Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Hello friends, welcome to another Let’s Play of the incredible game Dominions 4! I am How are u and I have been playing Dominions 4 (and before that Dominions 3) for several years now, though I do not consider myself an expert by any means.

This LP will be an account of my experience in a multiplayer game taking place within the SA Dominions 4 community. There is a very solid and fun group of goons who regularly play Dom4, and I believe all but one of the players in this game come from our community. I encourage the other players in this game to chime in with their perspectives and thoughts!

That said, this is still an active and ongoing game! I would ask the other players to please refrain from posting spoilers!

This is an LP of the game Mo Money Mo Problems 2, and it takes place in the Late Age. My goal is to post 2 or 3 updates a week, but that is always subject to change.

What is Dominions 4?

Dominions 4 is the King of Games, the Pinnacle of 4x strategy in the Grandest of Traditions. In reality it is a game where you slam pixel men into each other in gruesome, low-rez battles, and in which you research and utilize all sorts of magic spells with which to murder them in increasingly impressive ways.

Here are a few ways that members of the SA Dom4 community have described this magnificent game:

Baudin posted:

Imagine a Total War game, but with magic and without the ability to control your units or real nation management or any semblance of balance whatsoever.

Roland Jones posted:

For those unfamiliar with Dominions, it's a turn-based strategy game about gods fighting each other and quite frequently utterly ruining the world in the process.

ChickenWing posted:

Suffice it to say that Dominions is a turn-based strategy game that shoehorns pretty much every recognizable belief system in the world into the guise of a fantasy nation and then attempts to settle the question of whether Jesus or Thor would win in a barfight.

TheDemon posted:

Dominions is the best game ever because it is a cross between an old-school 4x and a fantasy adventure game, with lore based on real-world mythology, that has delivered literal years of multiplayer entertainment. Expect a game that takes cues from Master of Magic, space 4Xs like Master of Orion 2 and Stars!, or a tabletop RPG. Don't expect Fantasy Rome: Total War.

The breadth and depth of play in Dominions is insane. There are over 50 nations with a roster of Pretender gods to pick from. You customize your pretender by buying advantages and disadvantages. Once play begins there are 1000 unit types, 600 spells to research, and 700 magical sites to uncover. You can choose between 300 pieces of equipment to gear out heroes who can take down armies single-handedly. Eventually, you can cast game-altering global enchantments that cook the world, heal lost limbs, or blot out the sun.

That's breadth. Dominions has depth. You can sneak or teleport into lightly defended territories, burn the temple, destroy their roads, funnel their taxes to your own forts, and disappear. You can set up a self-fueling Wish chain where you wish for more wishes. You can wipe out your enemies not with armies but with faith, fueled by sacrificing hundreds of virgin maidens upon your altars. You can crack open the gates to Tartarus and summon dozens of insane dead pretenders to serve in conquering the world. You can order a sudden teleport attack on all your rivals' capitals simultaneously, cleaving the gates in one turn with teleported siege equipment and blitzing the garrison before they can react. These are all actual, game-winning endgame strategies.

In my own words I’d say that Dominions 4 is a pretty unique strategy game in that it simply does not get old. I’ve put more than 1000 hours(!) into Dominions 4 according to Steam and I still look forward to joining new games and finding new ways to dick over my friends.

It is A Good Game.

What is this LP?

As I said above, this is a LP of a multiplayer game of Dominions 4. Dominions LPs traditionally operate on a Turn Delay, meaning that the turn reports that you read in this LP are -not- happening in real time. You will not be able to suggest strategies or much influence the course of the game because everything you read will have happened months ago. Usually Dom4 LPs start with a 20-30 turn delay between a given posted turn and the actual turn of the active game. For this LP we are starting with a 75(!) turn delay.

Why 75 turns? Well, I chose 75 turns for two reasons:

1) I wanted to make sure that I would get to the end-game phase of the game so that you wouldn’t get an LP where I was defeated on turn 30, and

2) This game is going to be -long-, for it is a “Mo Money” style game of Dominions 4.

What is a “Mo Money” game, you may ask? Well, “Mo Money” refers to a game where several of the initial game settings are turned up to 11. Specifically, Mo Money means that Income, Resources, and Supplies have been turned up to 300% of normal values, the Magic Site frequency level has been set to 75% (for context the default site frequency in the Late Age is 35%), and Research Speed has been set to the very slowest setting. Essentially these settings mean that everything is turbo-charged, allowing players to field armies of multiple hundreds where in a default game they’d be able to field several score.

