Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

rms is a middle-aged man with crippling nerve damage

go loving figure he has assistants to help him continue his mission despite physical infirmity

free software fat man posted:

I refuse to have supermarket frequent buyer cards of my own if they have any identifying data, because they are a form of surveillance. I am willing to pay extra for my privacy and to resist an abusive system.

However, I don't mind using someone else's card or number once in a while, to avoid the extra charge for not using a card. That doesn't track me.

I see that cellular phones are very convenient. I would have got one, if not for certain reprehensible things about them.

When I need to call someone, I ask someone nearby to let me make a call. If I use someone else's cell phone, that doesn't give Big Brother any information about me.

I absolutely refuse to take Amtrak trains because they check passengers' ID (not all the time, but it could happen at any time). Please join me in boycotting Amtrak until it stops requiring identification.
oh look hes not refusing to do these things because of any physical condition but because prolonged exposure to pacifica radio has convinced him that the republicans are going to use the information to throw him, a white passing jew, in the fema camps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Gazpacho posted:

oh look hes not refusing to do these things because of any physical condition but because prolonged exposure to pacifica radio has convinced him that the republicans are going to use the information to throw him, a white passing jew, in the fema camps

also, parrots

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies, ]]]
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

I never felt connected with RMS's ideology, especially when his 40-year tirade started from not being able to print something, a problem which the GNU project still has not solved to this day. It turns out printers are poo poo regardless if you get the code to the driver or not.

Like, FSF changed its recommendation on a specific laptop to *denounce* it when researchers found a secret backdoor way of being able to upgrade the firmware in a laptop. I assume the logic is that un-upgradable proprietary firmware is indistinguishable from hardware, so it's not a violation, but being able to upgrade firmware means that you're now running proprietary software. It seems bizarre that the FSF recommends hardware that is the most closed, but when you have bizarre logic like that, you come to weird conclusions.

gcc was once the toolkit that everybody stole and so it took great pains in its codebase to ensure that nobody could easily use gcc in a license-compatible way that was part of a closed-source toolkit by dumping internal data structures. But now clang exists, and RMS is busy burying his head in the sand while clang makes great strides and attracts great developers writing cool tools with its APIs.

RMS's view of networked computing and computer security are extremely dated and you can tell it in everything he says.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Free software was a mistake. It's nothing but trash.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

atomicthumbs posted:

Free software was a mistake. It's nothing but trash.

darwin seems p needs suiting to me

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Last Chance posted:

jobs did more for computers than stallman and he didn't even write code.
killing himself in an esoteric fashion was very nice of jobs

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Gazpacho posted:

that's just good opsec

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

I never felt connected with RMS's ideology, especially when his 40-year tirade started from not being able to print something, a problem which the GNU project still has not solved to this day. It turns out printers are poo poo regardless if you get the code to the driver or not.

printers are still poo poo but we live in an open systems world, and rms did not

there were no postscript or pcl printers in the early 1980s. all the problems you have ever had with printers, combined, are trivial compared to the misery back then

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
well it was awfully nice of the folks at adobe and microsoft to create that open printing world, so that proprietary OS users don't have to endure the printer pain that linux users still do today

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
anyway... source mage? anyone tried it?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

i prefer adobe type manager

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

printers are still poo poo but we live in an open systems world, and rms did not

there were no postscript or pcl printers in the early 1980s. all the problems you have ever had with printers, combined, are trivial compared to the misery back then

Yes, I'm glad RMS and the GNU project were the ones to solve closed-source printing.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

Yes, I'm glad RMS and the GNU project were the ones to solve closed-source printing.

don't underestimate the FSF's impact on open systems

i know, you weren't born yet, but try to imagine a time when the buzzword wasn't "open source," because we hadn't gotten that far

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Apple has done more with AirPrint to make printers open systems than RMS and the FSF ever did.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

pseudorandom name posted:

