Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
muslims really like doing terrorism, has anyone else noticed that? Like whats the deal with all the terrorism??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
was this even terrorism though? Was Johnny five sentient?

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Roylicious posted:

Except in that case that kid was just 'watch me bring some empty briefcase with wires poking out and have everyone trip out' which is basically what Wozniac did (Woz's was worse though) and he didn't actually threaten anyone with anything.

Call up a school and threaten to bomb it and see what happens to you.

Woz actually built poo poo. If that kid had even so much as soldered together an off the shelf electronics hobby clock kit, I'd be totally on his side.

Do It Once Right posted:

I demand the highest possible standards from 14 year old non-whites getting into DIY electronics. If you don't have your doctorate in electrical and mechanical engineering, just gtfo of the country. Yes, as an adult I build stupid goofy poo poo all the time, but I've earned the right to rest on my laurels. If you're not building me the next iPhone or working 16 hours a day in a sweatshop, you can gently caress right off, kid.

lol

XK fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Sep 19, 2016

VR Native American
May 1, 2009
Gun Saliva

InterFaced posted:

was this even terrorism though? Was Johnny five sentient?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnoZ39hqctk

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Nooner posted:

muslims really like doing terrorism, has anyone else noticed that? Like whats the deal with all the terrorism??

Well in general people use violence to express themselves and force their will upon others.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.

Do It Once Right posted:

I am shocked, *Shocked* that bigots are still mad over clockboy.

It was a lovely project that looked and was dumb.

kindermord
Jun 5, 2003
ducks is chickens with swimmy toes

Do It Once Right posted:

I demand the highest possible standards from 14 year old non-whites getting into DIY electronics. If you don't have your doctorate in electrical and mechanical engineering, just gtfo of the country. Yes, as an adult I build stupid goofy poo poo all the time, but I've earned the right to rest on my laurels. If you're not building me the next iPhone or working 16 hours a day in a sweatshop, you can gently caress right off, kid.

i agree that a kid whose sister made a bomb threat a few years earlier and whose family is bff with the butcher of darfur should be able to walk around his school with a replica diehard movie prop bomb and face no criticism whatsoever and should instead be given invitations to the whitehouse and MIT and facebook and also be awarded 15 million dollars for the horrible indignity of being questioned about it

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
The kid's project was dumb, the cops were dumber. This isn't hard.

kindermord
Jun 5, 2003

InterFaced posted:

The kid's project was dumb, the cops were dumber. This isn't hard.

don't make zero tolerance school zones that require intervention by law enforcement and then get mad when the cops show up

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Clearly the guy was not a real islams.

I hate yankees
Apr 29, 2008

Do It Once Right posted:

this is a shameful post

can they charge the terrorist muslim lone individual not motivated by religion with the death of j5???

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

It was a lovely project that looked and was dumb.

Just say "he was 14." It takes less keystrokes.

kindermord posted:

don't make zero tolerance school zones that require intervention by law enforcement and then get mad when the cops show up

And then 4 more cops show up to intimidate a boy into confessing to a crime he didn't commit. And then 5 adults fail even at that.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

I hate yankees posted:

this is a shameful post

can they charge the terrorist muslim lone individual not motivated by religion with the death of j5???

i think destruction of govt property over a certain dollar value is a felony, similar to if you stole and wrecked a cop car

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps
Dunno why it's so hard to say everyone involved was dumb instead of having to defend one side or another like you personally have any stake in it.

Wutang-Yutani CORP
Sep 25, 2005

CORPORATIONS
RULE
EVERYTHING
AROUND
ME

Do It Once Right posted:

goddamn you are a moron

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Roylicious posted:

Dunno why it's so hard to say everyone involved was dumb instead of having to defend one side or another like you personally have any stake in it.

because the school staff and police acted appropriately

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
what an idiotic derail

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Do It Once Right posted:

Just say "he was 14." It takes less keystrokes.

And then 4 more cops show up to intimidate a boy into confessing to a crime he didn't commit. And then 5 adults fail even at that.

I breadboarded and hand soldered a remote voice control circuit for robots when I was 12. I didn't become national news, get a scholarship, or get to meet the President. I won $15 in the science fair.

Maybe if I'd jammed the guts of my VCR into a Trapper Keeper, I'd have been promoted to a cabinet position.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

reallivedinosaur posted:

because the school staff and police acted appropriately

It made the national news somehow, so no they didn't.