The increased magic gem income means that high level, end game summons can be used generously, and that niche spells that may not be particularly gem efficient can be used without a large opportunity cost penalty. The decreased Research speed means that magic comes online later in the game, and that there are more opportunities for massive armies to clash face to face before devastating, army destroying magic can be brought to bear.

Mo Money games are also, as I mentioned, long. Every province contains a castle to be sieged, and by the end-game every player is fielding massive, deadly armies of mages and high level summons. The first Mo Money Mo Problems game got to turn 138 (incredibly long for a game of Dom4) before it choked and died from game-breaking bugs. So, actually, starting at turn 75 may well be starting from the half-way point of this game!

The Players:

Mo Money Mo Problems 2 takes place in the Late Age, and starts with 11 Nations (Nation – Player):

Gath, Last of the Giants – How are u

Bogarus, Age of Heroes – Morrow

Pangaea, New Era – AfroSquirrel

Ulm, Black Forest – Naksu

Xibalba, Return of the Zotz – ILoveYou

Ragha, Dual Kingdom – MF_James

Man, Tower of Chelms – Ubaten

Mictlan, Blood and Rain – Tekma

Patala, Reign of the Nagas – Atlanton

Jomon, Human Daimyos – Griffen

Caelum, Return of the Raptors – Libluini

Gameplay Mechanics:

I am writing this LP with the assumption that the reader has a very basic understanding of the Dominions 4 game mechanics. I make some effort to explain things as we go along, but I don’t go into so much detail that somebody who has never even heard of the game will understand everything with 100% clarity.

However, I have cribbed a bunch of really Helpful and Good game mechanics primers from Baudin’s LP. I would strongly suggest that any reader without a basic understanding of how Dom4 plays click through these links. They’re not super long nor esoteric, and they’ll really help you to have a better idea of what’s going on in the game!

Pretender Design Workshop by fool_of_sound
Explanation of the different Ages of the game by fool_of_sound.
Magic Discussion 1 by Nuclearmonkee
Magic Discussion 2 by fool_of_sound
Magic Discussion 3 by Samog

Dominions 4 links:

Dominions 4 thread in Games.
ChickenWing’s Dom4 LP (Archives)
Baudin’s Dom4 LP
Roland Jones’ Dom4 LP

:siren: Bonus :siren:
Have you ever wanted two LPs for the price of one? Well, friend, you are in luck because somebody else is LPing this very game! Libluini, playing the nation of Caelum, has been making a youtube VLP of this Mo Money Mo Problems game. At the end of each turn report I will include a link to his video of the same turn from his perspective. Wow, how cool!

Thread Art!

Preid

Ramc

Araganzar

Ramc

Contents:

How are u fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Sep 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Nation Overview

The nation we are playing is Gath, Last of the Giants. Gath is the Late Age successor nation to Ashdod of the Middle Age and Hinnom of the Early Age. These nations are all based off of an amalgamation of Semitic, Biblical, Hebrew, and a bunch of Assyrian and Levantine myths. The nations are often referred to as “Giant Jews”, but personally I think that’s kind of an unfairly reductive descriptor that doesn’t do the nations justice at all.

The strongest national themes are definitely Semitic and Biblical. The Nephilim of Biblical myth are the core of the national identity. In the Early Age, Hinnom was a bloodthirsty nation of divinely descended giants, mighty men with six fingers on their hands and horns on their heads who were cannibals and used wicked Blood Magic. In the Middle Age many of the pureblooded giants died off, and their slightly lesser offspring, the Rephaim, turn to necromancy, Death Magic, and ancestor worship to try and regain past glory. Finally, in the Late Age, the Age we are playing, the remnant civilization of Gath clings to the memory of the Nephilim but is really mainly a nation of men. Some of the lesser descendants of the giants remain and make up the ruling elite of Gath. Blood Magic has been rekindled in Gath, and it is a wicked society full of human sacrifice, necromancy, and demonic summoning.

Here’s the description the game gives you when you select Gath:

I’m going to go ahead and do an overview of Gath’s troops, commanders, and mages. This is mainly for the purpose of letting you the reader see some of the fun unit descriptions, because we won’t be using like 90% of the troops and like 25% of the commanders. They just suck and aren’t worth recruiting!

Troops

Reubenite Archer

Men with shortbows in the Late Age, utterly garbage, we will never recruit them.

