Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Following up on the archive drive discussion, does anybody know how a torrent program writes its data to disk?

If the blocks are immediately written to their final location then I should be fine directly downloading to the archive drive. But if they get moved around, I should set up a cache folder on another drive.

I'm trying to google this problem but not really getting any definitive answers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EpicCodeMonkey
Feb 19, 2011

NihilCredo posted:

Following up on the archive drive discussion, does anybody know how a torrent program writes its data to disk?

If the blocks are immediately written to their final location then I should be fine directly downloading to the archive drive. But if they get moved around, I should set up a cache folder on another drive.

I'm trying to google this problem but not really getting any definitive answers.

Depends on the client. Transmission, for example, has a configuration option to pre-allocate the files to avoid fragmentation.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

NihilCredo posted:

Most torrent clients have an option to preallocate files. However torrent clients don't write their files to disk start-to-finish, they write randomly into the file as blocks become available. The archive drive may well be shuffling the physical blocks as it tries to minimize the amount of rewriting it's doing from the random writing.

You should use a non-archival cache drive and have it copy completed files over when they're finished, if possible. Otherwise try to keep a lot of free space for it to shuffle in, just like you would do with an SSD.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Sep 8, 2016

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

BoyBlunder posted:

So my Synology DS-214 is starting to age a bit, and I'm looking to expand past its storage capabilities.

Is there a FreeNAS for Dummies somewhere that I can use as a guide for speccing out a new system?

If its not running 6.x yet (and maybe even if it is) you could build an xpenology box and migrate your drives over.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
There's a thread on FreeNAS forums advising which motherboard, cpu and ram works well.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
I have an old toshiba laptop that I want to try and use as a local area network drive through my router. I was thinking of installing Fedora server or something like that on it. The goal is for it to be useable as network drive for file transfer between different laptops in the house. It need not be connected to the Internet, however that might work. Any guides on how to set up something similar?

Nulldevice
Jun 17, 2006
Toilet Rascal

Lichy posted:

I have an old toshiba laptop that I want to try and use as a local area network drive through my router. I was thinking of installing Fedora server or something like that on it. The goal is for it to be useable as network drive for file transfer between different laptops in the house. It need not be connected to the Internet, however that might work. Any guides on how to set up something similar?

You'd hook the laptop up to the network and set up Samba to share files to the Windows clients, and NFS to the Linux clients. Check out the documentation for Fedora for how to set something like this up.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
So, the OP hasn't been updated in a while and I haven't seen it come up in conversation going back a number of pages, so I will just ask. What is this threads opinion of Windows Storage Spaces?

It seems like a pretty simple way for me to get the benefits of parity protection without having to dedicate a separate box for a NAS (and also to stay inside windows where I am most comfortable). Are there any dramatic downsides? I am interested in them in 2 different scenarios:

Home Use where I store a bunch of TB worth of music movies and photos (plex etc)
Small business use where it would store mundane business data (probably use mirroring not parity there) shared between a handful of users. (We have for real backups on and offsite, I know raid is not backup).

Terrible idea? or decent when my needs or simple?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

emocrat posted:

So, the OP hasn't been updated in a while and I haven't seen it come up in conversation going back a number of pages, so I will just ask. What is this threads opinion of Windows Storage Spaces?

It seems like a pretty simple way for me to get the benefits of parity protection without having to dedicate a separate box for a NAS (and also to stay inside windows where I am most comfortable). Are there any dramatic downsides? I am interested in them in 2 different scenarios:

Home Use where I store a bunch of TB worth of music movies and photos (plex etc)
Small business use where it would store mundane business data (probably use mirroring not parity there) shared between a handful of users. (We have for real backups on and offsite, I know raid is not backup).

Terrible idea? or decent when my needs or simple?

