Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Octy
Apr 1, 2010

I'd forgotten Mexican wrestler dude existed. Dull episode except for the bits with Eph and Quinlan and the SEAL vampire guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Octy posted:

I'd forgotten Mexican wrestler dude existed. Dull episode except for the bits with Eph and Quinlan and the SEAL vampire guys.

I genuinely can't remember where their plot ended last season, so when this one started and Gus was just locked in his apartment with his strigoi mother I didn't know if it made sense or not. But it's not a terribly original or interesting story, and not a fresh one for this series either.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
the gus storyline is laughably terrible. I mean, because he's a charmless, unintelligent, unsympathetic mama's boy who refuses to accept reality, and he essentially got 1 or 2 neighborhood watchmen (not even villains) killed and still ditched the rotting play-doh evil knievel corpse in the process, lol. Poor Lee Tergesen, saddled with another thankless paycheck role in piss poor material

Also the maincast letting the incredibly conspicuous master worm crawl into the sewer unhampered is basically a repeat of S1 when they let him get away after standing and gawking in silence at his burnt husk. ahahaha

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I was surprised when Angel showed up, thought he died last season while helping the restaurateurs escape the quarantine.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So the Master worm is going to inhabit Zack now right?

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Rhyno posted:

Oh almost certainly

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Rhyno posted:

Poor Eichorst, always a bridesmaid, never a host for The Master. :(

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Also the maincast letting the incredibly conspicuous master worm crawl into the sewer unhampered is basically a repeat of S1 when they let him get away after standing and gawking in silence at his burnt husk. ahahaha

This is kinda my problem right now: I feel like nothing has happened. There are some pacing problems with the source material but I really feel like we're back at the ending of S1. I guess the Quest for the Lumen counts as S2 but we haven't really seen anything from the Lumen yet to make it cool beyond a McMuffin. I feel like they could do some cool manuscript stuff (the design on the show remains pretty awesome) or some super cheesy magic (because why not embrace the stupid cheese?).

As it stands now, there is just a lot of padding. It's almost like the writers have no idea where to go. Which is strange since they have source material to work with.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Shbobdb posted:

This is kinda my problem right now: I feel like nothing has happened. There are some pacing problems with the source material but I really feel like we're back at the ending of S1. I guess the Quest for the Lumen counts as S2 but we haven't really seen anything from the Lumen yet to make it cool beyond a McMuffin. I feel like they could do some cool manuscript stuff (the design on the show remains pretty awesome) or some super cheesy magic (because why not embrace the stupid cheese?).

As it stands now, there is just a lot of padding. It's almost like the writers have no idea where to go. Which is strange since they have source material to work with.

Well it's only been 3 weeks. :v:

I think part of the problem is that they are unwilling to pull the trigger on the Vampire Apocalypse. I've only read to the end of book 2, but it's pretty jarring at the end and I hear tell things get really crazy in book 3.. It would basically be a whole new show, with dramatically different budgetary concerns.

Love Crime
Apr 4, 2016

Shbobdb posted:

This pretty much describes the entire show from the beginning though. I only started watching after season 2 started because I saw a random youtube video about the Ancients and was like whoa this looks really interesting so started watching the first episode and the buildup was great. Then over the course of a season they took every promising idea possible and managed to make it the dullest, most lukewarm poo poo imaginable.

Every single episode feels like you're on your prom night again. Starts so promising, the night builds up the anticipation, you finally get back to the hotel room and start getting down to business only to find out the girl you're with has a dick and by then you're so invested you just tell yourself well this is weird but I might as well go with it but then 10 years down the road you don't even remember anything except the dick part.

And just so we're clear on the metaphor, the show equivalent is obviously Eichhorst being a pineapple infused tentacle rapist.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Love Crime posted:

This pretty much describes the entire show from the beginning though. I only started watching after season 2 started because I saw a random youtube video about the Ancients and was like whoa this looks really interesting so started watching the first episode and the buildup was great. Then over the course of a season they took every promising idea possible and managed to make it the dullest, most lukewarm poo poo imaginable.