Benajimite Slinger

Rainbow clad, dual-wielding, slinger with a pillager bonus. Cool fluff, bad unit.

Naphtali Spearman

Very “standard” infantry…for Early Age. They’re kind of crappy, but we’ll use some in the very early game when we can’t recruit anything else.

Zebulunite Soldier

They look swag and fight in formations, but we’ll still never use them.

Zebulunite Horn Blower

They carry a really boss looking horn and have the Standard effect that gives a moral boost to the unit they’re in. Very occasionally recruited.

Gadite Swordsman

We’re getting into some of our “better” troop choices now, this guy is OK and has Fire Resistance but we won’t bother.

Asherite Soldier

Cool green outfit, carries a Tower Shield so is very helpful against massed arrow fire. We’ll recruit a few but not for long.

Levite Zealot

The first of our Sacred troops! Levite Zealots are aggressively average soldiers with an actually useful bonus to Patrolling, but they are sacred. They are also recruitable at every one of our forts that also contains a Temple. We will be recruit a -lot- of these guys, because they will be fantastic chaff when combined with our Bless.

Gittite Soldier

The first of our giant troops, and lesser giants at that. These guys are hardly larger than a normal man, have a little Fire Resistance, and average stats. We won’t bother.

Gibbor

The cream of the crop, these are our elite giant heavy infantry. They’re big, have great stats, wield magical swords, and are sacred. They are cap-only, so we’ll only ever be able to field a small number of them. However, they’re badass and Good, and combined with our Bless will be even better. We’ll recruit the maximum number of which we are capable every turn for the entire game.

Commanders and Mages

Iassacharaite Scout

A scout! Slightly more Stealth value than an indie scout. We’ll make a handful throughout the game in order to keep tabs on our neighbors.

Benjaminite Commander

A commander version of the Benjaminite Slinger. We’ll never bother.

Iassacharite Sage

A cheap, sacred, lovely mage. They are meant to be a researching workhorse, never a battlefield hero. We will occasionally recruit them for research duty when have income issues that keep us from recruiting real mages.

Iassacharite Sibyl

A simple mage, not sacred but useful nonetheless. Very useful for Communion shenanigans later in the game. We’ll recruit some.

Levite Priest

lovely, H1 priest that will never be worth the recruitment opportunity cost.

Gittite Commander

A giant commander, more robust than any independent commander. Can lead 80 troops, which is pretty good. We’ll recruit these dudes a handful of times.

Abba

Now we are getting to our mages. These guys are N2 with a 100% FSE random path. They let us forge Nature boosters and with those can cast some OK battlefield spells. They are also Healers, which is a really, really nice thing to have as any nation. They are Heretics, so they harm our Dominion strength merely by existing, but they’re well worth it. We’ll recruit a fair number.

Yeddeoni

Here is our workhorse mage, a jack of all trades but master of none. The Yeddeoni is a E1D1 mage with a random 100% FESD pick. That means these puppies can come as E2 or D2 (great for forging or battle magic), F1D1 (lets us forge an important Fire booster item), and the Astral randoms can forge us a vital Astral booster as well. We’ll recruit many Yeddeoni. The only drawback is that they’re not sacred, so upkeep costs become a thing.

Kohen

Kohen are B1H2 mage-priests with a 100% FES random. They are pretty much the backbone of our Blood Hunting industry. They’re terrible on the battlefield, but they’re vital to our success. We’ll recruit a -lot- of them.

Seren

A true giant commander! These guys look and sound badass, and you couldn’t really ask for a more robust general. We’ll never recruit a single one, however, because they are cap-only and thus would take up a turn of recruitment that would otherwise be used for…

Kohen Gadol

Our cap-only mage. The Kohen Gadol is a mighty giant B2H3 mage-priest. They come with an awesome 100% +2(!!) FES random and a 10% chance for an additional level of FES. Having recruitable Holy 3 priests is wonderful because that’s how you cap Thrones. Their magic diversity lets them forge a variety of items, and will allow us to summon lots of cool stuff from the Blood school of magic. They are slow-to-recruit which means it takes 2 game turns to recruit 1 Kohen Gadol, but we’ll set them on auto-recruit for the entire game.

Pretender God

It is Dominions tradition to name your Pretender God something moronic, so here is ours:

The Might of Zionism is a Great Black Bull. I picked the GBB because it is the best chassis we had access to that could pull off a heavy Nature and Blood bless. This bless will allow our sacred units to both Regenerate and to reflect damage they take back upon the one who inflicted it. It’s a monster bless, and we had to do some monster damage to both our Dominion strength and our Scales to get it.