There is a lot wrong with storage spaces. I really highly recommend you use Stablebit Drive Pool. Just spend the 30 bux and enjoy it. You can span your shares/folders among any amount and sized hard drives. All files are stored as standard NTFS.. and easily recoverable.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Nulldevice posted:

You'd hook the laptop up to the network and set up Samba to share files to the Windows clients, and NFS to the Linux clients. Check out the documentation for Fedora for how to set something like this up.

Thanks, there seems to be plenty of guidance on Samba so I'm sure it will be easy enough!

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Thumbs.db is a hidden file. As you can probably guess by the name, it's where the file system stores the thumbnails it automatically generates for files in the directory.

Are there any errors in the event logs?

It turns out that one of the HDD's were dying. I have no idea how that would make individual folders go wonky, but since changing it out, it seems to be working much better.

It kept giving "read errors" . Though the health says it was good in the HDD smart analyzer.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Is FreeNAS the go-to OS now? I'm used to windows and drivepool and what not but I'm not totally unfamiliar with *nix environments. Should it be easy enough for me?

Also where can I calculate how much PSU i need to power x number of WD reds or such?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I dunno if it's the "go-to" OS. People here use a wide variety of things.

FreeNAS seems good. Personally I use Ubuntu Server and manage things myself. Hardly knew a thing about Linux before I set it up years ago.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
FreeNAS itself is pretty easy to grok, especially once it's set up. It took me much longer to learn the fundamentals of ZFS, like pools and all those layers.

It probably wasn't necessary to learn all that going in but I was deathly afraid of doing something "wrong" and then have to restructure things while juggling the garbage I'd filled it up with

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

I dunno if it's the "go-to" OS. People here use a wide variety of things.

FreeNAS seems good. Personally I use Ubuntu Server and manage things myself. Hardly knew a thing about Linux before I set it up years ago.

Ubuntu + hardware raid or something else?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Gozinbulx posted:

I'm going to guess ZFS on Ubuntu? It's pretty great on 16.04.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Gozinbulx posted:

Is FreeNAS the go-to OS now? I'm used to windows and drivepool and what not but I'm not totally unfamiliar with *nix environments. Should it be easy enough for me?

Also where can I calculate how much PSU i need to power x number of WD reds or such?

It's incredibly powerful, well-documented, and has decent free support through their forum. The addition of jails/plugins certainly makes it flexible.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
There's all sorts of options out there and the crazy hoarders that need FreeNAS or something else to handle 20TB+ of crap are overrepresented on the Internet. Lots of people get by fine with Synology's OS, some even manage to be happy with Drobo, and there's a surprising amount of people using classic Linux mdraid. My own FreeNAS setup is in continuous flux and I'm slowly migrating to a CentOS or Ubuntu server because I'd rather work with LXC than FreeBSD jails from a professional perspective instead of splitting up my limited time with even more OSes to try to gain some expertise in.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Gozinbulx posted:

Twerk from Home posted:

I'm going to guess ZFS on Ubuntu? It's pretty great on 16.04.

This^.

(It's been great for me on 14.04.)

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

sharkytm posted:

It's incredibly powerful, well-documented, and has decent free support through their forum. The addition of jails/plugins certainly makes it flexible.

The impending Docker support will really push it ahead of most of the other options for an "appliance" OS.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Yeah freenas 10 is adding docker. It's in beta right now, I don't plan on testing it out until release.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Ill stop using xpenology when a freenas or something has something like SHR

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
Just wondering. I have the following needs:

Small footprint
12 TB usable (running out of space on a DS413 with 6TB usable)
able to transcode video/run plex
able to run nzbget and sonarr
can run docker

I just bought a Synology DS916+ and 4 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HHAJRU0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. Total damage was about 1250. They haven't shipped yet and I am inclined to cancel if there is a better solution. I don't mind spending slightly more for something way better.

I have a Linux box with an i5 and 16GB ram that I am using for plex, nzbget, and sonarr but I am transitioning over to it to use as a development machine and want to offload those services because I could hose the system constantly. I don't think I want to lose it to a NAS solution. The case is some giant lian li thing with wheels and I think it can take 8 drives or something (maybe 6).

