Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

VikingSkull posted:

yo for real I live in cow country new york and it's all lifted diesels and poo poo

new york is super hillbilly on average

Literally every square inch of this country is redneck once you move away from the urban areas, regardless of state, coast, elevation or general political affiliation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

VikingSkull posted:

yo for real I live in cow country new york and it's all lifted diesels and poo poo

"upstate" = "above 150th street"

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

notZaar posted:

Literally every square inch of this country is redneck once you move away from the urban areas, regardless of state, coast, elevation or general political affiliation.

there are little hippy towns scatted here and there, mostly in the west but there are some in the south and east as well.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
hilbly

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

VikingSkull posted:

on average statewide it's about half and half with a relatively high immigrant population compared to the rest of the country

those cities are mostly black and hispanic so i would guess you don't spend much time there

black people work on farms and lift diesels too

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Earwicker posted:

there are little hippy towns scatted here and there, mostly in the west but there are some in the south and east as well.

Why do those not count as redneck in your opinion? They still like trucks and greasy food and fishing and crap

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
fishing is fun and relaxing you should try to get out of the city for once in your life

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
also greasy food owns and so do trucks and so does weed

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

XK posted:

Please tell me of the civil war battlefields north of Albany, NY.

There was a civil war memorial in Brockport.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/07/08/top-5-must-see-civil-war-era-sites/

Went to a few of these including Old Stone Fort and Saratoga.

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/historical-sites/2015/07/battlefields_military-forts_upstate_ny_historical_sites_visit.html

XK posted:

What do pro-German tats have to do with the Revolutionary war?

You clearly aren't referencing the revolutionary war. Scrolling back through your posts, I have no clue what you are even trying to argue.

Learn to read.

reallivedinosaur posted:

what is a "pro german" tat? if you meant swastika you would have said so

are pro-german and pro-nazi supposed to mean the same thing, or is this some "donald drumpf" stupid poo poo?

Correct. No swastikas. This visit was about 7-8 years ago so way before Donald Trump. I'll explain below

Earwicker posted:

for real though I think some goon went to some town in upstate new york and saw like one person with tattoo that they interpreted as "pro-German" and is exaggerating this to be the entirety of the state. probably some biker with an iron cross or something like that

that or it's a picture of the Brazillian flag crossed out with 7-1 underneath

Shut the gently caress up Earwicker. Idiot. Go visit there with a camera and show us what you find.

What I observed reallivedinosaur, which was initially pointed out by my military colleague, were tattoos on inner forearms, necks, collarbones and backs. The tattoos were of stylized eagles that at first glance looked like american bald eagles but were correctly identified by my collegue as WWI german unit symbols. No these were not warhammer 40 double eagles either I would have identified that immediately.

And stuff like this.

Specifically the "x" with a vertical line through it. Above are SS symbols. I did NOT notice jail "white power" tats like fists, 88, etc.

This stuff wasn't obvious, at least to me. That's why I described them as "pro-german" tats.

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot
what has the empire state ever done to anyone ;_;

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

notZaar posted:

Why do those not count as redneck in your opinion? They still like trucks and greasy food and fishing and crap

its just a different culture, for example lot of hippies are vegan/vegetarian and dislike like hunting or fishing, which i think are generally pretty important to most rednecks

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
bullshit

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

InterFaced posted:

The dumpster/robot jihadist looked more goon than brown to me but what do I know?

If you're talking about the guy on the stretcher, I thought that was one of the ppl hit by the Chelsea bomb's shrapnel, not the bomber?

e: also the sequel to 9/11 was worse than the sequel to Independence Day. smdh.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Helical Nightmares posted:

Shut the gently caress up Earwicker. Idiot. Go visit there with a camera and show us what you find.

lmao i've been all over upstate new york many times. i dont doubt you saw some people with tattoos but trying to make it out like its some common thing typical of the region is ridiculous

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Earwicker posted:

lmao i've been all over upstate new york many times. i dont doubt you saw some people with tattoos but trying to make it out like its some common thing typical of the region is ridiculous

Maybe if you took your head out of your rear end and bothered to be observant a tourist wouldn't be able to show you up.

