Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Oh man that's awesome, wheres that at?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Freaking sweet...
Now I wanna build a cabin in the mountains...

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Rime posted:

My local mountaineering club is building their first alpine cabin since the early 80's, spent last weekend up there helping out with a bunch of crusty old mountaineers. One of them was 73 and blowing my stamina out of the water.

It's going to be a beauty when it's finished, sure feels nice to be contributing something other than instagram shots to the hiking ecosystem. :3:

I would like to hear more about this and maybe some progress updates too. That's seriously cool poo poo to be working on.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

motherbox posted:

I'm going to be hiking and climbing in Shawangunk ridge in early October, and I haven't owned any camping gear since I was a kid. I should be good on a tent, but can anyone recommend a sleeping bag/pad that would be good for fall weather in the northeast? I poked around in the OP and it looks like there's not much info bags-wise.

Your two main bag choices are down and synthetic, and each has it's advantages. Down is lighter and more compactable, but loses its insulating ability when wet and is more expensive.

Synthetic does not, and is usually cheaper. It all depends on what you do and where you hike that might help tip the scale one way or another. E.g. east coast is typically rainer and muddier than the west coast, so synthetic is awesome there and vice versa.

Typically the Kelty cosmic down (20°) is a fantastic recommendation for the price/quality on down bags. 20° is what I would buy for a three season bag (stretched into 4 with extra layers).

Wiggy's bags are my hands down recommendation for synthetic, I can't say enough good things about them. The insulation is antistatic so the fibers don't compress and lose loft over time like other bags. The zippers are oversized so they're easy to handle and don't kink. They have oversized draft tubes and collars so warm air stays in and doesn't leak out. Downside is they're bulkier, but mine is always my go to winter bag, even in my hammock. I've had mine for about a decade now, and it's just as awesome as when I first bought it.

Oh, and make sure you buy a mummy style bag. You'd have to try hard not to these days, but just thought I'd mention it.

Quilts are another option (which is what I use in my hammock). Ultra light enthusiasts like them for ground sleeping, but you're really getting into the territory of sacrificing comfort for weight there. Big Agnes makes a cool bag that is a quasi quilt, but has an insert for your sleeping pad (since bottom insulation gets compressed anyways)

E: oh, and wiggy's actually sizes their bags, so if you're a big guy like me (6' 4"), you can get a bag that really fits. And their temperature ratings are comfort ratings drawn from real world testing, not measuring a copper tube's heat loss and estimating like most other manufacturers. A 20° wiggys bag will keep you comfortable at 20, and I'm typically a cold sleeper if that tells you anything

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Sep 16, 2016

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

OSU_Matthew posted:

Your two main bag choices are down and synthetic, and each has it's advantages. Down is lighter and more compactable, but loses its insulating ability when wet and is more expensive.

How about hydrophobic down, like Cumulus uses in their bags? Seems like it might be the best of both worlds.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

motherbox posted:

I'm going to be hiking and climbing in Shawangunk ridge in early October, and I haven't owned any camping gear since I was a kid. I should be good on a tent, but can anyone recommend a sleeping bag/pad that would be good for fall weather in the northeast? I poked around in the OP and it looks like there's not much info bags-wise.

I had a long effort post and the awful app forgot to keep it.

Sleeping bags don't generate heat, they trap your body heat and how well they do it depends on the bag. This is why once you get cold in a sleeping bag, is hard to warm up again.

As mentioned before the kelty cosmic down is one of the best deals out there for a down bag. Other options like the north face cats meow, marmot trestles elite, rei radiant and lumen are all good options under $200.

Look for something 3lbs or less. If you ever want to hike with it, you'll be happy you did.

Also don't leave your sleeping bag compressed in its stuff sack. It can cause the insulation to wear down faster over time.

20 degrees is a great three season rating. Get something rated 10-15 degrees lower than you think you'll need.

Sleeping pads are the other part of the equation. The cold ground will steal the heat your body generates. Non insulated pads are great when the weather is mild but insulated pads are worth every penny when it gets cold. The higher the R value the more insulated it is.

You have a few options. Air pads offer the most protection from the ground as they don't require to be filed with heavy foam. They won't do jack for warmth unless you get an insulated one. I really like the big agnes insulated q core as its thick and I'm a side sleeper. I've never had a problem with leaks and it's super comfortable.