Fake edit: Checked and the case is a PC-V1200Bplus II I really love that stupid rear end case.

Demonachizer fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Sep 20, 2016

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

IOwnCalculus posted:

The impending Docker support will really push it ahead of most of the other options for an "appliance" OS.

What's Docker?

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!

Have you been living under a rock, er?

^supposed to be poetic

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

Don Lapre posted:

Ill stop using xpenology when a freenas or something has something like SHR

I braved the xpenology forums yesterday and it seems they finally have these DSM 6.0 source code. Maybe we will get a release before Synology moves to 7.0.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

suddenlyissoon posted:

I braved the xpenology forums yesterday and it seems they finally have these DSM 6.0 source code. Maybe we will get a release before Synology moves to 7.0.

I'm still on 5.0, never updated to 5.2 cause little need too.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Sometimes its hard to remember that everyone doesn't follow developer, devops, and other news.

Docker is this totally amazing thing thats taking large parts of the world over (where "world" means people/organizations that deploy apps and services). One way of thinking about it from a high level is like running a virtual machine except there's basically no overhead from virtualization.

For FreeNAS users it means that you'll be able to deploy apps on your device that are totally self contained and dont' require you to install a bunch of dependencies.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

Sometimes its hard to remember that everyone doesn't follow developer, devops, and other news.

Docker is this totally amazing thing thats taking large parts of the world over (where "world" means people/organizations that deploy apps and services). One way of thinking about it from a high level is like running a virtual machine except there's basically no overhead from virtualization.

For FreeNAS users it means that you'll be able to deploy apps on your device that are totally self contained and dont' require you to install a bunch of dependencies.

Isn't FreeNAS based on FreeBSD, therefore it has jails support since ... a long time? Or did they actually port docker itself over to FreeBSD? Jails (while serving similar function as docker) is quite different in implementation. Not much of a difference in daily usage though.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Volguus posted:

Isn't FreeNAS based on FreeBSD, therefore it has jails support since ... a long time? Or did they actually port docker itself over to FreeBSD? Jails (while serving similar function as docker) is quite different in implementation. Not much of a difference in daily usage though.

Well, I don't have any idea about FreeNAS's docker plans, but I imagine docker is a lot more popular than jails and thus it will be a lot easier to find apps packaged for docker.

Maybe?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It's similar in concept to jails, but much more popular, cross platform, and neatly packaged. Take a look at hub.docker.com to see some of what you can install. On my docker box, I've got Plex, deluge, SABNZBD, Crashplan, OpenVPN, and a few management tools all coexisting neatly, without the hassle of making them all live in a single environment, and without the overhead of 5+ separate VMs. I can let Crashplan hoover up all the RAM it could want without running short for Plex.

When Docker comes to FreeNAS I will probably move a couple over to it, and with some more ECC RAM I could probably combine the two boxes finally.

robostac
Sep 23, 2009
Freenas has had jails for a while but it required setting up each jail by hand or developing specific freenas plugins (of which there are only ~30). The next version will just be able to take any standard docker image and run it, so it should allow for a much larger range of software. It runs docker in a virtual linux machine as well, so any linux software will work instead of requiring FreeBSD versions. This also should allow easier upgrades as a lot of issues are caused by the base os being different to the version in the jail (see Freenas 9.10 release).

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
FreeNAS 10 is also planning to have proper support for bhyve in the web interface. I'm going to have to upgrade the ancient thing its running on now to a CPU that bhyve supports.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
So I'm looking at a Xeon E3-1231V3B build with 16 gb ECC Ram and 4x4TB Reds. Should I slap FreeNAS on there and wait for docker and maybe play with those apps or do the aformentioned Ubuntu + ZFS. I imagine then that Ubuntu runs docker? I don't even know if I'll need docker but it sounds pretty neat. FreeNAS sounds pretty good but I'm open to persuasion as to why I should roll out Ubuntu + ZFS.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Gozinbulx posted:

So I'm looking at a Xeon E3-1231V3B build with 16 gb ECC Ram and 4x4TB Reds. Should I slap FreeNAS on there and wait for docker and maybe play with those apps or do the aformentioned Ubuntu + ZFS. I imagine then that Ubuntu runs docker? I don't even know if I'll need docker but it sounds pretty neat. FreeNAS sounds pretty good but I'm open to persuasion as to why I should roll out Ubuntu + ZFS.