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot

And stuff like this.

drat those are some badass symbols

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Madcosby posted:

So bombs made with cellphones:

the idea is that when you call the number it triggers some sort of detonator? What happens if someone calls the number after you've set up the bomb but havent placed it? Are you literally at the whim of random callers? Is there something about flip phones that get less calls? Do texts and notifications trigger the explosions?

These are probably the wrong questions to be asking on the internet in 2016. Please ignore me FBI and friends

Some Russian terrorists got blown up a few years ago, when their cell phone company sent them a New Year's text message. That was pretty lol.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
i dont believe that guy and his military colleagues were going around checking peoples backs and collar bones with their little tattoo/ufo identification chart

i think that is all made up

i think he saw a biker and got scared

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
SWIM can confirm that w33d is good

VR Native American
May 1, 2009
Gun Saliva

dookifex_maximus posted:

what has the empire state ever done to anyone ;_;

Our apples are too good, other states jelly.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
also lol at "all of usa outside of the cities is white"

I suppose every city kid believes this

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

reallivedinosaur posted:

i dont believe that guy and his military colleagues were going around checking peoples backs and collar bones with their little tattoo/ufo identification chart

i think that is all made up

i think he saw a biker and got scared

How would I know specifically about the DOE base in upstate new york for training navy officers on a nuclear powerplant.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
also nazis are bad, nazis are like the white people muslims, bad and kill people too much

Moltke
May 13, 2009
a guy i know from albany got a reichsadler tattooed on his shoulder as soon as he turned 18, because he thought it looked badass without knowing what it was. lots of dumbasses up there

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

I would like to know more about bundle of sticks axe, fig 42. Also retarded dog, fig 41.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps

Nooner posted:

also nazis are bad, nazis are like the white people muslims, bad and kill people too much

what about this nazi

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

How would I know specifically about the DOE base in upstate new york for training navy officers on a nuclear powerplant.

how would i know specifically about fantasy island, lovely theme park outside of buffalo, and where I think you actually went

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
Guys, please stop fighting! This is just what Chelsea bomber wants!!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

InterFaced posted:

I would like to know more about bundle of sticks axe, fig 42. Also retarded dog, fig 41.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fasces

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
2000 years later everyone still rips off the Romans.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

could be a local necromancer arranged to have the bodies of a few german wwi battalions imported to upstate new york and then set about awakening them one at a time and reintegrating them into the local culture as sleeper agents, but couldn't afford laser treatments for their tattoos.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

InterFaced posted:

If your serious fig 42 iirc was originally a Roman fasces. I'm speculating that the upper symbols of the "x"es with the vertical line are abstracted symbols of fasces.

I'm betting 41 is actually a wolf's head likely referencing Romulus and Remus of Roman mythology. Supposedly they founded Rome. Or Romulus did. I don't recall.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
so roman mythology is racist now?

and also german i guess?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Well yeah

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

If your serious fig 42 iirc was originally a Roman fasces. I'm speculating that the upper symbols of the "x"es with the vertical line are abstracted symbols of fasces.

I'm betting 41 is actually a wolf's head likely referencing Romulus and Remus of Roman mythology. Supposedly they founded Rome. Or Romulus did. I don't recall.

I was serious. Thank you for the insight. It was very hard not to call that axe the f word. I'm screaming it at my dog right now because I wanted to say it so bad.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
Rome wasn't racist.

All were welcome to be slaves.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

everybody likes the fasces

Linnear
Nov 3, 2010

Roylicious posted:

what about this nazi

...... is this real? She looks ridiculously beautiful and my first thought was photoshop.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Roylicious posted:

Rome wasn't racist.

All were welcome to be slaves.

they also had leaders of every color of the rainbow too, was a pretty big empire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
yeah now that you guys pointed out what it is I remember seeing it a bunch of places. I guess I'm not used to seeing a bundle of sticks by itself next to a bunch of SS symbols.

• Locked thread