Self inflating pads are nice and can insulate well but they tend to be in between on comfort for me. My friend has the rei flash pad and it's actually quite comfortable for a hybrid pad.

Closed cell foam pads are still the cheapest and lightest options out there but I'm a delicate flower and will wake up feeling like I slept on a rock. Minimal padding and the reflective ones do a decent job of keeping heat towards you.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Either here or in the TFR version of this thread, someone linked to lightweight hoodies that can cover most of a face in response to another poster being worried about skin cancer. My wife is on a medication that makes her really sun sensitive and I think this would be useful for her, but I can't think of the right search terms. Does anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Hungryjack posted:

Group photo descending to the portal

Wow, what a perfectly crisp and crystal clear photo. What was this taken with?

(I'm always amazed when it's an iphone)

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

LivesInGrey posted:

Either here or in the TFR version of this thread, someone linked to lightweight hoodies that can cover most of a face in response to another poster being worried about skin cancer. My wife is on a medication that makes her really sun sensitive and I think this would be useful for her, but I can't think of the right search terms. Does anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?

It might've been me, and you're looking for "fishing hoodies". I have a Cabela's branded one that I've used all season so far and love. The only real drawback is that being made of a very good wicking material, all of the funk in you ends up in the shirt. I find that I need to wash it every two or three trips.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

That's exactly it, thank you!

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
Just giving an update on the Altai boots I bought a while back.

They're still as comfortable as when they first arrived and I've never felt close to getting a blister or hot spot. I think they're a good compromise between something like a normal boot and goretex because they're waterproof without using a membrane so you don't end up with a sweaty, overheated foot. Actually the best way I've found for me to regulate my foot comfort is to choose appropriate socks. If I'm hiking in cold weather, I'll take warm socks because the boots are that breathable I'll actually get slightly chilly feet if I stop moving for too long. I did just go hiking on a hot day with thick merino socks on and I did get sweaty feet, but it would have been much worse in any other shoe.

I usually find myself standing in ankle deep water whenever I can just for kicks. I'm super happy with my purchase.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Wow, what a perfectly crisp and crystal clear photo. What was this taken with?

(I'm always amazed when it's an iphone)

Some kind of an Android phone, I think. The only guy with a real camera is in the photo, so it wasn't him who took the picture.

My new Go Fast Lite Tyvek footprints arrived today.

I ordered one for my Big Agnes Copper Spur UL1 and my UL3. I think I paid $60 or so total. These are cheaper, lighter, and stronger than the name brand footprints.

5.5oz isn't a whole lot of weight.

It fits the shape of the tent perfectly. You just use the shock cords to attach the corners to the tent poles and take out the slack.

As advertised. I assume the extra quarter ounce is the stuff sack.

Anyway, if you want a prefab footprint and don't feel like making your own, you may want to hit up their website and see if they have one for your tent.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Clayton Bigsby posted:

How about hydrophobic down, like Cumulus uses in their bags? Seems like it might be the best of both worlds.

Hydrophobic down is basically snake oil because the oils on down feathers make them naturally hydrophobic to a certain degree. However, in order to apply the DWR coating, they have to clean off all the oils, so you're essentially back to square one in terms of waterproofing. Not to mention that water exposure still causes feathers to collapse, regardless of waterproofing.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

anyone have a preference for ice axe brands and type?

I'm looking at a Black Diamond Raven for the winter

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

anyone have a preference for ice axe brands and type?

I'm looking at a Black Diamond Raven for the winter

If you're just starting out and/or you will be using it mostly for hill walking on low-angled snow, the Raven is a good axe usually available at a great price.

I know it's often overkill, but I love my Grivel Air Tech Evolution. It's built like a tank (T-rated shaft) and I think will last my lifetime.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
So 2 weeks from right now, I plan to be most of the way up a mountain on my first overnight hike. Can you guys tell me if I'm preparing right?

Basically, I plan on a big breakfast where we drink a lot of water. In our packs we'd also have 4l of water, 2l per day. I was thinking of around 10000kj/person in stuff like trail mix, fruit, bread and maybe some sandwich meat and cheese if I can make it keep. We'd want coffee in the morning so I was thinking we could premake that and buy a cheap little gas stove off ebay (any suggestions) and warm it up in the morning. Any other ideas for good easy stuff? Does the amount of food sound good? While we've all been camping plenty, we've never done anything where you can't go back to camp for food if you run out.