Let’s talk about Scales for a moment. You can see that we’ve taken Turmoil 3, Sloth 3, Heat 2, Growth 3, Luck 2, Magic 2 scales. In layman’s terms: we’ve tanked our regular, dependable income scales in order to afford our double bless. Hopefully our Luck and Magic scales combined with the increased chance of random events that come from Turmoil scales will help trigger events that give us money and gems to make up for the greatly reduced income. We’ve taken heavy Growth because we will be blood hunting extensively in this game and Growth scales, which ever so slowly increase the population in a given province, help to mitigate the population destruction that blood hunting causes.

Now take a look at our Dominion strength: It is 6. A dominion strength of 6 is not optimal, like, at all. Our Dominion is weak, it is susceptible to being pushed away by stronger Dominion, and it can't push hard against opposing Dominion itself. A Dominion strength of 6 is a terrible choice to make, but for one exception: Blood Sacrifice. Our nation, Gath, gives our Priests the ability to perform Blood Sacrifices instead of Preaching up the Dominion of our God. Blood Sacrifices are just like they sound, you sacrifice a blood slave in order to make a much more powerful temple check than a regular priest. The higher the Holy magic level of the sacrificing Priest the more potent the strength of a given blood sacrifice. Nations with Blood Sacrifice (Blood Sac, for short) are well known for being able to aggressively push their Dominion to the detriment of all of their neighbors.

In the first Mo Money Mo Problems game I played a different nation and went with no bless and very good scales. I ended up with more money than I could spend, so for this game I tanked my scales and went for a double bless, figuring the income penalty would be made up for by the game settings. This may not turn out to be entirely true in action.

However, this double bless combined with our recruit-everywhere sacred Levite Zealots means that we should have the very best chaff of anybody in the game. Cheap, regenerating, damage reflecting little men to stand between our mages and the enemy army. Opponents will find that a lot of powerful battle magics become a liability as the mages that cast the spells immediately die from the reflected damage.

Our armies of sacreds will keep our enemies flummoxed as we blood hunt up a storm within our kingdom, eventually summoning demons and devils and all sorts of other things with which to flood the world in a tide of wickedness!

That was the plan, anyway. Now you get to see how it all turned out…

How are u fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Sep 18, 2016

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Turn 1

Turn one is usually a very quick and boring turn, but let’s take a look at what information we can gather from our initial look at the world.

Our capitol province, Gath, is farmland, which is pretty good. Capitol provinces can start on any type of terrain and farmland is one of the good types. Forest and mountain type terrain are good as well, as they provide a resource bonus which is useful for building starting armies. Plains type terrain provides no bonuses, and swamp and wasteland type terrain are straight up lovely. I’m definitely happy to have started in farmland.

Next we see our initial connecting provinces. We have Vath, which is a plains province, Dead Forest which is a forest, the mountain province of Grey Mountains, and another plains province, Tenvir, which is separated from Gath by a river. Rivers are a type of barrier between provinces that are impassable unless they ice-over. Icing-over can only happen if there are Cold scales in both of the provinces connected by the river. Because we took Heat 2 on our Pretender, we are likely never going to see that river ice-over and become passable.

We start our game with two commanders, a Scout and a Gittite commander.

I send the scout into the Grey Mountains so we’ll have a more accurate estimate of the independent army that resides there next turn. The Gittite commander I set to become our Prophet next turn. Pro-Dominions players know that the cool thing to do is to rename your future-Prophet on turn 1 so that when his new status is declared to the whole world everyone else can see how awesome you are. I rename our Gittite commander “A Bulldozer for Palestinian Homes”, an appropriate name that glorifies our Pretender, The Might of Zionism.

Finally, I recruit 3 Gibborim, the maximum we can afford with our current resources, and one scout commander. I could recruit a mage but I reckon that a little bit of extra scouting info early on will come in handy. I also put in a 191 gold bid on a mercenary, Madam Fortuna, who is just a mage with a 10 man bodyguard. If I snag her she’ll never go into battle, just sit and research a bit.

