Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

a dog from hell posted:

Maybe Tyrell has been hiding in the Washington township? Him being in Scott Knowle's apartment doesn't make sense at this point and would be boring.

Tyrell has been hiding somewhere off the grid that pertains to Stage 2, of that much I am certain.
I know you're kinda joking but, just in case the clarification is needed, at no point should anyone have seriously suggested that Tyrell was literally at Scott Knowle's place. The phone traced there but that does not equate to Tyrell being there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011
Yeah, the idea is maybe Knowles is either loving with Joanna as revenge and/or trying to get something incriminating or hinting at Tyrell's possible whereabouts from her.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

a dog from hell posted:

Tyrell has been hiding somewhere off the grid that pertains to Stage 2, of that much I am certain.

Quite literally if it is a simulation, and he is a user of the simulation.

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot

DaveKap posted:

I know you're kinda joking but, just in case the clarification is needed, at no point should anyone have seriously suggested that Tyrell was literally at Scott Knowle's place. The phone traced there but that does not equate to Tyrell being there.

I rewatched the episode and I noticed that the bodyguard does specifically say, "No way he's in THAT house." So I don't think my theory carries water as far as the phone calls go.

I still don't think Knowles is a player, or rather I hope he's not. A lot of time has been spent building this mystery.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
We haven't seen Knowles since the beginning of this season, I wouldn't be surprised if he is dead by now (killed by Tyrell)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
New theory: Elliot did kill Tyrell, and that's why he's seeing him now.

I don't want it to be true and don't think it is, though.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I'm rewatching season 2 with my wife to get her caught up for the finale. A lot of things make way more sense during the rewatch. The first half of the season is easy to understand, and Elliot's weird haywire with Mr Robot in Init_5 makes sense as him developing the ability to observe his alternate personality without being noticed.

There are a lot of other really small details that jump out.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

precision posted:

I thought of that too, is the only way for Tyrrell to be in his mind without turning the whole 1st season into nonsense

Elliot killed Tyrrell and then he snapped and split again into a third personality

I don't want it to be true but it is possible

edit: there are 2 problems with this theory though:

1- it does not explains the gifts or the calls
2- it does not explains the message mr robot got

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Sep 18, 2016

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

precision posted:

I like when both possibilities are pretty much equally likely, they could have really gone in either direction and still made a good show, which makes the eventual reveal, or the moments where we're questioning it, all the less predictable and more interesting.

It's like when Game of Thrones has two cool interesting characters fight to the death, you don't want either of them to die but you know one will, though they kinda hosed that up later on.

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot
The show has explicitly given signals for Tyrell being dead and alive simultaneously and it is pretty clever. I find it a little concerning that it is so difficult to tell what is going on in the penultimate episode but if next week delivers then I will be pleased.

Another note: the phone calls were traced to a house. Knowles lived in an apartment.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
The best thing about the show is that our confusion often mirrors Elliott's confusion.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

If the show ended with the true reality of the world being completely unknowable, I'd be fine with that, it'd probably be pretty cool.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

a dog from hell posted:

The show has explicitly given signals for Tyrell being dead and alive simultaneously and it is pretty clever. I find it a little concerning that it is so difficult to tell what is going on in the penultimate episode but if next week delivers then I will be pleased.

Another note: the phone calls were traced to a house. Knowles lived in an apartment.

Manhattan and the upper east side is not a place that has 'houses'.

edit: except for the Schinasi mansion if you want to be pedantic

kill me now fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Sep 18, 2016

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I seriously doubt that Tyrell is alive. How could he have remained hidden for so long, with the whole world(including ecorp) looking for him? And then he just walks around in a business suit and gets into a taxi?

Also, regarding all the robot theories: Tyrell Corporation was the name of the replicant company in Blade Runner.:tinfoil:

Max
Nov 30, 2002

waitwhatno posted:

I seriously doubt that Tyrell is alive. How could he have remained hidden for so long, with the whole world(including ecorp) looking for him? And then he just walks around in a business suit and gets into a taxi?

Also, regarding all the robot theories: Tyrell Corporation was the name of the replicant company in Blade Runner.:tinfoil:

Dark Army is pretty reliable.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Megaspel posted:

If the show ended with the true reality of the world being completely unknowable, I'd be fine with that, it'd probably be pretty cool.
It's statements like this that make writers think they can get away with remaking Lost. Please, no.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:
Loved the Friends reference again;

*clapclapclapclap*
Another Lolita ref;

And the poster we all love. [no, not three olives;]

:eyepop: 24/7 gurl, clack.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Are there multiple voices during the "mind awake, body asleep" mantra?