We were thinking for shelter at night we'd tie a rope between 2 trees and make a tarp triangle. I do own a small tent though it obviously weighs more and is more effort to setup.

Does it sound ok or like a recipe for disaster.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

So 2 weeks from right now, I plan to be most of the way up a mountain on my first overnight hike. Can you guys tell me if I'm preparing right?

Basically, I plan on a big breakfast where we drink a lot of water. In our packs we'd also have 4l of water, 2l per day. I was thinking of around 10000kj/person in stuff like trail mix, fruit, bread and maybe some sandwich meat and cheese if I can make it keep. We'd want coffee in the morning so I was thinking we could premake that and buy a cheap little gas stove off ebay (any suggestions) and warm it up in the morning. Any other ideas for good easy stuff? Does the amount of food sound good? While we've all been camping plenty, we've never done anything where you can't go back to camp for food if you run out.

We were thinking for shelter at night we'd tie a rope between 2 trees and make a tarp triangle. I do own a small tent though it obviously weighs more and is more effort to setup.

Where is this mountain? The end of September under a tarp could be cold. How many people are going? You could split your tent between multiple people to carry less weight, unless you're all fending for yourselves. What if it's windy and raining? I am sure 2400 calories a day will be fine for just a two day hike. I take instant coffee on the trail, since it's easy. One teaspoon of powder is basically a cup. How long is the hike? 2l of water might be fine, might not be depending on the distance and the temperature. Take more if you plan to cook with it, obviously. I am sure someone has a suggestion for a cheap stove. You could make an alcohol one (see youtube) if you want something small and simple, or you could just get a reliable light-weight camping stove that runs on white gas or compressed gas canisters.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

More details will determine if this is poor planning or not.

Where will you be? Do you have a water filter? What are the current conditions and seasonal averages and extremes? How long are you going? How far are you hiking? Do you have a sleeping bag? Have you used any of this gear before?

Do you think you'll be comfortable beneath a tarp if it's 40°f and windy rain or snow if that's possible in your area?

Hopefully you're prepared and just looking for reassurance but if you really want people to accurately assess your likelihood of being the focus of s search and rescue team then you need to give us more details.

More than likely you'll be fine. Someone who has never camped a day in their life can survive a night in the woods without food, water or gear ... but they probably wouldn't enjoy it much.

Most rescue scenarios come from people not being prepared. Too little water, not enough food or underestimating the weather is really easy to do for people with little experience especially if it's in a new terrain/environment.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

If you overnight without a bivvy kit you deserve all the evil that will undoubtedly find you. What's your plan for ground isolation?

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Go to REI (or whatever local flavor of camping store you have by you) and get an emergency bivy bag. It will be in the first aid section. They are cheap, weigh nothing, and can save your life.

If you've never done overnight camping before, I wouldn't suggest the "under a tarp" strategy for your maiden voyage.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Yeah. Better to suffer for carrying too much weight than to suffer for not having something it turns out you did need after all. You'll get better at it as you do it more.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Mt Barney in SE Queensland Australia, sorry I should have been more specific. We are going to have sleeping bags. 0% chance of snow, theres a chance of rain.

It's approx 20km all up being generous with loving around at the top, its a mountain with twin peaks and we are gunna go to both. You can do it all in a single day but we want to make it an overnighter. We are expecting it to be ~7-8 degrees C at night and mid 20s in the day. Historically we have been fine with just sleeping bags and the tent floor between us and the ground on week long camping trips.

I'm starting to think it's a good idea to bring the tent and try separate it into the different packs, how do I guarantee the fly won't get ripped though?

I don't own a water filter, I've used all the gear I own a lot. I'm pretty confident we can handle the hike, I'm just worried that I'm thinking to pack way too light. Also suggestions for easy food with preferably minimal cooking would be awesome.

copen
Feb 2, 2003
You will be fine in that weather with just a tarp, just be careful were you place it for wind and rain drainage. Is there water available on the trail at all? Water weighs a bunch and I hate carrying more than I have to. Can probably pick up some purification tablets for cheap. If you are unsure then of course bring enough to last you both days.