Anyway this is a dumb derail. The point is that if you call in a bomb threat you're not just going to get let off with a warning.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Roylicious posted:

Anyway this is a dumb derail. The point is that if you call in a bomb threat you're not just going to get let off with a warning.

"somehow".

only one side of the story is allowed to be told and that side is obviously a lie

your a dumb derail

kindermord
Jun 5, 2003

Do It Once Right posted:

goon project: make the same kind of 'clock' and try to take it on a plane. alternatively, try to take it on a white house tour and ask if you can show your cool clock to the president.

report back when you are released a few weeks later and tell us how many cops "intimidated" you

Wutang-Yutani CORP
Sep 25, 2005

CORPORATIONS
RULE
EVERYTHING
AROUND
ME

so this guy left fingerprints all over his bombs lol

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

reallivedinosaur posted:

"somehow".

only one side of the story is allowed to be told and that side is obviously a lie

your a dumb derail

hmm good point but have you considered

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Roylicious posted:

It is a dumb derail, and I'm glad to see so many of the abject racists from the clockboy thread reflexively show up to peddle their awful breitbart opinions, and defend a school district that called on a retired teacher (whose only qualifications were 'I listen to Glenn Beck all the time') to examine the threat of islam in their school district.

Don't worry, she found that actually, the schools were Christian to the exclusion of all other religions, so everybody patted themselves on the back on a job well done. Not today, mohammedians.

Sethex
Jun 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Agag is a hero fighting against a tide of SA goons advocating for the destruction of the entire islam race.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSK9AnXrdKs

You guys should be proud a muzzie learned to use a rock for something that isn't stoning women and homosexuals!

#tolerance
#religionofpeace

Chemtrail
Dec 29, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Do It Once Right posted:

nice post bro

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Roylicious posted:

People crying real tears of rage while furiously typing hyperbole on the Internet will never not be an easy target of ridicule and mockery, which just makes those feeling persecuted type harder, until they snap and throw a bomb in a dumpster, assault people wearing turbans, shoot black kids in the back, etc.

See: everything around you.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
heh get this, what if instead of the muslim kid making the clock -- HARAMBE THE GORILLA MADE IT!!!!!! :roflolmao:

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
We all just need to lower our standards for bombs and clocks IMO.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

Nooner posted:

heh get this, what if instead of the muslim kid making the clock -- HARAMBE THE GORILLA MADE IT!!!!!! :roflolmao:

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Do It Once Right posted:

It is a dumb derail, and I'm glad to see so many of the abject racists from the clockboy thread reflexively show up to peddle their awful breitbart opinions, and defend a school district that called on a retired teacher (whose only qualifications were 'I listen to Glenn Beck all the time') to examine the threat of islam in their school district.

Don't worry, she found that actually, the schools were Christian to the exclusion of all other religions, so everybody patted themselves on the back on a job well done. Not today, mohammedians.

Nice.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

InterFaced posted:

We all just need to lower our standards for bombs and clocks IMO.

This guy went 2/8 on his bombs, with no home runs. If our standards go any lower, all terrorism will be eliminated.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

and the movie four lions continues to be eerily accurate

Wutang-Yutani CORP
Sep 25, 2005

CORPORATIONS
RULE
EVERYTHING
AROUND
ME

hahaha this is tight

I hate yankees
Apr 29, 2008

Do It Once Right posted:

nice meltdown

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Four days ago

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/16/nyregion/man-shot-after-striking-off-duty-new-york-officer-with-meat-cleaver-authorities-say.html

Man Shot After Striking Off-Duty New York Detective With Meat Cleaver, Authorities Say

SEPT. 15, 2016

quote:

A man wielding an 11-inch meat cleaver near Pennsylvania Station and resisting police officers’ efforts to catch him on Thursday slashed an off-duty detective in the head before being shot by the police, the authorities said, in an episode that sent commuters and tourists fleeing during the evening rush.

It started when the police confronted a man who was trying to remove a “boot” device attached to a tire on his car, officials said, and escalated into a chaotic chase through Midtown Manhattan that ended with officers shooting at him 18 times.

The man, Akram Joudeh, 32, was critically injured and taken to Bellevue Hospital Center, the police said. The off-duty detective, identified by the police as Brian O’Donnell, was in serious condition. Two other officers were taken to the center with injuries that were not life-threatening.

quote:

The episode began around 5 p.m. at West 32nd Street and Broadway when several officers responded to a report that Mr. Joudeh was trying to remove the device, Police Commissioner William J. Bratton said at a news conference on Thursday night. The police said they believed Mr. Joudeh, whose last known residence was in Queens, was living out of his car.