Bonus!
Libluini's LP: Turn One

How are u fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Sep 18, 2016

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
This is the first one of these I'll be able to follow from the beginning so I'm pretty stoked about this.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Neat! And a lot more informative than my mad ramblings. :v:

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Nice, Dominions LP's are great. One question, isn't dom 6 a little bit low if you intend to rely on sacreds for a while though? Recruiting only six capital-only sacreds per turn seems a bit of a waste with a double bless but I haven't played a single game of Dom4 yet, so I don't know poo poo.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Angry Lobster posted:

Nice, Dominions LP's are great. One question, isn't dom 6 a little bit low if you intend to rely on sacreds for a while though? Recruiting only six capital-only sacreds per turn seems a bit of a waste with a double bless but I haven't played a single game of Dom4 yet, so I don't know poo poo.

Part of this could be mitigated by two things I think.

The first is that his blocker man sacreds can be recruited from any fort with a temple, so he'll still manage to make a bunch.

The second is that because it is a mo money game building a lot of temples to increase his dominion score should be easier than in a normal game.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Yeah the thought was that I'd eventually build up enough temples to get my sacred recruitment value to max, and the danger of getting my dominion pushed by somebody else's stronger dominion could be mitigated by blood saccing.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

Please don't timg all of your pictures, it makes it very annoying to read through updates. If they're too large consider cropping them instead.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Turn 2

Turn two begins with 9 proclamations of prophethood from nations of the world. Nine proclamations means that two nations either forgot to declare a prophet (unlikely) or wanted to recruit a specific unit on the first turn to make their prophet next turn. The prophets declared were:

Man: Dwarf of Falseness the Castellan shall hereby be known as the prophet of Helloween.
Ulm: Dave Rogers the Commander of Ulm shall hereby be known as the prophet of Beat of the Rising Sun.
Mictlan: PRODUCER PUNCH!! the Tribal King shall hereby be known as the prophet of Avatar of Jeremy Clarkson.
Pangaea: Dwight D. Eisenhower the Cataphract Commander shall hereby be known as the prophet of The Military-Industrial Complex.
Bogarus: that drunk hot girl at the bar the Voivode shall hereby be known as the prophet of 10x Surge Pricing for Uber.
Patala: Bryan Pagliano the Bandar Commander shall hereby be known as the prophet of Holy Cow.
Gath: A Bulldozer for Palestinian Homes the Gittite Commander shall hereby be known as the prophet of The Might of Zionism.
Ragha: Bling bling da money hoe the Paighan-Salar shall hereby be known as the prophet of I bought a boat.
Xibalba: Kianto the Batab shall hereby be known as the prophet of dat boi.

Not the best roster of prophet names, but not terrible. Bonus points go to Pangaea for picking a great one.

Next our message show that we won our bid on Madam Fortuna the mercenary! She will spend the next few turns sitting and putting her 12 research points to use. She’ll do this forever or until I forget to re-bid on her and lose her.

Finally, we got a hero!!

drat, what a shame, we didn’t actually get a hero, we got a multi-hero instead. National heroes can range from useless to exceptionally powerful and useful, but national multi-heroes are almost always “eh”. They are called “multi-heroes” because you can get multiple copies. Here we see ours is a holy 2 priest with 40 leadership. At this stage of the game he will actually be useful, I’ll send him out with my second expansion army, but in the future any more multi-heroes will probably be dead weight.

Ok that is it for turn 2 messages, let’s look at the land.

We can now see what our independent neighbors look like, and they look tough. Remember that this is a Mo Money game, and thus the strength of the independent provinces was set to the highest level. Vath is full of heavy infantry and heavy cavalry, we won’t touch that just yet. Grey Mountains is likewise full of heavy infantry and cavalry. Dead Forest, however, is filled with militia, light infantry, and archers. That’s great, and we are going to smash them first.

In my test games I usually waited until turn 3 and until I recruited 6 Gibborim before launching my first attack, but I feel like I should take the risk here because that looks like a pretty soft target. Our Prophet marshals our new army and sets out for Dead Forest!

In our capitol I queue up a Kohen priest-mage and 3 more Gibborim. Hopefully we are victorious in Dead Forest and we can unlock more resources at our capitol to quickly ramp up Gibbor production. We are going to need hundreds of them, and fast.

Lastly, I move our first scout onward, our new scout out of our capitol, and check the Mercenary list for new mercs. The only new merc on the list are some underwater-only triton troops, so they’re unavailable.

Fingers crossed for turn 3!

Bonus!
Libluini's turn two

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Thanks to my video-LP being a half-assed mess, you can even get a glimpse of my future prophet by watching video "2".