Simple food ideas:

Oatmeal (don't need instant, can pour hot water into a ziploc with oats, powdered milk and whatever things you want in there ie: dried fruit, nuts, brown sugar. Let sit till soft enough to eat)
Ramen
Salami/Cheese/Crackers or bread
Beef jerky
Freeze dried meals
Instant potatoes

There are a lot more i'm sure people can help with. I love to cook at home but not while camping so I keep things to mostly boil water and add to bag.

For stoves, I'm not sure what kind of stores you have there but an MSR Pocket rocket is cheap and light. Canisters are kind of annoying though. Can look into buying or making an alcohol stove.

copen fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Sep 20, 2016

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Mt Barney in SE Queensland Australia, sorry I should have been more specific. We are going to have sleeping bags. 0% chance of snow, theres a chance of rain.

It's approx 20km all up being generous with loving around at the top, its a mountain with twin peaks and we are gunna go to both. You can do it all in a single day but we want to make it an overnighter. We are expecting it to be ~7-8 degrees C at night and mid 20s in the day. Historically we have been fine with just sleeping bags and the tent floor between us and the ground on week long camping trips.

I'm starting to think it's a good idea to bring the tent and try separate it into the different packs, how do I guarantee the fly won't get ripped though?

I don't own a water filter, I've used all the gear I own a lot. I'm pretty confident we can handle the hike, I'm just worried that I'm thinking to pack way too light. Also suggestions for easy food with preferably minimal cooking would be awesome.

Get a filter. It's easier to filter water than to carry a ton of it and I usually end up using more water than I expect I will.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

gohuskies posted:

Get a filter. It's easier to filter water than to carry a ton of it and I usually end up using more water than I expect I will.

This. It is by far better to bring a filter and not need it than the inverse.

Edit: if there are no water sources where you're going then plan accordingly with extra extra water.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

At that temperature I'd be concerned about the lack of insulation between your body and the ground - you'll lose crazy amounts of heat that way. I mean you'll probably live since it's only for a night, but those aren't dice I'd personally want to roll. Same thoughts for not having a filter or some form of water treatment, be it bleach or a filter (highly recommend the sawyer mini) or iodine tabs - odds are you'd make it back to civilization before an illness would incapacitate you, but not risking illness is probably a better plan. Plus carrying 8+ pounds of water sounds pretty blergh.

Food-wise, anything using the basic recipe of dehydrated vegetable + spices + instant rice/ramen + TVP will probably turn out alright. I've tried a few of the recipes on Andrew Skurka's site and liked them - good combination of cheap, easy, and satisfying, plus they're easy enough to modify to local conditions/tastes. Fresh fruit weighs a lot for very little energy, but if you're only going out for a day it probably wouldn't matter. Stove-wise I like to cook over wood (assuming small fires are allowed) but carry a few solid fuel tabs as a backup.

There's always a risk of a tarp tearing, but there's not a whole lot you can do to avoid it other than avoid setting up under snag (upright dead or dying trees). Duct tape works for field repair.

e. I was on mobile and read your post as minus 7 - 8 degrees C. With a halfway decent sleeping bag you should be fine.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Sep 21, 2016

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
In that case you should be fine. I recommend bringing more than you need on your first trip or two. Going light or ultra light is something I would only recommend for people with some experience under their belts who know what they can go without.

Easy foods are instant anything that's dried and doesn't spoil easily or takes only boiling water. Soups, rice, oatmeal, mashed potatoes are all easy. Cheeses, flat breads like pita and tortillas are a great way to get bread into the mix.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Crazyeyes posted:

This. It is by far better to bring a filter and not need it than the inverse.

Edit: if there are no water sources where you're going then plan accordingly with extra extra water.

Especially that, especially going up a mountain. drat. When backpacking, I probably drink close to a gallon or more of water a day. Food is whatever, water is what you need. 2L probably ain't gonna cut it

If you're looking for cheap, lightweight, awesome stoves, this ion knockoff is awesome and made from the finest chineesium. Like, legit, it's been seriously pretty great for about a year now. Almost makes me want to buy the real thing from Olicamp

mushi
Oct 13, 2003
I am addicted to video games.
Googling Mt. Barney reveals its 4500 ft. I assume its not super-high-alpine-no-trees-freeze-your-butt-off-in-summer climate at that altitude. If you're camping at not-the-summit your gear seems fine. Don't overthink it too much. If you have your gear that you'd have for car camping and you can shove it in your pack and carry it without too much of a problem, it'll be the same thing.

