Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

No, Strava isn't a pedometer. You can track how far and fast you walked, but it doesn't run in the background and count steps. That said, I use it daily to track my commute (by bike) because I like seeing if I can beat my best times and it's far from the biggest battery drain in my life. I can't say I've ever noticed it being in the top battery use unless I'm doing a 3+ hr ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Academician Nomad
Jan 29, 2016
loving Google. I went to Fi a while back, and now it seems that Hangouts doesn't receive video texts from some people, most of whom are on iPhones, and doesn't bother to tell me I even missed anything. Apparently this is a known issue, with the only advice to switch to Messenger. Except switching to Messenger on my phone doesn't actually make it receive texts, for some reason. Even if it did, then I couldn't text on my computer as easily.

Also they just screwed up the Hangouts Windows/Chrome app to be huge and ugly and take up a ton of screen space and not allow me to have multiple chat windows open at once.

Things were working well like a month ago, Google! Why gently caress everything up?

Now I see there's some dumb new suite of messaging apps coming out, bringing us back to the days we missed so much before Hangouts, when there were many competing Google chat interfaces.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Academician Nomad posted:

Except switching to Messenger on my phone doesn't actually make it receive texts, for some reason.

You need to turn off messaging in Hangouts in addition to turning it on in Messenger.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
The other day, my company told everyone to update their email signatures to be these new fancy pants HTML email signatures.

We use Gmail, but amazingly, the Android Gmail app has no support for HTML signatures or using the same signature I have set up in regular non-mobile Gmail.

Is there a (free?) email app that supports Gmail and HTML signatures?

Eikre
May 2, 2009
I don't really feel like setting up a gmail account on my phone to test, but what happens if you just open up <html> tags in the plaintext? Seems to me that you could just copy the source code. Might not fit in the Signature field if you're using some bullshit base64 JPG, though.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Eikre posted:

I don't really feel like setting up a gmail account on my phone to test, but what happens if you just open up <html> tags in the plaintext? Seems to me that you could just copy the source code. Might not fit in the Signature field if you're using some bullshit base64 JPG, though.

The thought occurred to me, but doing that on a phone seems like a pain in the dick since you have to jump through hoops to view HTML source on Chrome for Android. Might as well try I guess.

E: Yeah, that worked about as well as could be expected. It treats it like plain text, and doesn't convert any tags to HTML. If it does do any conversion, it just esacpes the HTML. So that's not an option.

I have a plain text signature in place, it's just stupid that I can't use one signature across devices.

Mogomra fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Sep 15, 2016

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I've been using a good email client that recently went into a weird subscription thing and I decided to jump ship. What's a good email app that has a unified inbox for all my accounts (gmail and outlook) but also is secure and isnt shady as gently caress? Bonus points if it fits a blue theme, since Gmail's glaring red theme is.. A little much.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
Not that it actually solves your problem, but Inbox is colored blue and matches Outlook. :parrot: I'm also interested in this, just because having to flip flop between apps every so often can be a real annoyance. I love Inbox's UI, though.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

jokes posted:

I've been using a good email client that recently went into a weird subscription thing and I decided to jump ship. What's a good email app that has a unified inbox for all my accounts (gmail and outlook) but also is secure and isnt shady as gently caress? Bonus points if it fits a blue theme, since Gmail's glaring red theme is.. A little much.

Can you link your Outlook account with your gmail account so it all goes into your gmail inbox (you can still send emails with either address) and then use Inbox?

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
The only email that Inbox supports is Gmail. Such a shame, though. EDIT: I guess you could set up something in your other email accounts to forward all email to whatever you're using Inbox with.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

rngd in the womb posted:

The only email that Inbox supports is Gmail. Such a shame, though. EDIT: I guess you could set up something in your other email accounts to forward all email to whatever you're using Inbox with.

Yes. He would set Outlook to forward to Gmail, and add the Outlook account as a "Send Mail as" account within Gmail. That's how I manage all of my accounts.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

You can also go into gmail and set it to retrieve email from your other accounts. This all then shows up in Inbox.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

You can also go into gmail and set it to retrieve email from your other accounts. This all then shows up in Inbox.

That's an option, but I think gmail only checks POP3 accounts once an hour, whereas setting your account to forward to Gmail would push the email to you as soon as you get it.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Unsure about the scenario, but forwarding all your work email to an external address is a big no-no at a lot of places.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Moey posted:

Unsure about the scenario, but forwarding all your work email to an external address is a big no-no at a lot of places.

I assumed it was extremely uncommon to use an outlook.com address for work purposes.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
I'm going to bulk-upload some old family photos to Google Photos - is there any way at all of activating the 'search by face' feature outside the US?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Vykk.Draygo posted:

That's an option, but I think gmail only checks POP3 accounts once an hour, whereas setting your account to forward to Gmail would push the email to you as soon as you get it.

I've got a bunch of me@clientwebsiteoncrappywebmail.com accounts polled from a central Gmail and I sometimes get them faster on my phone than I do on my desktop

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

jokes posted:

This will probably come off as a joke but I use a BlackBerry Priv (the android one with a slider keyboard) and the hub acts as a unified inbox for everything (texts, emails, Facebook, more poo poo) and I really like it. It also places a heavy emphasis on privacy and security. I think the hub is available in the play store for any android phone but it's a subscription model thing if you're not using one of the two blackberry branded android phones.

