Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe

Sound posted:

how long had the guy been in the US?

if scary islam actually got a bunch of sleeper agents and they all start doing poo poo like this it's gonna mess stuff up real good

200lbs at 5'6"? probably a few years at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

View from my desk

That Citibank in the middle is on the corner where it happened, I'll be keeping an eye on it

E: You know, in case it blows up more

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Data Graham posted:

View from my desk

That Citibank in the middle is on the corner where it happened, I'll be keeping an eye on it

that's a great view you have a cool desk

weak wrists big dick
Dec 18, 2012

good job. you are getting legitametly upset because I won't confrom to your secret internet cliques gross social standards. Sorry I don't like anime. Sorry I don't like being gross on the internet. Sorry that you are getting caremad.

your stupid shit internet argument is also only half true once I get probated, so checkmate anyways but nice try.

]
9/11 2: the same as 9/11 but with an ied this time and on a much smaller scale

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

8-Bit Scholar posted:

that's a great view you have a cool desk

you have no idea what his desk looks like you liar

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

When I got off the train at Penn, the ladies outside handing out free newspapers were yelling out encouragement like "It's gonna be all right! We ain't scared!"

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Apparently the bomber used a location from a The Division DLC.

The bombing:

West 23rd between 6th & 7th ave

The game:

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
He didn't even kill anybody, why you guys still talking about this.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Accretionist posted:

The bombing:

The game:

looks like an arbitrarily set waypoint

hey you guys the bombing is set in the same city as video game "spider man" for the psx, what can this mean

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Accretionist posted:

The bombing:

The game:

Has anybody checked whether there is a Pokestop there

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
Does this scrub terror cell have a name? I need a new adjective for hilarious and impotent.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

reallivedinosaur posted:

hey you guys the bombing is set in the same city as video game "spider man" for the psx, what can this mean

it is also where Ghostbusters took place, so clearly this is the work of Gozer and/or Vigo

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
Lets just through my life away so I can totally own a dumpster and put a nice dent in Johnny five. Its what god wants. lol.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
What happened with that car that was pulled over last night by the FBI? Doesn't seem to be in the news today.

VR Native American
May 1, 2009
Gun Saliva

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

What happened with that car that was pulled over last night by the FBI? Doesn't seem to be in the news today.

The people where questioned but ultimately let go.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
I can see muslims celebrating from my window.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

ItBurns posted:

I can see muslims celebrating from my window.

Toss them some vodka. On fire.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

InterFaced posted:

Does this scrub terror cell have a name? I need a new adjective for hilarious and impotent.

ISUK

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Got a text about a manhunt this morning.

You gotta have some good connections to get a text to everyone in nyc

thats not about a wind gust

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

InterFaced posted:

"False Flag Bombers For Trump"

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/777891386553167872

They got him.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

"He certainly seemed to do virtually nothing to cover his tracks," the official says.

lol

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps
Another naturalized citizen who came over with his family. Really what is amazing/scary is that refugees aren't doing these attacks, it's second gen immigrants who are reasonably economically well off.

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Let's not jump to any conclusions about his religion or motivation! Lots of people in NYC are angry at dumpsters! - mayor Diblasio

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Reports are that all the bombs used old flip phones as triggering devices, so it's likely that the NJ and NY incidents are related, but why would he use pressure cookers in New York and pipe bombs in New Jersey?

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

BgRdMchne posted:

Reports are that all the bombs used old flip phones as triggering devices, so it's likely that the NJ and NY incidents are related, but why would he use pressure cookers in New York and pipe bombs in New Jersey?

its what he had?

maybe he wasnt quite stupid enough to try and buy multiple pressure cookers at the same time, and too lazy to drive to different stores

e: also possible he thought he was totally throwing the cops off his trail

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Roylicious posted:

Another naturalized citizen who came over with his family. Really what is amazing/scary is that refugees aren't doing these attacks, it's second gen immigrants who are reasonably economically well off.

You can take the Muslim out of the middle East but you can't take the *shits pants forever*

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
So bombs made with cellphones:

the idea is that when you call the number it triggers some sort of detonator? What happens if someone calls the number after you've set up the bomb but havent placed it? Are you literally at the whim of random callers? Is there something about flip phones that get less calls? Do texts and notifications trigger the explosions?

These are probably the wrong questions to be asking on the internet in 2016. Please ignore me FBI and friends

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I guess what I'm asking is if NYC can text everyone to warn about a manhunt, would that have a chance to detonate whatever they're looking for?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'm honestly really surprised they caught him alive, it seems like every time something like this happens the guy ends up killed in a firefight

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Madcosby posted:

the idea is that when you call the number it triggers some sort of detonator? What happens if someone calls the number after you've set up the bomb but havent placed it? Are you literally at the whim of random callers? Is there something about flip phones that get less calls? Do texts and notifications trigger the explosions?

These are probably the wrong questions to be asking on the internet in 2016. Please ignore me FBI and friends

If the FBI were smart they'd set up an autodial system that rang every cell phone in the country every half hour

E:fb

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Madcosby posted:

I guess what I'm asking is if NYC can text everyone to warn about a manhunt, would that have a chance to detonate whatever they're looking for?
Maybe that's what they were trying to do.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

Data Graham posted:

I'm honestly really surprised they caught him alive, it seems like every time something like this happens the guy ends up killed in a firefight

From reading the article it seems like this guy was less a terrorist ready to die for the cause and more some dude pissed off about the city forcing his restaurant to close at 10pm after getting numerous complaints from neighbors about late night drunk people.

Madcosby posted:

Just guessing but I bet they are set to only trigger if they receive a call from a specific number, not just if they receive any call at all. I also bet some idiot somewhere sometime has blown themselves up in exactly the way you're describing, though.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
the speaker being powered is what actually activates the device, the old flip phones don't need to have service if the alarm app is used as a timer

or you would disable the ringtones for all but the phone you intend to detonate it from

none of this is new, there's a whole community of people hacking old phones to control things remotely

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

All I care about is that idiot who posted the hoax tumblr page and how far they're going to get their poo poo pushed in by law enforcement.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
people watch too many movies, they think a bomb is some complicated device

"do i cut the red wire or green wire" *clock ticks faster!* *commercial break*

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Do It Once Right posted:

All I care about is that idiot who posted the hoax tumblr page and how far they're going to get their poo poo pushed in by law enforcement.

hahaha nothing will come of it because they have the "right" political views.

e: fake bomb threats, fake racist threats, are all the rage on college campuses and nothing ever comes of it. charges are filed then dropped.

poorlifedecision
Feb 13, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Every picture of 6th and 23rd after the explosion was a bunch of people standing around gawking. Yeah no hang out and see if another bomb goes off guys.

Then again I live three block from the explosion and didn't hear anything so maybe no one was worried about this fat little dude's lovely bombing technique and placement.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

Do It Once Right posted:

I hope it is pretty far because that stuff is in really poor taste and not that funny. Person should catch an IRL probate.

reallivedinosaur posted:

hahaha nothing will come of it because they have the "right" political views.

e: fake bomb threats, fake racist threats, are all the rage on college campuses and nothing ever comes of it. charges are filed then dropped.

Someone did a bomb threat against my school not too long ago and he was arrested and charged with making terroristic threats which is a felony and last I heard his life is ruined still. All he wanted to do was get out of an exam.

Sounds like you're projecting to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

reallivedinosaur posted:

people watch too many movies, they think a bomb is some complicated device

"do i cut the red wire or green wire" *clock ticks faster!* *commercial break*

well they can be, depending on who is putting them together

• Locked thread