For me the difference between car camping and backpacking isn't the sleeping bag and tent and poo poo, it's that your food options are limited (no burger patties chilling in a cooler and huge propane stove) and you can only carry so much beer (bring your flask if you want to drink, but don't go overboard cuz hangovers while carrying a pack is no fun). Get a couple of dehydrated meals, some trail mix and beef jerky and instant oatmeal for breakfast and you'll have more food than you need.

The water filter suggestions are good. I like the Sawyer mini water filter straw. The MSR pocket rocket suggestion is cool too. Conveniently both are among the cheapest solutions for a filter and stove. Both of those are more tailored to personal use though - if you're filtering and cooking for multiple people the more traditional water filters with a pump and a burlier stove might be worth the investment. You can filter a ton of water with the Sawyer mini filter, it will just take a while and be kind of annoying constantly refilling the pouch and squeezing it out.

Oh, also the coffee thing - If you get a filter (heck, even if you don't), I wouldn't pre-brew it and then reheat it. You're basically carrying water that you can't/won't drink until the morning and it won't taste great. Bring instant coffee in a ziploc or the Starbucks VIA individual packet thingies. Heck, for one night, even grounds, a drip cup and a couple paper filters isn't that heavy, but definitely more of a pain in the butt.

Verman posted:

More than likely you'll be fine. Someone who has never camped a day in their life can survive a night in the woods without food, water or gear ... but they probably wouldn't enjoy it much.
This right here. You'll be fine. I wouldn't worry about your tent getting damaged in your pack unless it's really fragile for some reason. Take notes about what you brought and didn't use, what you forgot, or what you might need in an emergency.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Yeah its not a huge mountain. Australia doesnt have those, koscisuko is our tallest at 2200m or something and it looks like the hill from the tellytubbies.

Barneys actually gunna be challenging though, it has scrambles and small climbs depending on your route, but we all have experience with that.

2 seperate camping stores have looked at me like I'm retarded when I asked about bivvy bags even after I explained what they are. I'd never heard of them before I saw it here though, I'm starting to think people dont use them here. They look like an excellent idea though and I'd appreciate waking up with a lot less dampness.

E: 4th stores the charm.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Sep 21, 2016

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

Yeah its not a huge mountain. Australia doesnt have those, koscisuko is our tallest at 2200m or something and it looks like the hill from the tellytubbies.

Barneys actually gunna be challenging though, it has scrambles and small climbs depending on your route, but we all have experience with that.

2 seperate camping stores have looked at me like I'm retarded when I asked about bivvy bags even after I explained what they are. I'd never heard of them before I saw it here though, I'm starting to think people dont use them here. They look like an excellent idea though and I'd appreciate waking up with a lot less dampness.

Bivvy bags are a thing here but they're pretty much used by the military and a decent one can still be hit and miss. Your best bet is to get one online because a lot of places only seem to sell the kind you'd use in an emergency only. I've got a Snugpak Stratosphere and while it packs small, you can get a Big Agnes Copper Spur UL1 tent for the same weight. I'm swapping my bivvy out for a tent because the zippers on my liner, sleeping bag and bivvy are all opposed and it makes getting in and out of a total hassle. I also noticed that I didn't have much headroom since I was using an inflatable mat and I was worried I'd wake up to a damp sleeping bag from the moisture in my breath. The Stratosphere is nice in that it's almost like a tiny tent as it has a couple of poles that lift the netting away from your face so it reduces the claustrophobic feeling if you're that way inclined.

I took advantage of Moosejaw's sale and grabbed a Copper Spur UL2 MNTGLO for cheaper than the normal one would have cost me here. It's supposed to rain this weekend but I'm hoping it stays away long enough for me to get a hike and a mountain climb done.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
When someone recommended a bivy bag above they were referring to the mylar blanket emergency type. They fold up smaller than a typical wallet and weigh next to nothing. They are carried and hopefully never used. Should be kept with your first aid kit. My friend came with on his first backpacking trip this summer and was freezing at night. If it wasn't for my emergency blanket he would have been awake all night shivering in freezing weather and hypothermic by morning. Once he had the blanket he was able to get a few hours of sleep.