The chief of department, James O’Neill, said Mr. Joudeh pulled a cleaver from his waist band, threatened the officers and then fled. At one point, the chief said, the man mounted the front grille of a marked police car that had responded to the call. As officers pursued him, a uniformed sergeant “deployed a Taser, striking the suspect without apparent effect,” Chief O’Neill said.

As Mr. Joudeh ran along West 32nd Street, the off-duty detective, who was headed to Penn Station after a day in court, saw the pursuit and tried to stop him. He was struck in the head with the cleaver, “causing an approximate six-inch gash from his temple about down to his jaw,” the chief said.

Officers then fired at the man, striking him several times, the chief said.

Officials said Mr. Joudeh had several past arrests, but they would not elaborate on his criminal history. In 2010, Mr. Joudeh pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor of petit larceny and was sentenced to 90 days, according to public records. In 2009, he was charged with grand larceny and criminal possession of stolen property, but those felonies were dismissed, records show. He pleaded guilty to unauthorized use of a vehicle and was fined, but served no time.

This needs to be looked into. How the gently caress do felonies get dismissed with no time served?

quote:

Asked about the possibility that the attack might have been tied to terrorism, Chief O’Neill said, “As part of our investigation, nothing’s off the table.”

The chase left commuters and tourists scurrying for cover as officers flooded the area during the start of the evening rush near a transit hub. Mr. Bratton addressed concerns that so many shots were fired in such a busy area.

“Sufficient shots were fired to deter the attack on my officers,” he said.

Richard DeWald, a nurse, said he narrowly avoided Mr. Joudeh during the pursuit. “He just seemed wild and crazy,” Mr. DeWald, 56, said. “First there was yelling, and then all I heard was the gunshots.”

Witnesses said they saw Mr. Joudeh on the corner of 32nd Street and Avenue of the Americas, clutching a large meat cleaver to his chest. They said he was silent and his face was expressionless.

“He didn’t say a word, that’s the thing,” said Jonathan Schneier, who works at a software company and watched the episode unfold from across the street.

Mr. Schneier said the officers, shouting “Drop the weapon,” pointed their guns at the man, who appeared “flustered.”

“He just looked like a crazy guy with a huge weapon,” he said. “He just literally looked like a deer in headlights.”

Mr. Schneier said the man began “sprinting as fast as he could” and was pursued by police. About 10 seconds after that, Mr. Schneier said, he heard gunshots.

“I called my girlfriend right away and told her what happened,” he added. “It’s New York. Stuff happens.”

Robert Mennella of Bridgewater, N.J., said he had left the subway station at 32nd Street and Seventh Avenue and was headed to Penn Station.

He said he saw a number of unmarked and marked police cars racing along 32nd Street when he heard gunshots.

“Everybody turned around,” he said. “Some people stood there with their phones to take pictures, and I just took off.”

He said he ran to Penn Station and saw officers from the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey and from New Jersey Transit running upstairs.

“I just told them ‘shots fired,’ and they started running faster,” he said.

Lina Gana, a laser technician at Cosmed Laser and Spa on Avenue of the Americas, said she heard gunshots that “sounded like a machine gun.”

It was 18 shots you goof.

quote:

Another technician, Nailya Howe, who has worked in the area for three years and at the spa for more than a year, said she was surprised by what happened.

“I’ve never heard gunshots here before,” she said. “This is a very quiet area.”

Ms. Gana agreed. “Ten minutes before the shooting, I was walking down the street getting food for everyone,” she said. “And then this happened.”

Correction: September 15, 2016
An earlier version of this article misspelled the surname of a witness. He is Jonathan Schneier, not Scheier.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

I'm the ramen.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
felony charges get dismissed if there is not sufficient evidence to get a conviction at trial, this isn't an unusual thing for a cop to write a check that the DA can't cash, so to speak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimh
Sep 18, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Helical Nightmares posted:

Four days ago

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/16/nyregion/man-shot-after-striking-off-duty-new-york-officer-with-meat-cleaver-authorities-say.html

Man Shot After Striking Off-Duty New York Detective With Meat Cleaver, Authorities Say

SEPT. 15, 2016

This needs to be looked into. How the gently caress do felonies get dismissed with no time served?

Y-Hat posted:

i only heard about that yesterday. i guess no one really bothered to make a big deal about it even though a common crime like this gets ramped up to terrorism solely by virtue of the attacker's religion

• Locked thread