Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Decus posted:

DQVIII 3DS was confirmed to have english voice acting

Given the ludicrous amount of text to translate in VII (that was the main reason it was never localised, after all) I expected it to have English text only, but the copy I received this past Friday said French and Spanish too. Does anyone have the PAL version? I'm curious as to the language options in the EU version.

Edit: Misread the situation a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
TGS reports from people said that DQ8 WILL have english voice acting, but not orchestral ost.

edit: Late on this

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

JustJeff88 posted:

Given the ludicrous amount of text to translate in VII (that was the main reason it was never localised, after all) I expected it to have English text only, but the copy I received this past Friday said French and Spanish too. Does anyone have the PAL version? I'm curious as to the language options in the EU version.

Edit: Misread the situation a bit.

VII was localized, though. You thinking of 5 and 6 or something?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Supremezero posted:

VII was localized, though. You thinking of 5 and 6 or something?

I think he means why the remake was never localized until now. The script for DW7 is really bland and dry and unremarkable for how dang long it is

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

The midi files don't seem too out of place considering the sound effects are all synth.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

i'm a little disappointed the new translation didn't keep "are you trying to chat up my girl, you self-satisfied son of a bitch?!"
on the whole i still like it though

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
I haven't used a single seed yet because I don't know who's best to use them on

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Use them on your main character. Unless it's a Life Seed, which can go to Maribel. Keifer doesn't need any seeds, he gets plenty of growth in the stats he needs already.

I forgot to buy a second edged boomerang for the Alltrades section :(

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Wait, am I supposed to not just stuff all the seeds down the MC's throat? That's what I always do in DQ

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Good Citizen posted:

I haven't used a single seed yet because I don't know who's best to use them on

Hero: strength seeds + some agility seeds or just shove everything in his mouth
Maribel: some life + resilience seeds because she needs some bulk*
Keifer: do not use seeds on him
[4th party member]: MP seeds + possibly some life or resilience seeds*
[5th party member]: a lot of agility seeds + wisdom seeds*
[6th party member]: doesn't really need seeds otherwise same as Hero*

* if you plan on using them in your final party

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Question: There is a little chameleon on the MC's shoulder in the DQVII PS1 cover. But it's not seen in any of the 3DS artwork (that I have seen.) Does he have a chameleon buddy?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You can get infinite seeds from doing the travelers tablets so I wouldn't sweat it

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Just use seeds whenever and wherever because even more generally you don't need them. Shove all your strength seeds into Maribel, who cares. Also, if you want to make somebody more magic then don't use wisdom seeds on them, use MP seeds. Wisdom doesn't yet alter magic damage in VII--that starts in VIII.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Wait then what does wisdom do?

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Detective No. 27 posted:

Question: There is a little chameleon on the MC's shoulder in the DQVII PS1 cover. But it's not seen in any of the 3DS artwork (that I have seen.) Does he have a chameleon buddy?

i don't think lizardfriend has survived to the remake

to be fair, lizardfriend pretty much didn't exist outside some promo art and the ps1 intro

In Training posted:

wisdom has an effect on spell damage/healing but to what degree has always been really unclear to me. there is a mini-game that opens later on where you get a prize for having the wisest, strongest, or prettiest man or woman in the world. are at least there was in the original, i assume it's still in

AriadneThread fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Sep 19, 2016

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

In Training posted:

It's basically a debuff dodge stat, according to the wiki

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

So wait what's this about evolving monster classes and stuff? Am I screwing myself here with going full ham on Monsters, or are all monsters just not able to drop their hearts with enough patience? Otherwise why would the Big Book of Beasts say they can? Is that why it was so easy for me to get Slime Hearts compared to the others? Should I be using them on the others? Why don't they explain this more in the game?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

AriadneThread posted:

i don't think lizardfriend has survived to the remake

to be fair, lizardfriend pretty much didn't exist outside some promo art and the ps1 intro

wisdom has an effect on spell damage/healing but to what degree has always been really unclear to me. there is a mini-game that opens later on where you get a prize for having the wisest, strongest, or prettiest man or woman in the world. are at least there was in the original, i assume it's still in

Oh. :(

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

AriadneThread posted:

i'm a little disappointed the new translation didn't keep "are you trying to chat up my girl, you self-satisfied son of a bitch?!"
on the whole i still like it though

