just ask for tons of animation and progress packed into an episode but at this rate the anime is going to cover, what, up until we see the Beast Titan and end it there? Or at least end of that night on the tower.

"Ymir turned into a Titan??!"
"Ymir!"
"It can't be!"
*Inner monologue* "No way. Her? But I never suspected. This is crazy. But how is this possible? She never gave a clue. What does this mean? Eh? But why? There was no way...she can't have. That time..? No, wait, there was no clue. Then again, maybe we were careless. Yes. We didn't think hard enough! Argh! Why did we not pay attention? Then again,"

Willsun fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Sep 18, 2016

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I'm a bit late reading the chapter but... it was good!

First, this wasn't an answer to the mystery. That's fine. We'll need a lot more answers before we have the whole story ("why are the people outside letting this happen?" is the biggest one in my mind), and the ultimate conclusion can still gently caress up this highly mystery based story. So nothing has changed on that front.

Accepting that, this chapter was awesome. "The basement" has been a focal point for literally the entire story, so the payoff needed to be huge... and it was. It was not an entirely unforeseen twist, but everything remotely plausible had been guessed so a truly unforeseen twist would have to be a garbage rear end-pull. I can say honestly I was not expecting this twist, as tempting to say it was obvious in retrospect, even though it was obviously a consideration. It was a twist that was both plausible in the world, understandably unthinkable to most characters in the world, and a huge game changer that demands a response and complete rethinking by all the decision makers in the story. It moves the plot forward like nothing else could.

In other words, it was a satisfying one line answer to "what's in the basement?" Considering how much weight that question was given over the years, that's kind of incredible.

Of course, there's three books in there. We've just begun to learn what's down there. But for the reveal chapter... this revelation definitely passes.

The chapter itself was great. The Armin situation got interesting developments. My main issue with it before was why pretend to kill Armin if you're not going to follow through? Bringing him back wasn't bullshit, it was obvious in retrospect he was never intended to die. Was the fake-out just for cheap emotional shock value? Well, obviously it was that, but it is now also a huge weight around Armin's neck. It makes Erwin's loss- a huge loss to be sure- Armin's responsibility. It's a plot line that can still be hosed up, but it's not as crass and empty as it may have first seen when it became clear that he wasn't really going to die. And of course, now Armin is going to have interesting and troubling dreams.

That scene showing the house, Eren, and Mikasa then and now was really great, and had a huge amount of emotion behind it. After all these years...

And then the gag where Levi kicked down the door was hilarious given how tense everything else was.

The flash forward to their return before the reveal was great, and emphasized that everything has changed, and we're just going to keep moving on, with a mix of exhaustion after all that and also optimism. We finally did it. Maria is reclaimed and the basement explored.

I can't wait to see what happens next!

Eiba fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Sep 18, 2016

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
"Did they get to the basement yet" is going to be replaced with "Has Eren killed Armin yet" because there's literally no other way his arc can resolve now, with all the foreshadowing dropped.

Alternatively, "did they genocide the people outside the walls yet."

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Kerning Chameleon posted:

"Did they get to the basement yet" is going to be replaced with "Has Eren killed Armin yet" because there's literally no other way his arc can resolve now, with all the foreshadowing dropped.

Alternatively, "did they genocide the people outside the walls yet."

"Is Annie out of the crystal yet?"

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Gruckles posted:

"Is Annie out of the crystal yet?"

she's never gonna get out. the entire world is gonna die of old age, and she'll still be down there.

And I will be happy.

SomewhatMystia
Sep 9, 2016

Kerning Chameleon posted:

"Has Eren killed Armin yet" because there's literally no other way his arc can resolve now, with all the foreshadowing dropped.

Why do you say that? I'm probably missing something obvious, but I didn't really notice any 'Eren's gonna kill Armin' foreshadowing.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

SomewhatMystia posted:

Why do you say that? I'm probably missing something obvious, but I didn't really notice any 'Eren's gonna kill Armin' foreshadowing.

Eren never cared for how pragmatic and ruthless Armin's been getting over the course of the series (which is hilarious considering how bloodthirsty he is, but whatever), Armin was just saved from a heroic death at the cost of another pragmatic hero's life who's shoes he now feels immense pressure to fill, and Armin just inherited the Titan form of the series' most iconic villain. I also seem to recall some rumors/spoilers that the author intended for Eren and Armin to become increasingly antagonistic to each other.

The series ends with the two at each others titans' throats, I'm dead certain.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Whats the best way to view these other than crunchy roll? They usually put up the most recent chapter for free, but have not done that for the past two.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
The best way to view them is to pay Crunchyroll.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Not everyone has the few dollars to spare. I need to get caught up because I didn't have a computer for months, but can't figure out a good site for doing so.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

LivesInGrey posted:

Not everyone has the few dollars to spare. I need to get caught up because I didn't have a computer for months, but can't figure out a good site for doing so.

http://www.mangareader.net/

(not always the best translation though)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

LivesInGrey posted:

Save up sixty bucks, get a year long sub. Hell, you could do some odd jobs for someone and get sixty bucks in half a day's work.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

the later chapters on mangareader are decent enough to follow the plot but you'll need an official translation to pick apart the foreshadowing lines Bert, Reiner, Zeke and Ymir make.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Captain Invictus posted:

Save up sixty bucks, get a year long sub. Hell, you could do some odd jobs for someone and get sixty bucks in half a day's work.

:crossarms:

$60 for a year of membership isn't too bad but I'm really interested to know where the hell you live where you can earn $60 in half a day doing menial tasks for people. Do you literally live in an rpg or something?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Why, in these great united states of america, of course!

Hell I used to do it before getting a real job by going around and asking people who had overgrown properties and did some hard labor for 50 or 60 bucks for the agreed-upon work. Having a kid come by this weekend to clear out weeds for 10 bucks an hour, too. It's really not hard to find one-time stuff like that, man. Maybe a little more than half a day's work these days, I guess.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Oh okay, yeah that makes way more sense than the nonsense I was imagining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

That would be lovely if I weren't disabled and occasionally bedridden as a result of my various illnesses.