Not a joke. The Priv is cool.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Scaramouche posted:

I've got a bunch of me@clientwebsiteoncrappywebmail.com accounts polled from a central Gmail and I sometimes get them faster on my phone than I do on my desktop

Is it POP3 on the desktop too, or IMAP with Push?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I assumed it was extremely uncommon to use an outlook.com address for work purposes.

Oh. I thought it was just connecting to an exchange server, so I assumed work.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Is it POP3 on the desktop too, or IMAP with Push?

Well I meant Gmail in a desktop browser window. Obvs it wouldn't be faster than sitting the webmail HORDE interface or whatever. But it's definitely not every hour

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Scaramouche posted:

Well I meant Gmail in a desktop browser window. Obvs it wouldn't be faster than sitting the webmail HORDE interface or whatever. But it's definitely not every hour

Oh, I misunderstood what you were saying. My polling estimate was largely based on my own account:

edit: perhaps the polling time is set by the alternate email provider (in this case, Comcast).

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

jokes posted:

Rip, CloudMagic. :(

I can't tell if the new subscription thing is just for their extra features, or the whole email client.

shookwell
Oct 3, 2004
no fuckin cornflakes

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Oh, I misunderstood what you were saying. My polling estimate was largely based on my own account:

edit: perhaps the polling time is set by the alternate email provider (in this case, Comcast).

I don't know if it changed, but when gmail first added that feature, it would change your polling time based on how often you got emails. If you get an email every few minutes, it will check very often, if you get a few emails a day it waits 30-60 m,minutes between polling. .

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Just saw someone in some other thread posting about getting viruses on their phone from a image host, but the op here says not to bother with antivirus. Is this something I just shouldn't worry about then?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I believe on phones you've gotta install the malware/virus yourself. Its not like a desktop computer. As long as you don't install some weird app from the web, you should be fine.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Davoren posted:

Just saw someone in some other thread posting about getting viruses on their phone from a image host, but the op here says not to bother with antivirus. Is this something I just shouldn't worry about then?

You don't need it.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

spincube posted:

I'm going to bulk-upload some old family photos to Google Photos - is there any way at all of activating the 'search by face' feature outside the US?
There certainly is, because I'm in the UK and enabled it when it was released.

Buggered if I remember how though.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Allo doesn't do true SMS. It does SMS relay. Booo Google. BOOOO.

From reddit:

quote:

Technically, it doesn't have SMS. It has SMS relay. You can communicate with a person who uses SMS, but since it's relayed through Google, your phone number isn't used to send the message to them. So the other person may end up with messages from some unknown number from Google's services, if the other person is using iOS (or other). If they have Android, they get a "preview message", basically an instant app for Allo, it looks like.

It also means that you must have a data connection to send Allo messages. The person receiving it on an Android phone also probably needs data too, since it's a push notification and not an actual SMS. On iOS they will receive SMS and can receive it without a data connection.
Interesting thought I had. Google knows when a phone number is associated with an Android account. They don't know that every phone that's not Android is an iPhone. So if you message a Windows Phone using friend with Allo, they'll get prompted to download an app from the iPhone store. Ha.

teagone fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Sep 21, 2016

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

teagone posted:

Allo doesn't do true SMS. It does SMS relay. Booo Google. BOOOO.

From reddit:

Reddit is absolutely melting down over this and it's hilarious. Some are claiming they'll go buy an iPhone 7 Plus, some claim they'll just stay on Hangouts, some say they'll use Textra or Messenger. Most just say Google fucks up everything.

This is all due to some leaker claiming that it WILL have true SMS.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Sep 21, 2016

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
I know, right? Who could ever believe Google doing something stupid with one of their messaging apps.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I'll still probably use Allo and ask all my friends and family to use it too.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Aaronicon posted:

I know, right? Who could ever believe Google doing something stupid with one of their messaging apps.

Obviously they will, it's Google. But people are mad because the leaker wasn't right and everyone's forgetting that SMS was never officially promised anyway, not even the SMS relay we got.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Oh god it doesn't use SMS :qq: this is clearly the worst thing ever (literally no one I know uses SMS)

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Knifegrab posted:

Oh god it doesn't use SMS :qq: this is clearly the worst thing ever (literally no one I know uses SMS)

Don't be dumb

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I really don't see the point in Allo. The Google assistant seems cool, but why would I open up Allo and type in all that nonsense when I can just use OK Google to issue those commands? All my friends are either on Facebook Messenger or use SMS anyway.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

All of my friends are employed and thus use Hangouts. I think I'll use Hangouts.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The vast majority of my chatting with friends is done either from my tablet or my Chromebook/PC since I tend to put my phone down and ignore it when I'm home. Allo is a step back from messaging portability, so that's a pretty big reason why I'm not interested at all with it.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I will continue to use hangouts, I'm not sure what the target market for allo is but i know I'm definitely not in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Don't worry. Maybe Google will finally make a true knockoff iMessage in their 2017 messenger app.