Awww, they removed that line? It was a good one though.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I just unlocked the Haven. Goddamn, I didn't realize something similar to DQ9's grotto system was in this game. Now it'll never end for me.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Did anyone mention S-E announced Joker 3 Professional at TGS? It looks like a pretty typical expansion and it'll let you transfer your data from the original version, out February in Japan.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
One thing I have noticed about the remake of VII is that they removed a very helpful bug from the original PS1 version. In Dragon Warrior 7, any battle that took place on the ship while sailing always counted towards levelling up your character class, no matter how easy the battle was. Now I have to do it the hard way :(

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

DeadBonesBrook posted:

One thing I have noticed about the remake of VII is that they removed a very helpful bug from the original PS1 version. In Dragon Warrior 7, any battle that took place on the ship while sailing always counted towards levelling up your character class, no matter how easy the battle was. Now I have to do it the hard way :(

They moved that functionality to the tablet dungeons btw. At least from my experience, I definitely get job levels killing enemies I'm wayyyy over leveled for.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Does anybody know when I unlock the monster meadow stuff? Seems like it's the only major system I haven't opened up yet.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I know it's only a few weeks until the election, but I'm putting my hat in the ring. If I get elected, I promise to enact a law to get every past unreleased and future Dragon Quest localized releases, street pass features changed to internet features, and I'm gonna make Square Enix pay for it.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
It's been a while since I've played a Dragon Quest so I forget. Is this an RPG where when the MC dies, but other party members are still alive, you lose?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Nope, the only failure is party wipe but you don't reset to a save or anything, you get sent back to the last town you rested in with half your money gone. Like Pokemon

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Unmature posted:

It's been a while since I've played a Dragon Quest so I forget. Is this an RPG where when the MC dies, but other party members are still alive, you lose?

I don't think Dragon Quest has had an actual lose condition after the soft-lock in NES DQ1

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

You only lose if you stop trying!!!!

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Thanks guys. But now I have another DQQ.

I thought I was doing this right and now that I check the guide Nintendo released it seems to back me up. In Ballymalloy (present) the dude in the building says he has a tablet fragment and will trade it for some rocks from the mine. But there's a guy blocking the mine and I can't figure out how to get in. Am I doing something wrong or is there another entrance?

Drashin
Feb 26, 2013

Unmature posted:

Thanks guys. But now I have another DQQ.

I thought I was doing this right and now that I check the guide Nintendo released it seems to back me up. In Ballymalloy (present) the dude in the building says he has a tablet fragment and will trade it for some rocks from the mine. But there's a guy blocking the mine and I can't figure out how to get in. Am I doing something wrong or is there another entrance?

If I remember correctly if you tell him that you are not looking for colored rocks he will give you the tablet which would allow you into the mine.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Did you just talking to the dude blocking the way? Pretty sure all I did was talk to him and he let me in.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Drashin posted:

If I remember correctly if you tell him that you are not looking for colored rocks he will give you the tablet which would allow you into the mine.

This was it. Thanks!

Purple Monkey
May 5, 2014

:phone:Hello
How does the job system work in VII? Is it like IX where if you change to a job you haven't done before your character goes back to level 1 or is it like Final Fantasy V where your character level and the job level are two seperate things?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Just to clarify, I was referring to DQVII 3DS taking so long to localise because it does have such a huge amount of text, and thus that was why I was surprised that they did French and Spanish as well. Curious if they did German and/or Italian for the PAL version.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Purple Monkey posted:

How does the job system work in VII? Is it like IX where if you change to a job you haven't done before your character goes back to level 1 or is it like Final Fantasy V where your character level and the job level are two seperate things?

You mean VI and yes it's like that one.

Edit: Sorry, I read too fast. Like DQVI is what I mean but it's a lot like FFV too.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Unmature posted:

This was it. Thanks!

If you haven't reached the second island yet, talk to Pike before unlocking the second island. You get an item from him that becomes mandatory later and the game actually stops you during a dramatic moment and asks you to go back. And of course zoom doesn't work even though you'll probably get it around the time this event happens.

It was kind of funny because I got the item beforehand and the game is like "we need something that you overlooked, you have to go back" and the hero just pulls it out and everyone says "oh, you have it already..."

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Gotta say, I'm disappointed the accents aren't sillier (yet). Only just now beat the second island though.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

precision posted:

Gotta say, I'm disappointed the accents aren't sillier (yet). Only just now beat the second island though.

Oh. They're about to ramp up the silly accents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

precision posted:

I generally like silly accents, but playing DQIV on iOS is drat near impossible (besides the controls) because I can't stand reading the faux Scottish accent that the first chapter asserts. And when I think I'm through, the second chapter does the same thing with Russian.