Apple has done more with AirPrint to make printers open systems than RMS and the FSF ever did.

lol

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

same, but cups

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

hmm no

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

software "freedom" is pretty record-setting in how much time and feeling is invested in a political cause when adjusted for its real importance

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

software "freedom" is pretty record-setting in how much time and feeling is invested in a political cause when adjusted for its real importance

hoa meetings

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
i just like rms' assumption that anybody at the nsa or the fbi will ever care enough about him to read his emails

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Soricidus posted:

i just like rms' assumption that anybody at the nsa or the fbi will ever care enough about him to read his emails

I, too, have been in a coma since early 2013

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i also like his assumption that if they really wanted to, using someone else's computer would somehow stop them from doing it

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Soricidus posted:

this genre of arguments can just go off and die already

why do so many people resort to the law of jante when arguing against stallman or the fsf

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Tankakern posted:

this genre of arguments can just go off and die already

why do so many people resort to the law of jante when arguing against stallman or the fsf

not sure what that has to do with what i posted? i'm laughing at his paranoid attitude to surveillance when there is no reason for a government agency to target him personally, unless you have some reason to believe he's involved in international terrorism or w/e?

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

idiot

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Raluek posted:

same, but cups

nah, cups still allows device drivers so it does nothing to coerce printer manufacturer behavior

OTOH, selling a billion phones and tablets that will only speak to printers using one network protocol and only produce documents using one format compels printer support

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Soricidus posted:

didn't rms famously use to leave his password blank on publically accessible multiuser machines, and only stopped once he had had his account trashed several times?

that at the very least seems a more entertaining kind of delusion

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Soricidus posted:

i'm perfectly fine with him securing his e-mail, that's not what i posted about. i mean the guy really has had his whole ideology shaped by orwell and pacifica and somehow believes that the government just wants to snoop on everyone and everything without any of the biases that are documented to exist. its the most self-centered perversion of privacy activism ever

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Sep 18, 2016

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Gazpacho posted:

i'm perfectly fine with him securing his e-mail, that's not what i posted about. i mean the guy really has had his whole ideology shaped by orwell and pacifica and somehow believes that the government just wants to snoop on everyone and everything without any of the biases that are documented to exist. its the most self-centered perversion of privacy activism ever

he's the guy willing to actually suffer the consequences of protest you milquetoast wanker

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Richard Stallman is a little strange, but he's an idealist of the best kind, and he actually works for what he believes in. I think that should be commended. Help I'm stuck in Mr. Rogers mode from the tech bubble thread.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

ahmeni posted:

he's the guy willing to actually suffer the consequences of protest you milquetoast wanker
what a tragedy that the government declines to play its part in his imagined drama

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
have you considered hacker news instead of this forum because I feel you'd get a lot more support for your view with some equally appalling people

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
wow rude

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
yeah i know arguments sometimes get a little heated in the Pos but there's no need to compare people to hn posters

let's keep the debate at least a little bit civil here

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

nah, cups still allows device drivers so it does nothing to coerce printer manufacturer behavior

OTOH, selling a billion phones and tablets that will only speak to printers using one network protocol and only produce documents using one format compels printer support

cups is an apple product :q:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

didn't rms famously use to leave his password blank on publically accessible multiuser machines, and only stopped once he had had his account trashed several times?

that at the very least seems a more entertaining kind of delusion

fsvo "public" meaning his local university community

that was an experiment in radical communitarian thought, not an actual security posture. lol @ using ITS on the open internet

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Gazpacho posted:

god forbid a man stand up for basic human rights in a way you find "self-centered" lol

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
yes god should forbid it because it amounts to a spectacle of activism that changes nothing for those who are actually targeted for surveillance. it's the "am i being detained" of computer

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Sep 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Gazpacho posted:

yes god should forbid it because it amounts to a spectacle of activism that changes nothing for those who are actually targeted for surveillance. it's the "am i being detained" of computer
someone detain this of computer, tia