Be warned, though: My videos may induce stroke if you try to translate my gibberish into real human speech. I can only recommend watching my LP if you use this one as a handy guide to prevent slipping into madness.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
These early turns are pretty quick and uneventful, so I think I will post more of them this first week to get us to the point where interesting things start to happen!

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Turn 3

Looks like we have two more prophet declarations, the final two nations have chimed in:

Jomon: Gory Johnson the Master Shugenja shall hereby be known as the prophet of The Blood Fondue.
Caelum: Air Man the Storm General shall hereby be known as the prophet of Overgrown Cebalo Pinfeather.

Points to Jomon for making what I’m sure is a reference to newly minted Libertarian Presidential candidate Gary Johnson. Also, I’d guess that Jomon’s pretender is a Blood Fountain based on the name. I don’t know why Caelum waited a turn to prophetize what I think is his starting commander but also I don’t care.

We also have our battle report from the army we moved into The Dead Forest last turn.

Flawless victory! The only things dead in The Dead Forest are the pathetic light infantry and militia that tried to oppose us. Our three Gibborim took a lot of hits in the battle, but the regeneration from the major Nature bless kept them up, and the Blood Vengeance from the major Blood bless reflected the lovely little indies’ damage right back into their faces. I also see that our Prophet has picked up a Heroic Ability. Heroic Abilities are special abilities that units in the Hall of Fame get as a bonus for being there. Our Prophet got Iron Will, which boosts his magic resistance. It’s not the best, but it certainly isn’t bad by any means.

Looking at the map, I see that one of the provinces adjacent to The Dead Forest is a forest named Summeredge, and it is also full of militia, light infantry, and archers. Since our previous battle went so well I am going to move our starting army into Summeredge and hopefully repeat the victory.

In The Dead Forest I recruit an independent commander, and I pump the Province Defense level to 25. I also check the mercenary list and see Fordo Boggit’s Elite Warriors have appeared. The Elite Warriors are a 40 strong division of armored halflings, which, due to their small size, are actually pretty tanky in combat unless they’re being pelted by arrows. I put in a 356 gold bid on them, if I win they could be useful tanking some heavy cavalry in a turn or two.

Finally, we do our recruitment for the turn. Look at how many additional resources we picked up by capturing that forest! We can now recruit 6 Gibborim at a time, our current maximum until we increase our number of Holy Points by building more temples. I’m also recruiting Naphtali spearmen to mix in with the Gibborim, they will help fill in squares on the battlefield and take some hits instead of the Gibborim. For our commander I have queued a Yeddeoni. I will need to be recruiting Kohen blood priests to bless my expansion armies, but I hope to also grab a few of my other mages to begin walking through our newly conquered provinces to search for magic sites. However, expanding quickly is priority number 1 right now.

Bonus!
Libluini's turn three

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I think it's time to explain why my pretender is called Overgrown Cembalo Pinfeather.

See, a Cembalo is a huge, harpsichord/piano-like musical instrument and long, long ago, the pinfeathers of Ravens were used for plucking the strings. (This is one of the reasons why our Raven-populations were nearly extinct by the 70s and only recently started to recover. The other reasons being related to angry Bavarian hunters)

Therefore, if you know something about music, you would have been able to take one look at the name of my pretender, and you would have immediately known what it was.

Edit:

But yeah, my prophet-name was uninspired poo poo. Also I only waited another turn to collect more of my sacreds so my prophet had some more units to bless, there was not any kind of strategic thinking behind it.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Sep 19, 2016

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

i didn't read any of this but i want howareu to feel good and popular

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

i didn't read any of this but i want howareu to feel good and popular

Thanks friend. See folks, this is an example of how kind and supportive the SA Dom4 community can be. Join us!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Dominions is a game I love to read about but think I'd hate to actually play. Watching with interest.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

Cythereal posted:

Dominions is a game I love to read about but think I'd hate to actually play. Watching with interest.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013

Cythereal posted:

Sorta this, but substitute "think I'd hate to actually play" with "I just don't care for the diplomacy/social aspect, personally." Which is a shame, because I normally love smashing pixel mans against each other. Most of the time, at least.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

How are u and other Dominions players, what is your favorite heroic ability?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
While I'm pretty sure that actually trying to play Dom4 would make my head explode, I love reading about it. I am psyched for this LP, especially as it looks like it won't default to the usual "and then I had to maneuver my sole remaining army really skillfully for three turns until I could bring the gently caress You I Win spell online" midgame.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

How are u and other Dominions players, what is your favorite heroic ability?