Every single episode feels like you're on your prom night again. Starts so promising, the night builds up the anticipation, you finally get back to the hotel room and start getting down to business only to find out the girl you're with has a dick and by then you're so invested you just tell yourself well this is weird but I might as well go with it but then 10 years down the road you don't even remember anything except the dick part.

And just so we're clear on the metaphor, the show equivalent is obviously Eichhorst being a pineapple infused tentacle rapist.

I like where you are going. Could you tell me more about your futa prom and incorporate more tentacle rape directly?

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I like how Quinlan has been prepping for this for literally thousands of years but when the time comes his big ambush plan is 'walk over a hill and shoot with uzis.' :lol::lol:

Oh, and definitely don't assume The Master will have prepared for a trap or anything, he'll come alone just like he said he would. If you can't trust a guy like that who can you trust?

E: That prom night allegory started fine but it should end with finding out your partner has a case of barbie crotch. A dick would at least be a memorable surprise.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Sep 14, 2016

cjg
Sep 5, 2003

Eph taking on the baddies all by himself with a book was quite ridiculous.

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

cjg posted:

Eph taking on the baddies all by himself with a book was quite ridiculous.

The Master said he didn't actually want to kill or turn Eph. Not that the show isn't chock full of people who can't fight at all taking on super powered vampires in melee combat with blood that will turn you into a vampire.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

NmareBfly posted:

I like how Quinlan has been prepping for this for literally thousands of years but when the time comes his big ambush plan is 'walk over a hill and shoot with uzis.' :lol::lol:

To be fair, if he'd been handed an Uzi back in Roman times, he probably would have said "Holy poo poo, I could totally kill The Master with this!" :haw:

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Uzi's didn't make the scene dumb, each side waiting on the other made it dumb. Apparently hollywood writers only understand turn based combat.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

wormil posted:

Uzi's didn't make the scene dumb, each side waiting on the other made it dumb. Apparently hollywood writers only understand turn based combat.

Actually they did. The master hunter walked in from a random direction and stated firing from hip with the least accurate load out possible while the master of a legion of demons stood there all alone, doing nothing.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

steinrokkan posted:

Actually they did. The master hunter walked in from a random direction and stated firing from hip with the least accurate load out possible while the master of a legion of demons stood there all alone, doing nothing.

It sounds like you are agreeing with me. Uzi's are what he had ... I guess, that doesn't matter, the point is that during an attack everyone would be moving.

DecentHairJelly
Jul 24, 2007

I don't want Fop goddamnit
Can we just all agree that everyone, EVERYONE, on this show sucks. Even the ones that people in this thread like?

Fet sucks. He believes he can kill a centuries old strigoi-human hybrid (that he's seen move faster than any human) with a piece if rebar. Really dude, why are you threatening him?

I like Quinlan, but he sucks too. Dual wielding mini uzis? Can you get more inefficient? Use your bone sword man, that thing is rad as hell.

Yes, even Eichorst sucks. The strigoi butler can single handedly wipe out a team of SEALs, but those four or so gang bangers back in season two who had the Lumen? Don't gently caress with them. No, better buy the book like some upstanding citizen.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

wormil posted:

It sounds like you are agreeing with me. Uzi's are what he had ... I guess, that doesn't matter, the point is that during an attack everyone would be moving.

UZIs are a thing he had but also we've seen the protagonists using rifles, or he could have charged in with a sword, I don't want to get into military fetishism territory, but dual-wielding SMGs and firing fom distance isn't a good way to assassinate somebody.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

DecentHairJelly posted:

Use your bone sword man, that thing is rad as hell.

He tried that, the Master just stepped out of the way and laughed at him. I don't remember if it was the bone sword but that isn't the point.

steinrokkan posted:

...but dual-wielding SMGs and firing fom distance isn't a good way to assassinate somebody.