A traditional bivvy bag is used over your sleeping bag instead of a tent. That's not what anyone was referring to in this case.

As for water, get a filter of some sort. You will always use it. 4L could be enough but running out of water isn't something you want to experience and carrying several days of water is masochistic if you're anywhere other than a desert.

Find a cheap 2 or 3 liter bladder and buy an inline filter like the sawyer or the platypus. Use the bag to collect dirty water and it will function incredibly well while being impossibly easy to use. I can drink as little as 20 oz on a day hike but as much as 6 liters per day while backpacking.

+1 on the msr pocket rocket or something similar. They're crazy small and incredibly convenient.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

We tend to get caught up in the details here, but I think it's great you're going for your first overnight hike and camp. Make sure to take a lot of photos and enjoy yourself.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

One thing you should definitely take is a notepad and pen. I did the first couple of times I went hiking just so I could make a note of what I should have packed and what I can afford to remove from my kit list.

I've been making my own bags of muesli with powdered milk for breakfast, a few cereal bars, fruits/nuts, chocolate, steak bars and I've also been making vacuum sealed bags of stuff like spaghetti bolognese. For coffee I've used either the Nescafe mocha sachets or the coffee bags from Robert Timms. I completely forgot my tea bags like a bonehead last time...

You can get a little pocket burner like the Optimus Crux or MSR Pocket Rocket but you'll also need to get a cook pot to boil water in. You should also really consider a water filter system. Carrying bulk water is a pain and being able to resupply on the move is more efficient, especially if you end up needing more than you brought. Cooking/cleaning/hygiene might also use more than you expect.

This site is pretty decent if you're still needing a few things for your trip http://www.snowys.com.au/ They've got a few cheap stoves under their hiking tab.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
This past weekend I went on my second ever overnighter, from Mt. Algo (CT) to Pawling (NY) on the AT.

Some things I learned:

* A hike is doable with cheapass Walmart gear, but isn't as fun as it could be. My complete setup cost something like $80, but it also weighed about 20 lbs -- just for an overnighter.

* You will always need more water than you think. A water filter will be my very next purchase. Luckily, the Sawyer Minis don't seem to be too pricey.

* Hammocks seem to be a lot more satisfactory than tents. I had a little tent and a foam pad, and it sucked. I got like two hours of sleep. No way I can afford a hammock setup right now, but that's the goal, eventually.

* Always bring a clean shirt, especially if you're going to be spending four hours on trains after two days in the woods.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Watersprite Hut update: It rained. A lot. There was thunder. Thankfully we have all the arches up and a big-rear end tarp, so we put some walls on and set our tents up inside and then drank a bottle of Glenmorangie.

Since it rained, I didn't bring my camera. Here's how you trim joists when you're a badass:

And here's some more shots from the previous weekend:

Watersprite Lake, view from the back of the cabin. I'm coming back here with my trad rack next summer, that tower is screaming for it.

The cabin with 4/9 arches raised.

View from the new trail to the lake & hut. Opal Cone & Atwell at left, Castle Towers distant center, Pyramid at right.

Looking to the left, down the Mamquam valley towards Squamish. I meant to run this one through LAB to bring out the detail in the Tantalus range, but I've been so busy between hut and work that I've not had the time. :(

We should have the roof on this weekend if we're lucky with volunteer turnout. Unfortunately the only dedicated help going up are in their 40's at minimum: we're getting plenty of younger club members coming up on day trips to "check things out", but maybe 5 or 6 willing to commit for the entire weekend. It's incredibly frustrating, I'm hugely disappointed in my wishy-washy generation.

Spending all my free time up there has forced me to drop mad cash on a ski mountaineering outfit though, so that's fun.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Rime posted:

Here's how you trim joists when you're a badass have a death wish:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

That is really, really, really cool.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Can you guys recommend a water filter I can get before October 3? Going on the 4th. Not guaranteed water up there but there is supposed to be a creek at the campsite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Can you guys recommend a water filter I can get before October 3? Going on the 4th. Not guaranteed water up there but there is supposed to be a creek at the campsite

Sawyer Mini - They cost like $20, weigh 2 oz, and you just screw one into the top of its collapsible bag, or do like I did and screw it into the top of an empty 20oz coke bottle. Fill the bottle from a stream, then drink right through the filter like a straw.