FreeNAS is not a general purpose OS. If you need a NAS, it's likely your best option. If you need a general purpose server that you will be running arbitrary software on and don't mind spending a bit more time to maintain and harden, or are comfortable just having it scheduled to update itself regularly and trust the ubuntu package maintainers, then you want Ubuntu.

Run FreeNAS if it does what you need.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I'd rather have docker run natively on a Linux host than inside a VM if I had an option. It's clunky enough for me dealing with Docker on OS X as a developer when I set it up when messing with the different options to get the docker client to work remotely through VirtualBox or VMware Fusion (although there's a neat xhyve based option some random guy wrote). Furthermore, from a production standpoint you already have enough security headaches with docker and adding a VM to the mix is more busywork.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

necrobobsledder posted:

I'd rather have docker run natively on a Linux host than inside a VM if I had an option. It's clunky enough for me dealing with Docker on OS X as a developer when I set it up when messing with the different options to get the docker client to work remotely through VirtualBox or VMware Fusion (although there's a neat xhyve based option some random guy wrote). Furthermore, from a production standpoint you already have enough security headaches with docker and adding a VM to the mix is more busywork.

My understanding is that Docker on FreeNAS is native, not inside a VM.

robostac
Sep 23, 2009
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/jails-plugins-and-containers-vms-in-10.43830/ is the post that I'd read about how it was going to work, which describes docker running on virtual machine of boot2docker. I'm not sure if it's changed since then (post is from June).

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
This seems like a good time to post my current potential FreeNAS build. I wanted to put something together that had ECC, a decent size case, decent number of onboard SATA ports with room for expansion through an HBA..

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-6320 3.9GHz Dual-Core Processor ($214.99 @ PC Canada)
Motherboard: MSI C236M WORKSTATION Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($218.38 @ Newegg Canada)
Memory: Kingston ValueRAM 16GB (1 x 16GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($101.99 @ PC Canada)
Memory: Kingston ValueRAM 16GB (1 x 16GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($101.99 @ PC Canada)
Case: Fractal Design Node 804 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($156.78 @ DirectCanada)
Power Supply: SeaSonic Platinum 400W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular Fanless ATX Power Supply ($156.78 @ Newegg Canada)
Total: $950.91
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-22 02:14 EDT-0400

32GB of RAM is probably overkill. I'd boot it from a USB stick (probably one of those speedy sandisk ones). The node 804 looks like lots of room for drives (10).

It's a couple hundred bucks than the TS-453A QNAP here but it would be a lot more powerful and flexible.

Thoughts? Parts to change out? Is it just plain too much?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

That's pretty much exactly my build and I think it'll work nicely if you have a workload that requires that kind of processing and disk I/O. I'm going for a Xeon E3-1240 v5 on a Supermicro X11SSH-F, mostly because of IPMI and the M.2 PCIe slot, and I'll be using a Fractal Define Mini instead - which, although it only supports 6 3.5" drives instead of the 8 that the Node 804 supports, comes pre-fitted with noise-absorbing material. I'll also be doing straight FreeBSD with root on encrypted zfs now that 11.0 supports booting via gpt to an encrypted zpool without a seperate boot partition.

In the future I'll probably also want to throw in three NVMe SSDs for L2ARC and SLOG devices along with a 10G SFP+ NIC, because I plan on my new workstation being entirely diskless and simply booting it via another 10G SFP+ NIC off a iSCSI target pointing to zvol.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Sep 22, 2016