Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Medullah posted:

Next time you watch the original Westworld just remember that it's written by Michael Crichton, and see if you notice any common themes amongst it and Jurassic Park.

I think that's why I watched it in the first place I no joke prefer the JP novel to the movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

etalian posted:

The same song was used in Blue Velvet and helped to reboot his musical career.
I'm not sure he can have another run anymore, man.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Professor Shark posted:

I think I watched it like 8 years ago. HBO has it on their site, I'll have to rewatch this weekend

It's pretty dated by acting and filming standards now but still a good movie. Once you watch it you'll scratch your head as to how they're gonna stretch it to 5-7 seasons. I'm guessing they're gonna just take the idea as a seed and go in it's own direction. I'm hoping there be more than 3 "Worlds".

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Croatoan posted:

It's pretty dated by acting and filming standards now but still a good movie. Once you watch it you'll scratch your head as to how they're gonna stretch it to 5-7 seasons. I'm guessing they're gonna just take the idea as a seed and go in it's own direction. I'm hoping there be more than 3 "Worlds".

I will be so happy if theres a dino one

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Getting Ed Harris for this series was a brilliant move.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

R-Type posted:

Getting Ed Harris for this series was a brilliant move.

One two punch with both Ed Harris and Anthony Hopkins.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Geekslinger posted:

One two punch with both Ed Harris and Anthony Hopkins.

I would absolutely watch them fight.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Rhyno posted:

I would absolutely watch them fight.

I want to see a scene like from True Romance where Dennis Hopper and Christopher Walken have a conversation. That would be amazing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

teraflame posted:

Utopia couldn't even get off the ground because of budget concerns, I was really looking forward to that one.

There was something weird going on between Fincher and HBO because he had another show in development just kind of blow up at the same time.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Didn't the US Utopia somehow end up getting the original canceled?

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Didn't the US Utopia somehow end up getting the original canceled?

Don't think so, I remember the viewers dropped pretty bad during series 2.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I would love to watch a documentary on HBO show development

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Professor Shark posted:

I would love to watch a documentary on HBO show development

Supposedly they shoot tons of footage documenting production of their shows but it always.ost all ends up vaulted.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Saw a bunch of review for the pilot episode online.

I guess it's out now?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

etalian posted:

Saw a bunch of review for the pilot episode online.

I guess it's out now?

In this (pretty good) article http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2016/10/sympathy-for-the-robot/497531/ the author mentions having seen the first three episodes, so reviewers probably all got those.

Just a matter of them being leaked.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

MrBling posted:

In this (pretty good) article http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2016/10/sympathy-for-the-robot/497531/ the author mentions having seen the first three episodes, so reviewers probably all got those.

Just a matter of them being leaked.

I guess it's screener time, according to online the first episodes will be out in October.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Does James Marsden just...not age? Edit: Nvm, he's only 42. For some reason I thought he was a good deal older than that.

Show looks good, I hope it does enough numbers to stick around for a few seasons.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Sep 17, 2016

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I just wanna say that my wife is friends with someone who worked on the show and she said Anthony Hopkins was really nice and even gave her a hug. That's pretty rad.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I was listening to a thing on CBC the other day and they had a clip from a comedy show for a guy who played one of the ambulance attendants in The Silence of the Lambs. This guy was by no means a professional iirc and he kept screwing up the few lines he had, mostly because they were under intense pressure to get the scene shot quickly but also because he was working with Anthony Hopkins.

I guess Hopkins was a complete gentleman, putting up with having to shoot a simple scene ~25 times because the extra couldn't get his 4 3 2 1 line correct (I guess they were cutting lines from the script on the spot), and only mentioned to the director that the lights were making the fake skin and blood mask very uncomfortable (they had to keep redoing the fake skin and blood mask each time they reshot the scene)

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

jurassic park wild west west with Ex Machina

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Professor Shark posted:

I was listening to a thing on CBC the other day and they had a clip from a comedy show for a guy who played one of the ambulance attendants in The Silence of the Lambs. This guy was by no means a professional iirc and he kept screwing up the few lines he had, mostly because they were under intense pressure to get the scene shot quickly but also because he was working with Anthony Hopkins.