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Yes, it sounded to me like Christian Slater as well.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I think I heard a woman's voice as well.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I think that's just from the two voices plus some audio effects applied over it.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone talk about the Maniac Mansion reference during the commodore loading scene yet.

DaveKap posted:

It's statements like this that make writers think they can get away with remaking Lost. Please, no.

I don't mean bullshit like 'it's actually all a dream/purgatory/fart space', but rather there being multiple, but well developed and thought out possibilities, each one interesting. Like how it's still interesting whether or not Tyrell is alive, either possibilities are interesting.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
https://twitter.com/whoismrrobot/status/777698993442807811

:hellyeah:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

He was up against some real heavy hitters so that's even more impressive.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Holy poop

nopants
May 29, 2004

waitwhatno posted:

Obviously, the brownouts are triggered so Tyrell can move around stealthily.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

nopants posted:

Obviously, the brownouts are triggered so Tyrell can move around stealthily.

I've got a blob on my phone screen and read this as "browncoats are triggered" and I was trying to figure out how the whole situation was upsetting the Firefly nerds.

XyZeR
Apr 22, 2006
Polygon Tamer
https://vine.co/v/5nM6aHvjxOJ

Clever

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Ultimate troll would have been to have his twin brother go up first, then interrupt him halfway through the speech. Super glad he got the award though!

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Is there QRcode (or barcode) is while Angela is walking through the house? There are a lot of black and white squares and lines.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Collateral posted:

Is there QRcode (or barcode) is while Angela is walking through the house? There are a lot of black and white squares and lines.

No, I only noticed the squares over people's faces as she walked by all the family photos. I'm assuming those are families affected by what E-Corp did all those years ago.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Max posted:

No, I only noticed the squares over people's faces as she walked by all the family photos. I'm assuming those are families affected by what E-Corp did all those years ago.

Those are coloured squares. This is before, in the sitting room (pictures, pillows and the carpet) and the kitchen (circular tins on the cupboard top).

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

counterfeitsaint posted:

Elliot makes a big deal about asking if the driver can see Tyrell, but Tyrell gets in the cab and gives him directions and he responds and starts driving, so obviously he can see someone sitting there giving him directions.

Wasn't the cabbie just sitting there waiting for a destination from Elliot until Tyrell got in?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Max posted:

My assumption was that they were pictures of the people who actually lived in that house normally when the DA isn't using it.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

muscles like this? posted:

My assumption was that they were pictures of the people who actually lived in that house normally when the DA isn't using it.

They were all in a line right in front of the test room, which is a little strange for family pictures. You'd expect them to be spread out all over the house.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

sportsgenius86 posted:

Wasn't the cabbie just sitting there waiting for a destination from Elliot until Tyrell got in?

Yes. In the context of this show though, it is not a good/definitive clue since if Tyrell is a split from Elliot then the visualization could still allow for the cabbie response (as we have seen from Mr Robot/Elliot interaction in the past).

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

We have two red rotary phones now, right?

Woden
May 6, 2006

Dante80 posted:

Yes. In the context of this show though, it is not a good/definitive clue since if Tyrell is a split from Elliot then the visualization could still allow for the cabbie response (as we have seen from Mr Robot/Elliot interaction in the past).

Cabbie asked Elliot where to before Tyrell even got in, so good evidence for them being the same person but not definitive proof.

Also here's a translation from Reddit on what the cabbie says:

What made me agree to this.."
"Get in the car or don't, doesn't matter."
"Hurry the hell up."
"I don't have all day, are you gonna tell me or not?"
"..He's blown a fuse." (Which in Egyptian means going crazy, not angry)
"Shut the gently caress up!"
"Unbelievable!"
"Shut the gently caress up, you're driving me insane!"
"gently caress you!"

Going with Elliot=Tyrell plus some extra thing like they did with the MR Robot/sister reveal in the first season. Hopefully the Bladerunner and Back to the Future nods will turn into something but who knows.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Personally I think it was deliberately ambiguous, but is a red herring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

There's no Tyrrell = elliot reveal. If anything the reveal would be that Tyrrell is dead and elliot is just seeing him now. For Tyrrell to have always been elliot makes no sense.

• Locked thread