The uzis didn't fail, they worked, but only because the master stood still, like you posted earlier. You seem to be violently agreeing with me. :shrug:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

wormil posted:

The uzis didn't fail, they worked, but only because the master stood still, like you posted earlier. You seem to be violently agreeing with me. :shrug:

OK, two awful failures of screenwriting combined to create a result that was equally awful and non sensical, but worked in so far that it pushed the plot in the direction they wanted.

DecentHairJelly
Jul 24, 2007

I don't want Fop goddamnit

wormil posted:

He tried that, the Master just stepped out of the way and laughed at him. I don't remember if it was the bone sword but that isn't the point.

You've proved my point even further. Quinlan double sucks.

/\ /\ /\ also /\/\/\

The master probably saw the two mini uzis and figured that at that distance he would be safe, no need to lightning dodge. Also, did you know that those uzi pistols can mag-dump in like 2 seconds?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The only reason why they made as much progress as they did is because Abraham tossed over a silver grenade.

So, there we go, centuries old vampire hunter guy got out planned and needed an assist from an old man. Quinlan has no strategy. It his only plan in this was "I just have to find the master."

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

DecentHairJelly posted:

The master probably saw the two mini uzis and figured that at that distance he would be safe, no need to lightning dodge. Also, did you know that those uzi pistols can mag-dump in like 2 seconds?

The Master saw Quinlan coming at him and was just confused as to why Q just keeps trying to ice skate uphill.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I could not stop laughing at Eph just going at them with the priceless book.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Vishass posted:

The Master said he didn't actually want to kill or turn Eph.

The master keeps on doing the whole super-villain thing of not directly eliminating heroes when he has a chance to take him down.

Eph may be a dumb drunkard but at least by killing/turning him it would be fullproof way of removing a threat off the table.

The book beatdown was the best part of the episode.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
So the exploder vampire guys have little c4 bombs in them. Somehow I think c4 would be the wrong choice for the tactic of throwing worms on people. Are worms strong vs explosions?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Blood of 70 human virgins huh, laying it a little thick there aren't you, Strain?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Blood of 70 human virgins huh, laying it a little thick there aren't you, Strain?

Would 72 be too on the nose?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Is it just me or did the master give up on the whole, assimilate the world thing, at some point and switch to 100% mess with Eph mode?

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

I like the idea of Eichhorst having to semi-competently manage things without the Master. He doesn't have quite the same presence, but he does get results.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

MiddleOne posted:

Is it just me or did the master give up on the whole, assimilate the world thing, at some point and switch to 100% mess with Eph mode?

Well, Eichorst is the one running around doing the whole world conquering thing which leaves the Master with a lot of downtime so he has to keep himself busy somehow.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Fett: still awesome
Setrakian: rock em sock em grandpa
Everyone else: should die messily

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

tessiebee posted:

Fett: still awesome
Setrakian: rock em sock em grandpa
Everyone else: should die messily

fett is trying to knock up half of NYC

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

muscles like this? posted:

Well, Eichorst is the one running around doing the whole world conquering thing which leaves the Master with a lot of downtime so he has to keep himself busy somehow.

It's like Christianity, God spends his time screwing with people, Job, Jonah, Abraham, Noah; while Jesus does the heavy lifting.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

etalian posted:

fett is trying to knock up half of NYC

He lives in the moment. I kinda love that in the midst of the vamp apocalypse he just freaking loves his life.

Love Crime
Apr 4, 2016
What this show is really missing is an actor who doesn't know he's in an extremely lovely TV show.

I would watch the gently caress out of this show with commentary tracks of a Christian Bale type actor who tried to make sense of all this bullshit.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
loving Zach is apparently more at ease living with a pack of vampires than he ever was with his father. I hate that retarded piece of poo poo so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Thanks mom for letting me live in this bunker room forever without leaving.

• Locked thread