I guess Hopkins was a complete gentleman, putting up with having to shoot a simple scene ~25 times because the extra couldn't get his 4 3 2 1 line correct (I guess they were cutting lines from the script on the spot), and only mentioned to the director that the lights were making the fake skin and blood mask very uncomfortable (they had to keep redoing the fake skin and blood mask each time they reshot the scene)

I listened to that too. The guy was a solid storyteller and Hopkins seemed like a class act.

So someone mentioned earlier that in a kind of twist Ed Harris's character isn't a robot like we assumed. I'm not sure if they were being serious, but it would be kinda cool if he was like some ex-partner of Hopkins who had a change of heart.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

LesterGroans posted:

So someone mentioned earlier that in a kind of twist Ed Harris's character isn't a robot like we assumed. I'm not sure if they were being serious, but it would be kinda cool if he was like some ex-partner of Hopkins who had a change of heart.

From that Atlantic article: In perhaps the show’s most wicked inversion, Brynner’s bald, middle-aged gunslinger is explicitly echoed in a figure played by Ed Harris; but whereas Brynner’s character was an android who killed human beings, Harris’s is a human being who takes gruesome pleasure in murdering androids.

Not sure if it even needs spoiling, but better safe than sorry I gues.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Not sure I like the idea of Ed Harris NOT playing a terminator robot in this show

e: my bad

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Sep 20, 2016

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Dammit, spoilers. :(.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yeah I wish I hadn't clicked on that

I think I may avoid the thread until the premier

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

life is killing me posted:

Not sure I like the idea of Ed Harris NOT playing a terminator robot in this show

e: my bad

Well, he's just playing a robot terminator instead.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Ramin Djawadi of Game of Thrones is the lead composer for Westworld.

:vince:

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

etalian posted:

Ramin Djawadi of Game of Thrones is the lead composer for Westworld.

:vince:

Makes sense, considering he also did Jonathan Nolan's previous show "Person of Interest".

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

He also has experience scoring things about robots.

Basically, Ramin Djawadi rules.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

LesterGroans posted:

I listened to that too. The guy was a solid storyteller and Hopkins seemed like a class act.

From the second? trailer, it looks like (possible twist/spoiler) Jimmi Simpson's character might be a guest that's also an android? It looks like there was a quick shot of him chugging milk while getting shot in a saloon, and it looked like the milk was spraying out of the bullet holes.

When they first released casting info, I figured Marsten would be taking the Brolin role from the original, while Simpson would play the Richard Benjamin role, but from these trailers and early reviews, I'm not so sure.

Crash74
May 11, 2009
Is the first episode out tomorrow?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yeah, hard to believe this thread lasted until the real premiere

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Zaggit, your time is now

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Ninety minutes and a $25 million pricetag for the premier!

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm excited for it, but I also love the original movie. :shrug:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Empress Brosephine posted:

I'm excited for it, but I also love the original movie. :shrug:

I expect they're going to be very different animals. The original movie is a fairly self contained storyline, I think this is going to be a lot more spanning (and I can see it spreading to the other -worlds, Medieval World, Rome World, etc.).

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

BTW guys I apologize for my false start on the thread way back in July 2015, I think I'd knocked back a few that night and I could have sworn I had read something about it coming out soon

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

No need to apologize but now you have OP responsibilities to get that poo poo updated. :)

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Fuckk... well I guess I have things to do tomorrow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Professor Shark posted:

Fuckk... well I guess I have things to do tomorrow

Just FYI, Zaggitz was really chomping at the bit to do this thread (he's a big fan of Jonah Nolan's last show, Person of Interest) (BTW if any of you in this thread haven't seen Person of Interest, the gently caress is wrong with you?). So if you don't want to do the work, he might be willing to start a new thread with an effort OP.

• Locked thread