I think it would pretty unanimously be 'Unequaled Obesity'.

e: In terms of sheer utility one of the better Heroic Abilities a commander can get is 'Inspirational Presence' which gives a morale bonus to the troops the commander is leading. They can also get an ability that gives them Fear, the magic resistance from 'Iron Will' is always welcome, and there's one that gives Reinvigoration as well.

But Unequaled Obesity just owns because the game has decided your commander is a fat sack of poo poo.

How are u fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Sep 20, 2016

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Oh boy another Dom4 LP! We have been on a great roll for the last year for Dom LP's. Keep it up guys!

One day I will play again...

One day...

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Do not let the game intimidate you. It is entirely possible, once you get the basics in single player, to jump into a multiplayer game and win.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Ramc posted:

Do not let the game intimidate you. It is entirely possible, once you get the basics in single player, to jump into a multiplayer game and win.

This, as far as I know, being a magnificient bastard in the diplomatic game can carry you through a game, even if you understanding of game mechanics isn't great.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Ramc posted:

Really the biggest issue for me was that its always so slow and I end up making a rather big mistake on say turn 5 then suffering for it a week later and not knowing exactly why.

Maybe I'll give it a crack again in SP though then find a game to pop into and burn up in; I've always wanted to play in a draft game despite not knowing jack about how to actually play well :P

Has the goon community moved on from IRC to Discord like most others?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Gridlocked posted:

Has the goon community moved on from IRC to Discord like most others?

No, we're old-fashioned

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

IthilionTheBrave posted:

Sorta this, but substitute "think I'd hate to actually play" with "I just don't care for the diplomacy/social aspect, personally." Which is a shame, because I normally love smashing pixel mans against each other. Most of the time, at least.

i mean, everyone has their likes and dislikes, but the diplo is the only reason i ever really played this game. it's pretty bad on it's own terms and the ai is a dumpster fire

Gridlocked posted:

Maybe I'll give it a crack again in SP though then find a game to pop into and burn up in; I've always wanted to play in a draft game despite not knowing jack about how to actually play well :P

i sigh as i draw my draft rules

(i loving love drafts so i will be easy to talk into running one in the future if you want)

Amhazair
Feb 13, 2012

IthilionTheBrave posted:

I don't know how popular they are in the SA Community these days but it's perfectly possible* to organise anonymous no-diplomacy games so you have all the joy of fighting competent human opponents without being forced to deal with all that "pesky diplomacy." I used to really enjoy these types of games back in my playing days. (I quit shortly after dom4 came out, burned out om dom in general)

* the only caveat is you have to find a volunteer to organise and run the game who doesn't actually play in it himself.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Turn 4

Two messages for this turn. First we see our battle in Summeredge:

We won, but we lost 6 units. At this early point in the game we need every little pixel man we can get, so that’s a shame.

The second message is an event that happened in The Dead Forest. It’s a tax boost event, unexpectedly good harvest, taxes +100% and -8 unrest. That’s great, free money for us! I also notice that we failed to hire Fordo Boggit, it looks like Xibalba snagged the Halfling mercenary. We put in a bid to keep Madam Fortuna while we are at it, as her contract expires next turn. There are no other fresh useable mercs to hire.

Since our Prophet’s army is diminished and we don’t have any really soft targets adjacent to Summeredge I think the best course of action is to reinforce. We are moving our Prophet and his army into Grey Mountains, one of the heavy infantry and heavy cavalry provinces in our cap circle. Also moving into Grey Mountains is the Yeddeoni I recruited last turn along with 9 fresh Gibborim and a handful of spearmen. We will crush the independents in Grey Mountain and reinforce our starting army at the same time!

We also need to unlock the resources of Grey Mountain in our capitol. Our Sloth 3 dominion is growing stronger and subsequently has impacted production in the cap. We need to clear the rest of the cap circle ASAP.
Also, we discover that Summeredge has recruitable scouts, so we will recruit a scout there every turn until we can build a fort, which will be as soon as possible.

I’m moving our multihero priest out of the capitol to build temples. We want a strong dominion and we have tons of cash on hand, so even though our temples are double the cost of everybody else we will be spamming them.

Finally, we have discovered two neighbors: Xibalba and Caelum. I’m not sure what to make of this just yet. Xibalba and Caelum are both flying nations, so they are super-mobile and great raiders. They don’t have the most robust troops when it comes to pitched battle, but they make up for that in other ways. I’m hoping we don’t get into an early war. I’ll reach out to them and try to make friends.

Bonus!
Libluini's turn four

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Libluini posted:

No, we're old-fashioned

You should move to Discord. IIRC you can get IRC bots that function on discord servers and anyone can create the server.

It's great.

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

i sigh as i draw my draft rules

(i loving love drafts so i will be easy to talk into running one in the future if you want)

I am open to this. Let me squeeze in a few single player practice games over before the weekend and I will get in touch with you about it. <3

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Gridlocked posted:

You should move to Discord. IIRC you can get IRC bots that function on discord servers and anyone can create the server.

never

Angry Lobster posted:

This, as far as I know, being a magnificient bastard in the diplomatic game can carry you through a game, even if you understanding of game mechanics isn't great.

And when in doubt, ask Nuclearmonkee how to kill something with the tools you have on hand.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
I look forward to seeing Gath defeated on Turn 50.

Gath is bad.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Meinberg posted:

Gath is bad.

They're probably a lot better in a game where they can get fort 2 on like turn 8.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Turn 5

A single message greets us at the beginning of turn 5, how exciting.

Looks like we won our battle in Grey Mountain but we lost 9 Naphtali Spearmen doing so. The spearmen were in their own little group standing ahead of the rest of the army, and the charging heavy cavalry ripped them to pieces with their lances. RIP lovely chaff, you did your job.

Taking Grey Mountain was a good move, though. We have unlocked some of its resources in our capitol and are back to full production. We won our bid for Madam Fortuna and we get to keep her for 3 more turns, as useful as that is. We are also putting a 430 gold bid in on a new band of mercs that popped up this turn: Bernard’s Brave Men. I think they are generic human swordsmen or something similar. If I win them they will be useful in eating more heavy cavalry lances when we try to take Vath.

I move our reinforced Prophet army north to Tenvir, the province in our cap circle that is cut off by a river. Scouting shows that it is full of light infantry, crossbowmen, and heavy infantry. Hopefully 11 Gibborim and some filler chaff will be enough to smash those guys up. The Yeddeoni that brought the reinforcements to the battle will stay behind and search for magic sites.

The first scout we recruited in Summeredge begins construction of our first new building, a castle. All infrastructure in Gath is expensive, so we don’t have the option of building 800 gold fortresses, instead we can only build 1000 gold castles or 1200 gold citadels. More expensive fortifications also come with greater defense values, which is very useful in a siege, but the tradeoff is that they take longer to construct. Our first castle will be ready in 6 months time.

Bonus!
Libluini's turn five

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Meinberg posted:

Gath is bad.

Sorry, friend, but considering I posted this LP with a 75 turn delay you'll have to wait at least that long. I may be defeated though!

Also, have you stopped to consider that Gath is Cool and Good and that you are the one who is actually Bad?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Rewatching this and comparing with Gath makes me realize how lucky the combination of huge expensive tramplers and lots of money is. Around this time I expanded faster than Gath simply because of my mammoths stepping on everything in my way.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Libluini posted:

Rewatching this and comparing with Gath makes me realize how lucky the combination of huge expensive tramplers and lots of money is. Around this time I expanded faster than Gath simply because of my mammoths stepping on everything in my way.

It was around turns 4 and 5 when I realized quite how truly awful my scales were going to be in practice rather than in theory, and I knew my expansion wasn't going as fast as I'd like. Very few people like to engage in year 1 wars but if either you or Xibalba had wanted to invade me your superior economies + better mobility would probably have bottled me up in my cap very quickly and I would have been basically dead.

Mr Toes
Jan 2, 2008
Digitally Challenged
I think I'm another for the 'love watching games play out, but would almost certainly hate playing it'. It seems like a particularly punishing 4X, and I have a horrible feeling that Id get to a certain point and discover that my god is poo poo / my scales are bollocks / I've forgotten to build an army, at which point I'd be utterly steamrolled.

Still, respect for you guys who can hold all that information (including the bugs) in your head!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Mr Toes posted:

I think I'm another for the 'love watching games play out, but would almost certainly hate playing it'. It seems like a particularly punishing 4X, and I have a horrible feeling that Id get to a certain point and discover that my god is poo poo / my scales are bollocks / I've forgotten to build an army, at which point I'd be utterly steamrolled.

Still, respect for you guys who can hold all that information (including the bugs) in your head!

You know, oddly enough there aren't really any bugs of note that come to mind with the game?

• Locked thread